JETS Want a 3rd Rd Pick for Maye

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

I know, "professional athlete".  But once these guys check out mentally, it's better to just take what you can and move on.  IMO Maye has been broken by all the losing.  Not sure he ever comes back to a level that justifies the money he's looking for...

That's different if that is the case. I just think if you want to change a culture, you can't keep trading away players who can help you at the deadline for whatever you can get. Even if they are leaving at the end of the year, and you may only win 6 games or so, I think it's worth it. 

Don't break more players with all the losing if that is the case with Maye.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Take a 3rd if you can get it, otherwise keep him to help this team down the stretch.

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Do we have to trade away everyone who has any value for mid round picks again? Why not keep the players, and, ya know, try to win some football games? 

But how much help is he really giving us?  And is what he brings to the table worth a 4th round pick?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe D is in a good spot becasue he doesnt have to trade anyone.  Unless he gets blown away with an offer, I dont see him making a deal at the deadline.

If teams want our players, they are going to have to pay up.  And I just dont see any team giving a 3rd round pick for maye.

Just trade Flacco... for a bag of peanuts... just get him out

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But how much help is he really giving us?  And is what he brings to the table worth a 4th round pick?

Contrary to most people's opinion around here - He's still a very good player.

And contrary to yesterdays game - the Jets aren't a particularly talented team.  It's important to have good players, of which the Jets have few.

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Contrary to most people's opinion around here - He's still a very good player.

And contrary to yesterdays game - the Jets aren't a particularly talented team.  It's important to have good players, of which the Jets have few.

But, like, how is he contributing to wins, really?  Can you quantify/qualify it?  He's deflected 2 Passes, gotten 1 Sack, 0 INTs, 0 FFs, just 4 TFLs and 1 QB Hit so far this season.  And if he's been good in ways that haven't shown up on the stat sheet, he hasn't really shown it in this system yet.  And its a contract year for him, so he has extra motivation to look good out there.

Think of it this way:  If Marcus Maye were on another team, with his expiring contract, would you trade a 4th round pick by this Tuesday to acquire him?  If he's really such a good and impactful player it would be an easy "yes", but my guess is you really wouldn't advocate doing that.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

But, like, how is he contributing to wins, really?  Can you quantify/qualify it?

Think of it this way:  If Marcus Maye were on another team, with his expiring contract, would you trade a 4th round pick by this Tuesday to acquire him?

If I felt like we were contenders and missing a safety to help solidify my defense surely I would give up a 4th round pick for him.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

If I felt like we were contenders and missing a safety to help solidify my defense surely I would give up a 4th round pick for him.

But we likely aren't a contender and definitely aren't a Safety away even if we were.  And meanwhile, other secondary players on this team have outshined Maye so far, even in a year where we all expected the secondary to be a huge weakness.  So why not let some other team who thinks they're a Safety a way hand us a 4th?

3 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Yeah, so was JA. Not to say they'll get a haul anywhere near that level, but still.... JA was on his way out too. In fact he was shooting his way out. JD got a 4th for that bum at TE recently.

And JD used a 4th for a guy like RB Michael Carter.

I've always liked Maye but he doesn't have a future here.  If the Jets couldn't come to an agreement with him in the offseason they're certainly not coming to one with him after the season.  Get what you can for him.  The Jets seem to be finding value, particularly on D in this past Draft in those mid/late rounds.  I wouldn't mind taking a swing at either another Safety, a depth CB or an OG with a 4th if that's what they get for Maye.

• Upvote 2

If Joyner wasn't out for the year I'd say trade him, but we are really light at the position. Davis looks like a backup imo. I don't think we have any up and coming players ready to step in/train up.

Just let him play and see if he'll lower his asking price and return next year. 

4 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Maye is very good.  Not a difference maker but really good.  He did a lot of good stuff yesterday.  Wish he would stay for reasonable money.  His loss will be felt.

Sorry I disagree.  I don’t think he’s very good.  More like a decent player, and very replaceable.  It’s a no brainer if you can get a 3rd for him.  

3 hours ago, doitny said:

not a good idea..

How many times can a team franchise tag a player in the NFL?

Players can be tagged in consecutive years, but the team must pay the player more each year he is tagged. (Kirk Cousins can tell you all about it.) For a player to be franchise tagged two straight years, the team must pay 120 percent of the player's previous salary. If it's three straight years, the team would need to pay the player 144 percent of his previous salary.

From the CBA: Any club that designates a player as a franchise player for the third time shall, on the date the third such designation is made, be deemed to have tendered the player a one-year NFL player contract for the greater of ...

— (A) the average of the five largest prior year salaries for players at the position with the highest such average

— (B) 120 percent of the average of the five largest prior year salaries for players at the position at which the player participated in the most plays during the prior league year

— or (C) 144 percent of his prior year salary.

Tag would be about $12m in 2022, I don't want to go that route but honestly it's less than he's asking for anyway. Get what you can for him now and move on. 

Edit* also this info is out of date, they changed the rules of Franchise tagged players. It's the average of the top 5 at your position over the course of the last 5 or 10 years. That's the reason the tag was so cheap this year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sammybighead said:

Did you guys miss ashtyn Davis give up tons of yards yesterday? And you want to trade away maye, the only repectable safety we have left?

Maye doesn't want to be here, he made that known by telling his agent to tweet out he'll be healthy by the deadline. Ashtyn Davis is not the answer but neither is Maye.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think it depends. He hasn't had the greatest year but he's been a reliable player even though he is just a safety, and is easily replaceable.

I'm just personally tired of giving up players for mid round draft picks. It might be the right move. I'd rather see a player for player deal though even though they don't happen as much. 

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And clearly the Saleh/SF system can have success with minimal investment in the secondary.  Re-signing Maye is not an option.  Deal him now.  

Exactly. This is more than what Maye brings to the table. It’s about money as well. JD is not going to budge and pay a safety double digits. See Adams. See Adams go bye bye. See Maye. See Maye go bye bye.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Maye doesn't want to be here, he made that known by telling his agent to tweet out he'll be healthy by the deadline. Ashtyn Davis is not the answer but neither is Maye.

BOOM ? There are about 5 really good prospects in next years draft. Wouldn’t be shocked to see JD grab one in round 2 or 3 if he can move Maye or doesn’t tag him next year.