PFF mock Draft--Jets #6 Evan Neal

49 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I can't really argue it, at this point.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-nfl-mock-draft-kayvon-thibodeaux-no-1-detroit-lions-ole-miss-qb-matt-corral-washington-football-team

6. NEW YORK JETS: OT EVAN NEAL, ALABAMA

As I’ve said before, I’m going to keep mocking this one until told otherwise. First, the 6-foot-7, 350-pound Alabama tackle would give the Jets the most physically imposing tackle duo in the NFL. Second, it is quite obviously a need with Morgan Moses on a one-year deal. And third, Neal has already played on the right side as a sophomore at Alabama.

You really want to see that poor bastard come to the Jets ???  Or any would-be poor bastard for that matter. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

After watching this defense the last 3 weeks I think it’s possible we see two defensive players taken in the first round.  The O-line all of a sudden looks better when the QB can actually execute the offense.  

QB makes the weaponinZ

• Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Jets need linebackers big time! Their all gas no breaks defense doesn't seem to work when the opposition does a little misdirection and simply teams are using our aggressiveness against us. Yes the Jets need linebackers but also our scheme seems pretty beatable.

Yes they do, but you can get athletic linebackers outside of the 6 (or whatever spot).

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Meh, resign Moses move Fant back to RT and draft Jordan Davis.   Our DL sucks mega donkey balls and Jordan Davis is Chris Jones part 2 but possibly much better. 

Nah, Lawson is our best player and he's coming back. Just because he's hurt doesn't mean he won't ever play again. CB to pair with Hall would be great and the center.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I can't really argue it, at this point.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-nfl-mock-draft-kayvon-thibodeaux-no-1-detroit-lions-ole-miss-qb-matt-corral-washington-football-team

6. NEW YORK JETS: OT EVAN NEAL, ALABAMA

As I’ve said before, I’m going to keep mocking this one until told otherwise. First, the 6-foot-7, 350-pound Alabama tackle would give the Jets the most physically imposing tackle duo in the NFL. Second, it is quite obviously a need with Morgan Moses on a one-year deal. And third, Neal has already played on the right side as a sophomore at Alabama.

Number 6 pick . Don't think so

I would maybe enjoy a small trade down and go inside linemen. We need a guard and a center more than a tackle IMO (sign Moses/Fant). I watched McGovern get his ass kicked on the reg. We just saw what a dominant line does for a team. Go d after the first round

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

Nah, Lawson is our best player and he's coming back. Just because he's hurt doesn't mean he won't ever play again. CB to pair with Hall would be great and the center.

Not sure what Lawson coming back healthy has to do with drafting Jordan Davis.  They play different position.  Totally different guys, Davis is 4 inches taller and 100 lbs heavier.  lol

The Jets recent play has just screwed the franchise badly.  We are 100% totally fcked as far as team building goes.

You know all those nice projections we have been making about our top 4 picks?  Oline, Rush end, TE, maybe another oline .

It is now going to be rush end,, dline, safety, linebacker.

The offense after being ignored for years has had a few good results.  Our defense which is supposed to be at least passable is a total embarrassment.  We have a defensive head coach, the gm whether consciously or unconsciously will over draft defense and its going to be a big mistake and it's going to suck.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I will burn down entire cities if the Jets draft another nose tackle in the top ten

Mike White and Josh Johnson just helped this offense put up like 1,000 yards in the last 2 games.  The OL is fine.  Meanwhile, the D is absolutely getting gashed game in, game out.  Jordan Davis instantly changes your entire defense.  He's a freak of nature and a rare specimen.  You take him and play him at any position IDL, no matter the coaching staff, no matter the system and you dominate the LOS with Q.Will, Davis and Lawson coming off the edge.

I

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

we are not getting a OL in the 1st rd. 

forget how bad the defense is, you can just look at how JD drafts. he doing it the standard way. by Value. and it works for the best teams in the league.

you do not draft 3 guys in the 1st rd 3 years in a row. you dont pay out 3 big contracts on the OL. there are few  teams who has more and Atlanta had 5 last year and they havent been a good franchise.

our best line in 2009 had 2 #1s (Mangold, Brick )., 2 FAs (Faneca and Woody) and our own UDFA in Moore.

besides you can find good ones on day 2-3.

and it makes sense even before last night to go defense. JD use his 5 first and 2nd rd picks the last 2 years on offense. he has his offensive core, Wilson, Moore, Carter, AVT, Becton... now he needs his defensive core.

Edge, LB maybe 2, and a big body up front. 

and the offense seams to be just fine last 2 weeks with our horrible TEs. if that continues there is no need to use a high pick on one. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Lawson is no lock to be the same player coming back from an Achilles. Edge will definitely be on the table with a high pick. Unlikely that this regime decides to take any defensive backs high. If they go defense early, it’s Edge, Sam, or DT. 

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets recent play has just screwed the franchise badly.  We are 100% totally fcked as far as team building goes.

You know all those nice projections we have been making about our top 4 picks?  Oline, Rush end, TE, maybe another oline .

The offense after being ignored for years has had a few good results.  Our defense which is supposed to be at least passable is a total embarrassment.  We have a defensive head coach, the gm whether consciously or unconsciously will over draft defense and its going to be a big mistake and it's going to suck.

Ugh I hope we don't go back to business as usual.....this franchise needs to finally go all in on offense but I can totally see this happening. 

53 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

An edge rusher is still a need, and our LBs have been awful. So as much as it pains me, they are going to need to address the LB position in the 1st 2 rounds, preferably the 2nd round.

• Upvote 1

I should have added:

10. NEW YORK JETS (VIA SEA): EDGE DEMARVIN LEAL, TEXAS A&M

Head coach Robert Saleh will almost certainly look to bulk up his defensive line to 2019 49ers levels. That means adding more juice, even with Carl Lawson returning. Leal can fill the Arik Armstead role of an edge with inside versatility like he’s done at Texas A&M.

17 minutes ago, slats said:

Lawson is no lock to be the same player coming back from an Achilles. Edge will definitely be on the table with a high pick. Unlikely that this regime decides to take any defensive backs high. If they go defense early, it’s Edge, Sam, or DT. 

Agreed.  Plus Lawson has shown that he is injury prone and probably won’t make it through all 16 games next season.   I could see where the board could fall where the Jets take two defensive players in the first.  Maybe a Davis/Karlaftis combo.   Then go IOL/WR in the second.  

• Upvote 1

Now, let's examine what players are "around these slots:

2. HOUSTON TEXANS: EDGE AIDAN HUTCHINSON, MICHIGAN

3. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (VIA MIA): CB DEREK STINGLEY JR., LSU4. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: S KYLE HAMILTON, NOTRE DAME

5. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM: QB MATT CORRAL, OLE MISS

7. NEW YORK GIANTS: C TYLER LINDERBAUM, IOWA

8. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: EDGE GEORGE KARLAFTIS, PURDUE

9. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (VIA IND): QB MALIK WILLIS, LIBERTY

11. NEW YORK GIANTS (VIA CHI): EDGE DRAKE JACKSON, USC

12. ATLANTA FALCONS: DT JORDAN DAVIS, GEORGIA

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Now, let's examine what players are "around these slots:

2. HOUSTON TEXANS: EDGE AIDAN HUTCHINSON, MICHIGAN

3. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (VIA MIA): CB DEREK STINGLEY JR., LSU4. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: S KYLE HAMILTON, NOTRE DAME

5. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM: QB MATT CORRAL, OLE MISS

7. NEW YORK GIANTS: C TYLER LINDERBAUM, IOWA

8. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: EDGE GEORGE KARLAFTIS, PURDUE

9. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (VIA IND): QB MALIK WILLIS, LIBERTY

11. NEW YORK GIANTS (VIA CHI): EDGE DRAKE JACKSON, USC

12. ATLANTA FALCONS: DT JORDAN DAVIS, GEORGIA

It’s going to be a defense heavy top 15 of the draft.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Mike White and Josh Johnson just helped this offense put up like 1,000 yards in the last 2 games.  The OL is fine.  Meanwhile, the D is absolutely getting gashed game in, game out.  Jordan Davis instantly changes your entire defense.  He's a freak of nature and a rare specimen.  You take him and play him at any position IDL, no matter the coaching staff, no matter the system and you dominate the LOS with Q.Will, Davis and Lawson coming off the edge.

I

I’m with Tom here. Davis is big, athletic for his size, and has a positive impact on Georgia’s defense but he’s not playing a ton of snaps and doesn’t really have serious pass rush production.

Obviously you can’t win without stopping the run but those are easy, cheap fixes - not something to spend top ten picks on and not things that I think to be addressed at this stage of the rebuild. Pass rush and offense until you’ve got those two things then figure out corner and run defense later.

The Jets basically have the same key DL players on a defense that was top ten in YPC last year despite having a terrible offense and getting run on a ton. It’s not like Fatukasi and Williams suddenly became bad run defenders. This year’s team has similar issues with the offense so I’d think it’s largely scheme adjustment and poor linebacker play before just rushing to bad run defense = draft a defensive tackle.

Also the overhyped defensive tackles who play good run defense go top ten but you can find good two down nose tackles day two or early day three to shore up run defense. It’s pass rush that’s the differentiator. Davis’ on/off field splits are cool but when you’re off the field over 60% of the snaps and lack serious pass rush production…that’s not a top of the draft profile IMO. You take the guy who doesn’t play for the #1 team in the country but also plays good two down run defense and is athletic for his size in the third or fourth round.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1