Derrick Henry may be out for the year, per Schefter

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Derrick Henry may have suffered a season-ending foot injury in Week 8 against the Colts. 

Schefter's report is shocking after Henry was able to finish Sunday's game against the Colts with a humble 68 yards on 28 attempts. He was seen on the sideline in the first half with his shoe off, receiving attention from the Titans' medical staff before re-entering the game and operating as the team's workhorse, as usual. If Henry is indeed done for the remainder of the 2021 season, it ends an historic run for a generational talent who was on pace to lead the NFL in rushing for three straight seasons -- a feat that hasn't been accomplished since Walter Payton did it in the early 1980s. Henry has been a regular Iron Man while enduring the weekly trashing of a workhorse back, missing just two regular season games over five and a half seasons. Henry's injury will require a remaking of the entire Tennessee offense and should mean more volume for A.J. Brown and possibly Julio Jones, if the veteran can ever get healthy. Henry has accounted for 36 percent of team's yards this season, the highest rate for any player on any team. Jeremy McNichols, who would likely serve as Tennessee's starter if Henry is out, will be the unquestioned No. 1 priority on the waiver wire this week. 

10 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Brutal. 

Will be interesting to see now how valuable he was. He’s one of the few runners who seems to really makes a difference but I always think any back can perform if the line is good.

He just punishes tacklers and forces you to put men in the box. He is the rare one these days that actually wears down a defense.  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

If Henry is indeed done for the remainder of the 2021 season, it ends an historic run for a generational talent who was on pace to lead the NFL in rushing for three straight seasons -- a feat that hasn't been accomplished since Walter Payton did it in the early 1980s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_rushing_champions

Emmitt Smith was the last to do it three years in a row from 1991-1993. Walter Payton only led the league in rushing one time, 1977.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_rushing_champions

Emmitt Smith was the last to do it three years in a row from 1991-1993. Walter Payton only led the league in rushing one time, 1977.

Erik Williams, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei, Kevin Gogan, etc were the last to do it.  :)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Erik Williams, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei, Kevin Gogan, etc were the last to do it.  :)

In my opinion, the most impressive is the Rams O-line that was responsible for the NFL's leading rusher from 1983, 1984, 1986, and 1987. Jackie Slater, Kent Hill, Doug Smith, and Dennis Harrah.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Brutal. 

Will be interesting to see now how valuable he was. He’s one of the few runners who seems to really makes a difference but I always think any back can perform if the line is good.

really be interesting to see what Tanney is without him. i cant imagine its too hard to be a good QB when your RB avgs over 120 yds per game.

he could turn into Sam Darnold without CMC.

I'll revisit this, FF pre season discussion of pick strategy and the fact that RBs are always rated highest.  I almost always take a QB instead. 

This injury should really hurt Tennessee.  I do not view them at all like Sf where you just plug in some no name and they  will be good.

For a while I was thinking Henry was a cyborg.  Sad to see that he's actually human.

Let this be a lesson to teams out there:  Stop overworking your RB's during the regular season, even if your offense is dependent on them.  The Titans got away with it for 2 years, true, but the bill always comes due for workhorse RB's.  Always.

This is where I agree with the philosophical approach of the Jets.  Use a bunch of interchangeable RBs that fit within a system.  The workhorse works great when it works, but he will get hurt.  

Derrick Henry is a good guy and great player, and we wish him the best.  

Is a great RB a good investment in the bottom of the first/second round?  Yes.  Maybe first round because you get the five years.  But like the Steelers, you don’t want Leveon after year 4.  The Steelers lucked out not owning that contract, and Leveon got lucky to have the Jets to pay him something for his retirement (that was not stolen by “his friends”).

Does not mean you don’t sign a Thomas Jones, who is an ox who cared for his body like a fine tuned machine?  No, you sign him-short term.  

• Upvote 1