A John Beck look alike was on the Jets sideline with a headset on.

Jetsbb

18 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

I noticed pregame a guy with a Jets hat on I never saw before that looked a lot like John Beck. I took this blurry snippet of him from gamepass when the camera panned to the sideline. I wouldn't put it pass the Jets to hire him and not announce it like they did with Cavenaugh.

1006241536_johnbeck.thumb.PNG.23d44164d569a2178ea0e91849258e25.PNG

2064082874_base(2).thumb.png.1c62fe2d7103dc319720ead49d453426.png

wow that does look like him

• Upvote 2

Excellent spot, mentioned this a while back. Losing Gregg Knapp was clearly a blow to the whole organisation but especially the development of around QB. It may also be the reason LaFleur has chosen to stay on the sidelines rather than coach from the booth and we saw today a totally different offender when MLF moved upstairs…if having an experienced QB coach / mentor on the sidelines enables MLF to just focus on being the OC and calling the plays then this would make a ton of sense 

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

How many coaches does Zach need?  Mike White started his first game ever and Saleh and LaFleur didn’t even hesitate with the decision to put LaFleur up in the box to call the game.  How many coaches need to hold Zach’s hand to get him though a game?   

Mike White has had 8 since entering the league (not including personal coaches)

Wilson has had 3 (I counted Knapp for both guys)

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

How many coaches does Zach need?  Mike White started his first game ever and Saleh and LaFleur didn’t even hesitate with the decision to put LaFleur up in the box to call the game.  How many coaches need to hold Zach’s hand to get him though a game?   

As many as it takes.

I suspect if it is Beck, it's not to get him through the games but more to help him during the week.  If ZW likes him as a coach and finds him helpful - then hire the guy to work with him during the week.

Like ZW or not it's the Jets job to do whatever they can to make it work. The Jets are tied to ZW and If what they're doing now isn't working then try something else. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

I noticed pregame a guy with a Jets hat on I never saw before that looked a lot like John Beck. I took this blurry snippet of him from gamepass when the camera panned to the sideline. I wouldn't put it pass the Jets to hire him and not announce it like they did with Cavenaugh.

1006241536_johnbeck.thumb.PNG.23d44164d569a2178ea0e91849258e25.PNG

2064082874_base(2).thumb.png.1c62fe2d7103dc319720ead49d453426.png

the fact that in both of the pics of him in this thread he's near a QB, Flacco in the first, and White in the second is pretty compelling evidence.

Certainly looks like him.

With that said, I always wonder about the awe some folks hold "QB trainers" or "QB Media Talking Heads" who themselves were utterly trash QB's.

Those who can't, teach?

Career NFL statistics
TD–INT:    3–7
Passing yards:    1,417
QB Rating:    67.6
Rushing Touchdowns:    3

I guess Luke Falk might have a second career as a "QB Guru" in his future too then....

52 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Certainly looks like him.

With that said, I always wonder about the awe some folks hold "QB trainers" or "QB Media Talking Heads" who themselves were utterly trash QB's.

Those who can't, teach?

Career NFL statistics
TD–INT:    3–7
Passing yards:    1,417
QB Rating:    67.6
Rushing Touchdowns:    3

I guess Luke Falk might have a second career as a "QB Guru" in his future too then....

He was a BYU guy too I believe.  Big in the WAC or whatever they played in then but never did it in the NFL for sure.

36 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

They are not tied to him, and they better exercise that decision if White keeps it up and the Jets keep winning. 

They are.

I mean this sincerely, if you're really of the mind-set that Mike White is the savior, and will become the Jets future I would recommend withholding your excitement.  It's certainly possibly, I sure hope he is..

But the likelihood of that is very minimal.  

Zach Wilson is still the short-term and long-term plan of the franchise.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Origen said:

He was a BYU guy too I believe.  Big in the WAC or whatever they played in then but never did it in the NFL for sure.

Beck never really had the natural talent.  It's pretty impressive he even made it to the NFL.  He did it all with smarts.  Those guys usually make the best coaches. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They are.

I mean this sincerely, if you're really of the mind-set that Mike White is the savior, and will become the Jets future I would recommend withholding your excitement.  It's certainly possibly, I sure hope he is..

But the likelihood of that is very minimal.  

Zach Wilson is still the short-term and long-term plan of the franchise.  

Where is anyone making any statements about White being a savior or the future of this franchise?

White has more good games in 1 career start in the NFL than Zach does in 6, with the same team and coaches (minus their best WR). That’s simply a statement of fact. No opinions there. 

With that context for you, I’ll state it again: the Jets better exercise their ability to move on from Zach if Mike keeps it up and the Jets keep winning.

11 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Where is anyone making any statements about White being a savior or the future of this franchise?

White has more good games in 1 career start in the NFL than Zach does in 6, with the same team and coaches (minus their best WR). That’s simply a statement of fact. No opinions there. 

With that context for you, I’ll state it again: the Jets better exercise their ability to move on from Zach if Mike keeps it up and the Jets keep winning.

And then what? Draft another QB in the first again next year?

Then give him 5 games - and get rid of him if he doesn't look good?

8 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

One could easily argue it is not the same team. The talk has been, time and time again that the team needed up to 8 weeks to understand the new scheme; of course it also depends on how the D plays and the offensive game plan. Maybe White runs the dump off offense better so that is why they changed it, or maybe LaPuke finally realized that when teams stack the box, it is best to throw all of the time until they pull back. It also may have to do with BB and the Pats secondary and pass rush weren't on the field yesterday.

Either way, it is important for Zack to win back the spot and not be handed it. The team needs to believe and they clearly like Mike, so Mike has to get the chance. Personally, I have to wonder if Mike can be that guy, but while he is playing well, he has earned the right to start.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

And then what? Draft another QB in the first again next year?

Then give him 5 games - and get rid of him if he doesn't look good?

I honestly don't understand what you're missing. I'll try two more times with different words, but then I'm out. 

If Mike White continues playing significantly better than Zach played in Zach's first 6 games and the Jets continue to win as a result, Mike should continue to be the Jets QB. 

Said differently:

Zach Wilson should not be handed back the starting job when he's healthy if Mike White continues to play significantly better than Zach played in Zach's first 6 games in the NFL.