Mims the body catcher: it's not a new problem

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

It could very well be this was at least part of the reason he was benched for as long as he was this season.

But he’s still doing it and he’s unbenched. I’m not saying it’s easy to correct, but for a pro it should be. I would guess that it got into his head a bit as well and is making him drop easy throws even more. 

33 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I posted this in another thread, but buried on page 3 in a spammy thread it wouldn't get enough eyeballs, considering I spent time on it and have unresolved ego/attention issues.

---

I hadn't realized how bad it was either, but he did it all the time last year as well, if the ball was placed in a position for possible body catching, except for the one time he could plainly see that no defender was anywhere near him on a sideline screen (no danger of getting creamed from behind his back), and one more iffy one. 

What threw off noticing is Mims did have a bunch of catches - about half of them - where body catching wasn't even an option. Passes were too high for that, or too low or too much in front of him. We just weren't harping on it last year because they weren't getting dropped, and frankly we were happy enough to see a rookie with playmaking skills catching passes however they happened.

Someone was nice enough to post this compilation on youtube:

• Pass #1 = in theory could have body-caught if he'd jumped up for no reason, but didn't. However there was no one within 10 yards of him so he knew he wasn't about to get hit hard anyway.
  • Pass #2 = caught above his head. Body catching wasn't an option.
  • Pass #3 = body catch
  • Pass #4 = hard to tell, even slowing down the footage, but it looks like his hands were initially in front of his body and he's just bringing it in to his chest in one motion. Give him this one has a hands-catch.
  • Pass #5 = great catch. Body catching wasn't an option.
  • Pass #6 = full arm extension catch. Body catching wasn't an option
  • Pass #7 = Jumped up to facilitate an unnecessary body catch. Maybe is able to turn and get a couple additional yards if he catches it with his hands instead of leaving his feet. Would've helped if Flacco hit him in stride, but he had more room to keep running in.
  • Pass #8 = Flacco's pass was at his knees. Body catching wasn't an option.
  • Pass #9 = Whether he pushed off or not, it was a terrific catch. Body catching again wasn't an option.
  • Pass #10 = (DPI; no catch)
  • Pass #11 = Another body catch
  • Pass #12 = Even after leaving his feet, the ball is still caught at the top of his helmet: body catching wasn't an option.
  • Pass #13 = Same type of pass/catch again. Body catching wasn't an option.
  • Pass #14 = Full arm extension required to catch it. Body catching wasn't an option.
  • Pass #15 = Left his feet to body catch it again
  • Pass #16 = Pass hit him in stride, another body catch
  • Pass #17 = Another body catch
  • Pass #18 = Another body catch (2-pt attempt)
  • Pass #19 = Another body catch

So the compilation's got 18 receptions, including a 2-pt conversion "TD" catch. He had 6 other receptions but I'm not chasing those down just to further a point already made here.

• 8 of 18 were passes where body-catching wasn't an option even if he wanted to (so he can catch).
  • That leaves 10 left where body catching was possible.
  • 8 of those 10 were pure body-catches

So he was clearly doing this last year, too, at a ridiculous rate of 80%. It certainly didn't just start because the coaches were mean to him this summer. He's got a clear body catching instinct, even unnecessarily jumping up at times to facilitate catching it like that. 

Johnny Lam Jones. He did the same thing.

• Upvote 1

if mims is as bad as catching passes as this indicates then maybe people ought to calm down about him riding the bench.  and if he doesn't get it straightened out then he can expect to be back on the pine when davis returns.  he's got the size and the speed but maybe not the great hands.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

if mims is as bad as catching passes as this indicates then maybe people ought to calm down about him riding the bench.  and if he doesn't get it straightened out then he can expect to be back on the pine when davis returns.  he's got the size and the speed but maybe not the great hands.

Actually what's more disturbing is I don't even think his hands are bad. He's just - at least somewhat - reluctant to use them if he doesn't have to do so. But on some of those contested catches his hands looked plenty good. I don't recall how many drops he had (which is really more what having "not great hands" is) but I don't recall it being a lot.

Those receiver mitts they wear are like ultra sticky/tacky rubber, if you've never felt them, to the point you almost wonder how anyone with NFL talent could ever drop a pass. He'll catch it more reliably with those sticky fingers (hey now!) and palms than he will by trapping it into his jersey. Even more so by denying an extra foot or two reach for a defender to get his own hand in there to deflect it: no DBs are going to have his reach, let alone when Mims has the inside track to the ball.

I don't know what it is. Maybe it's a reaction - like a clenching up - when someone thinks he's about to get hit. Maybe it's that he just doesn't want to jam his fingers. Maybe it's cold outside (he missed the warm half of the season) and when someone rifles it in it's like catching a football-shaped rock. Whatever the reason, he needs to stop it. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm more concerned about his lack of burst off the line.   Tough to beat NFL corners if your first 2-3 steps are slow...

Agreed.   Plus, all we've heard since Mims was drafted was how he would out muscle and jump corners.   Where is that guy?   It can't all be on the QB.

• Upvote 3

As you mentioned above - it's odd, because his hands are actually *good*.  Normally, players body catch because they don't trust their hands.  (See Stephen Hill.)

Given that he has good hands (and has made some great contested catches), you would think that this could be coached out of him...

• Upvote 1

All great points on Mims, and the thing that expands on that further, driving the point home a bit more is that there are a lot of uncaught targets on top of that.  Last year he had one of the lowest catch rates on the team (just 1 catch over 50%) and this year is now coming in dead last (exactly 50%).

While catch rate may not be entirely on the WR, it is very meaningful when looked at on a relative scale, and if everyone else is doing better, then there's really no question that he's the problem on a number of those plays.  Of course, we have all seen that before us with 3 drops on 8 targets in the past 2 games as a starter.

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Can you debunk it?  Not trying to be a d*ck here, you know I’m in the pro-Mims camp.  Just wondering where Sperm is wrong in this analysis. 

Yea it’s called film. Sperm should get out his head for a bit. There’s not one fcking way to win at ANY position in the NFL. 

this site has become virtually unreadable, littered with a bunch know it alls who don’t sh*t about shi*t but every week they’re threading about how it’s this way or that way. And its all happening in 2 week vacuums. Moore sucks. Then he’s amazing. (Insert other name x1000)

Mims can play… will it come together here or elsewhere? Who fcking knows. Everyone needs to shut up about everything and let the season play out. 

this thread is trash. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1