The Elephant in the Room

47 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

What part of anything I said says I am happy watching a terrible product or I don't want to be excited.  Quote it. 

But before Mike White went all Montana on us--he was an awful third or 4th string QB in this league--barely could hold off James Morgan and couldn't replace the worst QB in the league Sam Darnold.

I love the kid but he is NOT part of the future.

Josh Johnson also looked good and gave us some entertainment.  I never want to see him on the field again because I am looking to the future.

It's either Zach or we start over again.

The way you are all over me for wanting to see MW play instead of Zack, it sure as Hell sounds like you would rather watch bad football.

There is no reason for Zack to play again this season. I have seen enough of him this season. He was ranked 32 I believe before he was injured. In less than 2 games MW has thrown for 500 yards and 4 TD's. That is nearly half the yards and same amount of TD's Zack has in 5 games. It isn't  his time

51 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I think we’re on the same page here with this.

If he’s healthy though, I think we have to play him. 9 weeks in, he’s got to be out there *IF* he’s healthy. You can’t hide the #2 pick in the draft until next season.

a. You push the “learning clock” back another year

b. We’d be assuming he’ll learn more by watching than playing, which is a take I don’t agree with

I absolutely want him to play as soon as possible.  He needs to play every single game for the rest of the year.

EXCEPT the Bills. And I'm just a fan, I'm sure Zach wants to play but as a FAN, I'm afraid of the Bills defense, espectially if they get up early and just tee-off on the QB with blitzing and pinned back ear pass rush.

It's my fear, not his.  Give him another week but after that he plays EVERY game regardless (or irregardless) of how he plays.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The way you are all over me for wanting to see MW play instead of Zack, it sure as Hell sounds like you would rather watch bad football.

There is no reason for Zack to play again this season. I have seen enough of him this season. He was ranked 32 I believe before he was injured. In less than 2 games MW has thrown for 500 yards and 4 TD's. That is nearly half the yards and same amount of TD's Zack has in 5 games. It isn't  his time

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

When someone says they've "seen enough of him" after less than 6 full games for a raw rookie speaks to someone's narratvive, not to what's best for the future of the franchise.

I want Zach to take the lumps and learn from it because it will prepare him better for next year and beyond.  

But you keep rooting to see White and Johnson and Flacco so we win a useless game or 3 because it "entertains" you.

Like I said, failure to communicate.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Miami fans said this about Tua and now his career is over. Develop Wilson in practice 

Thats miami’s problem. Has no bearing jets or Wilson. Wilson needs reps no point in wasting them on a QB who isnt the future.  Just so jets fans can be happy about close losses instead being blown out .  

1 hour ago, rtnelson said:

You mean QB's that go to better teams generally develop better and have better careers?

If Sam Darnold was drafted by the 49'ers, sat for a year behind Jimmy G or whatever, there is a decent chance he could have developed in to a quality NFL QB.  But he spent years running for his life behind a terrible OL which has made him jittery like an abused puppy.

That’s absolutely a part of why I think guys who go a little later in the draft do better. No quarterback prospect is perfect and the flaws are more pronounced in guys who get drafted later.

I think the guys who can transcend situation are really, really rare and if they’re available, they go first. If you can’t get one of those guys I think it’s really important to make sure the situation is good before you just draft a guy.

Otherwise you’re asking someone to play the hardest position in sports without much talent around them to help them out, and I think that’s how guys get ruined.

37 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

When someone says they've "seen enough of him" after less than 6 full games for a raw rookie speaks to someone's narratvive, not to what's best for the future of the franchise.

I want Zach to take the lumps and learn from it because it will prepare him better for next year and beyond.  

But you keep rooting to see White and Johnson and Flacco so we win a useless game or 3 because it "entertains" you.

Like I said, failure to communicate.

So which is it, do you want to watch bad football hoping all the loses, hits, sacks, and picks don't effect negatively on Zack or would you rather watch good football, have Zack absorb this and then duplicate it when his time comes. Seems pretty clear to me which is the right choice and what would benefit the team.

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

So which is it, do you want to watch bad football hoping all the loses, hits, sacks, and picks don't effect negatively on Zack or would you rather watch good football, have Zack absorb this and then duplicate it when his time comes. Seems pretty clear to me which is the right choice and what would benefit the team.

Wow. Nice take on a miss-take. Yeah, let’s see our backups entertain us. 

Lol. 

We get it. You hate Zach. Which is fine, you just don’t want to outwardly admit it. 

You want to see entertaining football. That doesn’t advance the franchise. 

Done with this silliness. Take the last word. Please. Go ahead.  You win the internet today. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Wow. Nice take on a miss-take. Yeah, let’s see our backups entertain us. 

Lol. 

We get it. You hate Zach. Which is fine, you just don’t want to outwardly admit it. 

You want to see entertaining football. That doesn’t advance the franchise. 

Done with this silliness. Take the last word. Please. Go ahead.  You win the internet today. 

Was waiting for you to play the I hate Zack card. Welcome to the I want to see Zack play club at any cost to the team. Nico is president but there might be a secretary position open somewhere for you. 

4 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Well Fid, There seem to be quite a few unrealized geniuses on the boards with us here.

The Office Reaction GIF

The people with the strongest opinions seem to have the least amount of brains cells.

Hot takes like the book is closed on Wilson and Mike White being FQB material are coming out of the same mouth looking to cut White last month. How they have made it this far with out drowning in the rain eludes me.

A lot of our fellow "fans" are less bearable than this nightmare of a team we follow and deserve every bit of misery  this team dishes their way.

Lol, having Mike White as the backup was grounds for firing him for a different reason before the Bengals game than it is now. Either way, they were right. Right?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

No need to be snarky Capt. Obvious. 

The Colts didn't  go into prevent until the second half. MW beat that defense  for a long TD  drive in the first qrt. Do you want to explain that one?

And if the Bengals were giving the short pass, why shouldn't  the QB be taking it. I don't  think that was soft, I think it was the defensive game plan because Zack consistently  looks to go deep. I am not sure the Bengals ever changed that because the score was close and they didn't  want to let the Jets score quickly. 

So now instead of basing the future QB of the Jets on a few games, we are going to use one drive by White?  Okay.

7 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Instead of being Mary Contrary all the time, read the room… are you trying to tell me most of the people here are saying they want Zach to start next week?

(then read what I actually said, which was “a lot of Jet fans”) you’re always in such a hurry to disagree you don’t even bother reading what you want to disagree with.

No, I’m saying the same group of complainers on JN are not the spokespeople for every day Jets fans outside of here, away from what the doomsayers think.  And those who understand that starters rarely lose their jobs to injury.  ZW is the starting QB, not MW

You hardly speak for jets fans, has nothing to do with being contrary just to be contrary. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

No, I’m saying the same group of complainers on JN are not the spokespeople for every day Jets fans outside of here, away from what the doomsayers think.  And those who understand that starters rarely lose their jobs to injury.  ZW is the starting QB, not MW

You hardly speak for jets fans, has nothing to do with being contrary just to be contrary. 

See, this is why you’re the resident Mary Contrary here. 90% of your posts are you either disagreeing, arguing, or nit picking something someone else said.

You do it so often, maybe you can’t keep up with who you’re replying to? I don’t know. ?‍♂️
If it helps, I can tell you I’ve never claimed to speak for Jet fans. Ever.
What’s funny though, is that’s exactly what you’re doing in your post here.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

See, this is why you’re the resident Mary Contrary here. 90% of your posts are you either disagreeing, arguing, or nit picking something someone else said.

You do it so often, maybe you can’t keep up with who you’re replying to? I don’t know. ?‍♂️
If it helps, I can tell you I’ve never claimed to speak for Jet fans. Ever.
What’s funny though, is that’s exactly what you’re doing in your post here.

He accuses me of claiming to speak for all Jets fans, also. It's his go to when he gets stumped. Like a drunk switching to auto pilot to get home when the higher brain functions shut down.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Yep and one guy is a 7 week rookie ... the other guy is a 3 year backup.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

This is the thing with that argument. It doesn't  have to be like that. There are people on this board that believe if we don't  play Zack, he will not develop. That if he doesn't  take his lumps as one poster told me, he won't  be good. I have seen what happens to QB's who get thrown out there in a bad situation where they are not doing what they need to. IMO, the Jets did irreparable damage to Darnold. Getting your teeth kicked in every time you drop back is going to take a toll. We are doing this to Zack. He was hit on consecutive plays in NE and was injured. I think right now the best thing for Zack is to sit and watch. Why so many want to throw him out there as soon as he is cleared to me makes no sense at all. We can play White or Johnson the rest of the season and let Zack start next year. If he still sucks next year, then we have a problem but I think he might be able to absorb good traits by watching for a few weeks. 

9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Yep and one guy is a 7 week rookie ... the other guy is a 3 year backup.

Calling White a 3 year backup is a bit of a stretch, no? He’s been a PS guy, and one who we cut 4 times last year.

Watching him outplay the #2 pick in the draft, and the fact that we’re having these discussions about why White may be the better QB is damning.

Be honest, if the Jags or Pats had their equivalent of White outplaying Trevor or Jones, wouldn’t we be laughing our a**es of at them for busting with their pick?

It’s happening to the Jets though, so we’re doing the “it’s too early” or “he just needs to sit and learn” things.

55 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This is the thing with that argument. It doesn't  have to be like that. There are people on this board that believe if we don't  play Zack, he will not develop. That if he doesn't  take his lumps as one poster told me, he won't  be good. I have seen what happens to QB's who get thrown out there in a bad situation where they are not doing what they need to. IMO, the Jets did irreparable damage to Darnold. Getting your teeth kicked in every time you drop back is going to take a toll. We are doing this to Zack. He was hit on consecutive plays in NE and was injured. I think right now the best thing for Zack is to sit and watch. Why so many want to throw him out there as soon as he is cleared to me makes no sense at all. We can play White or Johnson the rest of the season and let Zack start next year. If he still sucks next year, then we have a problem but I think he might be able to absorb good traits by watching for a few weeks. 

I think the Jets must be really disappointed with what they’ve seen from Wilson so far. They would never come out and say it, but the kid looks lost out there, mechanically and mentally. That’s not what you want from the #2 pick in the draft.
As for the fans? We’re halfway through his rookie season, and the best case scenarios being put forth by us are “let’s sit him against a good defense like the Bills so he doesn’t get booed” or “let’s sit him until next year and hope he learns stuff.”

On 11/6/2021 at 10:03 AM, HawkeyeJet said:

Yep, 4 WR sets have been huge.  Let your fast receivers play fast.   Opens up Carter between the tackles too.  They really wanted to be the Niners offense.  But they don’t have the TEs.

or the fullbacks... or the creativity in the run game that Mike McDaniels creates.  

Thats the difference.. The combination of LaFluers proclivity in the pass game and McDaniels creativity in the run game was a great one two punch for San Fran, combine that with a coach with a great feel for the game and play calling in Shanny and you have a very successful offense.  

It was a feeling out process for LaFluer here, in preseason, the offense worked fine and the play action was good, zach was making quick decisive reads. Everything looked good.  Regular season not so much, it takes time to figure out what works with your team and what doesnt.  I can speak to this from experience.  Came to a new school whose OC had only been here for 1 year prior to me joining the staff,  we combined offenses to create a new plan,  the first year was mixed results, took a while to figure out what the kids were really good at and to get everyone on the same page. Since then its been golden, I know everyone is rightfully impatient, but sometimes these things take time to flesh themselves out. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I think the Jets must be really disappointed with what they’ve seen from Wilson so far. They would never come out and say it, but the kid looks lost out there, mechanically and mentally. That’s not what you want from the #2 pick in the draft.
As for the fans? We’re halfway through his rookie season, and the best case scenarios being put forth by us are “let’s sit him against a good defense like the Bills so he doesn’t get booed” or “let’s sit him until next year and hope he learns stuff.”

Unless Zack comes pit and starts engineering  long drives and TD's, his position will be unmanageable.  The fans will start to boo and chant White. It costs a lot of money to go to a Jets game. I took my daughters to see the Pats game and it cost me $350 just for tickets in the third tier. Nobody want to pay that kind of money to watch a QB finding his way and management knows it

I want to see the best QB play and win for the Jets. If Mike comes back and continues what he’s shown on the field thus far, I hope he ends up being our 10 year FQB. OTOH, while I was fiercely against drafting Zach, if White comes back and reverts back to being a 3rd stringer while Zach takes the opportunity and runs with it, that would be fantastic.

Either way, over the last few weeks, at least the general public is seeing what some of us have quietly been saying all year - that the OC is one we should hope we have for a long time. The concepts, playcalling, and ability to put each player on offense in position to “win” every play is there. The players need to execute.

Some might point to the ‘field vs booth’ difference, but even with Zach, the ‘tape’ shows that the playcalls and concepts were fine but the execution failed. The hope is that whoever ends up playing QB can win on the execution. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Unless Zack comes pit and starts engineering  long drives and TD's, his position will be unmanageable.  The fans will start to boo and chant White. It costs a lot of money to go to a Jets game. I took my daughters to see the Pats game and it cost me $350 just for tickets in the third tier. Nobody want to pay that kind of money to watch a QB finding his way and management knows it

I understand your frustration, but you have to realize it’s of no importance to anyone but you. I don’t think Jets management is worried about your (or my) opinion of how they should develop their rookie QB, and they’re fully aware of what they charge you.

I’m not trying to be a jerk here, but nobody puts a gun to your head and forces you to spend that $350 to go to a game. It’s a choice you make, and let’s be honest here… you knew full well going into this season you weren’t going to see a winning football team, and that a rookie QB would most likely struggle.

I had 4 season tickets for over 25 years. I gave them up when I moved down to the Carolinas 10 years ago. I thought of them as a luxury purchase, discretionary income being used for my entertainment.
It’s your right to bitch about the team and it’s direction, you’re a fan. You’re not a GM though, you don’t get to decide who plays, and they don’t care about your opinion on that.

If you’re not happy with the product or the cost you’re paying for it, give them up. Trust me, you’ll survive, and so will they.

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I understand your frustration, but you have to realize it’s of no importance to anyone but you. I don’t think Jets management is worried about your (or my) opinion of how they should develop their rookie QB, and they’re fully aware of what they charge you.

I’m not trying to be a jerk here, but nobody puts a gun to your head and forces you to spend that $350 to go to a game. It’s a choice you make, and let’s be honest here… you knew full well going into this season you weren’t going to see a winning football team, and that a rookie QB would most likely struggle.

I had 4 season tickets for over 25 years. I gave them up when I moved down to the Carolinas 10 years ago. I thought of them as a luxury purchase, discretionary income being used for my entertainment.
It’s your right to bitch about the team and it’s direction, you’re a fan. You’re not a GM though, you don’t get to decide who plays, and they don’t care about your opinion on that.

If you’re not happy with the product for the cost you pay, give them up. Trust me, you’ll survive, and so will they.

I think you are missing the point. What I was saying is an entire stadium full of fans will turn on Zack if they are made to watch the same bad football he was playing before he was injured. He was ranked 32 of 33 QB's. Only Fields was lower. After seeing what White accomplished, nobody is going to accept anything less. My paying 350 for tickets was an example of a typical  fans day with his kids and the least relevant thing I said to the point I was trying to make but thanks for thinking about me. 

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Calling White a 3 year backup is a bit of a stretch, no? He’s been a PS guy, and one who we cut 4 times last year.

Watching him outplay the #2 pick in the draft, and the fact that we’re having these discussions about why White may be the better QB is damning.

Be honest, if the Jags or Pats had their equivalent of White outplaying Trevor or Jones, wouldn’t we be laughing our a**es of at them for busting with their pick?

It’s happening to the Jets though, so we’re doing the “it’s too early” or “he just needs to sit and learn” things.

C. J. Beathard would be massively outplaying Lawrence if they started him.  It's not even a question.   Lawrence has been flat out awful.  Andy Dalton is massively outplaying Fields.  I would still be very happy to have Lawrence as my QB.  

Who's having a conversation that White is better than Wilson?  White right now can run the O.  I just watched the Bengals give up 153 rushing yards and 41 points to Cleveland at home.  There D was bitch slapped at their home field.   The Colts D made Johnson look like an all pro. 

It's possible without tape a disinterested and not very good Bengals team didn't prepare for Mike White.  It's also possible that our OL and O skill position players are better today than they were a few weeks ago.  

White might turn out to be a good NFL starting QB.  Why should I be concerned?  He's young, he's got size and a decent arm.  He's getting a shot and he might be real good.  Chances are when teams start game planning for him and have actual tape he'll revert to a mean that's something between backup and PS.  

I would bet if Buffalo trotted out Trubisky yesterday they win by 2 or 3 TD's.   Doesn't mean he's better than Allen.  

White seems to have a grasp of the O that Wilson doesn't have yet.  He seems to be relaxed and processing.  The O is functioning better with him right now.  That can change rapidly in the NFL.  The entire league is based on adjustments and with White it's just starting.  I hope he is the starter for the next 10 years.  It would be great if he's a franchise NFL QB that we happened to luck into.  That's highly unlikely.  

At this point nothing is daming of Zach.  He was thrown into the fire by a young staff and he got hurt.  Not badly but hurt.  Now by luck the O gets to develop with a more experienced QB while Zach gets to regroup.  It might work out great for Zach?

• Sympathy 1

C. J. Beathard would be massively outplaying Lawrence if they started him.  It's not even a question.   Lawrence has been flat out awful.  Andy Dalton is massively outplaying Fields.  I would still be very happy to have Lawrence as my QB.  
Who's having a conversation that White is better than Wilson?  White right now can run the O.  I just watched the Bengals give up 153 rushing yards and 41 points to Cleveland at home.  There D was bitch slapped at their home field.   The Colts D made Johnson look like an all pro. 
It's possible without tape a disinterested and not very good Bengals team didn't prepare for Mike White.  It's also possible that our OL and O skill position players are better today than they were a few weeks ago.  
White might turn out to be a good NFL starting QB.  Why should I be concerned?  He's young, he's got size and a decent arm.  He's getting a shot and he might be real good.  Chances are when teams start game planning for him and have actual tape he'll revert to a mean that's something between backup and PS.  
I would bet if Buffalo trotted out Trubisky yesterday they win by 2 or 3 TD's.   Doesn't mean he's better than Allen.  
White seems to have a grasp of the O that Wilson doesn't have yet.  He seems to be relaxed and processing.  The O is functioning better with him right now.  That can change rapidly in the NFL.  The entire league is based on adjustments and with White it's just starting.  I hope he is the starter for the next 10 years.  It would be great if he's a franchise NFL QB that we happened to luck into.  That's highly unlikely.  
At this point nothing is daming of Zach.  He was thrown into the fire by a young staff and he got hurt.  Not badly but hurt.  Now by luck the O gets to develop with a more experienced QB while Zach gets to regroup.  It might work out great for Zach?

He got hurt because he has no clue what he’s doing. He’s missing wife open receivers all over the field and has no idea how to read or react to an NFL defense. And it’s laughable to compare CJ Beathard or Andy Dalton to Mike White. Mike White is in his 2nd year, spent more time bouncing off and on the roster than he had getting any kind of meaningful training, and came in and completely outplayed Zach Wilson in every facet of the position.

Serious question- What exactly is so special about Wilson? Size-nope, QB intelligence-nope, speed-nope, accuracy-nope, arm strength-sure he a very good arm, it’s not legendary and certainly not the best in the league. So seriously, enlighten me about what makes Zach Wilson a special prospect? Is it that he can throw sidearm sometimes, because I apologize that just doesn’t get me very excited given the absence of being good at any other facet of the position.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

13 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

He got hurt because he has no clue what he’s doing. He’s missing wife open receivers all over the field and has no idea how to read or react to an NFL defense. And it’s laughable to compare CJ Beathard or Andy Dalton to Mike White. Mike White is in his 2nd year, spent more time bouncing off and on the roster than he had getting any kind of meaningful training, and came in and completely outplayed Zach Wilson in every facet of the position.

Serious question- What exactly is so special about Wilson? Size-nope, QB intelligence-nope, speed-nope, accuracy-nope, arm strength-sure he a very good arm, it’s not legendary and certainly not the best in the league. So seriously, enlighten me about what makes Zach Wilson a special prospect? Is it that he can throw sidearm sometimes, because I apologize that just doesn’t get me very excited given the absence of being good at any other facet of the position.

There is a contingent of posters here that feel the Jets are doing Zack a disservice by having him sit and watch. I mean look at how badly that turned out for Mahomes and Rogers. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

i dont think its anything special as it is to make sure we get it right.  the offense has change. we never started with 7-8 straight passes under Zach. plus he might have learned something.

this year isnt about wins, its about developing our QB and younger players. so lets do that. 

i dont care if our FQB is White or Wilson but we need to be sure. we have 7 games left let White start 4 and Wilson start 3. no matter what.

if they both play well we just upped the trade value for Wilson if we want to go that way. cause right now your not getting much.

but if White outplays Wilson then we have to give White a big contract. thats all depends on how high another team wants to pay him. and who knows if he willing to stay here knowing Wilson is still here and could challenge him. he might want to go to a team like Carolina where there done with Sam and have no backups that are a threat to him if he struggles.

what if White plays well and we give him that big contract and next year he goes backwards. to the guy who was on the PS for 2 years. now where married to him with a big contract. and if he plays well there will be a market for him. were not signing him back here on the cheap.

there is a lot to consider here then to just play this guy or play that guy. they have to get this right and this is the perfect year. we need to see more of White and more of Zach regardless as to who is the hot hand 

Id be ok with that. Totally ok with him sitting till next year. Its about development.

Lets see .. so since you are wrong on nearly every point of your analysis here ... i choose to move on before exhaustion sets in.

41 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

He has great intelligence, great foot speed, highly accurate, well above average arm stregth, A plus release.  This kid was a top 10 to 2 pick on every NFL draft board.  

None of that means he won't struggle or outright suck as an NFL QB. 

Serious question.  Are you serious or trolling?

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I think you are missing the point. What I was saying is an entire stadium full of fans will turn on Zack if they are made to watch the same bad football he was playing before he was injured. He was ranked 32 of 33 QB's. Only Fields was lower. After seeing what White accomplished, nobody is going to accept anything less. My paying 350 for tickets was an example of a typical  fans day with his kids and the least relevant thing I said to the point I was trying to make but thanks for thinking about me. 

Okay, my bad. When I read your post that $350 actually seemed like a very relevant part of the point you were making, but apparently it wasn’t?

As far as thanking me for thinking about you? No need, that’s just the type of person I am… ?