Halfway point mega-poll

T0mShane

Halfway point mega-poll  

188 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Robert Saleh eight games in?

2. 2. What grade would you give GM Joe Douglas?

3. 3. If you could go back in time, would you still draft Zach Wilson at #2?

• Yes, I would do it again
    • No, I would go in a different direction
  4. 4. Most disappointing Jets player this season (other than Denzel Mims)?

5. 5. Who is the Jets’ first half MVP?

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I disagree. He has made few in game changes. They got gashed time and time again by the same plays over and over against New England and the same thing happened against the Colts. Run over every play and no changes in the coverage. Horrible coach. 

Last I looked Jeff Ulbrich coaches the defense and makes the defensive calls...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

MVP was a tough one. Quincy Williams has sneakily had a good year as far as the eye test, as well as Michael Carter at RB. Bryce Hall is going to stick around a while. Echolls has also popped up from time to time.

I gave Saleh a C cuz he's dealing with rookies and he is one himself. I mean across the board he has some really young coaches and players to deal with. Funny that I was saying what a different market this is 2 years ago and was laughed off and now all of the talking heads are repeating me. I'll take that as a compliment fellas.

You are what your record says you are, but I think that's a little unfair for a rookie HC with a rookie QB and a rookie OC in their first season. Surrounded by a rookie RB rookie WRs, CBs, O'line, etc.

I gave Joe Douglas a B. 

In my opinion there's two ways to look at this you can go by the W/L record in which case we suck, and I have described why in the above text. But in reality it's a really hard job and it rarely happens overnight. I think he's been frugal, he's loaded up on draft picks, yes he's had a few misses with the draft and FA, but I really do see a lot of young high character athletic talent on this team to work with. I think we'll be there contending by next year.

How many times have many of us been working on some project around the house and you ask the wife or the kids to come out and take a look cuz you're proud of your vision and they have no idea what they're looking at!? You don't understand honey I just gave us another x amount of square footage in the bathroom or the garage. Or maybe that project jalopy in the backyard you've been working on for 3 years that still doesn't start. You've been out there every Saturday for how long, they have no idea what this is going to be when you're done.

I think we got some names on this team that are going to be making some noise over the next few years. We just ain't there yet man it's still so new.

Just for s**** and giggles did you know that Paul McCartney had to teach John Lennon how to tune a guitar? Lennon only knew banjo chords that his mother taught him. They we're actually laughed at and turned down through their first few sets of demos. George Harrison couldn't write his own music and they got a session drummer in to replace Ringo. Yeah so how did it work out for the Beatles!?

David Lee Roth was turned down as the lead singer of Mammoth four times but because his old man was a Doctor and had money he owned a good PA system that he used to rent to the brothers VH.

He kept coming back and they eventually accepted him in the band, and he was the one who suggested the name Van Halen.

How did it work out for them!? I know these are silly and reaching analogies, but give it a little time, and have a little hope and faith, I think Douglas has a vision and I think he's got some good guys on his side, and he's piecing it all together.

spock 2021.gif

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Come on.

It was rex's defense, it was bowles defense and it was gases offense.  This is Salehs defense.

That may be the case, but in the games I have watched, I've never seen Saleh show any attempt to talk with players on either offense or defense about specific plays or assignments.  I really think he is trying to be a CEO type coach and is letting Ulbrich and LaFleur run their respective sides of the ball...

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Lith said:

Most disappointing, I said Quinnen.  We needed the DL to carry this defense, and QW was supposed to emerge as a star and anchor the line in year 3.  It hasn't happened.

Re-draft Zach.  I said no.  Two reasons.  I would not have drafted him in the first place.  Yes, I was a Fields guy.  But with the benefit of hindsight, I think we should have traded back & upgraded the roster.  The offense is coming along, but its hard to develop a young QB and the rest of a young offense at the same time.

MVP - Bryce Hall.  One birght spot in an otherwise really bad defense.

Quinnen is a tough one because I think this is what you get with any top tier DT not named Aaron Donald. A 40 tackle, 8-9 sack season amounts to a Pro Bowl IDL these days.

I was in the draft Fields camp but before the draft Wilson’s demeanor, work ethic , arm talent, and the way he appeared to process information changed my mind. Would have like to see him sit for some time but you know, JETS. He has handled the NY Media exceptionally well, now he has to handle his business on the field. Start Mike White vs Buffalo.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Scarier is that Zack got 0 votes for best player/MVP.   Shows you that not even the most bought and sold, delusional, homers don't believe in the kid.

It’s the delusion of what he will hopefully become if we don’t **** him up. I mean even if it wasn’t ZW, I would still be rooting for the guy we drafted to succeed not fail.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Scarier is that Zack got 0 votes for best player/MVP.   Shows you that not even the most bought and sold, delusional, homers don't believe in the kid.

I'm not sure that just because people don't vote for him as MVP at this point means they don't believe in him. You can believe in a guy but also think he hasn't really shown what he's capable of yet.

No idea how good of a QB he will become (FQB, good starter, another Darnold, a bust, etc.) but I do think his best days are ahead of him.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

To be honest I’m at the point where I keep up with the Jets by default because of the time I spend surfing the forum. I read zero news about the team and if I’m not doing anything else on gameday I’ll watch but if I have anything better to do with my time I won’t. This regime was the last hurrah for me so on one hand it’s quite liberating but on the other it’s depressing. Over 30 years rooting for them and the Johnsons have made them a pointless franchise to waste time on.

This, except 45 years or so. 

This year was about developing the young players. We are seeing young guys step up on both sides. I gave the HC and GM a B. Zach Wilson is the main reason it’s not higher. He’s pretty much the only young player that’s not developing. It’s extremely disappointing. I would still draft him but he’s been a bad QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

39 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm not sure that just because people don't vote for him as MVP at this point means they don't believe in him. You can believe in a guy but also think he hasn't really shown what he's capable of yet.

No idea how good of a QB he will become (FQB, good starter, another Darnold, a bust, etc.) but I do think his best days are ahead of him.

I should have phrased it better.   Better wording would be "don't believe in the kid has done much right now, but still hold out hope".

• Upvote 1

Who can resist a mega poll?

Jamie Foxx Shrug GIF

Saleh gets a C to this point. You can now see some potential on both sides of the ball. True, the D has now gone flat to putrid while the offense is now finally showing signs of life even with backups at QB. By the end of this year I think we'll see Saleh as a solid B which is great for a Jets HC. I might have given him a B if not for the blow outs, and the offense being absolutely putrid to start the year. I understand the pressure to start Zach, but if the results were this obvious during camp, as some have mentioned, then they should have rolled with White to begin the year. "But what about a QB controversy?" What about one? It's a great problem to have as it means you have two or more QBs playing at a good level which at least will drum up trade interest/value.

JD is a B. "He's been here three years" Yes, but he's only had two drafts and FA periods though the first one was severely hamstrung by covid. Go ahead call it an excuse that during his first draft as GM there were a lot of restrictions for meeting and examining players, and a patch work college game schedule this year with some restrictions for scouting. Unlike previous GMs who drafted D high and heavily, for which we have little to nothing to show for it, JD has drafted OL and WR in the first two rounds. The picks may not pan out, not every pick does, but at least he hasn't drafted safeties in rounds one and two back to back with a glaring need at QB and multiple QBs sitting on the board. He has made some pretty questionable picks no doubt, but he's also generated extra picks with trades. Most people were excited at the Saleh hire, as opposed to the Gase bash-a-thon that followed his hiring. The problem most people seem to have with JD is that he hasn't turned around the Jets in the first couple years of his tenure which to be fair most people would agree is not an easy task, or drafted a player they wanted. I'll start to take issue with JD if he drafts another physical monster without considering the history of oversized guys and injuries, or if he continues to consistently waste mid round picks on long shot projects, and doesn't show growth and success elsewhere. 

ZW, I'd probably still draft a QB for sure. I'll say yes, and chalk up his early issues to coaching, and mismanagement (I know what you're thinking "No, not the Jets"). If Zach's issue is that he isn't taking what is there, and is trying to do too much... that is easy to coach and fix provided he is a willing student. Mike White looks good, I hope he works out for multiple reasons, but I don't alter my plans with the #2 pick based on one game, and a TD drive the next game before White also gets injured.

Most disappointing player- MB - Starting to get worried he'll consistently be injured, also that the line seemed to play better when he wasn't at LT. Maybe he's the dominate RG we need still.

MVP - White - His play brought life to the team. In all honesty it isn't really fair as other guys did their job the whole season, but White's play if only for a game changed the entire outlook for the Jets offense, and in turn the team as a whole. All of a sudden the OC isn't the whipping boy of emotional reactionaries who turn on a dime as they do regularly, and eventually will on White too. Now Lafleur runs an offense that any competent QB can run up numbers with, or at least that's the current word on the board. So yeah, White current MVP.   

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Quinnen is a tough one because I think this is what you get with any top tier DT not named Aaron Donald. A 40 tackle, 8-9 sack season amounts to a Pro Bowl IDL these days.

this could be true. 

question is will he want Leo type contract around 63 mil? we might have to trade him then. im dont think we should pay that much for 8-9 sacks a year

7 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

JD is a B. "He's been here three years" Yes, but he's only had two drafts and FA periods though the first one was severely hamstrung by covid. Go ahead call it an excuse that during his first draft as GM there were a lot of restrictions for meeting and examining players, and a patch work college game schedule this year with some restrictions for scouting. Unlike previous GMs who drafted D high and heavily, for which we have little to nothing to show for it, JD has drafted OL and WR in the first two rounds. The picks may not pan out, not every pick does, but at least he hasn't drafted safeties in rounds one and two back to back with a glaring need at QB and multiple QBs sitting on the board. He has made some pretty questionable picks no doubt, but he's also generated extra picks with trades. Most people were excited at the Saleh hire, as opposed to the Gase bash-a-thon that followed his hiring. The problem most people seem to have with JD is that he hasn't turned around the Jets in the first couple years of his tenure which to be fair most people would agree is not an easy task, or drafted a player they wanted. I'll start to take issue with JD is he drafts another physical monster without considering the history of oversized guys and injuries, or if he continues to consistently waste mid round picks on long shot projects, and doesn't show growth and success elsewhere. 

this right here is why i back JD. we need defense next year and i can pretty much guarantee you he wont be picking a safety in the 1st rd. maybe even rd 2.  

people forget the covid restrictions. no combine, no physicals. they had to get medicals from the colleges. yeah every GM had to go thru the same thing, but all GMs have there own way to scout talent.

could it be coincidence that the whole 2020 draft got injured and (knocks on wood) 2021 are all playing. did he forget how to find talent in 2020 and then remember in 2021? i doubt it.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I guess.  But 0 FFs, only 5 TFLs, 1 QB Hurry so far...still not good enough in a system that depends on pass rushers.  He clearly isn't getting enough penetration.  Giggity.

Better than Ed Oliver though so @Pac has that going for him.

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Because we all agreed that he played crappy, but he also has way more potential and has play a very small amount of games. Just because people don't think he was the best player on the field in the first 9 weeks doesn't mean that he is the worst, either.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I picked Quinnen because we went into the season knowing the secondary would be ridiculously young.  We had LBers still learning the position.  We were going to lean heavily ont he DL to be above average.  I am not saying QW is a bad player, nor am I saying he needs to be Aaron Donald, but I would have expected him to be in the tier below Donald.  Fketcher Cox, Calais Campbell, Kanney Clark, Cameron Heyward, but he is not close to these guys.  He is a solid DT.  But not what we needed him to be, nor is he what we drafted him to be. 

Just my two cents, for whatever that is worth.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

53 minutes ago, Lith said:

I picked Quinnen because we went into the season knowing the secondary would be ridiculously young.  We had LBers still learning the position.  We were going to lean heavily ont he DL to be above average.  I am not saying QW is a bad player, nor am I saying he needs to be Aaron Donald, but I would have expected him to be in the tier below Donald.  Fketcher Cox, Calais Campbell, Kanney Clark, Cameron Heyward, but he is not close to these guys.  He is a solid DT.  But not what we needed him to be, nor is he what we drafted him to be. 

Just my two cents, for whatever that is worth.

Agreed. I wasn’t a fan of the pick at all (surprise!), but only because what he is now is what I figured he’d be in the pros.  For me, he’s met expectations, low as they may be. It’s possible he’d be more productive is Carl Lawson was playing?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I guess.  But 0 FFs, only 5 TFLs, 1 QB Hurry so far...still not good enough in a system that depends on pass rushers.  He clearly isn't getting enough penetration.  Giggity.

Better than Ed Oliver though so @Pac has that going for him.

I thought we agreed to never allow @Pac off the mat? 

• Haha 1