Chris Simms not a big Mike White fan!

Nixhead

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Bingo .. finally someone said it .. it was the decision making ... wow ... a third year QB processed better and faster than a kid 5 games in.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

A third year QB who was a fifth round pick that got kicked off the team that drafted him and shuffled around multiple practice squads had a decision making process that was better and faster than the second overall pick in the draft,.. you are correct.

Oh yeah and he actually was a baseball player. He wanted to get into MLB. Just to make it clear @DunnieI'm not on the Mike White bandwagon. I'm just stating that his decision making was obviously better than Zachs.

Obviously something was different, something was changed because that's how the offense is supposed to look.

6 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Agreed! One more thing - when you put the ball up 45 times your gonna have an interception or 2 - but I will take that every time along with the 37 completions. Wasn't Mike White also a pitcher in college? I think he had a pretty good fastball. His arm might not be on the level of a Josh Allen but I'm betting he's got  pretty decent arm talent. Also who's to say you can't win in the NFL dinking passes? The Jets just did it. The Pats do it. Its apparently hard to stop. 

Don't let Simms rob you your happiness, that's a job for the Jets organization ?

All kidding aside, I don't remember anyone having a problem with Brady throwing 4 yard passes non stop to Welker for 2 seasons of more.

Forget that.

• Upvote 1

A third year QB who was a fifth round pick that got kicked off the team that drafted him and shuffled around multiple practice squads had a decision making process that was better and faster than the second overall pick in the draft,.. you are correct.
Oh yeah and he actually was a baseball player. He wanted to get into MLB. Just to make it clear [mention=28731]Dunnie[/mention]I'm not on the Mike White bandwagon. I'm just stating that his decision making was obviously better than Zachs.
Obviously something was different, something was changed because that's how the offense is supposed to look.
That is tru .. could it be the entire team executed better after the NE debacle and coaches were on them. Receivers running proper crisp routes, OL run blocking better, OL protectung better, Mosley back ... etc

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

One thing is a fact:  they ran less 2 TE sets and spread the field out with wide receivers.  

That opened up the dump offs to the backs.  You can’t dispute that.  

If White keeps rolling then keep playing him.  

Personally, I’d put Zach back in when healthy with a short leash.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Lol.  This board. 

All year people have been ragging on Mac Jones for being Captain Dink and Dunk….then…..Mike White averages <5 air yards per completion….4th lowest in the league all year….but Mike White is all of the sudden the second coming of Brady. 

Nothing Chris Simms said was incorrect.  Let’s see what Mike White does going forward but I suspect it’s not going to be as easy as it was against Cincy. 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Nothing Simms said was wrong

This. - Reaction GIFs | Giphy, Funny images, Cool gifs

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Simms is 100% correct. White did a nice job BUT "it was a dink and dunk fest" LOL,  Check Down Check Check Check check check check every throw 4 yards LOL He aint wrong here.  Colts will TAKE away those itsy bitsy throws on Thursday and force White to go down field.

"Shut up everybody Mike White is NOT the answer" LOL HAhahahhahaha that's FUNNY

Sounds good in theory but if that is true then why are the Pats and Mac Jones having success? I think the dink and dunk is not as easy to stop as you think. Stopping players from YAC and immediate QB pressure is the only way to stop it.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

I will never take any of these things seriously after the Sam Darnold experience

It's a sad moment when a Jets fan loses their youthful optimism but it's also a rite of passage. Welcome to senior status :D 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Zach couldn’t complete those dink and dunks consistently and/or ignored them in favor of the deeper pass. We will see what Mike White does here in the future. He needs to stack these. Cinci doesnt have the CBs to play man all game and I am not sure Indy does either. The big test will probably be Buffalo if he plays well and wins in Indy.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I like Simms okay, but he sounds kind of like a moron here.  We have to hand it to the Jets D for bailing him out for "the stupid interceptions" that he threw?  He didn't throw any stupid interceptions.  He threw a stupid almost interception.  He took the short stuff?  Cool.  They called those plays for Wilson and he hit the bed consistently on that.  Let the D cover the short stuff.  I welcome it.  He threw a ton of balls to the backs because he threw a ton of  balls.  He got first downs.  He earned them.  Look at the ******* drive charts.  7 play drive with INT off guy's hands.  INT with ball off guy's hands.  8 play drive with missed FG.  30 yards and a fumble.  

Wilson literally plays from way behind all the time and didn't or was incapable of taking advantage of teams giving up that sh*t for entire halves.  Yes Wilson has had better splash throws, but if Wilson had made those two out throws to the endzone before the half? Simms would be ranting about them.  Personally the TD to Kroft was my favorite.  

i get that White might not be the future, but Simms is an odd guy.  to say that.  Simms is a guy who thought/wanted he could be the man despite not really having the pedigree beyond Daddy's last name.  I think the D did look much better with Mosley and Davis back at LB, but they gave up 30.  I think Kroft being back helped, but let's not act like White didn't have a good game.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I'm getting a little tired of the knee-jerk reaction from people like Simms. "He was just throwing underneath to guys who were wide open." Well, yes, for the most part. But with the way the rules are written and the way offenses are run, somebody's going to be open on practically every play. Isn't the hardest part of playing quarterback the ability to find that open guy and throw him the ball? Isn't an inability to do exactly that the problem that's been plaguing Wilson for the first six games of his career? Isn't an inability to do exactly that the thing that has doomed all sorts of physically gifted young quarterbacks? When was the last time we saw a Jets quarterback consistently find the open man within the structure of the offense?

I have no idea if White can replicate Sunday's performance; the likeliest outcome is that that was the best game he'll ever play in his life, and a year from now he'll be back on the bench and we'll all be saying "Remember the Mike White Game? Man, that was weird." But I feel like running the guy down for throwing underneath is really missing the point.

• Upvote 3

Mike White deserves all the credit he has been getting. It’s an amazing story and he played an incredible game. But if you look below the surface there are some things that make you pump the brakes. Short throws, great runs after the catch, etc. He had some great endzone throws to Cole and Berrios (and Mims). But I don’t remember too many good deep throws and he overthrew Moore on the sure TD.

• Upvote 1

Simms isn't wrong.  White's a nice backup.  

The OL played much better.  Zach was running for his life every game.

The play calling was way better.  Zach had guys only two running routes and two TE sets with max protect.  

The D played better.  They didn't routinely give up 20 play, 10 minute drives.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I may be a bit of an outlier here but I actually really like Chris Simms. I think he brings a fresh honest opinion, and he's not just some talking head P.C. puppet trying constantly to be right.

I think he's not afraid to be himself and he really just puts out that what he's thinking in the moment. I find that refreshing.

That said it was very obvious that Mike White was making quicker decisions than we've seen Zach make all year. In fact that was Zach Wilson's problem in my opinion, he was trying to do too much and not taking what was just sitting there right in front of him.

Was it John Beck? Was it LaFleur suddenly going up into the booth? Nobody else noticed that the team looked like they were playing really hard for the backup QB!?

Maybe it was a perfect storm and the coaching staff finally got their s*** together? You know we have a really young team full of rookies from the coaching staff on down. Maybe they did simplify the offense in full blown panic mode cuz they lost their starting QB. Obviously they'd never admit that lol!!!

I do agree with Simms that at the very least, we have a really good backup QB. He came in and did his job and looked like a billion dollars! It would be nice to see Zach come back and have the same success. Either way it's a nice problem to have and may the best man win.

Good points and I think in response to your questions: Most teams, after getting their brains bashed in, come out like junk yard dogs and thats exactly what the Jets did.  The CS obviously got in their ear. And changes and adjustments were obviously forthcoming - LaFleur up in the sky, a more experienced White doing the the dinky dunk thing to the Bengals. If Zach can get this aspect of his game straightened out, he'll be equally dangerous.  And has John Beck made an impression this quickly?  maybe. But its clear the OC finally chamged his approach. They took the ball FIRST and took to the offensive - change. They threw the ball - albeit dinky dunks, numeros times - change. This alone created an optimism since it gave the team momentum instead of the usual 2 runs up the middle inc pass 3 and out. The defense wasnt on the field the entire game. HUGE. Again, it gave the team the idea they could actually compete instead of getting abused and steamrolled.  Now lets see if White can adjust to the adjustment that will be coming Thursday night. Obviously, the Colts will be looking for that short passing game and try and take it away. 

• Upvote 1

IMO the productive run game was a result of the rest of the O working more than vice versa.  They used 2 TEs several plays in the 1st drive with Griffin and Kroft.  They had several negative runs in the first half.  They had some good runs too, but under Wilson they were rarely converting after a -1 yard run on 1st or 2nd down. 

They also opened it up with a bunch of trick stuff.  Simms seems to be saying that is something they did to protect White, but IMO it is something teams often do to slow penetration and fool teams that are big on quick flow to the ball.   Parcells and Belichick do it all the time.  Even if it doesn't work, it plants the seed in the defender's head.

They punted one time the entire game.  When you consider that the two INTs were arguably not on White and Crowder's fumble certainly wasn't, I don't see how you can complain.  Yes, he likely can't replicate it, but that shouldn't diminish it either.  

To be fair, I think the MIms TD drop was thrown by Johnson.  . 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I'm getting a little tired of the knee-jerk reaction from people like Simms. "He was just throwing underneath to guys who were wide open." Well, yes, for the most part. But with the way the rules are written and the way offenses are run, somebody's going to be open on practically every play. Isn't the hardest part of playing quarterback the ability to find that open guy and throw him the ball? Isn't an inability to do exactly that the problem that's been plaguing Wilson for the first six games of his career? Isn't an inability to do exactly that the thing that has doomed all sorts of physically gifted young quarterbacks? When was the last time we saw a Jets quarterback consistently find the open man within the structure of the offense?

I have no idea if White can replicate Sunday's performance; the likeliest outcome is that that was the best game he'll ever play in his life, and a year from now he'll be back on the bench and we'll all be saying "Remember the Mike White Game? Man, that was weird." But I feel like running the guy down for throwing underneath is really missing the point.

Yeah exactly. That’s what I want my QB to do. Be decisive and hit the open man immediately. That’s exactly what he did for 3 yards and for 15 yard passes. He didn’t hesitate and it won him the game. Hopefully he keeps it going.