Does Mike White have a realistic chance of keeping the starting job when Zach Wilson returns?

T0mShane

Can Mike White steal the QB-of-the-future job from Zach Wilson?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Can Mike White steal the QB-of-the-future job from Zach Wilson?

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Long term, no. But short term, i.e. an extra week or two when Wilson is healthy -- yes.

I think Mike White keeps this job as long as he plays relatively close to what he did Sunday. If he has a bad game this week and we lose, we could see Zach back next week, but if we keep winning games with White and he keeps putting up 300/400 yard games he isn't going anywhere. 

It wouldn't be fair to White, it wouldn't be fair to the team and it wouldn't even be fair to Wilson who would be torn apart if the team regresses after he gets put back in.  

• Upvote 2

If Mike White wins tonight and next Sunday against the Bills, Saleh’s hand is forced whether he likes it or not.  You cannot, under any circumstances pull the plug on the white mike experiment if we are sitting at 4-5 after the bills game.
If white goes 1-1 or 0-2 these next 2 games, Saleh can go back to zach with no repercussions.
I believe white has to win the next 2 to keep this job.

1-1 may be tough too. The locker room picks the QB and not the coach. It still may be tough to convince the locker room Zach is better for winning if Mike White is 2-1 as a starter.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If Mike White wins tonight and next Sunday against the Bills, Saleh’s hand is forced whether he likes it or not.  You cannot, under any circumstances pull the plug on the white mike experiment if we are sitting at 4-5 after the bills game.

If white goes 1-1 or 0-2 these next 2 games, Saleh can go back to zach with no repercussions.

I believe white has to win the next 2 to keep this job.

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

1-1 may be tough too. The locker room picks the QB and not the coach. It still may be tough to convince the locker room Zach is better for winning if Mike White is 2-1 as a starter.

I think the record matters but if white puts up 300-350 yard games with multiple TDs but we lose because of fumbles/defense he still keeps the job.  

I think the record matters but if white puts up 300-350 yard games with multiple TDs but we lose because of fumbles/defense he still keeps the job.  

Another good point. Look the Jets have nothing to lose by giving White a ton of opportunity here. At the end of the season they could end up getting a ton for him in a trade even if the consensus is he is a solid starter and nothing more (see Kirk Cousins). Or they find out he is a franchise QB and they found their guy finally. Or they find out he is a subpar starter and still get something in a trade. If I am the Jets, unless White totally craps the bed, I am in no rush to bring Zach back.

On 10/31/2021 at 9:52 PM, T0mShane said:

The Jets have the Colts and the Bills upcoming. If White wins them both or at least keeps the Jets competitive in these games, do you shoehorn Zach Wilson back in as the starter when he’s healthy?

Great question.  I think the answer has to be yes.  If he beats Indy in Indy and then the Bills, then he deserves to keep the spot.  Imagine if Belichuk would have given the starting job back to Bledsoe all those years ago?

• WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Another good point. Look the Jets have nothing to lose by giving White a ton of opportunity here. At the end of the season they could end up getting a ton for him in a trade even if the consensus is he is a solid starter and nothing more (see Kirk Cousins). Or they find out he is a franchise QB and they found their guy finally. Or they find out he is a subpar starter and still get something in a trade. If I am the Jets, unless White totally craps the bed, I am in no rush to bring Zach back.

Agreed. If Flacco had come in and put up the numbers White did last week I would still want Wilson to start when healthy. But White is a different story. There is some upside for this franchise if White continues to play well.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I was quoting a post that mentioned MW and Chad in the same sentence.  And I said “supposed to mean”. 

Is the “like MW” thing supposed to mean “throwing underneath” or “noodle arm” (since I see Chadwick’s name there).  Brady has a strong arm and can absolutely heave it.  

Don't worry.  My rant was directed board wide.  Shotgun, not sniper.  I have been hearing that sh*t all week just because they guy can complete passes to backs.  Please don't make me go back and look up the post you quoted.  Don't get me started again!

FWIW, I will pat myself on the back because they took my two suggestions - LaFleur to the booth and taking the ball when they won the toss.  I didn't think either would necessarily work, but I had been making those suggestions for a few weeks.  

Tie or anything close to it will obviously and should go to Wilson. Mike White will be held to a different standard and will probably need to demonstrate effectiveness is most of the games he plays. Maybe he gets one stinker as a mulligan. Maybe. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Great question.  I think the answer has to be yes.  If he beats Indy in Indy and then the Bills, then he deserves to keep the spot.  Imagine if Belichuk would have given the starting job back to Bledsoe all those years ago?

What is the confusion Smashmouth?  If White beats Indy and the Bills, he should stay the starter.  When Bledsoe went down and they gave the ball to Brady, all he did was win.  The unwritten rule was the starting QB doesn't lose his job because he was hurt.  I even remember the interview with Bledsoe who was PISSED.  Worked out good for Belichuk that he didn't listen to conventional thinking.  Matter of fact, that was the ONE thing he did that worked.  

12 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

You repeatedly said that the Jets were running nothing but deep receivers and there were absolutely no underneath options for Wilson ever.  Nothing has changed about how laughably wrong that will always be.

By all means though, keep fighting that windmill, you're doing a bang up job at it.

Only a fool would take this take from our conversation.  But how foolish you first take was and your insistence that teams don’t ever change offense’s, none have ever, I get it.  Try and say I said all they threw was deep or whatever with Wilson.  I said it was a different offense, shorter with trick plays thrown in.  Want to be the clown and argue I don’t know what I’m watching, good for you.  Argue the videos, all the commentators etc and me.  Whatever makes you feel smart

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Only a fool would take this take from our conversation.  But how foolish you first take was and your insistence that teams don’t ever change offense’s, none have ever, I get it.  

You quite literally proclaimed there were no short pass options and he was forced to go long.

Please do keep telling us more about how foolish your own argument is, it's the first coherent point you've made.

On 11/3/2021 at 8:15 PM, Jet Nut said:

The answer that the short pass was there and that the QB isn’t forced to go long is wrong

8 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

You quite literally proclaimed there were no short pass options and he was forced to go long.

Please do keep telling us more about how foolish your own argument is, it's the first coherent point you've made.

The calls were more for long plays with ZW over MW.   I was right, a fools argument.  Now where did I say there were no short passes?  Or every pass was a long pass? But please insist that literally no team has ever changed an offense from longer passes to shorter.  When you can prove that come back otherwise walk away.  I said the offenses game plan was different last week. I didn’t call for your mindless take that it wasn’t.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

The calls were for long plays.  I was right, a fools argument.  Note where did I say there were no short passes?  Or every pass was a long pass. But please insist that literally no team has ever changed an offense from longer passes to shorter.  When you can prove that come back otherwise walk away

Happy to help with continuing your argument with no one but yourself.

On 11/3/2021 at 8:15 PM, Jet Nut said:

The answer that the short pass was there and that the QB isn’t forced to go long is wrong

In typical Jets fashion we’ve likely stumbled into the worst case scenario.

We wont get to see enough of White to see if he’s legit but have seen enough for the fans to get excited about him. Wilson will probably be back before him and will now face serious pressure to play well or get benched purely for performance. Could have avoided that if White kept the job for a while.

Everything always goes as wrong as is imaginable. Why am I still here?

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

We wont get to see enough of White to see if he’s legit but have seen enough for the fans to get excited about him. Wilson will probably be back before him and will now face serious pressure to play well or get benched purely for performance. Could have avoided that if White kept the job for a while.

Yup...

Someone wrote about what it meant to be SOJ last week....

And this is exactly it.  Just when things start looking good...Bam, they find a way to make it worse than before out of it.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

At this point there's nothing left but to hope more than anything else that the light comes on for Wilson.

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

At this point there's nothing left but to hope more than anything else that the light comes on for Wilson.

Yep, it's the only hope at this point 

The good news is that a number of guys are starting to play really well on offense, so he has a real chance to come back in and look like a different player. 

34 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Mike White getting hurt after yet another amazing drive to start the game is such a tease

Classic Jets. Just classic Jets. 

On 11/4/2021 at 8:41 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I was quoting a post that mentioned MW and Chad in the same sentence.  And I said “supposed to mean”. 

Is the “like MW” thing supposed to mean “throwing underneath” or “noodle arm” (since I see Chadwick’s name there).  Brady has a strong arm and can absolutely heave it.  

So...

maybe there is a reason to mention White and Pennington in the same sentence...