Jets Add John Beck To The Coaching Staff

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does @Jetsbb get credit for breaking this story?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

Former NFL quarterback John Beck was spotted on the Jets sideline in team garb by people watching Sunday’s Jets 34-31 win over the Bengals and he’s set to be there in the weeks to come as well.

Beck worked with Jets first-round pick Zach Wilsonas a personal quarterback coach for several years and helped prepare him to work with teams ahead of this year’s draft. That makes it obvious why he would be of interest to the Jets and multiple reports say he’ll be working with Wilson and the rest of the team for the rest of the season.

This is Beck’s first time on an NFL staff, but he did play for Washington when Kyle Shanahan was the offensive coordinator in Washington. Jets offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur worked under Shanahan in Atlanta and San Francisco, so there may be some familiarity with the offensive concepts.

Even without any carryover, the move seems clearly designed to make Wilson more comfortable after a rough start to his rookie season. A knee injury means he’ll remain an observer as Mike White tries to followup his outstanding debut performance with another winning outing against the Colts on Thursday night.

So it was him... Good hire

29 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

This is not aimed directly at you. It just frustrates me to hear that a rookie QB needs to have a competition in camp with a veteran, or "earn" the right to play. QBs that are picked Top 5 in the draft have "earned" the right to start by their exceptional performance in college

To each his own but I don’t necessarily agree with this.....

Your play in college means absolutely nothing in the pros after you’re drafted. If you’re good enough you should be able to beat out the QBs behind you to earn the right to start. If not, sit and learn until you are ready to beat them out. The QB that gives the team the best chance to win should start, not the highest drafted one 

• Upvote 3
18 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Nobody hates Zach. Everyone wanted to see the Zach of the pre season and we still might but up to this point he has not played well and its obvious that this entire team has suffered for it. The kid needs time maybe looking from the perspective of Mike White as the starting QB will help him understand how this offense works. 

Keep in mind this is not a Brett Favre type offense its more along the lines of a Joe Montana /Tom Brady type offense. Play high percentage football get the ball to your play makers quick and let them make plays. This will open things up for the big play as the game goes on. Zach didn't seem to be doing that and it hurt him and he has to learn that's the way this offense is designed and you cant play outside that design

There is a big difference between your comment and the comments I believe @johnnysd referred to. Everyone knows that ZW is struggling and needs to improve. Your comment offered some insight into what ZW needs to do to improve. 

There are a lot of comments whose sole contribution is repeatedly stating that ZW sucks. Those comments are tedious and adds no value to JN. Several of the obvious haters have fortunately been sent to the Gallows. 

• Upvote 4
58 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

This is not aimed directly at you. It just frustrates me to hear that a rookie QB needs to have a competition in camp with a veteran, or "earn" the right to play. QBs that are picked Top 5 in the draft have "earned" the right to start by their exceptional performance in college

I see your point of view, but there’s plenty of evidence that top 5 picks aren’t ready to start right away

Jamarcus Russell

Ryan Leaf

Akili Smith

Tim Couch

Hearh Shuler

Matt Leinart

Joey Harrington

Sam Darnold

And that’s just off the top of my head.

• Thumb Down 1
53 minutes ago, All Gas, No Gase said:

There is a big difference between your comment and the comments I believe @johnnysd referred to. Everyone knows that ZW is struggling and needs to improve. Your comment offered some insight into what ZW needs to do to improve. 

There are a lot of comments whose sole contribution is repeatedly stating that ZW sucks. Those comments are tedious and adds no value to JN. Several of the obvious haters have fortunately been sent to the Gallows. 

This is exactly right. The incessant Zach sucks posts just drive me up the wall

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Haha exactly…I’m actually not even against the Beck hire.

The tragedy of Coach Knapp revealed that his role was clearly even more involved than we imagined.

The loss of Knapp was immense.  Obviously we'll never know how huge, but a coach that has worked, trained, and harped mechanics of some of the leagues historically best QBs ever, had extensive experience in this offensive system, and a wealth of knowledge overall about QB development, it was just a massive loss. 

Cavanaugh helps as he's a really good QB coach, but he's not as perfect a fit as Knapp was. Great job bringing him on when they did, and I think we'll see his coaching ability grow as he settles into the staff, but Beck hiring is going to hopefully speed things up for Zach.  

A few thoughts I have on all of this:

1. Cavanaugh coming in basically at the start of the season was a tough job for him.  He had to come in, assimilate to what the jets were already doing, learn the playbook, learn zach and his tendancies, learn what Mike needed for help offensively.  Its a really tough job to just jump into and make an impact.  I think as the season goes on we'll see his experience and influence come into play.  It takes a while to fill your role. 

2. Beck hiring fills in the gaps between what Calabrese and Cavanaugh know about the Shanahan system and what Knapp knew.  Beck has a good deal of experience in this system and a great deal of experience with Zach.  That should help get everything on that side of the ball gelling. 

3. I dont think any of this is necessary if we hadnt tragically lost Knapp. 

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

There was never any indication that the Jets were moving on from the guy they took 2nd overall....only by fans who love to jump to conclusions after one game lol 

Doesn’t apply to me then.  I jumped at halftime 

• Haha 1
41 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

I see your point of view, but there’s plenty of evidence that top 5 picks aren’t ready to start right away

Jamarcus Russell

Ryan Leaf

Akili Smith

Tim Couch

Hearh Shuler

Matt Leinart

Joey Harrington

Sam Darnold

And that’s just off the top of my head.

Sure and some have flourished right away.  And same thing for sitting some have developed others havent.  It just seems the narrative has become that sitting and watching for Zach would have been some magic pill ands he would be better. No one knows that. 

I mean let's say Zach sits. Well, he watches another QB play, then during the week they analyze the tape and say what was good and what was bad. Can Zach learn from that? Sure. 

But in reality he can do that exact thing even when starting. Zach will learn just as much watching All-22 of Jimmy G and Aaron R and they run the same system as us.

But if he plays his own play is getting critiqued.  He knows what he was thinking, what he saw what his decision was, his mechanics off that play, etc... That is real learning. Does anyone think Mike White's thought process and the way he sees the game is remotely similar to Zach's?

I mean essentially people are saying he will develop better by actually removing the experience of playing football.

I mean people learn football by instruction (coaching) review (tape) practice (repetition) and experience (playing)

So people are saying that by removing experience and obviously reducing practice that Zach will become better. Don't see it.

Any QB is going to (hopefully, cough cough Sam) by repetition of the entire process, so everyone on this team will be a little better in the system and language. To be honest we saw some of that Sunday as our OL and RB groups seemed to be "getting it"

Would Zach be a better QB at the start of next season if he sat this year. 100% absolutely. But will he be better than the Zach that played 12 games and has live NFL experience? I would think not.

The danger of course in starting Zach is him getting beat to death, injured and becoming gun shy. That is a valid concern and we saw that with Carr, Sam Darnold if we are being honest.and several others. It is an incredibly complex topic.

20 years ago I was extremely good at pool. I got better by playing a tour professional every day for months for money. And yes I practiced but against a tour pro if I missed I lost, so I learned situational pool by tons of repetition. I watch pool and snooker all the time and every once in a while I see something I could add to my game, but nothing like playing. I play piano too and watching a concert pianist teaches me nothing about piano, Disclosure: I took 19 years off of playing pool, but play in league now and though I am highly rated I basically suck. So even to stay good you need to play.

Jets add Wilson's personal QB coach Beck to staff

Tue Nov 2 4:11pm ET
By DENNIS WASZAK Jr.
AP Pro Football Writer

Related photo caption below

New York Jets quarterback Zach Wilson (2) throws prior to an NFL football between the New England Patriots and New York Jets, Sunday, Oct. 24, 2021, in Foxborough, Mass. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) Zach Wilson will have a familiar face by his side for the rest of the season.

The New York Jets have hired John Beck, the rookie's personal quarterback coach, as a full-time assistant.

Beck began working with the team last week and was on the sideline wearing team gear and a headset during the Jets' 34-31 victory over Cincinnati on Sunday, led by Mike White's stunning performance.

Wilson, who is sidelined with a sprained knee ligament, has worked with Beck for a few years. The two even met up in Utah during the Jets' bye-week break two weeks ago.

''He went to see John and I was like, `Why not just bring him here?''' coach Robert Saleh said Tuesday. ''So we just started talking about it and one thing leads to another. Now there's just a really good plan in terms of how to get him through the rest of the year and keep himself connected and keep everything tight.''

The 40-year-old Beck had never previously been an NFL coach, but has become one of the game's leading personal quarterback gurus while working with several pro passers at his 3DQB facility in Huntington Beach, California.

The hope is Beck will able to assist offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur, quarterbacks coach Rob Calabrese and senior offensive assistant Matt Cavanaugh in helping Wilson, the No. 2 overall pick, develop. Beck has familiarity with the Shanahan-style offense LaFleur is running since he played under Mike Shanahan in Washington.

''We thought it would be really good to just have John in our building, learn the verbiage that we're teaching along with the things that are being asked of all our quarterbacks,'' Saleh said. ''So when he is having those conversations, those on-the-side conversations, everybody's speaking the same language. And he can tie in what he does as a quarterback guy to the students.''

Wilson, who could return as soon as next week, has struggled in his brief NFL career. He threw four touchdown passes and nine interceptions during his six starts, sometimes flashing the playmaking ability that made him a star at BYU but also having issues with his mechanics, footwork and making the so-called ''easy'' short throws.

Beck was a second-round draft pick of Miami in 2007 out of BYU. He played in nine career games with the Dolphins and Washington, throwing three touchdown passes and seven interceptions. Beck also spent time with Baltimore and Houston, as well as the BC Lions of the Canadian Football League.

I don't get the hate/drama. We lost a coach this offseason and the offense was struggling - LaPuke is up in the box now, and Beck, who already has a relationship with Zack is going to help out on the field. A lot of teams have QB coaches and consultants. Of course the great Gase didn't need one (more of a reason to like the move). There is no cap for coaches; if adding Beck makes the team or Zack better - smart move.

Would people prefer that they didn't try something else? Leave LaPuke on the sideline. Should the coaches have said, 'Yep we lost a coach this offseason - bad luck all the way around' and just pouted?

• Upvote 2

I'm going to get flamed for this but they had no choice Zach is bad and The coaching staff knows it we just found out during press conference that Zach needed Lefluer to be with him on the sidelines instead of being in the booth that is reason Beck was hired so Lefluer can go to the booth and do his job. For many who don't know who Beck is.

Beck was his personal coach in college he struggled so much in his first couple of years in college. He hire John Beck to tutor him so he could keep his starting job at BYU. They had to do it they drafted him and they got to try to make him starting QB or they will be drafting another. This is a smart move but it's alarming because they now realize how raw this kid is and they are now worried this could blow up in their face. I don't hate the kid hope he succeeds because I'm sick of losing but I didn't want to draft him I did alot of research on him having a tutor for QBing was red flag #1.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, nyjets1969 said:

I'm going to get flamed for this but they had no choice Zach is bad and The coaching staff knows it we just found out during press conference that Zach needed Lefluer to be with him on the sidelines instead of being in the booth that is reason Beck was hired so Lefluer can go to the booth and do his job. For many who don't know who Beck is.

Beck was his personal coach in college he struggled so much in his first couple of years in college. He hire John Beck to tutor him so he could keep his starting job at BYU. They had to do it they drafted him and they got to try to make him starting QB or they will be drafting another. This is a smart move but it's alarming because they now realize how raw this kid is and they are now worried this could blow up in their face. I don't hate the kid hope he succeeds because I'm sick of losing but I didn't want to draft him I did alot of research on him having a tutor for QBing was red flag #1.

I hear that, but isn’t it a good thing that he got tutored and than it helped him improve? Wouldn’t this mean that he is coachable and the mistakes are correctable?

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Wit said:

I hear that, but isn’t it a good thing that he got tutored and than it helped him improve? Wouldn’t this mean that he is coachable and the mistakes are correctable?

Hey - There is no place for logic and reason on this site. Watch it ....

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, hmhertz said:

I was the first one who suggested this, Slats replied he wouldn't  do it. He may be good

at moderating and all forms of sex but he don't know jack sh!t about being a GM!

I brought this idea up weeks ago in a thread elevating the Jets coach who was tragically killed to legendary status, and the reason why Zach is struggling.

I was told it would never happen because Beck had such a lucrative QB camp. My reply was simple… who was he coaching during football season.

This move could be looked at as a good one, or a desperate attempt by the Jets to try anything to get the kid turned around. It’s definitely worth a shot though, whatever they were doing wasn’t working.

• Upvote 1