A John Beck look alike was on the Jets sideline with a headset on.

Jetsbb

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Beck on the sideline. LaFleur in the booth. Everyone gets the coddling they need. Whatever works.

Back in my day, the last time I played football I had 7 broken ribs, a torn labia majora, and irritable bowel syndrome.

Kids these days are wimpy.

If it allows LaFleur to go up in the booth, I'm all for it. I'm all for anything that gets LaFleur farther away from our QBs, hell our whole offenses. I'd be in favor of moving him a little farther away still... like Hoboken

4 minutes ago, freestater said:

If it allows LaFleur to go up in the booth, I'm all for it. I'm all for anything that gets LaFleur farther away from our QBs, hell our whole offenses. I'd be in favor of moving him a little farther away still... like Hoboken

He doesn't get any credit for our offensive explosion two days ago? It's still his plays and his offense. 

2 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

I wonder if the Jets could sign Beck to a series of one year contacts. His contract expires Black Monday. He does his draft training thing including coaching Zach and Mike and then we hire him back for the season right before training camp starts. NFL might not love it but would seem to be a solid strategy. Maybe Beck is the reason White played so well.

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I wonder if the Jets could sign Beck to a series of one year contacts. His contract expires Black Monday. He does his training camp training thing including coaching Zach and Mike and then we hire him back for the season right before training camp starts. NFL might not love it but would seem to be a solid strategy. Maybe Beck is the reason White played so well.

If he were to just be signed to a short-term consulting contract, as opposed to a true staff hire, I highly doubt the NFL would really give a crap.

With that said, I'm not sure how much the Jets would love that as a long-term plan for future years, considering there'd be nothing stopping Beck from opting to go to another team or deciding not come back at all, while they also wouldn't have him available throughout the offseason/camp/preseason even if he did return.  In that case, they'd have to not count on him being there, and just bring him in as an extra hand down the line if it happens to work out.

On the flip side, if he impresses enough the next few months, it could also become a matter of the Jets (or even other teams) making him a more convincing offer.

2 hours ago, ryu79 said:

It's a really interesting move but I guess raises a host of other questions.

- Is he a Jet employee? 

- Is he exclusively working with Zach?

- Does he report into Lafleur? 

- Does it imply he can't work with other clients during season? Can he work with Zach in off-season?

Only two ways this can be happening IMO.  

1) He's on Zach's dime, and a guest of the the NYJ's.  Much in the way Brady's TB-12 trainer was

2)  Perhaps he is carried as, not a coach, but a consultant of the Jets.  Not sure how that would work under the CBA.

If he is a coach ,under the CBA, he can't work with Zach in the off season.  As an employee of Zach's he can.

Either way expect the Pats to file a CBA violation.

1 hour ago, freestater said:

An odd take after Sunday's explosion of offense and effective play-calling.  Even if "just busting balls".

Of course, now that a career bad QB now known as a "guru" was on the sidelines, we'll surely have a contingent who give all the credit to Beck so they can keep on hating LaFluer I guess.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:04 AM, Jetsbb said:

I noticed pregame a guy with a Jets hat on I never saw before that looked a lot like John Beck. I took this blurry snippet of him from gamepass when the camera panned to the sideline. I wouldn't put it pass the Jets to hire him and not announce it like they did with Cavenaugh. Twitter handle @Vernh727 (Sam)

Nice call there!

Jetsbb with the breaking news!

Cimini owes you dinner bruh

Beck, wearing a headset and Jets coaching garb, was spotted on the sideline during Sunday's 34-31 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals. Though his exact role is unclear -- the Jets haven't commented -- Beck will be on the sideline for every game.

• Upvote 1

This is a fantastic move. 

Losing Knapp was a tragedy, and we needed to help fill the void he left as a QB coach. Interesting to see a personal QB coach leave behind his business like this for just Wilson (he coaches Fields too). Maybe this is Beck's big swing as well because if he can help coach Wilson into something great, his reputation will skyrocket. However his really putting himself on the line. 

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

All in all, this can’t hurt.   I remember having a discussion with @Chrebetfan80    back in February about there being differences in how some coaches teach an offense to a QB.   Just like in college, you have good professors and bad professors, some teach you, some just throw info at you.  Some guys are great coordinators on game day, great with the X’s and O’s but can’t necessarily teach a young QB the system.  QB’s, just like students in a class, learn differently.  It’s about trying to find out how the QB learns best.  I think the Jets are definitely going through this with Zach and it’s why they resorted to bringing in Beck.   Hopefully Zach responds to him better.  

Excellent post

6 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

All in all, this can’t hurt.   I remember having a discussion with @Chrebetfan80    back in February about there being differences in how some coaches teach an offense to a QB.   Just like in college, you have good professors and bad professors, some teach you, some just throw info at you.  Some guys are great coordinators on game day, great with the X’s and O’s but can’t necessarily teach a young QB the system.  QB’s, just like students in a class, learn differently.  It’s about trying to find out how the QB learns best.  I think the Jets are definitely going through this with Zach and it’s why they resorted to bringing in Beck.   Hopefully Zach responds to him better.  

Bringing in beck is a great move.  AT the very least its someone he knows, and who knows him.  You cant say the jets arent trying to support zach.  Flacco, Johnson as vet QBs now.  Cavanaugh, Calabrese, and now Beck. He literally has all the support he could ask for (aside from a stellar offensive line and skill players which is all a work in progress) to reach his potential. 

Now I can understand where some may say "are there too many cooks in the kitchen?"  Thats on Saleh and the rest of the offensive staff to help come together and make sure that everyone understands their role on the team. 

Beck can really help with Zachs mechanics, and its great for calabrese to learn what Beck has been working with Zach on during their private sessions.  Others here mentioned too that Beck has a lot of experience in Shanahans system, which i think can also help to bounce ideas off of.  Beck can also give the staff insight on what he sees Zach really comfortable with, considering they have worked together for a while now.  

I just dont see a downside with the move unless the staff cant figure out how to manage all of the people in the room.