Does Mike White have a realistic chance of keeping the starting job when Zach Wilson returns?

T0mShane

Can Mike White steal the QB-of-the-future job from Zach Wilson?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Can Mike White steal the QB-of-the-future job from Zach Wilson?

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Ok. I have no idea what game you watched on Sunday vs the rest of the year

There is a very significant difference between play design and QB's reads and decisions.  Believe it or not, the OC doesn't have the ability to physically control his quarterbacks.

If you honestly believe the Jets were running nothing but deep routes all year long, leaving Wilson with absolutely no other choices, then you might want to really ask what league you've been watching all of these years, because it apparently hasn't been the NFL.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

There is a very significant difference between play design and QB's reads and decisions.  Believe it or not, the OC doesn't have the ability to physically control his quarterbacks.

If you honestly believe the Jets were running nothing but deep routes all year long, leaving Wilson with absolutely no other choices, then you might want to really ask what league you've been watching all of these years, because it apparently hasn't been the NFL.

So then why was everyone bitching before? 
The answer that the short pass was there and that the QB isn’t forced to go long is wrong and laughs in the face of game plans and player packages.  
Has nothing to do with me or ZW  seeing the imaginary short game and play calls you think you watched

Just now, Jet Nut said:

The answer that the short pass was there and that the QB isn’t forced to go long is wrong

You know we're talking about American football, right?

What you're now suddenly insisting was the case all year long has literally never been done by any team in league history.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I just watched an Instagram video where White’s teammates hosed him down with silly string, which is definitive proof that Zach Wilson is done here. I haven’t seen a sports team rally around a guy this hard since maybe The Gipper.

nico in his garage now figuring out how to put nitric acid into a silly string can for Mike White's next big win

• Haha 1

I just watched an Instagram video where White’s teammates hosed him down with silly string, which is definitive proof that Zach Wilson is done here. I haven’t seen a sports team rally around a guy this hard since maybe The Gipper.

You sure about that?

RexIsComingBack.gif

• Haha 2

The team rallied like that around Jamal too.  Just sayin.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

The answer that the short pass was there and that the QB isn’t forced to go long is wrong and laughs in the face of game plans and player packages.  
Has nothing to do with me or ZW  seeing the imaginary short game and play calls you think you watched

Most plays in the NFL happen at various levels there is almost always some type of check down. When a team tries to take away parts of that game plan its up to the QB to adjust his game and exploit, or try to exploit, what the defense is giving him.

Zach Wilson with all his talent is simply not ready to do that and Mike White is. Will Mike White have some limitations ? Possibly... all QB's have bad games . Will teams now try to take away the short game ?? Pretty sure the Colts will try too Thursday night and we will soon see how Mr. White Adapts if he does and shows you he can exploit more than just the short game then watch out because sh*t gonna change real quick if he turns out to be "the guy". There is really nothing other than those facts to discuss. Enjoy the moment and lets kick the Colts ass on Thursday night and show the football nation what the ******* Jets are made of its about time we do rather than embarrassing ourselves on the national Stage 

• Sympathy 1

Play MW until the later of him crashing and ZW being healthy.   

What NFL QB like MW has experienced long term success?  Tom Brady?  Chad Pennington?

ZW is the future potential FQB. MW is the backup unless another team gets crazy.  But for 2021, let it play out. 

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

What NFL QB like MW has experienced long term success?  Tom Brady?  Chad Pennington?

ZW is the future potential FQB. MW is the backup unless another team gets crazy.  But for 2021, let it play out. 

Matt Hasselbeck.  Trent Green.  Mark Brunell.  Jake Delhomme.  Brad Johnson.  Kurt Warner.  Tony Romo. RIch Gannon.  There are dozens of guys especially if you are willing to go back a ways.  It's not likely, but people can't act like it's unheard of.  The season Testaverde had in 1998 is way more improbable than White being better than Wilson.

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

You know we're talking about American football, right?

What you're now suddenly insisting was the case all year long has literally never been done by any team in league history.

You’re out of you mind thinking the same check downs we’re there for ZW, same formations and it’s just a matter of he didn’t get there.  That you actually believe a play called with a pass to the flat as the first progression is the same as the third.  Actually it says you need a course in American football.  And really, offense have never been dumbed down before and simplified for the backup?   This is a joke right?  The joke is explained at about the 1:58 Mark

Never been done before.  Literally.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Is the “like MW” thing supposed to mean “throwing underneath” or “noodle arm” (since I see Chadwick’s name there).  Brady has a strong arm and can absolutely heave it.  

34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You’re out of you mind thinking the same check downs we’re there for ZW, same formations and it’s just a matter of he didn’t get there.  That you actually believe a play called with a pass to the flat as the first progression is the same as the third.

Except your repeated adamant proclamation was those options never existed at all.  Perhaps you have somewhat realized your prior point was indisputably wrong, considering your new argument entirely contradicts it.  That's some progress, regardless of how impressed you are with having managed to form an argument against solely yourself.

Now the next step is if you pick up on QB reads and WR routes actually being slightly different things, you may just be able to further celebrate your argument against yourself.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Is the “like MW” thing supposed to mean “throwing underneath” or “noodle arm” (since I see Chadwick’s name there).  Brady has a strong arm and can absolutely heave it.  

E****ingnough already with the Mike White is a noodle arm.  Literally everybody talks about his arm strength.  

Strength: Arm Strength

Mike White doesn’t have a Josh Allen level arm, but he can fire a pass in to his receivers when coverage is tight. More importantly, he has the ability to make throws all over the field and fire passes into tight coverage with both accuracy and velocity.

We’ll touch upon the former shortly, but for a player who isn’t known for his athleticism, White’s arm strength is a reliable force in the plus column.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2018/03/24/2018-nfl-draft-key-strengths-weaknesses-mike-white/2/

Pros:

White is a gunslinger. When he sets up in the pocket, he’s truly as good a passer as any quarterback in this draft. 

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2018/4/9/17213430/2018-nfl-draft-profile-mike-white-western-kentucky-qb-wku-hilltoppers-quarterback-g5-conference-usa

POSITIVES

Big arm. White has the strength to get the football to all three levels and outside the hash.

High football IQ. Knows what he is supposed to do.

Able to use touch to drop the ball over defenders.

Can push the ball downfield.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769202-mike-white-nfl-draft-2018-scouting-report-for-dallas-cowboys-pick

Strengths
  • Arm talent is the first thing you notice
  • Former high school pitcher with 90 MPH fastball who can crank up that heat when he needs to
  • Has good drive accuracy
  • Able to push the ball into tight windows
  • Has velocity and accuracy to attack the middle of the field

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mike-white/32005748-4936-7864-3ac7-015862958e61

TRENGTHS: Prototypical size in the eyes of NFL teams...efficient delivery with natural arm velocity, throwing ropes...touch and placement downfield are both strengths to his game.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2018/06/02/exclusive-scouting-report-rookie-qb-mike-white-creates-one-of-cowboys-most-understated-position-battles/

He does a nice job of climbing the pocket then throwing an accurate pass down the field. The aggressive pocket passer has good footwork and field awareness.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/player/42534/

Is that enough?  Please don't make me start with the videos.  DWCJr out!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

@Jet Nut are you actually listening to what Simms is saying here ???? 2 Horrible interceptions ??? Both bounced off players hands one hit the player in the ******* face. His description of what amounts to dropped passes  is "horrible" Int's ? I question at that point whether he even watched the game. This could have been the dumbest segment I have ever seen Simms do and its all due to the fact he was all over Zach Wilson's dick as the second coming. I like Simms ability to evaluate QB's coming out of college but this sh*t he is spewing here is pure nonsense. Maybe he should take a look at some of Zach's truly poor interceptions and bad decisions with wide open players underneath the defense before he starts pointing any fingers at Mike White. This evaluation is what's horrible

4 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Except your repeated adamant proclamation was those options never existed at all.  Perhaps you have somewhat realized your prior point was indisputably wrong, considering your new argument entirely contradicts it.  That's some progress, regardless of how impressed you are with having managed to form an argument against solely yourself.

Now the next step is if you pick up on QB reads and WR routes actually being slightly different things, you may just be able to further celebrate your argument against yourself.

Are you really going to hang on to your childish rant?  
“Literally” no team makes the kinds of changes others and I suggested? 
An argument against myself?   Really?  Want even arguing, you responded and then decided to get snippy.  
Bye

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

@Jet Nut are you actually listening to what Simms is saying here ???? 2 Horrible interceptions ??? Both bounced off players hands one hit the player in the ******* face. His description of what amounts to dropped passes  is "horrible" Int's ? I question at that point whether he even watched the game. This could have been the dumbest segment I have ever seen Simms do and its all due to the fact he was all over Zach Wilson's dick as the second coming. I like Simms ability to evaluate QB's coming out of college but this sh*t he is spewing here is pure nonsense. Maybe he should take a look at some of Zach's truly poor interceptions and bad decisions with wide open players underneath the defense before he starts pointing any fingers at Mike White. This evaluation is what's horrible

Yeah he took it over the top.  But his evaluation of the play calling was dead on. Did you listen to the 7-10 others?  The game plan was changed, please don’t go out as far as BG and don’t try and make the obvious wrong by ripping the rookie for being a rookie.  That sounded ridiculously childish

This is a very good question posed by Tom in which I voted yes as I would like to see if LaFleurs offensive system actually does work with competent QB play so we don’t have to make a coaching change so early in this coaching staff regime and based off of this one game White is the one that is able to run it effectively but it remains to be seen if he can continue to play well Now my question is that if  White continues his impressive play and clearly is better than Zach at this time being that White is a restricted free agent after this season what type of offer to you propose to White to keep him here. Us old timers remember the Matt Robinson / Richard Todd situation quite a few years ago which was fracturing the team and was resolved when Robinson was traded to Denver if I recall correctly for a first round draft pick. Don’t want a repeat of that fracturing especially with such a young team but do you give up on Zach who clearly has all the physical attributes needed to play the position six games into his professional career? Just so many questions that only time will tell This is an Interesting scenario that really needs to play out 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah he took it over the top.  But his evaluation of the play calling was dead on. Did you listen to the 7-10 others?  The game plan was changed, please don’t go out as far as BG and don’t try and make the obvious wrong by ripping the rookie for being a rookie.  That sounded ridiculously childish

I'm not ripping Zach at all I want the kid to succeed but he does not look ready. The talent is obviously there but he has to learn to play within the system and then take his shots when the defense adjusts. That being said if Mike White continues to progress and play well in the process he should stay in there.

If Mike White wins tonight and next Sunday against the Bills, Saleh’s hand is forced whether he likes it or not.  You cannot, under any circumstances pull the plug on the white mike experiment if we are sitting at 4-5 after the bills game.

If white goes 1-1 or 0-2 these next 2 games, Saleh can go back to zach with no repercussions.

I believe white has to win the next 2 to keep this job.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I'm not ripping Zach at all I want the kid to succeed but he does not look ready. The talent is obviously there but he has to learn to play within the system and then take his shots when the defense adjusts. That being said if Mike White continues to progress and play well in the process he should stay in there.

Crazy how this boats equates not ready with he sucks. Kid was never gonna be ready coming from the program he did, even if the front office didn’t recognize that. It’s also 100% ok, kid may turn out great but not right now, that’s it. 

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If Mike White wins tonight and next Sunday against the Bills, Saleh’s hand is forced whether he likes it or not.  You cannot, under any circumstances pull the plug on the white mike experiment if we are sitting at 4-5 after the bills game.

If white goes 1-1 or 0-2 these next 2 games, Saleh can go back to zach with no repercussions.

I believe white has to win the next 2 to keep this job.

0-2  we see Zach. 1-1 I think Zach’s injury need another week. 2-0? Zach might end up on IR. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

0-2  we see Zach. 1-1 I think Zach’s injury need another week. 2-0? Zach might end up on IR. 

We’ll see where the Bills game spread ends up if the Jets beat the Colts but as of now 2-0 would make three straight weeks of winning as double digit underdogs.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

E****ingnough already with the Mike White is a noodle arm.  Literally everybody talks about his arm strength.  

Is that enough?  Please don't make me start with the videos.  DWCJr out!

I was quoting a post that mentioned MW and Chad in the same sentence.  And I said “supposed to mean”. 

Is the “like MW” thing supposed to mean “throwing underneath” or “noodle arm” (since I see Chadwick’s name there).  Brady has a strong arm and can absolutely heave it.  

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Are you really going to hang on to your childish rant?  
“Literally” no team makes the kinds of changes others and I suggested? 
An argument against myself?   Really?  Want even arguing, you responded and then decided to get snippy.  
Bye

You repeatedly said that the Jets were running nothing but deep receivers and there were absolutely no underneath options for Wilson ever.  Nothing has changed about how laughably wrong that will always be.

By all means though, keep fighting that windmill, you're doing a bang up job at it.