Marcus Maye possible Achilles injury

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Could be career ending for Maye. No one is going to sign him next season, and then he will be a 30 year old  safety coming off a mediocre at best season and an achilles injury.

He was a decent player, banged up a lot.

We should have traded him and gotten an asset back.  

Maybe taking two safeties in that draft wasn't the right thing to do.  :)

I do feel terrible for Maye. I commend Douglas for not giving him top $, Maye over played his hand. Good Jet though, I actually hope he works out a way to be back here next year. Nice veteran leader just isn't a top safety.

• Upvote 2

This is why I hate when the franchise tag is used in bad faith. It's also why I don't blame players looking out for themselves.

Maye made it known he didn't want to be tagged, because he knew with his age, this was his only chance for a big long term deal. The Jets tagged him anyway when Douglas probably had no plans of retaining him past this year at a number they both would agree with.

Now Maye will likely miss an entire year, and will be worth pennies on the market as an old Safety coming off injury. Meanwhile Jamal Adams went scorched earth and is now the highest paid safety in the NFL.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

This is why I hate when the franchise tag is used in bad faith. It's also why I don't blame players looking out for themselves.

Maye made it known he didn't want to be tagged, because he knew with his age, this was his only chance for a big long term deal. The Jets tagged him anyway when Douglas probably had no plans of retaining him past this year at a number they both would agree with.

Now Maye will likely miss an entire year, and will be worth pennies on the market as an old Safety coming off injury. Meanwhile Jamal Adams, went scorched earth and is now the highest paid safety in the NFL.

That's what he gets for trying to be professional. I bet you if he had to do it again he would had favored shaming Douglas into getting rid of him.

2 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

That's what he gets for trying to be professional. I bet you if he had to do it again he would had favored shaming Douglas into getting rid of him.

I just hate how some GMs abuse the tag. It's meant to extend the window in which teams and players can negotiate. Some players are fine with the tag, but Maye publicly stated he wasn't. Some front offices just use it to take players hostage for 1 year.

I remember when the Panthers tagged Josh Norman, and when they realized they weren't close in numbers, they rescinded the tag and let him test the market.

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We should have traded him and gotten an asset back.  

I think Douglas would have if we got a good offer. My guess is we were offered a 4th or a 5th.

I think not trading Maye was meant to be a signal to the team that we aren't throwing in the towel on the season. 

• Upvote 1