Henry Ruggs involved in serious car crash

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  Huge difference.  When young and stupid I once got pulled and blew a 0.03.  I was driving carefully and it was not over the legal limit, and the officer didn't ticket me for anything I was doing.  But I still felt lousy about it and vowed never to do that again.  And I didn't.

Culture on this has changed drastically over the past 30 years. I remember in the late 70s, my dad (a Police Officer!) would grab a beer for a drive to the beach or whatever and it was completely legal and fine. Can you remember those days? If you're younger, could you imagine?

Back in the 1980s,  having "a few beers" and driving wasn't even blinked at It was just....normal. 

When the Police Unions embraced MADD and DARE programs in the 90s, things changed. Limited went from .1 to .08 in most places. And awareness increased.

For the past 20 years, EVERYONE knows how irresponsible and downright stupid this behavior is.  Penalties are sky high, and there has never been more options for getting around safely...but millionaires have always had those options. The NFL has a program that is free and anonymous. They have the rookie symposium

Every team has in house HR and support personnel to teach these kids about these situations.  

Anyway, yeah. You and Nuu are right, but the world has changed, and someone died a horrible death because an irresponsible fool chose to get behind the wheel hammered....when he had many options instead of getting behind the wheel of a car highly overpowered and probably beyond his skill set for operating properly. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

This human piece of garbage...born that way or raised that way?

It can only be one or the other. There is no choice C.

Yes, there can be a choice C.  About 60 % of who we are as people is determined by DNA.  Not 100 %.  So there's nuance to everything.

DNA played the biggest role in making Ruggs an alcoholic.  But it didn't make him drive drunk. 

And it also didn't make him drive incredibly recklessly while drunk, either.  There are plenty of alcoholics out there who drive drunk, and when they do so, they get over the far right lane on the highway and drive at about the speed limit.  It's still a terrible thing to do, and they get away with it a lot.  But it's better than driving well over the speed limit, at least.

There is still room for choices to be made while you're drunk and while you're an alcoholic.  Ruggs made some of the worst of them.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, there can be a choice C.  About 60 % of who we are as people is determined by DNA.  Not 100 %.  So there's nuance to everything.

DNA played the biggest role in making Ruggs an alcoholic.  But it didn't make him drive drunk.  

Its either nature or nurture. Everything else is magical thinking. 

• WTF? 1

Just now, Dcat said:

I hope they require every NFL player to watch the video of the car engulfed in flames followed by a photo from the coroner's report of the victim's remains.  (images of clockwork orange)

Maybe a few more of these kids (men?) will get it.

I thought only the individual teams provided transportation on request for players.  Just learned a few minutes ago that the NFLPA does, too.

5 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Its either nature or nurture. Everything else is magic.

It's both.  Nature has more of an impact than nurture.  But the latter still matters a great deal.

Making life out to be a matter of a simply dichotomy is something humans like to do.  We like things simple.  Hence why so many of us like sports.  There's a winner and a loser.  Simple.  But life is rarely simple.  Hence why we spend hours talking about WHY a team won and lost on this board.  There's a lot that goes into it.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I hope they require every NFL player to watch the video of the car engulfed in flames followed by a photo of the incinerated victim from the coroner's report of the victim's remains.  (images of clockwork orange forced watching)

Maybe a few more of these kids (men?) will get it.

It only works if accompanied by Bethovan's 9th blasting at very high decibels.  

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's both.  Nature has more of an impact than nurture.  But the latter still matters a great deal.

Making life out to be a matter of a simply dichotomy is something humans like to do.  We like things simple.  Hence why so many of us like sports.  There's a winner and a loser.  Simple.  But life is rarely simple.  Hence why we spend hours talking about WHY a team won and lost on this board.  There's a lot that goes into it.

Well both nature and nurture are complex enough on their own.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Culture on this has changed drastically over the past 30 years. I remember in the late 70s, my dad (a Police Officer!) would grab a beer for a drive to the beach or whatever and it was completely legal and fine. Can you remember those days? If you're younger, could you imagine?

Back in the 1980s,  having "a few beers" and driving wasn't even blinked at It was just....normal. 

I was at a rural hillbilly bar back in the day and at last-call the bartender lined up open bottles of Budweiser on the bar for the customers to drink on their way home.  Everyone grabbed one on their way out.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

My guess would be a breach of the fuel line or gas tank, and the spilled fuel caught fire.

I researched it last night and there was a knowledgeable post from @Jet_Engine1here. 

Modern cars are less likely to catch on fire, but in a high speed crash, what you said is likely.  

16 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I was at a rural hillbilly bar back in the day and at last-call the bartender lined up open bottles of Budweiser on the bar for the customers to drink on their way home.  Everyone grabbed one on their way out.

This just reminded me that the DJ at the bar I worked at during the summers down the Jersey Shore was told by management to play American Pie as the last call song because it was so long.  I hate that song now because of hearing it so much. 

1 minute ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Was just coming to share this. 

“reckless”, “young and dumb”, “mistake”

you can throw all of that out the window now even if you believed it before. 

disgusting.

Agreed.  "Criminally negligent" or "Vehicular homicide" would seem more appropriate.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

$150,000 bail...little bastard gets to go home by noon pacific time.  Good thing they took his passport.

Welcome to the world of the ultra-rich.

He'll likely never serve a day in Prison, and all he'll be out is money and reputation.

He'll probably be catching passes again by opening day next year.

In before "but he changed his life and learned, who are you not to forgive him" that usually follows things like this from the same folks whose first thoughts were of the killer, not his victim(s).

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

When the Police Unions embraced MADD and DARE programs in the 90s, things changed. Limited went from .1 to .08 in most places. And awareness increased.

For the past 20 years, EVERYONE knows how irresponsible and downright stupid this behavior is.  Penalties are sky high, and there has never been more options for getting around safely...but millionaires have always had those options. The NFL has a program that is free and anonymous. They have the rookie symposium

Every team has in house HR and support personnel to teach these kids about these situations.  

Anyway, yeah. You and Nuu are right, but the world has changed, and someone died a horrible death because an irresponsible fool chose to get behind the wheel hammered....when he had many options instead of getting behind the wheel of a car highly overpowered and probably beyond his skill set for operating properly. 

You really don't need a comparatively powerful car to harm yourself or others on the street.  A driver can cause injury/death with a low horsepower economy car.   A driver can also safely operate a vehicle with 1,000 horsepower even if he/she is not a professional driver.  Also consider that very powerful street cars are not outfitted with racing safety equipment.  No full roll cage, no fire bottles, no five point harness, no FIA fixed back seat and so on.  Nor are the cars that they might be running into if they are messing around on the street at high speed. 

The key is to keep aware and not operate the car you are in foolishly.  Any car.  Smart For Two or Hellcat. 

• Upvote 2