JD Felt the Heat

kevinc855

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Look at the players that weren’t moved - OBJ, Engram, Maye. There were virtually no trades. It was clearly a buyer’s market. I doubt Maye or Crowder are Jets next season. They were kept because nobody offered fair value. 

They were kept because the Jets just kicked the Bengals arse with Mike White. Gotta fill MetLife when the Jets face the Bills. 

• WTF? 1

13 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

the entire org has talked about building a culture by learning to win. Not trading everyone away is sorta part of that. 

Besides comp picks will probably be better than the chump change offers we might have revived.

I’m normally the acquire as many picks as you can guy, but I do think that you can’t keep trading away solid players just for the sake of trading them.  Unless you are getting exceptional value, these players are worth more to the development of the rest of the roster.  

I’m not worried about draft position this year, it’s not really a great top of the draft anyway.  I’d much rather see this team start to learn how to win games.   Like you said, you have to start changing the culture and you have to start developing a winning roster.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

14 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I don't think he felt the heat at all... I think this is his vision. He tore the team apart over the last 2 years and started putting together his base in his first 2 drafts. He's got his pieces in place and I think the next 2 offseasons, and next on in particular, are going to be about adding to the team. 

The time for selling is over - we almost don't have anything to sell anymore. I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a move like the Bills made in trading for Diggs

right.  plus maye and crowder may well be on the team next season.  not so much crowder because he plays where moore should be but just how will maye get replaced?  bring in another gilchrist?  i read somewhere that ashtyn davis had a pretty crappy game so at least one safety spot isn't set just yet.  imo it would be foolish to move on from maye.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

.  But what about all the time trades and other signings were possible dating back to the end of last season, through training camp, the start of the season, etc?  So, JD should be excused for not finding additional pieces we need?   WTF has he been doing, orchestrating the brilliant Herndon move?   Why was Herndon brought back this year in the first place?   Yeah, no one wants to talk about that, I guess.

well lets talk.

why do we all assume there were deals to make. maybe there were no deals to make.

or the deals JD didnt like.

take Ertz for example. they wanted a 5th rd pick and a CB they picked in the 6th rd last year. so who would that be on us? Echols? i wouldn't trade him for a 10 game rental.

i was watching JDs press conference yesterday and he said that no trades were made cause he has a value set on these players and the trades didn't match that.

but we already knew thats how he operates.

sorry pal but trades dont happen cause you want them to. we don't know why he didn't make moves. but considering he has robbed just about every trade partner he had im going to trust he did what's best for us.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, doitny said:

well lets talk.

why do we all assume there were deals to make. maybe there were no deals to make.

or the deals JD didnt like.

take Ertz for example. they wanted a 5th rd pick and a CB they picked in the 6th rd last year. so who would that be on us? Echols? i wouldn't trade him for a 10 game rental.

i was watching JDs press conference yesterday and he said that no trades were made cause he has a value set on these players and the trades didn't match that.

but we already knew thats how he operates.

sorry pal but trades dont happen cause you want them to. we don't know why he didn't make moves. but considering he has robbed just about every trade partner he had im going to trust he did what's best for us.

I can agree that no trades were possible or attractive to JD.   Do I think that's likely or idiotic for a team that was 2-14 and had major holes all over the place?  Yup.   That from the end of last season through yesterday's deadline this inaction was a good thing?  Nope.   Has JD put himself into a no-win world where he has attributed so much inflated value/return on our players that any major trade is impossible.  I think so.

And to say that JD has "robbed" teams is just JD fanboy speak.  I would argue that in his tenure, JD has put awful Jet teams on the field, robbing us of enjoyment/sanity most game days.

• Thumb Down 1

27 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I can agree that no trades were possible or attractive to JD.   Do I think that's likely or idiotic for a team that was 2-14 and had major holes all over the place?  Yup.   That from the end of last season through yesterday's deadline this inaction was a good thing?  Nope.   Has JD put himself into a no-win world where he has attributed so much inflated value/return on our players that any major trade is impossible.  I think so.

And to say that JD has "robbed" teams is just JD fanboy speak.  I would argue that in his tenure, JD has put awful Jet teams on the field, robbing us of enjoyment/sanity most game days.

But you should have known that was the plan. Take the team down to the studs and replace it with new materials and a foundation. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

You can't make trades for the sake of making trades. Nor, should you accept what you consider sub-standard value.

Without knowing what others were offering, it is impossible to say what could or should have been done. We just don't know. 

Based on what happened across the league as a whole, there was not many good fit trades out there.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You can't make trades for the sake of making trades. Nor, should you accept what you consider sub-standard value.

Without knowing what others were offering, it is impossible to say what could or should have been done. We just don't know. 

Based on what happened across the league as a whole, there was not many good fit trades out there.

Scott, I get everything you re saying.  Totally correct that we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

But on a team like ours, it's impossible for me to believe JD could not have done better.  Look at what we went into the season with just at TE and backup QB.  Sure, now maybe we've seen that White can play.  But there isn't a shot in hell that JD and coaches knew this before Sunday.  And certainly at the start of the season.  Meanwhile, Minshew, Trubisky, Hoyer were attainable.

And although many here derided the prospect of adding Zach Ertz, that did not stop a great team like Arizona from making a deal.  Scored in his first game and is now in the rotation.  Tell me Zack Wilson could not use his talent and presence.

• Thumb Down 1

48 minutes ago, Wit said:

But you should have known that was the plan. Take the team down to the studs and replace it with new materials and a foundation. 

Not to be factious, but you're saying it was JD's plan to field awful teams and lose?   If that was truly the plan, then I 100% don't agree that is the way to do it.

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Outside of the Denver-Rams trade, there were no major trades among the 32 teams.  Just little ones like ours.  I wonder if the other 29 teams fans react like we do?

The NFL has never been MLB I'm not sure why people always think there's gonna be 20 trades.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

What a very unlike JD trade deadline for JD. Trader Joe was gun shy, only making a small move at RG. 

Keeps Maye, Mimms, Crowder and Cole. 

My take, 1-5, wasn't sitting well, the media exploded. Then, we beat the Bengals. This team wants to keep winning. 

JD knew keeping guys like Crowder or Maye help them win THIS YEAR over a 4th or 5th next year. Quite the adjustment in strategy. 

Wonder if Saleh lobbied him. Very unlike JD last 24. 

Maye was probably the only possibility and if Joe has proven anything its his staff keeps things in house for the most part so most of the names mentioned here are fantasies made up by fans who think they know WTF they are talking about when they actually don't. Its the reason why people are still asking questions about said players yet get no real answers from the team or JD he's simply not going to ever tip his hand when it comes to roster moves and its probably why he wins on all of his trades and shocks just about everyone when he runs off with a boat load of picks no one ever thought he could get. 

Looking at all of this now and not 3 weeks before JD made the right call holding on to all these players especially with the possible emergence of Mike White. It would have been stupid to pull the rug out from under him before you even knew what you had by trading Crowder and Mimms and not sure on Davis' availibility for Thursday night. 

JD is handling things like we as Jets fans have never seen before and speculation at this stage is worthless from what we have seen the past few years. The only real obvious move was Adams and that Idiot gave us all the ammo we needed by bashing the organization and to him I say Thanks 

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

JD fan boy..lol

so getting 2 first rd picks for Jamal is fan boy?

Trading Sam for a 2nd rd and a 4th is fan boy?

Robbie wasnt worth what JD wanted to give him. he had one good year and is now in the Witness Protection Program. sounds like a good deal for us.

Leo worth 63 mil? Adams 72 mil? and even if Ashton Davis is a bust, CB Carter for LEO and saving 63 mil was a great move. and even if Leo gets double digit sacks again hes not taking over game. hes not adding wins to his team. hes just a big cap hit. DTs are a dime a dozen, dont need to pay them a kings ransom for 10 sacks a year.

im looking at yesterday deals and i dont see anything that was worth it. do you have any trades in mind that JD missed ? or did you just want JD to tell a team he wants there player and will give them anything they want?

awful team? i will admit we had some awful games but this is not a bad team.

we could have beat Atlanta. we were there till the end. we make that stop and we have the ball down by 3 with 3 mins left. and we could have beat Carolina too.

3 awful games....4 far from awful games. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, doitny said:

JD fan boy..lol

so getting 2 first rd picks for Jamal is fan boy?

Trading Sam for a 2nd rd and a 4th is fan boy?

Robbie wasnt worth what JD wanted to give him. he had one good year and is now in the Witness Protection Program. sounds like a good deal for us.

Leo worth 63 mil? Adams 72 mil? and even if Ashton Davis is a bust, CB Carter for LEO and saving 63 mil was a great move. and even if Leo gets double digit sacks again hes not taking over game. hes not adding wins to his team. hes just a big cap hit. DTs are a dime a dozen, dont need to pay them a kings ransom for 10 sacks a year.

im looking at yesterday deals and i dont see anything that was worth it. do you have any trades in mind that JD missed ? or did you just want JD to tell a team he wants there player and will give them anything they want?

awful team? i will admit we had some awful games but this is not a bad team.

we could have beat Atlanta. we were there till the end. we make that stop and we have the ball down by 3 with 3 mins left. and we could have beat Carolina too.

3 awful games....4 far from awful games. 

Good post.  I was not saying you are a fanboy, just using a term they would.  And not claiming that all JD's deals are bad.  I just object to the term robbed.  IMO, that's a too-fawning overstatement.

I am going to disagree and say that over his 2+ year tenure JD has put awful teams on the field, including this season.  Granted, he inherited Mcc's mess.  But he shares in the responsibility.  Maybe I'm more pessimistic.  Chalk that up to watching this team for 56 years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Scott, I get everything you re saying.  Totally correct that we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

But on a team like ours, it's impossible for me to believe JD could not have done better.  Look at what we went into the season with just at TE and backup QB.  Sure, now maybe we've seen that White can play.  But there isn't a shot in hell that JD and coaches knew this before Sunday.  And certainly at the start of the season.  Meanwhile, Minshew, Trubisky, Hoyer were attainable.

And although many here derided the prospect of adding Zach Ertz, that did not stop a great team like Arizona from making a deal.  Scored in his first game and is now in the rotation.  Tell me Zack Wilson could not use his talent and presence.

Seattle probably thought they were doing better when they traded two firsts and a third for Jamal. 

From reports, it appears that JD was active looking for trades. We just don’t know what the asking price for the trades being discussed. Why fill one hole in the team while creating another one? A receiver is the only player I feel we could trade without creating a hole. We are too thin at safety to trade Maye. The other option would be giving up draft capital when we aren’t going to make the playoffs this year anyway.

So far, JD appears to excel in making trade deals and until he proves otherwise, I’m going to trust he is making the best trade decisions for the team. 

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

What a very unlike JD trade deadline for JD. Trader Joe was gun shy, only making a small move at RG. 

My take, 1-5, wasn't sitting well, the media exploded. Then, we beat the Bengals. This team wants to keep winning. 

JD knew keeping guys like Crowder or Maye help them win THIS YEAR over a 4th or 5th next year. Quite the adjustment in strategy. 

I think this is a very astute observation on your part.  Congratulations on hitting the nail on the head, IMHO.

What is interesting to me, is if particularly Maye and Crowder become part of the solution rather than part of the problem over the last 10 games, if the Jets doesn't try to sign either one or both of these players going forward.  Probably not, but I still wonder.

8 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m normally the acquire as many picks as you can guy, but I do think that you can’t keep trading away solid players just for the sake of trading them.  Unless you are getting exceptional value, these players are worth more to the development of the rest of the roster.  

I’m not worried about draft position this year, it’s not really a great top of the draft anyway.  I’d much rather see this team start to learn how to win games.   Like you said, you have to start changing the culture and you have to start developing a winning roster.  

I’m only concerned with draft position if they already want to hit in Zach. Won’t happen. Totally fine picking later.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, oatmeal said:

I never understood post like this, every fan won’t be a fan of how things are handled and that’s okay, Part of being a fan is giving opinion on how management is doing, if you don’t like someone’s post why not just keep scrolling???

2 dudes literally blocked me yesterday for me having a difference in opinion, I can understand having emotion for the team but to be this way to another fan because he’s criticizing someone from the team or staff is comical. 

He thinks JD is terrible you think the opposite, it’s really no big deal beyond that tbh 

Having an opinion is one thing but derailing every thread into talking about their hatred of the GM is another... Express your opinion as much as you want but when you turn a thread about Mims and another about Flacco and another about white into hatred of the GM it gets boring and redundant... But thanks for butting in. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Just saw this.  So, Mr. Candyass I'm Gonna Neg Rep Everyone in Every Thread is calling us "annoyingly negative".  LOL.  You can't make this sh*t up.  Yeah, 'cause Max started JN for limited discourse and/or likemindedness.  That would have gone over big.  What a clueless dope.

Dude, go back to perusing Walmart's fruit department.   I'm sure you can spot a ripe mango or two. 

Please put me on ignore and don't act like a child... You can get your point across without name calling. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Please put me on ignore and don't act like a child... You can get your point across without name calling. 

Again, Mr. Non-Stop Neg Rep is calling someone a child?   Nine more from you since I was last on the site a few hours ago.  

At first I thought you were creating some sort of bit or mind f*ck.   I found it funny and amusing.  Now?   I realize that you're just a mean-spirited person on some sort of delusional quest.  Maybe adding that thumbs down gives you a bizarre, anonymous, thrill.   God knows.

Anyway, tell ya what.  Please put me on ignore.   It'll make you happier.

• Thumb Down 1

On 11/2/2021 at 11:14 PM, kevinc855 said:

Keeps the receivers to help the young QB and keeps the vet safety to help bring along a secondary that's loaded with year 1 and year 2 players.  Those things are more important than a 5th round draft pick.

Smart (non) moves.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Anyone that blocks you over a difference of opinion is in most cases a mental midget. Lol

I didn’t even know you could block people on here lol. If people talking about differing opinions on the Jets trigger you that bad you have issues 

On 11/2/2021 at 4:14 PM, kevinc855 said:

This read weird to me. I mean did JD adjust his strategy? It doesn't appear so to me at all. We didn't have any Trade gems to really offer other teams or any one that we needed to get rid of. So I didnt really understand your first point, there has always been value are the trade that he goes after, seems as tho he accomplished that at a position of need guard. 

There was no urgency or indication we wanted to trade Maye, Mims, Crowder or Cole. Now sure why we would trade cole or crowder we just brought them back and Maye and mims seems to be doing what is asked of them,.

I agree 1-5 is not sitting well but I also dont think Joe or the team was panicking considering the circumstances and roster. I think the team has wanted to win every game.

Again this make believe adjustment. When did we ever want to trade those guys? and what exactly do you think we woudl have got for them. again this is a pretty big assumption, more likely that Joe stayed the course inspite of some fans over reacting to the season. 

You say this is very unlike JD but it seems to be the same calm weathered approach, add pieces to help the team not over react and build a roster the correct way. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

7 hours ago, munchmemory said:

so you're of the opinion that we went into the season with White and that the team went against conventional wisdom of having a veteran in the room, because they did not know white could play or didn't think he could?

That doesn't make sense. It seem that Joe and the staff precisely did know Mike white could play int he system or at least thought he could if anything happened to Zach. because they made him the back up qb.

Your logic is like well sure you have a spare tire in your car but you didn't know if could actually be a spare tire that you could use if one of your tires went flat. Um …. No...actually i have the spare tire for the exact situation that I need it. Its called having a spare tire. 

Joe and crew thought White would be fine as a back up and he was.

Zach Ertz would was a good signing by AZ for sure I agree wiht that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Again, Mr. Non-Stop Neg Rep is calling someone a child?   Nine more from you since I was last on the site a few hours ago.  

At first I thought you were creating some sort of bit or mind f*ck.   I found it funny and amusing.  Now?   I realize that you're just a mean-spirited person on some sort of delusional quest.  Maybe adding that thumbs down gives you a bizarre, anonymous, thrill.   God knows.

Anyway, tell ya what.  Please put me on ignore.   It'll make you happier.

Stick to football nobody wants to hear you bitch about other posters

14 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

They were kept because the Jets just kicked the Bengals arse with Mike White. Gotta fill MetLife when the Jets face the Bills. 

Really?  People are going to shell out $500+ to watch Maye and Crowder?  I don't think so.  They were kept because nobody wanted to pay up for them or other similar players on other teams. The trade deadline was a dud for teams like the Jets that wanted to move vets that won't be back next season.

• Upvote 1