Stupid Saleh made Mims a head case

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, a hypothetical. Zach Wilson is a suburban mama’s boy from Utah who almost lost his starting job because his coach at BYU thought he was a mush. I’d imagine he’s the sort of man-boy who’s ego you, as his coach, would commit resources to protect (hello John Beck!) 

As this pertains to Mims, if you bash his head in to develop him, you’re getting nada out of him. But if you give him a little Zach Wilson preferential treatment, maybe you end up with a 1,000 yard receiver. I think you gotta make concessions in some cases, just to see if it bears fruit

I would be all for the Jets giving every player their own personal Beck if that did the trick.  However, for now Saleh and LaFleur have far bigger issues on their hands to worry about than the #5/#6 WR.  There's not much they can right do now if he can hardly catch a pass after being given back-to-back starts, which is about as much preferential treatment as he can hope for mid-season.

That could quickly enough change throughout offseason/camp/preseason next year, especially as the WR room is sure to thin out. That's probably where he has the best chance to get it all together, particularly if he's so reliant on others to get there.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

Mims drops suck this year- agree

But he didn’t have that issue last year.

Correct he did not... In fact if you look at some of the catches he's made, they are head turners. That said, he needs to grow a pair, and take care of business like a man.

The excuses people are willing to make for this guy.

Last week someone started a thread singling him out for praise when he had three targets, two catches and dropped a potentially game changing TD in the endzone that cost us 4 points.

The cultish behaviour rivals the JD guys although no doubt there’s a link.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I feel that receiver is a position that requires 120% overload delusional amounts of confidence and that’s why all great receivers are narcissistic asswipes. I believe they tried to break Mims down to build him back up, but he’s just gonna stay down. You can’t **** with every player the same way, and Mims strikes me as a guy who only responds to positive, upbeat coaching. I think (as discussed in that Pauline article) that there’s a lot of paranoia and cutthroat sh*t going on between Saleh, Douglas, and the Johnsons, and Mims is just one of the guys caught up in that wash. They should have traded him.

Can you post this article?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, a hypothetical. Zach Wilson is a suburban mama’s boy from Utah who almost lost his starting job because his coach at BYU thought he was a mush. I’d imagine he’s the sort of man-boy who’s ego you, as his coach, would commit resources to protect (hello John Beck!) 

As this pertains to Mims, if you bash his head in to develop him, you’re getting nada out of him. But if you give him a little Zach Wilson preferential treatment, maybe you end up with a 1,000 yard receiver. I think you gotta make concessions in some cases, just to see if it bears fruit

Don’t think it’s that deep. He’s just not good.

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Unable to catch because his confidence is shot or unconfident because he cannot catch?

"My horse would have won today if only the trainer had agreed to use the Titanium horseshoes.  The pick was a good one" 

I have used that excuse many times. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barton said:

The guy who started this thread may not be off the mark. Mims looked solid last year. WRs with confidence problems drop more balls, just saying. 

Mims performance last year has always been wildly overrated, due to a combination of grading him on a rookie curve and the team having absolutely nothing but Crowder at WR last year.  It's simply the Herndon effect all over again.  In reality, Mims had 23 catches last season, with one of the worst catch rates on the team, and is still waiting for his first career TD.

He's shown the physical ability and that's why it's worth giving him a chance to see whether he can improve and step it up in the future, but he's done nothing to suggest his continually poor play is the fault of anyone but himself, nor deserving of any aspect of the team built around him until that changes.

• Upvote 1

Get out of here with this. You’re acting like he was unstoppable last year and Saleh has forced him into a shell. Mims has a ton of potential but he has huge red flags. I doubt Saleh is coaching him to catch with his t!ts. He doesn’t seem to want to be here. Listen to his draft day call to JD when he was selected. He’s mush. 

Just now, the Claw said:

Get out of here with this. You’re acting like he was unstoppable last year and Saleh has forced him into a shell. Mims has a ton of potential but he has huge red flags. I doubt Saleh is coaching him to catch with his t!ts. He doesn’t seem to want to be here. Listen to his draft day call to JD when he was selected. He’s mush. 

He won't see this until 2pm.

Drunk people sleeping - Album on Imgur

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, longsuffering88 said:

This clearly is because he knows the CS hates him and he’s in his own head.

another failure by Saleh to “raise the players up”… how did you raise Mims up? 

Saleh ruined mims. Needs to be held accountable.

Nope. Mims tries to avoid hand-fighting the DB by body or basket catches. He is barely reliable. That sh!t is Pop Warner

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, longsuffering88 said:

You can't actually be that dumb, can you?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Barton said:

The guy who started this thread may not be off the mark. Mims looked solid last year. WRs with confidence problems drop more balls, just saying. 

What a fragile little bird Mims must be then, if actual expectations and accountability broke him and his fragile confidence so thoroughly that he can longer catch the football.  

I don't think you Mims supporters realize how amazingly soft and weak you're making Mims look in this thread with this argument.

Stud WR's can't be broken over being expected to know the route tree ffs.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Warfish said:

What a fragile little bird Mims must be then, if actual expectations and accountability broke him and his fragile confidence so thoroughly that he can longer catch the football.  

I don't think you Mims supporters realize how amazingly soft and weak you're making Mims look in this thread with this argument.

Stud WR's can't be broken over being expected to know the route tree ffs.

The road to bust is paved with untapped potential

11 hours ago, longsuffering88 said:

No offense, but you appear to be a moron. 

• Upvote 2

I have been a Mims supporter, but I just can't anymore.   His play has been awful.  He lets balls get into his body -- that led to the drop in the end zone last week and looked like it led to the drops yesterday.  I don't remember seeing the body catching as an issue in college, but it is now.  Let him fix it in practice, you cannot put him out there in games right now.  Especially once Corey Davis is healthy.  Davis, Cole, Moore, Crowder, Berrios and even Smith should all be ahead of him.

I am still holding out hope that he gets his head out of his ass and starts to play the way I expected when he was drafted.  But let him figure it out on Wed-Friday in practice.  

• Upvote 2