JD Felt the Heat

kevinc855

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

What a very unlike JD trade deadline for JD. Trader Joe was gun shy, only making a small move at RG. 

Keeps Maye, Mimms, Crowder and Cole. 

My take, 1-5, wasn't sitting well, the media exploded. Then, we beat the Bengals. This team wants to keep winning. 

JD knew keeping guys like Crowder or Maye help them win THIS YEAR over a 4th or 5th next year. Quite the adjustment in strategy. 

Wonder if Saleh lobbied him. Very unlike JD last 24. 

Felt what heat? The heat of JN forum posts? 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

I don't think he felt the heat at all... I think this is his vision. He tore the team apart over the last 2 years and started putting together his base in his first 2 drafts. He's got his pieces in place and I think the next 2 offseasons, and next on in particular, are going to be about adding to the team. 

The time for selling is over - we almost don't have anything to sell anymore. I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a move like the Bills made in trading for Diggs

Agreed, adding a stud receiver in this off-season would be the perfect move. Someone like Davante Adams, Odell or Allen Robinson to go along with Corey Davis, Moore and Mims would make for a dangerous receiving corps. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

Felt what heat? The heat of JN forum posts? 

the media was giving them a pass this year until the NE game. then a bunch of bad media happened fast. and its never good for a bunch of reporters to wait for your boss to get out of a meeting with his peers to ask him about the job your doing.

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

What a very unlike JD trade deadline for JD. Trader Joe was gun shy, only making a small move at RG. 

My take, 1-5, wasn't sitting well, the media exploded. Then, we beat the Bengals. This team wants to keep winning. 

JD knew keeping guys like Crowder or Maye help them win THIS YEAR over a 4th or 5th next year. Quite the adjustment in strategy. 

Very telling that Joe did not make a splash at the deadline. Look at all the other clubs that made big moves. 

Yep, I would definitely read something into this.

• Haha 1

If Joe Douglas was still in team dismantling mode, players like Crowder and Maye would have been traded for draft picks before the season began.  That phase of the rebuild is over.  It's time to start keeping and acquiring additional talent so the young players on this roster can be developed properly.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think culture is more important than a 4th or 5th round pick when we already have 9 draft picks.

Plus we have the off chance at getting some comp picks depending on how JD approaches his FA signings. Players who are cut don't factor against us in the formula. We will have about $44m to spend in FA (per OTC)

Yep, except that’s only an on-paper number. I’ve got some doubts any - let alone all - the following players will be brought back at their upcoming cap numbers (and how much they save if cut):

1. GVR $3.5MM (all of it)
  2. Ryan Griffin $3.3MM ($3.1MM)
  3. Shaq Lawson $9MM (all of it)
  4. Chuma Edoga $1.2MM ($1MM), and several others at similar money, like Perine

Plus while it’s too early to tell if they’re going to re-up any of their own upcoming FAs, it’s also too early to tell on:

1. Fant $10.7MM ($9.7MM)
  2. McGovern $10.3MM ($9MM)
  3. Rankins $6.25MM ($5.5MM)
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yep, except that’s only an on-paper number. I’ve got some doubts any - let alone all - the following players will be brought back at their upcoming cap numbers (and how much they save if cut):

Plus while it’s too early to tell if they’re going to re-up any of their own upcoming FAs, it’s also too early to tell on:

1. Fant $10.7MM ($9.7MM)

@Maxman

Please, please, please, have a constant Spermy cap analysis thread. Primarily, his ideas and notable moves that fit his criteria of smart team building.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1. Fant $10.7MM ($9.7MM)

Fant, McGovern and Rankins are under contract in 2022.  Expensive contracts but contracts.  As is Mosley.  The Jets should just go with them.  If they draft a Center McGovern moves to G/IOL backup.  

18 minutes ago, varjet said:

Fant, McGovern and Rankins are under contract in 2022.  Expensive contracts but contracts.  As is Mosley.  The Jets should just go with them.  If they draft a Center McGovern moves to G/IOL backup.  

All three of those players, and GVR, have no dead money to worry about.  I think McGovern is as good as gone, but I would be signing Fant to an extension.  Possibly Rankins too, but as Sperm said, little early yet.

49 minutes ago, varjet said:

They’re not FAs but none of them are guaranteed. That much non-guaranteed salary puts them at risk when they’re not considered elite players. 

McGovern:

• There’s no chance McGovern becomes a backup at that money, particularly with none of it guaranteed. If he gets beat out by a rookie center then he’s either getting cut, traded, or gets the squeeze put on him after everyone else has their OL in place in the weeks/months after the draft (like they did with Crowder).
  • My guess is he sticks at center next year. I’m sure they want as little turnover as possible on the OL, unless it’s really necessary (e.g. van Roten), and he’s having the season we expected when they signed him last year, so I don’t see them targeting a center in round 1 next year anyway. More likely they take a G/C prospect and put him at RG as a rookie, to then maybe slide over to center in 2023 after McGovern’s 3rd and final contract year is up. The Jets then would/could gain a comp pick in ‘24 for letting McGovern go as a ‘23 UFA. 

Rankins:

• He doesn’t make that much, and it’s doubtful they’ll desperately need his $5.5MM of new money, but he could become a casualty over the summer.
  • He was a worthwhile gamble as a veteran with a bunch of upside: still just 27, was a 1st round pick, and had an 8-sack season a few years ago.
  • He had an active day vs the Bengals, but on balance I’m not tremendously impressed by him thus far. A lot of what they do with him will also depend on his second half of the season but there are too many snaps where he’s less than useless (like his entire game 2 weeks ago). 

Fant: 

• …see above; I already wrote plenty ffs ;)

It’s likely all three are still on the roster at least until the draft. They don’t have as much room as they did last year, but they still have enough, and can clear their way up to $60MM without touching any of these three. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They’re not FAs but none of them are guaranteed. That much non-guaranteed salary puts them at risk when they’re not considered elite players. 

McGovern:

• There’s no chance McGovern becomes a backup at that money, particularly with none of it guaranteed. If he gets beat out by a rookie center then he’s either getting cut, traded, or gets the squeeze put on him after everyone else has their OL in place in the weeks/months after the draft (like they did with Crowder).
  • My guess is he sticks at center next year. I’m sure they want as little turnover as possible on the OL, unless it’s really necessary (e.g. van Roten), and he’s having the season we expected when they signed him last year, so I don’t see them targeting a center in round 1 next year anyway. More likely they take a G/C prospect and put him at RG as a rookie, to then maybe slide over to center in 2023 after McGovern’s 3rd and final contract year is up. The Jets then would/could gain a comp pick in ‘24 for letting McGovern go as a ‘23 UFA. 

Rankins:

• He doesn’t make that much, and it’s doubtful they’ll desperately need his $5.5MM of new money, but he could become a casualty over the summer.
  • He was a worthwhile gamble as a veteran with a bunch of upside: still just 27, was a 1st round pick, and had an 8-sack season a few years ago.
  • He had an active day vs the Bengals, but on balance I’m not tremendously impressed by him thus far. A lot of what they do with him will also depend on his second half of the season but there are too many snaps where he’s less than useless (like his entire game 2 weeks ago). 

Fant: 

It’s likely all three are still on the roster at least until the draft. They don’t have as much room as they did last year, but they still have enough, and can clear their way up to $60MM without touching any of these three. 

I've created a monster.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

McGovern:

Rankins:

Fant: 

Agree, economics are neutral. All about performance for these three. Long way to go  Personally,  I like Rankins.

13 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Outside of the Denver-Rams trade, there were no major trades among the 32 teams.  Just little ones like ours.  I wonder if the other 29 teams fans react like we do?

11 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Enough... Jesus between you and munch bag why does everything have to be so annoyingly negative... Your misery is well known and you hate JD and think everything he does is garbage... We get it... We don't need 15 threads about it and you and munchie derailing all the other threads to bash him... 

Is he perfect... No... Is he doing better then the last 2... Yes... Is he getting better... It seems like it... Maybe he just isn't going to make desperate trades just because... Maybe he has values and sticks to them... Wtf

The Jets just beat the team with the best record in the AFC  and still all you do is bitch... Wtf. 

I never understood post like this, every fan won’t be a fan of how things are handled and that’s okay, Part of being a fan is giving opinion on how management is doing, if you don’t like someone’s post why not just keep scrolling???

2 dudes literally blocked me yesterday for me having a difference in opinion, I can understand having emotion for the team but to be this way to another fan because he’s criticizing someone from the team or staff is comical. 

He thinks JD is terrible you think the opposite, it’s really no big deal beyond that tbh 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I never understood post like this, every fan won’t be a fan of how things are handled and that’s okay, Part of being a fan is giving opinion on how management is doing, if you don’t like someone’s post why not just keep scrolling???

2 dudes literally blocked me yesterday for me having a difference in opinion, I can understand having emotion for the team but to be this way to another fan because he’s criticizing someone from the team or staff is comical. 

He thinks JD is terrible you think the opposite, it’s really no big deal beyond that tbh 

Thank you for this one, Sir Oat.   It's like you can't criticize anyone, especially folks like Zack or JD.  It's like some are so heavily invested in their success that they go to war to prove they're right.  Some of us, right or wrong, are just giving our opinions on what we see.

A new one is that no other NFL teams pulled off a major deal at the deadline so JD did the best he could signing the Chiefs' guard.  But what about all the time trades and other signings were possible dating back to the end of last season, through training camp, the start of the season, etc?  So, JD should be excused for not finding additional pieces we need?   WTF has he been doing, orchestrating the brilliant Herndon move?   Why was Herndon brought back this year in the first place?   Yeah, no one wants to talk about that, I guess.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Enough... Jesus between you and munch bag why does everything have to be so annoyingly negative... Your misery is well known and you hate JD and think everything he does is garbage... We get it... We don't need 15 threads about it and you and munchie derailing all the other threads to bash him... 

Is he perfect... No... Is he doing better then the last 2... Yes... Is he getting better... It seems like it... Maybe he just isn't going to make desperate trades just because... Maybe he has values and sticks to them... Wtf

The Jets just beat the team with the best record in the AFC  and still all you do is bitch... Wtf. 

Trigger Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Just saw this.  So, Mr. Candyass I'm Gonna Neg Rep Everyone in Every Thread is calling us "annoyingly negative".  LOL.  You can't make this sh*t up.  Yeah, 'cause Max started JN for limited discourse and/or likemindedness.  That would have gone over big.  What a clueless dope.

Dude, go back to perusing Walmart's fruit department.   I'm sure you can spot a ripe mango or two. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Anyone that blocks you over a difference of opinion is in most cases a mental midget. Lol