One Thing We Now Know For Sure

What an epic game.  All of sudden we're less sure of many things...but theres one thing we do know.   Saleh and LaFluer might actually be okay.  Joe Douglass....might be good. One thing we know for sure though - Z. Wilson currently sucks.  No excuses. He sucks.   Maybe one day he'll be good. Maybe he'll figure it out. But right now...he sucks.    White needs to be named the 2021 starter from here on out. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 10
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, TerrapinJet said:

What an epic game.  All of sudden we're less sure of many things...but theres one thing we do know.   Saleh and LaFluer might actually be okay.  Joe Douglass....might be good. One thing we know for sure though - Z. Wilson currently sucks.  No excuses. He sucks.   Maybe one day he'll be good. Maybe he'll figure it out. But right now...he sucks.    White needs to be named the 2021 starter from here on out. 

disagree on wilson.  yesterday's game was just all of the pieces playing together as a team.  every aspect did pretty well.  during the post game a player (i forget who it is) was paling about how they made some errors that needed to be cleaned up.  i think that's a pretty good attitude.  they need to keep the mo jo going.

as for wilson, give him time to learn how to play.  white has at least been on 3 teams in some capacity and has studied how to play that much more than wilson.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Wilson can learn that it's okay to play check-down football, and let his teammates make plays. 

But eventually, we're going to want that playmaker in him to come out and make that 40 yard bomb to Moore that White missed yesterday. Obvious arm talent is obvious.  Now we just need the calm moxie that comes from watching the speed of the game (NFL) from the sidelines for as long as possible. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

Not really. But I'm not going to elaborate. 

Nobody is asking you too.

We all generally expect you to over-index on goofy points you fail to make over and over.

That said, it’s a fairly simple statement. I didn’t need yesterday’s game to know that Zach has played bad football so far.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TerrapinJet said:

As you said. The quandry they have to understand is Wilson was and is not the only area needed for evaluation. We need to know that the GM, HC, OC, all the other players are good or are not good. The QB can make all those other areas not look good and make it impossible to evaluate them. So, If White shows they are all good moving forward he has to stay in there so they can all continue to grow and progress. The only way White should come out is if they start seeing major limitation somewhere in his game that get exposed as opponents get more film on him and game plan for him which the Bengals could not adequately do with pretty much no game film. As one poster said, if they start taking away all underneath areas can he still drive the field. He is playing the West Coast offense the way it was defined by the founders. Quick shorter throws to players that create YAC. Plain and simple. It is hindered only when you do not have players with the athletic ability to gain yards after the catch, which doesn't appear to be our problem. Albeit, this was one game, but against what was a top 5-10 D before yesterday's contest. Zack may not now or ever be the better fit for this type of offense than White is and will be. You have to connect on almost all of the shorter throws. Zack misses many of them. He cleans that up and maybe then he is fine. But, as always there is too much on the line to wait around for that. We are a team that can wait one more day even for a cultural change. It just affects too much. Player, fans, coaches, etc. just cannot keep taking it and it causes FAs and even draft picks to not want to play for the Jets. Why does everybody think Saleh said we'll see if White is the long term QB. No matter what the decision is on that you can see already that he is saying if this guy makes all of our jobs easier we would rather stick with him and stop this down in the dumps situation just to train a QB that may not now or ever be able to get the job done like we saw yesterday. 

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Nobody is asking you too.

We all generally expect you to over-index on goofy points you fail to make over and over.

That said, it’s a fairly simple statement. I didn’t need yesterday’s game to know that Zach has played bad football so far.

Oh I'm sorry, Mr. Vidal, didn't know you were objective back in April before he took a snap. Also quite a pivot from he sucks to he sucks so far.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TerrapinJet said:

Everything but the Zach thing is meh. I prefer to say Zach is just not ready to run this offense yet and hope this will help him get there. Kid was never a day 1 starter on a team this new. Like never. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Imagine Jets QB Mike White being named an AFC Offensive Player of the Week in the same season another Jets QB was named an AFC Offensive Rookie of the Week.

#JetsQBfactory

#QBsurplus

#QuarterbackingWhereFootballisGoing

what is happening how i met your mother GIF

Like many of my favorite 80s songs, this too may end up being one hit wonders

Just now, Maynard13 said:

Yea its pretty obvious young LaFleur robbed his brother's playbook this past week. Pretty obvious.

LOL

Could be.  I just rewatched the game on NFL Gamepass.  This was a completly different O then all the other games.

Not one bunch formation that 3 WR's ended up within 2 yards of one another.

Maybe after watchin NE it dawned on him he's  allowed to call more then one pass play. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Oh I'm sorry, Mr. Vidal, didn't know you were objective back in April before he took a snap. Also quite a pivot from he sucks to he sucks so far.

The first post included the qualifier: “sucks right now”.

How is it a pivot to reference what I agreed with?

Is it fair to say about White that he Mac Jones'ed this game?  Which is to say, he made lots of good decisions leading to easy throws.

I don't think it's a big leap to think that Wilson can get there.  Not to say that he *will* - but it's our best chance to have a franchise that actually matters...

I also think it's indisputable that MLF called a different game.  It seems a lot easier to dump it off when it's 1st and 10 - when Wilson has almost never been asked to throw - vs 3rd and 8...

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Zach Wilson is a rookie who has only played 5.25 games, right? 

I'm just checking. 

I think what everybody else is arguing is that Mike White has only played 1.75 games and has looked way better. However, it could be argued that Mike has been in the NFL for 54 games compared to zach's 6 games.

12 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Is it fair to say about White that he Mac Jones'ed this game?  Which is to say, he made lots of good decisions leading to easy throws.

I don't think it's a big leap to think that Wilson can get there.  Not to say that he *will* - but it's our best chance to have a franchise that actually matters...

I also think it's indisputable that MLF called a different game.  It seems a lot easier to dump it off when it's 1st and 10 - when Wilson has almost never been asked to throw - vs 3rd and 8...

Wilson will get there.

Better chance of getting there if he sits year 1, or at least the rest of it. I think we’ve seen e ought to conclude that he’s not getting anything out of starting as a rookie other than a healthy dose of failure.

There isn’t one way to from a QB. It’s all relative. What we’ve been doing isn’t working for Zach. Try a different tact.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TerrapinJet said:

What a terrible take. We know Saleh and LaFluer are much better than Gase. And are good coaches by their resume. We know Joe D is good as a GM, we have seen him "cook" for awhile now building and improving this team. 

Really ? Your take away is the kid making awesome throws sucks? You sure its not he is a rookie making rookie mistakes?....cayuse it certainly looks that way from the film. That is the excuse he is a rookie and trying to ball it 30 yards every play into coverage instead of just checking it down. Seems like a pretty valid excuse to me.

So we need to name the starter after just one game? hmm...so like maybe after the Tennessee game naming Zach as the starter for the year would have or wound not have been good? It is so silly to over react to one game. THe take away here was the system produced effectively when the QB made good decisions and used the check down. And when they went underneath big passes were open. QB is not a rook and played better than the rook. That is to be expected. 

I think the smarter play would be maybe let White play and he is hot let him stay hot.  Zach can come bakc when he is healthy. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Hex said:

I think what everybody else is arguing is that Mike White has only played 1.75 games and has looked way better. However, it could be argued that Mike has been in the NFL for 54 games compared to zach's 6 games.

Mike White is a 4th year player. He's had 3 extra off-seasons and training camps to get better. 

It's like comparing apples to tigers. 

• Upvote 1