PFF mock Draft--Jets #6 Evan Neal

25 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Now, let's examine what players are "around these slots:

2. HOUSTON TEXANS: EDGE AIDAN HUTCHINSON, MICHIGAN

3. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (VIA MIA): CB DEREK STINGLEY JR., LSU4. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: S KYLE HAMILTON, NOTRE DAME

5. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM: QB MATT CORRAL, OLE MISS

7. NEW YORK GIANTS: C TYLER LINDERBAUM, IOWA

8. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: EDGE GEORGE KARLAFTIS, PURDUE

9. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (VIA IND): QB MALIK WILLIS, LIBERTY

11. NEW YORK GIANTS (VIA CHI): EDGE DRAKE JACKSON, USC

12. ATLANTA FALCONS: DT JORDAN DAVIS, GEORGIA

look's like according to your mock here that this draft has alot of Edge going high. i think we need to take one of those stand out guys at 6th. besides you know Russell Wilson will be back and the Seattle pick wont be anywhere near 10. probably up around 18. i dont think we can wait that long for an edge. then again i dont think we pick 6. i see alot of winnable games. 

22 minutes ago, derp said:

I’m with Tom here. Davis is big, athletic for his size, and has a positive impact on Georgia’s defense but he’s not playing a ton of snaps and doesn’t really have serious pass rush production.

Obviously you can’t win without stopping the run but those are easy, cheap fixes - not something to spend top ten picks on and not things that I think to be addressed at this stage of the rebuild. Pass rush and offense until you’ve got those two things then figure out corner and run defense later.

The Jets basically have the same key DL players on a defense that was top ten in YPC last year despite having a terrible offense and getting run on a ton. It’s not like Fatukasi and Williams suddenly became bad run defenders. This year’s team has similar issues with the offense so I’d think it’s largely scheme adjustment and poor linebacker play before just rushing to bad run defense = draft a defensive tackle.

Also the overhyped defensive tackles who play good run defense go top ten but you can find good two down nose tackles day two or early day three to shore up run defense. It’s pass rush that’s the differentiator. Davis’ on/off field splits are cool but when you’re off the field over 60% of the snaps and lack serious pass rush production…that’s not a top of the draft profile IMO. You take the guy who doesn’t play for the #1 team in the country but also plays good two down run defense and is athletic for his size in the third or fourth round.

I think you're way over looking the talent of Jordan Davis by focusing on his college usage in a system know for subbing a ton and utilizing a ton of their elite depth.  And I respectfully disagree that a player of Davis size and athleticism is around in the 3rd round.  I also would argue that his presence plays a major factor in the pass rush because he cant be blocked by 1 man.  In our situation, think about what that would do for Williams/Lawson.

All that said, I'm not going to passionately argue one way or the other.  It's Nov. 

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Mike White and Josh Johnson just helped this offense put up like 1,000 yards in the last 2 games.  The OL is fine.  Meanwhile, the D is absolutely getting gashed game in, game out.  Jordan Davis instantly changes your entire defense.  He's a freak of nature and a rare specimen.  You take him and play him at any position IDL, no matter the coaching staff, no matter the system and you dominate the LOS with Q.Will, Davis and Lawson coming off the edge.

I

Fight me

22 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I think you're way over looking the talent of Jordan Davis by focusing on his college usage in a system know for subbing a ton and utilizing a ton of their elite depth.  And I respectfully disagree that a player of Davis size and athleticism is around in the 3rd round.  I also would argue that his presence plays a major factor in the pass rush because he cant be blocked by 1 man.  In our situation, think about what that would do for Williams/Lawson.

All that said, I'm not going to passionately argue one way or the other.  It's Nov. 

I didn’t say you’d find the same size and athleticism. Big nose tackle who’s athletic for his size to play two downs can absolutely be found later. The difference in size and athleticism at that position and role isn’t as important as others IMO. You want to improve the run defense you do can that later. That was the point.

You may be right that he’d have a dramatically oversized impact going up a level given the opportunity to play more snaps. That’s not a dice roll I’m taking in the top ten.

I’d also feel better about the talent if you were talking about someone who’s been dominant since day one and was projected early for a long time. Late blooming physically dominant nose tackle isn’t super exciting to me.

But you’re right, it’s November.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, derp said:

I didn’t say you’d find the same size and athleticism. Big nose tackle who’s athletic for his size to play two downs can absolutely be found later. The difference in size and athleticism at that position and role isn’t as important as others IMO. You want to improve the run defense you do can that later. That was the point.

You may be right that he’d have a dramatically oversized impact going up a level given the opportunity to play more snaps. That’s not a dice roll I’m taking in the top ten.

I’d also feel better about the talent if you were talking about someone who’s been dominant since day one and was projected early for a long time. Late blooming physically dominant nose tackle isn’t super exciting to me.

But you’re right, it’s November.

Still think you're underselling Davis's talent but really dont care.  And I just noticed your avatar, so probably liked the mock I didnt.  All good, agree to disagree.  Dont really care about the draft anymore to be honest.  Draft whoever.  Dont matter to me.  I cant control it.

10 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Still think you're underselling Davis's talent but really dont care.  And I just noticed your avatar, so probably liked the mock I didnt.  All good, agree to disagree.  Dont really care about the draft anymore to be honest.  Draft whoever.  Dont matter to me.  I cant control it.

I’m not really addressing the talent so I don’t know how I could be underselling it. And I wanted Rondale Moore last year, had him as my avatar, and they didn’t land him, so I figured I’d put up a fun prospect I wouldn’t mind them missing on. Logical thought process though.

• Upvote 1

You can't keep taking OL in the 1st round every year, at some point you need to pay them. Sign the cheap options for RT/RG, and invest those 1st round picks on EDGE which we are still completely trash at even with JFM and an unknown in Lawson off injury.

I’m always preaching they need to secure the oline first then get offensive playmakers then worry about the defense. The oline will be ok with one more piece and there’s good enough playmakers on the offense.
They need to go defense with the first pick then get Linderbaum or Green then more defense. This current defense is fcking awful. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Seriously. The Jets are supposed to burn the #6 pick in the country instead of re-signing a rock-solid veteran RT for $5-6MM/year, and let Fant & Becton duke it out for the LT job?

IMO that's even dumber than drafting a safety at #6. 

You take a player at #6 who isn't so easily replaced via FA, or later in the draft (a lot later than #6), or with the current players the team already has.

I am with him. 

I am having a tough time seeing a C and S going in the top 10.  I don't think it happens.

The best value is resigning or even franchising Moses and then trying to find a replacement.   

But if we thought the plan could be to let Moses go, sign a FA G, and then draft an Evan Neal and let him go from RT to LT, that could work too.  

Unfortunately for JD, his plan at LT can't be he drafted Becton and will extend him in 2 years.  Becton could easily be allowed to walk, so getting someone better now is not a bad idea either. 

• Upvote 1

What?  What are you guys smoking?  The oline has had a couple of passable games and suddenly it is fine.

Bullsh*t.  Same stuff all the time, oh we can get by and you get one injury and you are ****ed.

We need to build an all pro line not a hope Becton stays healthy oline.

A great oline with a only passable qb and good back just blew our fing doors off.

It will never  happen but I'd have no issue with using our top two picks on oline.

As it is we can probably say goodby to any offense at all after the sorry ass display  of our defense this year.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, varjet said:

I am with him. 

I am having a tough time seeing a C and S going in the top 10.  I don't think it happens.

The best value is resigning or even franchising Moses and then trying to find a replacement.   

But if we thought the plan could be to let Moses go, sign a FA G, and then draft an Evan Neal and let him go from RT to LT, that could work too.  

Unfortunately for JD, his plan at LT can't be he drafted Becton and will extend him in 2 years.  Becton could easily be allowed to walk, so getting someone better now is not a bad idea either. 

Yeah drafting a center in the top 10 simply isn’t done by anyone, winners or losers alike. Never mind they still have McGovern under contract, playing more than well enough to be the center of a SB winner, and the expectation that a rookie is going to instantly be his superior is wishful. Never mind the idea that this upgrade difference between McGovern, and whatever idea a rookie center will hopefully be, is hardly worthy of a top 10 pick. How many championship teams are built that way? Zero. Ever.

This all stems from some fans’ romance about the OL of 10+ years ago, ignoring that Ferguson (while he had a solid 10 yr career and played every game like very few have) wasn’t as good as 2021-Fant until his 3rd season, had a visible setback in his 5th year, and then was meh his last 2-3. Mangold was fantastic pretty much immediately, and remained a top notch center until his career suddenly ended.

There; those two comprise all the draft picks the team devoted to that starting OL. Moore was an UDFA they converted from DT years earlier, who took years to groom into his late-2000s form. They also grossly overpaid for Faneca, whom they paid several million just to get off the roster by his 3rd season, and got lucky on the gamble that Damien Woody would be a consistent RT. 

So yep I agree with you. Thing with Becton, though, is there’s no rush to do anything long term with him. First off, iirc he’s not even eligible to be extended until March of 2023 anyway: he has to have 3 years under his belt. Then after that his 5th year option isn’t going to be killer either because he wasn’t a top 10 pick. So even without an eventual extension or franchise tag, they’ve got him for 3 more years without breaking the bank.

They should be upgrading at RG, and with this many picks it’s hard to believe Douglas won’t do that. I think a pure guard, or maybe a G/C prospect, is likely with either the Seattle pick or at the top of round 2, but not in the top 10. Usually burning this many 1st rounders devoted to the OL in back to back to back years is way overkill, and I can’t think of a SB winner who devoted that level of resources to it, but with two extra 1sts and an extra 2nd over a two-year span, one more top-40 pick on the OL is a luxury they can surely expend. At least two of the remaining three picks in rounds 1+2 will probably go to the D, but it wouldn’t shock me to see the other used on a TE. 

Moses more than holds his own, or anyway the difference between him and a drafted RT upgrade isn’t going to turn the team around from trash to contender.

The more continuity they have on the line the better. Even with them trotting GVR out there still, they look night & day different than they did to start the season. The big difference beyond that has to come from the QB, playcalling, their tall WRs catching the ****ing football, and the D not making the O one-dimensional.

• Upvote 2

Honestly, I would be fine if they took Neal and the guard out of A&M K.Green with the Seattle pick. So far Moses has not looked all that good to me and we all know how desperately they need to get a replacement for GVR. 

The Jets can go pass rusher, CB or C with one of those picks but I really do like the young CBs we have, Carl Lawson will be coming back next year and I just think Neal and Green are better prospects than Linderbaum.

A veteran at C and build an absolute wall of freaks for Zach. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, David Harris said:

What if it came down to Evan Neal or Aiden Hutchinson?

I think I’d go Neal. Offense above defense until it’s set.

That would be tough decision but I’d prob go Hutchinson mainly because with our 2nd pick the Edge position will be much less of a sure thing while at OL we could still get Linderbaum, Green, or Ekwonu all which are starting caliber and very good albeit not all RTs  

it prob really depends on what we do in FA though. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

What?  What are you guys smoking?  The oline has had a couple of passable games and suddenly it is fine.

Bullsh*t.  Same stuff all the time, oh we can get by and you get one injury and you are ****ed.

We need to build an all pro line not a hope Becton stays healthy oline.

A great oline with a only passable qb and good back just blew our fing doors off.

It will never  happen but I'd have no issue with using our top two picks on oline.

As it is we can probably say goodby to any offense at all after the sorry ass display  of our defense this year.

Totally agree. The Jets have had two starting QBs knocked out of games already this year due to hits.  They have exactly ONE young stud OL starting at this time...AVT, who they need to worry about paying in a few years.  Becton is hurt and a huge ? as to what he's going to be. He needs to show that he can stay on the field. 

Going with cheap FA is what Mac tried for five years. The Jets have AVT, Becton, and a bunch of hold-the-fort guys right now.  Let's get a third young OL (C), and another developmental one at OT.  The Jets were lucky that Moses shook free for cheap, but now he's gonna want to get paid. There's zero depth behind these guys, and not a single young developmental guy of note. 

The Jets have two firsts and two seconds.  They absolutely should draft a stud C with one of those picks and slide McGovern to RG.  Then, take an OT somewhere in rounds 2-4 depending upon if they resign Fant and/or Becton comes back and can stay on the field for the rest of the season.  They can still pick a couple of defensive guys in there, too, at edge/lb/safety.  Also, how about a young TE with some speed?

And, they have two fourths and two fifths to draft more defenders.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Be_a_Jet said:

That would be tough decision but I’d prob go Hutchinson mainly because with our 2nd pick the Edge position will be much less of a sure thing while at OL we could still get Linderbaum, Green, or Ekwonu all which are starting caliber and very good albeit not all RTs  

it prob really depends on what we do in FA though. 

Yeah that’s what I’ve been thinking about too.  Take the Edge and shore up IOL with Seattle pick. 

it’s just tempting build a super unit OL with Neal and Linderbaum early and basically set for years. 

but yeah Hutchinson would be tough to pass on- can’t wait to see his combine numbers as they correlate with success at edge.

27 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'd like an edge with our highest pick and the Iowa center with our second first.

Add a linebacker and tight end in round 2.  

With the way the defense is sucking and seeing how the offense can function with a qb who can run the system, and also considering how they used their first 4 picks on offense last year, i think it’s more or less a foregone conclusion the jets are taking a pass rusher with their first pick in the first round.  The 2nd pick could either be an OL (but i doubt a center, frankly) or another defender, probably LB.  then in the 2nd round we’ll go OL and wr. 

• Upvote 1

I really like a lot of the guys we have on Offense. You have a good QB room, good Wrs, RB's etc.

If there's a standout Center, Right Tackle or Tight End I can see making the pick if we're getting value.

The Defense is all jumbled between rookies, unsigned free agents, guys in their last year of contracts, injuries etc. Obviously there are areas that need to be solidified.

The irony here is that this is the same thing Gase went through with the Offense for 2 years with all the injuries and overall imbalance.

Offensive minded HC that couldn't get his actual plan on the field. Now we got Saleh, a Defensive HC and same deal!? It's a little odd.