Denzel Mims thread?

6 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Time to resurrect that dead horse!

Absolutely brutal drop from Mims yesterday on the throw from Josh Johnson.  No escaping it.  Could've been a huge redemption moment for him.

BUT...I still think his size, speed, and YAC ability is a plus, and he should absolutely be on the field in 4 WR sets.

Thoughts?

He should be on the field at least 60% Of the time. Just way too much talent to have him on the bench let him play and see what he can develop into. That drop was definitely brutal but  I have not given up on him 

• Upvote 3

He has some ability and is worth working in the rotation, but he doesn't deserve a starting spot.  He's inconsistent and on more than a few occasions shown a lack of effort on plays that aren't really designed for him.  The fact that he's a backup who can't contribute on special teams is also going to limit how much the team is willing to have others inactive in his favor.  He either needs to continue to improve his play at WR, or be able to get a rounder skill set to contribute elsewhere, in order to actually earn more opportunities.

None of this is any different than what he was from day one of course, but with the additions of Davis, Cole, and Moore, the team is now no longer forced to go with him because of having no other alternatives.  Combine that with him never really being as good last year as some around here wanted to pretend, mostly due to having been graded on a significant rookie curve (a.k.a. the Chris Herndon effect), and he'll continue to be no more than a rotational guy until he proves otherwise.

• Upvote 1

Young player made a bad mistake. He has a lot of upside and I would continue to develop him. His size speed ratio is worth the time to see if he can become a quality receiver. Fans have a tendency to want to give up on players too early.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

His performance was up and down.  Some good and some bad.  It is going to be tough to evaluate him because the minute davis returns, Mimsy will be relegated to the bench again.  

Next years training camp will be huge for mimsy.  He is needs to improve tremendously or he is going to peeter out here and not make much of an impact.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Looked like the ball got on him quicker than he expected. maybe not enough game action? Gotta have it though.

If that's the case Mims might be brain dead. Johnson was in the pocket forever and came to Mims late. Have to anticipate the football on 3rd down in the end zone. 

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

The drop was bad, cost us 4 points.  But he also made a nice play that would have been a big gain if not for a hold called on Moore.  Not to mention the effor the he showed blocking for Carter on his TD run.

He may not live up to his draft slot, but he should have a role on this team.

The other Angle shows a clear block in the back by mims. Lucky it wasn’t called 

• Upvote 2

i would like to see more because some of that might have been rust. he also missed another penalty, a block in the back i think that they missed .

but i will say this...

he looked like a guy that is ...well...the 5th WR on the team. 

Saleh was right. he wasnt ready. he didnt deserve to be out there before the other WRs.

and Saleh and JD were right on having White as the backup.

the 2 biggest things we have been killing them about all year, sitting Mims and White as a backup... they have been proven right.

im not saying Mims is a bust. i still think he has talent and might need some more time. but he blew a great chance to prove himself yesterday. and looked like WR5 instead of deserving to start.

so maybe we should trust that these guys know what there doing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

Absolutely brutal drop from Mims yesterday on the throw from Josh Johnson.  No escaping it.  Could've been a huge redemption moment for him.

BUT...I still think his size, speed, and YAC ability is a plus, and he should absolutely be on the field in 4 WR sets.

Thoughts?

I didn't know too much about Mims. I was hearing a lot on some of the threads that he catches everything (due to huge radius and great hands), and that we should really be playing him ahead of other receivers who had had drops (Davis seems to be dropping 1-2 a game, Moore dropped a couple, the whole WR / TE / RB group leads the league in drops). That being said, you can't drop a ball in the EZ... You just can't... Especially if you're fighting for a spot. You won't get many chances, you need to shine when you do...

I did see a couple nice blocks, could be helpful for some of those screens to MC. 

I think he should play, but 4th WR? I'd hate to see him inactive again.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Larz said:

The other Angle shows a clear block in the back by mims. Lucky it wasn’t called 

Yeah, just saw the other angle.  Could have called a block in the back, on the other hand, he also took out a LBer at the goal line you couldn't see from the first angle.

13 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I don't get the Mims slobber. 

Moore is the future.  He's the one with above average NFL ability, not Mims.  

Mims is just a complimentary piece like Mohammed Sanu.  

People fell in love with him during the draft process and can't let go....there was a reason he fell a full round and we have seen why the past year and a half.  We will be hearing about the Mims potential for the next two years then he will fade into obscurity. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I bucket him as a young guy with upside who hasn’t proving to be a quality starter. He at least looks like a guy who can be a good number 4 or 5 WR.

My current view of the young guys:

Proving to be quality starters: Hall, MC2, AVT, Becton (needs to stay healthy)

On the cusp of showing they can be relied open week and week out: Moore and MC (I won’t argue if someone thinks he’s already proving to be a RB1)

Flash upside but still not reliable: Wilson, Mims, Huff and Echols

We’ve seen nothing so far: Hamsah, Sherwood, Pinnock, Dunn, Davis. I know there’s still time for these guys. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

Thoughts?

He has hands like Lam Jones . PASS . 

8 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

He has hands like Lam Jones . PASS . 

Nah, Mims has good hands and can block and can high point.

He just doesn't have elite explosion or elite route running.  He plays slower than his 40 time.  But he's useful.

• Upvote 1