Marcus Maye possible Achilles injury

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

How is it sh*tty to the player?

And using the tag ISN'T just for extending the time to negotiate--sometimes it's used multiple times to squeeze the last juice out of the orange before you throw it into the trashbin.

You answered your own question.

Maye has publicly stated he didn't want to be tagged. Doing something against an individuals wishes because you can is just a sh*tty thing in many cases. He likely didn't want to get tagged for your later reason. They used the tag to pay Maye less than what he believed he was worth, and wouldn't let him test the market.

5 hours ago, Jetpain said:

But again, shouldnt Maye's argument be against his own players union for allowing the tag to be used the way it is?   its not the Jets fault fall using the tag as allowed.  Players Association agreed to this in the CBA

Both the union and front office are at fault. The front office doesn't need to tag him, knowing that most people worthy of the tag are not fans of it. Why piss off a player you plan to keep long term? This is exactly what happened with Maye in the off-season.

It's the same reason why teams don't use the franchise tag before extending QBs to mega contracts that would be cheaper with the tag. Not good to piss off players you want to keep long term.

3 hours ago, redlichtie said:

What is it with this team and injuries?…Sherwood and now Maye with the Achilles tears which is possibly one of the worst injuries any athlete can endure, at least modern surgery has made ACL’s and knee injuries far less of a career ended than they used to be

it’s been chronic the last 3 years with us, is it conditioning or the training surfaces at Florham Park?….either way it’s way beyond the normal for any team and will continue to destroy any hope of putting a cohesive and competitive team on the field 

And didnt they part ways with their Head Athletic Trainer of many years John Melody ?? Seemed to make him the scapegoat a couple of years ago but nothing has changed since getting rid of him.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

That player would have been available in March if not for the tag. It extends the negotiating window by 4 months.
If most players worthy of the tag don't like it, how is that not abuse?

Again, some teams use the tag in bad faith to get the player cheap for an extra year. This is exactly what happened with Maye.

Yes they are available before the tag, and then up to July 15 after the tag is assigned.

Again, the franchise tag is not abuse it is collectively agreed upon, it does not matter if the individual player likes it or not it is part of their agreement, and specifically designed to let customers keep players.

There is ZERO "bad faith" in franchising a player. You are seeing some unwritten agreement that does not exist. 

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, redlichtie said:

What is it with this team and injuries?…Sherwood and now Maye with the Achilles tears which is possibly one of the worst injuries any athlete can endure, at least modern surgery has made ACL’s and knee injuries far less of a career ended than they used to be

it’s been chronic the last 3 years with us, is it conditioning or the training surfaces at Florham Park?….either way it’s way beyond the normal for any team and will continue to destroy any hope of putting a cohesive and competitive team on the field 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Carl Lawson for the Achilles as well.  Something is wrong 

Crap yes, I completely forgot about Lawson, good point…that’s 3 guys in less than 2 months with Achilles tears….I wonder what percentage of players league-wide are suffering those injuries especially, but the career jeopardising ones in general…it feels like we are being hit especially hard by these and it’s been too consistent for too many years to just be put down to a freakish “bad year”

i don’t pay enough attention to other teams to know if it’s especially ridiculous for the Jets the last 3-4 years, it certainly feels that way

1 hour ago, Jetpain said:

And didnt they part ways with their Head Athletic Trainer of many years John Melody ?? Seemed to make him the scapegoat a couple of years ago but nothing has changed since getting rid of him.   

In fairness to the new department they set up to deal with this specifically, they’ve only been in situe a few months and this could be something that needs a year or two to get to the bottom of. But yes it’s a concern that the pattern hasn’t slowed at all and the Achilles tears are especially troubling

As I have said before, using the franchise tag on a S , DT, LB, C/G or RB just seems wrong.   As a general matter, it should be reserved for QBs that a team investing alot of time in developing.   Maybe WR.  For the short lived positions, the team pays a decent premium for that last year, and a decent percent of the time they get hurt.  

We don't know what went on with the Maye negotiations.  We guess 3/27/18 or so made sense (years/total/guaranteed).   If his agent turned it down he was an idiot. 

But unfortunately more players may choose not to play under the franchise tag.  i don't blame them. 

14 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I might call on you as my sponsor.

Seriously, I've been feeling this come on for a while now.  Other than for the online friendships/camaraderie and goofing around, I often don't even want to bother posting here.  Why waste my time talking about the same garbage we've all watched for decades?   Even with all the fanfare of a new QB/HC etc. it just never changes.  Once again, 2-6.

But then I picture@The Crusher's sad, adorable face in tears at the prospect of me missing from this brood so I log on.

Add me to that list too sir.  I don’t want to post on a JN without munch. ❤️

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, undertow said:

I can't get outraged about a football player making 30 mil in his career instead of 90...if they don't like the franchise tag then they can collectively bargain it out of the next contract.

Or he can come out of college before he turns 24 and be more than just a pretty-good safety on the field. 

Hey I do feel a little badly Maye or for anyone losing out on a lot of money, and I definitely feel for anyone who gets hurt (let alone in a second straight contract year). At the same time he wasn’t performing like a franchise tag worthy safety this season either. 

The Jets offered him an extension and he turned it down. If he wasn’t satisfied with the offer he should’ve played at an all-pro level, where the team would’ve caved if he’d held out. 

This idea that the team used the tag in bad faith is ridiculous. Literally the only position that should arguably be immune from the tag is RB. Everyone else is fair game, and until such time as they carve out exceptions, that goes for RBs as well.

But if I was making a list of people I truly feel for, Maye and his millions earned before age 30 wouldn’t ever enter my mind. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Or he can come out of college before he turns 24 and be more than just a pretty-good safety on the field. 

Hey I do feel a little badly Maye or for anyone losing out on a lot of money, and I definitely feel for anyone who gets hurt (let alone in a second straight contract year). At the same time he wasn’t performing like a franchise tag worthy safety this season either. 

The Jets offered him an extension and he turned it down. If he wasn’t satisfied with the offer he should’ve played at an all-pro level, where the team would’ve caved if he’d held out. 

This idea that the team used the tag in bad faith is ridiculous. Literally the only position that should arguably be immune from the tag is RB. Everyone else is fair game, and until such time as they carve out exceptions, that goes for RBs as well.

But if I was making a list of people I truly feel for, Maye and his millions earned before age 30 wouldn’t ever enter my mind. 

I mean you can make an argument that the 2nd year of the tag is unnecessary or unfair and that by then you should have made a decision on if the player is part of your future or not but tagging a player for one year can work out for both parties.   I would say RBs have the biggest complaint not a free safety making 18 mil.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Despite trading away Jamal and now watching Maye play in what was likely his final game as a Jet, this board will still lose its mind if JD uses a pick in the first two rounds on a Safety.

No chance that happens, especially not with this coaching staff in place.  Low investment in the secondary will be the way Douglas will operate.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, varjet said:

As I have said before, using the franchise tag on a S , DT, LB, C/G or RB just seems wrong.   As a general matter, it should be reserved for QBs that a team investing alot of time in developing.   Maybe WR.  For the short lived positions, the team pays a decent premium for that last year, and a decent percent of the time they get hurt.  

We don't know what went on with the Maye negotiations.  We guess 3/27/18 or so made sense (years/total/guaranteed).   If his agent turned it down he was an idiot. 

But unfortunately more players may choose not to play under the franchise tag.  i don't blame them. 

You realize that the tag price is based on the value of contracts for that position right?

16 hours ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

You answered your own question.

Maye has publicly stated he didn't want to be tagged. Doing something against an individuals wishes because you can is just a sh*tty thing in many cases. He likely didn't want to get tagged for your later reason. They used the tag to pay Maye less than what he believed he was worth, and wouldn't let him test the market.

You’ve really missed the point. 

It’s a tool in the CBA. Front offices use it and do not care if the player doesn’t like it. 

Don’t like it? Change it. Or don’t play. 

If I’ve got an aging player I don’t want to extend but I want him for 1 (or maybe 2) more useful seasons before his talent fully erodes you’re damn right I’m tagging him. 

Caring that a player is pissed or that it’s a sh*tty thing is being naive. 

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No chance that happens, especially not with this coaching staff in place.  Low investment in the secondary will be the way Douglas will operate.  

But the funny thing is (and not the ha ha type funny) I’ve seen at least 4 mocks having us take the safety Kyle Hamilton out of ND with the 4th pick.  

Its like these mock experts have no idea who the Jets are. No WAY we’re drafting a safety early. 

12 hours ago, undertow said:

I can't get outraged about a football player making 30 mil in his career instead of 90...if they don't like the franchise tag then they can collectively bargain it out of the next contract  

Exactly. Boo hoo it’s a “sh*tty” thing to do to a player. 

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

You’ve really missed the point. 

It’s a tool in the CBA. Front offices use it and do not care if the player doesn’t like it. 

Don’t like it? Change it. Or don’t play. 

If I’ve got an aging player I don’t want to extend but I want him for 1 (or maybe 2) more useful seasons before his talent fully erodes you’re damn right I’m tagging him. 

Caring that a player is pissed or that it’s a sh*tty thing is being naive. 

Apply this concept to any other job or yourself, and you realize it's a sh*tty thing to do, even if it's allowed.

Imagine if your skills are in high demand, and your current employer low balls you on a offer, when you know a competitors will pay you more with long term security. When you decline the disrespectful offer, he forces you to stay at the company below market value until your value erodes. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

Apply this concept to any other job or yourself, and you realize it's a sh*tty thing to do, even if it's allowed.

Imagine if your skills are in high demand, and your current employer low balls you on a offer, when you know a competitors will pay you more with long term security. When you decline the disrespectful offer, he forces you to stay at the company below market value until your value erodes. 

LOLwhut?

So you don't understand how the NFL and/or a collectively bargained contract works.

Employees at will can leave any time they want, a better offer comes in and while respectful to give 2-3 weeks notice, it is not legally required.

Employees at will can leave with zero notice.  If the employee has an employment contract, he needs to abide by its terms (non-comp, intellectual property etc.).  Employers can not FORCE you to stay.  Slavery ended back in the 1800s.  There is no more indentured servitude.  

NFL player are not employees at will, they have TWO employment contracts.  The one THEY sign and the CBA.

If you are under contract to a team, no matter how sh*tty the team or situaiton is, you either honor your contract or you sit out and do not get paid. You can't just skip to another team. Unless you are an unrestricted free agent.

The franchise tag is a type of empoyment contract--you are beholden to THAT team.  

Don't like it, go get a job at a bank.

The franchise tag is not there to protect players, it is there to protect the teams.   

You're being either incredibly naive or purposfully ignorant about how the real world vis-a-vis the NFL works.  

• Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Despite trading away Jamal and now watching Maye play in what was likely his final game as a Jet, this board will still lose its mind if JD uses a pick in the first two rounds on a Safety.

The guy who really needs to step up now is Ashtyn Davis.

He seems to be pretty ok at tackling guys after 7 yards or so. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Barton said:

Apparently, per NY post, the Jets offered him a contract extension paying him 11 mill per year - this past offseason.

Ouch. 

Interesting article, which totally annihilates his agent who does seem like a complete idiot.

• Upvote 2