Henry Ruggs involved in serious car crash

12 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So sad.  I’m not embarrassed or ashamed of much in my life, but getting a DUI when I was 20 is one of the things I am incredibly ashamed of.

I’m thankful I didn’t hurt anyone, but every time I see a story like this it sends a jolt of anxiety through my system.  I can’t imagine how the family of the deceased feels.  I can’t imagine how Riggs or his family feels.  These situations are just awful.

I hope he feels awful. I've got no sympathy for him.

• Upvote 1

Tragic for the passengers.  Not feeling so much sympathy for Ruggs right now.  But as for the football take on this...

Mayock just had to have Ruggs over Jeudy and Lamb.  It looked bad at the time.  It looked worse after their rookie season.  And now...

As bad as things look here at times, there's almost always something worse out there. 

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Tragic for the passengers.  Not feeling so much sympathy for Ruggs right now.  But as for the football take on this...

Mayock just had to have Ruggs over Jeudy and Lamb.  It looked bad at the time.  It looked worse after their rookie season.  And now...

As bad as things look here at times, there's almost always something worse out there. 

Ruggs was turning in to a superstar this year.   There is no excuse for his actions here, and he’s going to have to live with his actions.  My condolences to the family who lost a love one to someone’s stupidity. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Sad story, when will these guys learn to just call a cab?   Senseless death.  Aside from going to jail, I’m sure there will be a civil suit and whatever money Ruggs has made thus far will be gone, plus I’m sure the family will go after the TopGolf facility where Ruggs was drinking.  

Cab? These guys are millionaires they could have a limo if they want.....ridiculous 

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Riggs is not only not playing anymore, he will be going to jail most likely. 

Meh, dudes got money and it sounds like they're charging him with the DUI after the fact,...not a lawyer but seems like he's probably going to contest this, no? Leonard Little and Dante Stallworth did the same thing, continued playing Football.  The NFL is disgusting.  Not condoning this, it's terrible, just not putting it past the NFL.

RIP this is sad and tragic my heart goes out to this victims family 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Cab? These guys are millionaires they could have a limo if they want.....ridiculous 

As I posted above, every team provides cars whenever players are in need due to alcohol or other substances.  They just need to ask.  Most never tale advantage of the perk as they feel they're indestructible or plain dumb.

Horrible news.....

Ruggs is a Bama alum, as most know, and as such I have followed him closely since high school.  He is one of 4 Tide WR teammates to go on to be 1st round draft picks (Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddell, and Jerry Juedy being the others).  

Been a fan of his for years, but if he got drunk and killed someone, he deserves to be punished to the fullest extent of the law

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Edit just to clarify that the victim was actually driving the other vehicle, not a passenger.  Not sure of any other details, but it makes it even worse.  I speak from unfortunate personal experience having lost someone to a drunk driver.  If for no other reason, self-driving cars or at least cars with override safety features might help reduce this type of tragedy.  It just sucks.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I hope he feels awful. I've got no sympathy for him.

That’s completely fair.  I don’t feel sympathy for him either.  He made a horrible mistake that changed the course of countless peoples lives.  I’m not trying to argue that anyone should feel sorry for him.  It’s just a sad situation on many levels.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Sadly it seems that according to reports there was a fatality. Also read that Ruggs appears to have a broken hip as a result from the accident t. 

terrible  prayers for all involved  

Jail time for him... Felony in the state of NV... Big **** up... And he must have been seriously flying to kill someone from a rear impact. 

Career in football should be over if they do the right thing

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Meh, dudes got money and it sounds like they're charging him with the DUI after the fact,...not a lawyer but seems like he's probably going to contest this, no? Leonard Little and Dante Stallworth did the same thing, continued playing Football.  The NFL is disgusting.  Not condoning this, it's terrible, just not putting it past the NFL.

RIP this is sad and tragic my heart goes out to this victims family 

Looked up Nevada law it’s 2 year minimum 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Fatality invoved - serious injuries.  Just awful.

Damn thats bad. How he survive that. Just awful.  Will change your life forever.  Prayers out to all involved.  I myself, was in a horrific crash in 1975, just 17 at the time. On my way to a disco with HS friends, everyone sober as the day is long, (6 in the car) after the HS prom coming off the Major Deegan at Brook Ave and was in a Delta 88, which is as big as a Caddy, pedal got stuck, jumped into front seat to try and pry it loose, car accelerated 30 40 50 60 70 85 MPH in just a few seconds. Driver was a terrible driver but somehow made an incredible turn to avoid a highway pillar going into a dead end, car went out of control, hit an elevated sidewalk, looked up and saw a brick wall and ducked down, car flew through the air and smashed into a brick wall 20 feet above the street ground. Front of car hit the wall straight on or we would have all been history.   Some serious injuries but we all miracously survived. Just to get an idea, the ENTIRE front of the car was smashed like an accordian up to the windshield.  Life's a trip. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Looked up Nevada law it’s 2 year minimum 

Right, I know nothing about Nevada law or law for that matter, just hear about people getting off for this with the right amount of money for lawyers and remember Little/Stallworth getting off.  Hope that's not the case and he's locked up like you said, no excuse for getting behind the wheel drunk.  

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

I'll put my lawyer hat on for this one.

Not sure of the Little situation, but if I recall the Stallworth situation correctly, the person he killed was hit when he ran across the middle of a multiple lane highway trying to catch a bus.

As a lawyer, the argument would be whether or not Stallworth's intoxication actually caused the accident.  In other words, even if Stallworth was completely sober, would he have had a chance to avoid the accident?  If the answer to that question is no...then he could be found not guilty.

If I recall correctly, Stallworth's lawyers pushed for a trial but the prosecutors ultimately decided to let him plea to a lesser felony because they knew going to trial was a risk for the prosecution.

Here....its appears that Ruggs slammed into the rear of a stopped car.  Absent some really unusual circumstances that have not been divulged, this is a completely different situation and Ruggs should be punished to the fullest extent Nevada law allows.

Oh, that's right.  Forgot that was a pedestrian with Stallworth...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Not jumping to conclusions... and to be clear this is speculation... but are those bullet holes in the hood of the car? And what would crime scene techs be marking on the ground like that at a normal car accident? 

With a fatality and a suspected crime they have to document the scene. Better to have it marked and photographed and not need it than need it and not have it. One thing they will likely need to do is bring in a crash reconstruction expert to determine how the wreck occurred to show this wasn't an act of negligence. Those experts need to see where debris landed to reconstruct their velocity and direction to opine on speed, direction, location at impact, etc..

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well the issue is that once you become impaired you do not have the judgement to feel you  need a ride share or uber or such.

The place you have to stop such problems is before you go out if you know you are drinking you do not take a car.  Also friends and acquaintances have to have the gumption to stop a guy from driving.

Right. Exactly. But these are young kids in their 20's. Men think they're immortal until they hit their early 30's. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I'm sorry but I feel terrible for the kid as well. Just one mistake, lapse in judgement and his life is basically over. 

Nope. He was spared somehow. He will hopefully use this as a way to find some purpose in his life as tragic as this all is.  God works in mysterious ways.

• Upvote 1

FYI, the charge in Nevada is "DUI Causing Injury or Death."  A Class B felony (one step down from the big ones), carries potential prison sentence of two to 20 years.

Mr. Ruggs is innocent until proven guilty, but the reports don't bode well for him.

RIP to the other driver.

• Upvote 2