Mims is a joke

JTJet

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It’s his second year in the NFL. If he didn’t start catching with his hands in high school or in college or last year what makes you think he will ever start?

Who the hell knows if he will or won't. 

Statisically it's unlikely but it was statistically unlikely Sandy Koufax would become the greatest pitcher of all time after sucking for 5 years.

13 minutes ago, naturalscience said:

Who the hell knows if he will or won't. 

Statisically it's unlikely but it was statistically unlikely Sandy Koufax would become the greatest pitcher of all time after sucking for 5 years.

We aren’t asking Mims to throw a baseball.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

that's fine.  I don't agree but that's really not the point.

Nothing that happened tonight should have changed anyone views on Denzel Mims.

I'm basically in my own camp of Mims is a very talented player who I want to see developed. The series of unfortunate events (food poisoning, losing 20 pounds) compacted with some self inflicted wounds have made this a seemingly  lost season. Hopefully he and Zach can build some chemistry through the end of the season,  but he needs to get on the field for that.

He needs to get his head straight, a pep talk from Bryce Hall would probably  so him some good.

That being said I'm still a fan of his potential. Have to love the the large segment of  "fans" trashing the kid into oblivion due to a rough sophomore year. Bunch of miserable **** stains in this fan base but that's a given.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Lurker89 said:

I'm basically in my own camp of Mims is a very talented player who I want to see developed. The series of unfortunate events (food poisoning, losing 20 pounds) compacted with some self inflicted wounds have made this a seemingly  lost season. Hopefully he and Zach can build some chemistry through the end of the season,  but he needs to get on the field for that.

He needs to get his head straight, a pep talk from Bryce Hall would probably  so him some good.

That being said I'm still a fan of his potential. Have to love the the large segment of  "fans" trashing the kid into oblivion due to a rough sophomore year. Bunch of miserable **** stains in this fan base but that's a given.

I’ve not given up on him. I still think he has potential to be a serious weapon. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

JD did the right thing when he passed on Mims the first time around, but ended up taking Mims anyway. Should have went with that first instinct. No way JD was playing 4D chess with the trade down. 

This is what I have been saying for 2 years....you don't love a player that drops a full round to you and still trade back...the narrative around that trade back was silly and made no sense.

• Upvote 1

So I pulled up a compilation someone made on youtube of his rookie year catches. Two things jump out (other than his size/speed/etc., which you can also see in some guys who don’t even play football):

1. He’s got hands when he needs to use them. Full extension - which is considerable for him - he can grab the ball in the air and haul it in when needed, including with some acrobatics and when in traffic or tight windows of opportunity.
  2. When the pass location permits it, he’s got a clear body-catcher instinct: if it can be caught with his body, he’s going to do that. If he can jump up a foot or so to facilitate the ball hitting him at his arms-down elbow height, to catch it with his inner arm & chest, he’ll often do that, too. 

He doesn’t have superhuman-sized mitts (particularly for a guy so long) but they’re not super-small either. They’re about average for an NFL WR, and average is plenty big enough to be a dangerous weapon.

What his instinct doesn’t “tell” him is that, with those sticky-rubbery WR gloves, it’s easier to catch with his hands than his body. And even if it goes through his hands to his body he’ll still have a second chance to catch it rebounding off his own chest. 

I half wonder if it’s a reflex anticipation of getting hit. When someone’s running with him 1-on-1 (especially by the sideline) he knows where the only defender is, knows it’s right on him, and can be less protective of his body. When going over the middle, especially shorter & mid-distance and wide open, relatively still rather then being hit in stride, he doesn’t know what’s running up from behind him to launch into him like a missile, and maybe his reflex is to curl up into a ball (figuratively speaking) by keeping everything into his core. 

It’s a reflex many have innately, and it takes time to get out of that instinct. The good news is that he can catch with his hands. The bad news is his muscle-memory instinct isn’t to use them unless that’s his only option.

In the meantime? If he can’t be accurately hit in stride just-ahead of his body, then throw the ball above his shoulder pads or throw it to someone else. Or put him back on the bench, where he was for weeks when everyone was ripping the FO for doing so.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Until last night I was willing to defend him and talk him up. Last year he seemed like he could make the tough catch while defended, and maybe he can, but he seems to have a disability catching the routine stuff and that is a big problem as demonstrated multiple times last night. He needs to start catching the ball regularly starting next game if they throw him any balls.

• Sympathy 1