Denzel Mims thread?

3 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Denzel ran it down from even farther. Let him play. 

Great effort from both of them. Then the defense saved the score. They played really well yesterday and I credit Saleh for that type of effort. It would have been really easy for guys to pack it in at 1-5, especially if they've been a part of the last few seasons.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I'm not killing Mims on that drop either.  He'll learn to catch that with his hands with more experience.

I'm not killing him for the drop.  It happens, but I don't think he is going to suddenly learn to catch the ball with his hands.  He is in his 2nd year in the NFL.  He went to Baylor which spit out Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman, Kendall Wright and Terrance Williams among others.  He decent level college recruit.  He isn't likely to change those habits after all this time. 

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Did you see Chase drop a sure TD in the end zone?  I have seen plenty of "star" players drop gimmie passes in the end zone for whatever reason and more often than not, they go right back to them later in the gam and they redeem themselves.   I bet Mims catches that pass 9 out of 10 times; it was a bad drop, no question but what smart coaches do is look for that player again if a similar situation arises.  That is how you build confidence.   Mims is not some UDFA, he was one of the top receivers in one of the deepest WR classes in a decade.  You don't give up on talent like that because he dropped a pass in the end zone.   His two other receptions were fine and he looked very good.  It is too bad that after the drop they didn't go to him again.   Bottom line the team won, and he did contribute to the win.   I hope he gets more opportunities going forward.  An improving MIms only makes the team that much better.  I don't understand some folks calling him a bust... 

I think it comes down to credibility. If Chase has demonstrated that he makes that catch 9/10, he gets the benefit of the doubt. If a guy fighting for a starting time makes that drop, it'll resonate much more. Do you lose trust with the coaching staff? Will the QB want to go back to you again? We're seeing it with Zack and Davis, how Zack keeps throwing at Davis even if Davis keeps on dropping them... I believe Davis has more credibility than Mims. Does anyone trust Mims? 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Joejet said:

Young player made a bad mistake. He has a lot of upside and I would continue to develop him. His size speed ratio is worth the time to see if he can become a quality receiver. Fans have a tendency to want to give up on players too early.

This.

Some players take longer. Let's see what he can do over the last 9 games. 

• Upvote 1

If you think we are going to the playoffs, you're kidding yourself.  If not, they need to get a solid read on every player who has the talent to contribute down the line.  How many bad interceptions and wide open receiver missed by Wilson but they run him out there again and again.  Who said quarterbacks need time to develop but wide receivers are ready to go?

All I know is good things happen when they get the ball in his hands.  That's why you don't give up on him so fast.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, xJayce said:

I think it comes down to credibility. If Chase has demonstrated that he makes that catch 9/10, he gets the benefit of the doubt. If a guy fighting for a starting time makes that drop, it'll resonate much more. Do you lose trust with the coaching staff? Will the QB want to go back to you again? We're seeing it with Zack and Davis, how Zack keeps throwing at Davis even if Davis keeps on dropping them... I believe Davis has more credibility than Mims. Does anyone trust Mims? 

The only way to develop trust is to develop chemistry.  The dude has what, 5 or 6 catches FOR THE SEASON???  How many targets has he gotten ALL YEAR???  I mean when you look back on this, it is really ridiculous that we are having this conversation at this point in the season.  I could understand if he dropped several passes when targeted but he has caught 99% of the passes thrown his way.   I get it that Davis and lesser degree Cole has been ahead of him on the depth chart but that still doesn't justify they way he has been handled.  At this point, I am tired of rehashing the CS inexplicable non usage of Mims and instead will focus on the rest of the season and hope continues to get opportunities to contribute.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

The only way to develop trust is to develop chemistry.  The dude has what, 5 or 6 catches FOR THE SEASON???  How many targets has he gotten ALL YEAR???  I mean when you look back on this, it is really ridiculous that we are having this conversation at this point in the season.  I could understand if he dropped several passes when targeted but he has caught 99% of the passes thrown his way.   I get it that Davis and lesser degree Cole has been ahead of him on the depth chart but that still doesn't justify they way he has been handled.  At this point, I am tired of rehashing the CS inexplicable non usage of Mims and instead will focus on the rest of the season and hope continues to get opportunities to contribute.  

He got the most snaps of any WR yesterday, so his failure to draw more targets is on him.  The Jets aren't going to start telling their QBs to force throws to Mims because of an unjustified obsession some fans have with the guy.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

He got the most snaps of any WR yesterday, so his failure to draw more targets is on him.  The Jets aren't going to start telling their QBs to force throws to Mims because of an unjustified obsession some fans have with the guy.

How on earth is it on him??  I saw several plays where he was open but the quarterback when to different player.  Not saying it was the wrong call but if you get open what else are you supposed to do?  Throw yourself the ball???   There is no obsession.  How is that you root against your on high draft pick at WR??   He is only in his second season; why the hate? 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

How on earth is it on him??  I saw several plays where he was open but the quarterback when to different player.  Not saying it was the wrong call but if you get open what else are you supposed to do?  Throw yourself the ball???   There is no obsession.  How is that you root against your on high draft pick at WR??   He is only in his second season; why the hate? 

I don't hate him, I think he's decent depth that they have every reason to keep around for the foreseeable future.  I also realize the primary reason he got so many chances last year was because Crowder was pretty much the only player on the roster capable of catching a football.  With the additions of Davis, Moore, and Cole, he was the one who justifiably fell down the depth chart.  Hs play last season was greatly overrated because of being graded on a significant rookie curve.  It's a bit of a disappointment for a second rounder, but it's still only year two, and on him to figure it out and get better, without there being any expectation to plan the rest of the team around his current mediocrity.

Of course not one single WR in the league is going to get thrown to every single play in which they get open.  Yet when Crowder, Moore, and Cole all managed to draw more targets and catches on fewer snaps played, and tied the immortal likes of Berrios and Kroft in # of catches, that doesn't translate to Mims being an innocent victim in any of this.

3 hours ago, Flashlite80 said:

If you think we are going to the playoffs, you're kidding yourself.  If not, they need to get a solid read on every player who has the talent to contribute down the line.  How many bad interceptions and wide open receiver missed by Wilson but they run him out there again and again.  Who said quarterbacks need time to develop but wide receivers are ready to go?

All I know is good things happen when they get the ball in his hands.  That's why you don't give up on him so fast.

Many said that in 2002 when we started the year 2-5.  Oh, we won the division and a playoff game that year.

Mims’ drop looks even worse when you compare it against the other-worldly catches made by Cole and Berrios on that one drive.

I like Mims and I really see potential. Would be great if he can take another step and fulfill that potential. But right now he does not deserve to be on the field more than Davis, Cole, Moore, Berrios and maybe even Jeff Smith. There is clearly a snap count battle going on between Mims and Jeff Smith.

Saleh has been 100% correct about Mims position on the depth chart so far. The real question is whether Douglas incorrectly assessed Mims when deciding to use a second round pick on him. Is he another Devin Smith or Stephen Hill, a second round wide receiver who won’t be here long?

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Many said that in 2002 when we started the year 2-5.  Oh, we won the division and a playoff game that year.

I highly doubt there were that many people saying that then.  The team had just made it to the playoffs the year before, the offense was loaded (Curtis, Coles, Moss, Chrebet, Richie Anderson, very good OL, etc).  And the team had used a 1st round pick on Pennington 1.5 years prior, so of course many people likely believed his moment had come at that time before he even stepped on the field. 

Quite a different scenario with the 2021 Jets.

13 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Not to mention that he is averaging 20 yards a catch? :) I think the chemistry part takes time to develop (though I would have expected that given MW wasn't starting, he would have practiced more with other players who weren't starters?).

So, why isn't he being targeted more often when he's in games? Honest question here. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I highly doubt there were that many people saying that then.  The team had just made it to the playoffs the year before, the offense was loaded (Curtis, Coles, Moss, Chrebet, Richie Anderson, very good OL, etc).  And the team had used a 1st round pick on Pennington 1.5 years prior, so of course many people likely believed his moment had come at that time before he even stepped on the field. 

Definitely a different scenario - BUT the NY and national sports media definitely bailed on that 2002 team early. I wasn't online back then, but I remember people giving the Jets no chance in Chad's first start (which he won 44-13). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xJayce said:

Not to mention that he is averaging 20 yards a catch? :) I think the chemistry part takes time to develop (though I would have expected that given MW wasn't starting, he would have practiced more with other players who weren't starters?).

So, why isn't he being targeted more often when he's in games? Honest question here. 

its up to the QB where he throws. and White was a short passer.

the top receiving guys were Carter, Crowder and Moore. all short route WRs. even though Moore got wide open on that deep pass.

the outside guys Cole who had 5 targets and Mims who had 3 didnt get the opportunities cause of the game White was playing. the outside guys are usually the deeper route runners.

Davis was Zachs favorite target cause he like to go deeper then White did. its probably safe to say as long as White is out there the outside guys Davis, Cole and Mims wont see many targets. 

we should see Carter, TY, Crowder and Moore get the bulk of the targets.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They absolutely were saying the Jets were out of it back then.  That is what prompted this response from HC Herm Edwards.  The Jets were 2-5 and a reporter asked (I'm paraphrasing) what motivation did the team still have without playing for the postseason.

• Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

They absolutely were saying the Jets were out of it back then.  That is what prompted this response from HC Herm Edwards.  The Jets were 2-5 and a reporter asked (I'm paraphrasing) what motivation did the team still have without playing for the postseason.

The media doesn't speak for the fans.  I'm sure plenty of fans were counting us out at that point but there wasn't really a great reason to. 

It's unlikely to get to the postseason from 2-5 of course but when you're not even at the halfway point of the season with a very good roster, it just makes no sense to think its all over just yet.

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2021 at 11:45 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Looked like the ball got on him quicker than he expected. maybe not enough game action? Gotta have it though.

He was probably in shock the ball was thrown to him in the end zone considering they view him as a leper. At this point in his career and our current rebuilding mode, he NEEDS to be on the field to see what he can develop into. Is that so much to ask? If he busts then move on but at least we would give him a chance to prove himself. Enforce your will JD.

• Upvote 3