Does Mike White have a realistic chance of keeping the starting job when Zach Wilson returns?

T0mShane

Can Mike White steal the QB-of-the-future job from Zach Wilson?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Can Mike White steal the QB-of-the-future job from Zach Wilson?

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

It’s not really a personal attack as much as an observation. Bringing someone’s mother into it is never a good thing, this board has been so brutally negative lately, that yesterday was like a storm after a decade drought. Yet, I’m not  goons lie, I felt it strange yesterday that instead of enjoying the win you immediately went to discounting Mike White and started in immediately on The Zach thing. Yesterday was amazing and probably one of the best things that could happen to the Jets and yes, even Zach. He will get  his chance again. 

I am being realistic about white. He played well, he makes good fast decisions. Looks like a Mac Jones clone. I don’t see the ability to stretch the field.  He had 170 passing yards to running back's. The job should be his until he plays poorly. I have not seen nearly enough to delay the development of the #2 overall pick. If he continues to put on games like yesterday of course you keep it going. We won a game two weeks ago, I’m not sure why you’re acting like we are the 0-18 browns 

11 hours ago, AFJF said:

If he keeps playing like this it's a no-brainer.  But here's the thing.

The number one thing that jumped out to me today was the use of 4 and 5 WR sets.  Up until now it was a TON of 2 TE or 2 back sets with Wilson having 3 receivers to throw to and a couple of guys who are better suited to block.

White had opportunities today that Wilson has not yet had.  Imagine being a QB and having these two groups to choose from as your top guys on game day.  Which are you taking?

I seem to remember there being some 5 wide sets for ZW. However, they were rarely productive as the D would line up for obvious pass situations, bring pressure, and Zack would be running for his life. The fanbase would then rip LaFleur for setting up such an obvious pass play... How, maybe those 5 wide would include a Kroft or Griffin on occasion, but still, the formation never really bore fruit for Zack.

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Mike White played great for his first start ever, but the more important part is the team played better. We finally got to see what this team can do and that was against an amazing team. The fact we won has little to do with the fact we got to see what LaFleur is trying to do, besides suck balls, I'm fine with chalking part of it up to him finally getting over his fear of heights and finally going into the booth but the reality is Mike White ran this offense perfectly. Will he always run it perfectly? Likely not but he certainly did yesterday. Zach's development has been shaky at best and like it or not it was holding the entire team back. Some of us felt he should have never been handed the starting job and could use some time for everyone else to figure it out first, not even a knock on him, but this entire team from coaches to players are doing this sh*t for the first time. Mike White may have done Zach a huge favor yesterday and could have saved the kids career. This team figured out how the hell you do it finally, that can only help Zach when he come back. 

The blocking, as a whole, looked like it was one coordinated effort in concert with each other.

Not sure how a QB change affects that so much, but it certainly looked very different.

• Upvote 2

Bros....we all know how this goes. Off the heels of a great team win, we will sh*t the bed on the national stage,

I like White...I'm rooting for him...but Thursday will tell us a lot about this team.

Past Practice dictates we crap the bed on Thursday. I would love nothing more than to break the cycle.

....and no way they keep Wilson on the bench when he comes back. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The blocking, as a whole, looked like it was one coordinated effort in concert with each other.

Not sure how a QB change affects that so much, but it certainly looked very different.

A QB that gets rid of the ball fast and wants to get the ball out of his hands asap makes an OL look a lot better than the guy holding the ball waiting for someone to get open down field.

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

A QB that gets rid of the ball fast and wants to get the ball out of his hands asap makes an OL look a lot better than the guy holding the ball waiting for someone to get open down field.

I am speaking more to the blocking seemed to have a flow and progression to it. The screen plays were well blocked, as a whole.

These were not things in terms of qb release time. The unit meshed much better.

22 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Mike White played great for his first start ever, but the more important part is the team played better. We finally got to see what this team can do and that was against an amazing team. The fact we won has little to do with the fact we got to see what LaFleur is trying to do, besides suck balls, I'm fine with chalking part of it up to him finally getting over his fear of heights and finally going into the booth but the reality is Mike White ran this offense perfectly. Will he always run it perfectly? Likely not but he certainly did yesterday. Zach's development has been shaky at best and like it or not it was holding the entire team back. Some of us felt he should have never been handed the starting job and could use some time for everyone else to figure it out first, not even a knock on him, but this entire team from coaches to players are doing this sh*t for the first time. Mike White may have done Zach a huge favor yesterday and could have saved the kids career. This team figured out how the hell you do it finally, that can only help Zach when he come back. 

I don’t disagree with any of that and none of my posts suggest otherwise.

12 hours ago, RSJ said:

I think that a QB should sit for at lease a year before playing. Preferably 2-3 years. This idea that they should come in and start is a bad one imo.

But if Mike White does keep playing well and winning you have to stick with him. Parcells certainly would and so would any of the great coaches. Bledsoe literally had just signed a huge deal with NE the year Brady took over.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Bledsoe, HOF material and the GOAT -ZERO comparison in terms of EVERYTHING QB.

16 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Listening to the quotes and the way people talk about him I really get the feeling the locker room much prefer White. 

White's a DCowboys castoff, are we to believe this is the QB of the NYJ future?

• WTF? 1

Wilson had plenty of chances to make plays on the underneath stuff. He struggled mightily. His accuracy and timing was terrible, and it cost the Jet's  points. Defenses will take away those short routes, and White will have to show an intermediate game. If he can do that, we should have a QB controversy. 

I think as long as White is playing well, never mind winning, he stays as the starter. The offense was non existent until White took the helm. Zach is probably still the future, but currently he doesn't have to be the immediate here and now. If Zach was playing well before being injured things would be different, but he clearly needs a year to sit or at least some time on the sideline to watch and learn. Ride the White lighting as long as you can. 

• Upvote 1

He looked good but he had the benefit of playing a team that couldn't know what to prepare for and didn't seem to adjust as well as they should have to cut off more of the short passes. We'll have to see how the next string of games go for him. If he looks worse each game as teams have more opportunity to prepare then we know we have a very good backup on the roster and that's good. If White adapts and continues playing well then I could see the coaching staff wanting to keep Wilson on the bench learning a little longer which is probably the right move. White emerging as at least a good backup has unfortunately been the highlight of the season.

• Upvote 1

White reminded me of old Drew Brees.   Quick decisions and underneath stuff all day long.  Just one of the all time great Jets games ever!

The blocking was better for him than for Zach, and that's exactly what happens when you sustain drives and the D-line gets tired.

Two hundred passing yards to RB's and TE's.  Just a great job by White to take advantage, but I don't think that's sustainable, unless he really is Drew Brees.

Now, with tape on him, let's see if the Colts blitz him more and take away the short throws.  

And frickin Michael Carter looked like Johnny Hector out there!!!  

14 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

He looked good but he had the benefit of playing a team that couldn't know what to prepare for and didn't seem to adjust as well as they should have to cut off more of the short passes. We'll have to see how the next string of games go for him. If he looks worse each game as teams have more opportunity to prepare then we know we have a very good backup on the roster and that's good. If White adapts and continues playing well then I could see the coaching staff wanting to keep Wilson on the bench learning a little longer which is probably the right move. White emerging as at least a good backup has unfortunately been the highlight of the season.

Yeah, this dink sh*t for 400 yards is not sustainable.  

But that was one of the best games in a decade.  Fitz beating NE at home and this game.

We know as Jets fans to revel in it, because it's Jets and good times are always fleeting.

• Upvote 3

I think he if he plays well — resembling what he did yesterday in any way — he has a very good chance of keeping the job. He facilitated the offense and ran it in the way it’s supposed to be run. Easily the best QB performance of the year and in terms of consistent, reliable, professional play it’s the best we’ve seen in several years.

I think Saleh was feeling the heat a little bit after the Pats massacre. This is exactly what he needed — evidence that he and his coaching staff know what they’re doing and the young project QB was the issue and needs time.

Wilson is raw and has struggled. I’m hopeful this is an eye opening experience for him that lights a fire under his ass — there’s no reason to rush him back.

Thursday, on the road on a short week with a defense that now has a whole game of film to watch — this is a big test for White. Bengals seemed caught of guard and flat. They played zone and didn’t adjust as White dinked and dunked and picked them apart. I think they were waiting for him to self destruct and wanted to “make him beat us” which he did.

I think you’ll see a lot more man and a lot more pressure on Thursday night. How White responds will give us a better idea what he can do.

• Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Yeah, that’s the rub, he had that “ surprise bitches” thing back up get for a game or two. Once they get film we will see if he can do the job for read. Likely we have found a solid back up though, but weirder shit has happen. 

Mike White has a higher floor than Zach, but Zach has a much higher ceiling. If both QBs play at their floor level, Mike will outplay Zach. If both play at their best, Zach will definitely outplay Mike. However, Zach hasn't shown his ceiling yet, and we don't know if Mike has yet, but he looked pretty good out there against the bengals. Hopefully the coaching staff will know what's best for the team, be it good chemistry with their planned future or confidence in their team.