Will the Jets release Flacco?

1010WINS

58 minutes ago, 1010WINS said:

Not sure if you can hide JJ on the practice squad after Thursday night. 

You can protect up to 4 guys each week.  I assume we would protect our 3rd QB, whether that is JJ or Flacco.  After the way JJ played last week, I think I keep him on the PS and release Flacco.  We already saw that Johnson can run this offense in an emergency.

Flacco trade was a very curious move at the time.  Even moreso nonw with the benefit of hindsight after seeing both Johnson and White run the offense.  Only thing i can think of is they feared Wilson's injury was worse at the time and they feared Luke Falk-level play from White or Johnson.  Even so, there was not reason to rush into the move.  The made it on the day after the Wilson injury.  Trade deadline was still a week away.  I can't imagine they would have lost him if they had waited a week.  HIndsight is 20/20, but there was no reason to give up the pick and make the move so quickly.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

You can protect up to 4 guys each week.  I assume we would protect our 3rd QB, whether that is JJ or Flacco.  After the way JJ played last week, I think I keep him on the PS and release Flacco.  We already saw that Johnson can run this offense in an emergency.

Flacco trade was a very curious move at the time.  Even moreso nonw with the benefit of hindsight after seeing both Johnson and White run the offense.  Only thing i can think of is they feared Wilson's injury was worse at the time and they feared Luke Falk-level play from White or Johnson.  Even so, there was not reason to rush into the move.  The made it on the day after the Wilson injury.  Trade deadline was still a week away.  I can't imagine they would have lost him if they had waited a week.  HIndsight is 20/20, but there was no reason to give up the pick and make the move so quickly.

Tend to agree here. You can argue having Flacco on the roster could be good for Wilson, but now that they hired Beck that argument is a wash. 

54 minutes ago, Hystorm said:

Question on this...

Why didnt he come in for the injured White?

Was that not why he was hired?

Answer:

He was in street clothes. Pretty sure you need to be in uniform to play. 

Why wasn't he the backup Thursday? Probably because Johnson was more prepared than Flacco.

Why did we trade for Flacco when we had White/Johnson and WIlson ready to return in 3 weeks? No one knows. But I would guess it was a panic move by the Jets after getting embarrassed against the Pats.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

He wasn’t ready 

It's like half these people  weren't actually  watching the game but have pretty strong opinions on things they didn't even take the time to observe.

He wasn't  active for the game ....he was on the sideline in sweats .... 

59 minutes ago, Lith said:

It was an unnecessary panic move by JD, plain and simple.   

• Upvote 4

Who cares if Josh Johnson signs with another team. I think the Jets can protect a certain amount of practice squad players anyway. 

If you want Flacco here as a "mentor" or whatever for ZW, then you have to send Josh back to the practice squad unless you are going to carry 4 QBs.

Johnson is a 35 year old journeyman QB. Who cares if he goes to another team at this point. He has no future here.

• Upvote 2

Jets wanted Flacco to be QB2 all along. He was not interested, thought he could start in Philly. Wilson at QB1 with Flacco at QB2 made a lot of sense until Mike White went off.

If Wilson needs another week and White plays well vs the Bills let it roll and let Flacco keep watching. They don't need the roster spot under current rules. If White regresses, Flacco makes much more sense as a backup, if he's willing to accept the role. There is no need to force the issue now. Nobody is going to "steal" Josh Johnson from the Jets.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Who cares if Josh Johnson signs with another team. I think the Jets can protect a certain amount of practice squad players anyway. 

If you want Flacco here as a "mentor" or whatever for ZW, then you have to send Josh back to the practice squad unless you are going to carry 4 QBs.

Johnson is a 35 year old journeyman QB. Who cares if he goes to another team at this point. He has no future here.

Who cares if Joe Flacco signs with another team? He’s not part of the future either. At this point I’d say JJ is probably a better fit given he’s had all off-season to work in this offense. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, 1010WINS said:

Who cares if Joe Flacco signs with another team? He’s not part of the future either. At this point I’d say JJ is probably a better fit given he’s had all off-season to work in this offense. 

It depends who the Jets value more. Flacco has more game experience obviously. JJ is coming off a good game and has been here all along like you said.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

After the way JJ played last week, I think I keep him on the PS and release Flacco.  We already saw that Johnson can run this offense in an emergency.

It is my opinion that you put JJ on the PS, but do not protect him.  He is 35 years old and has been on 100 NFL teams, so I am not worried that any other team will take him from us and put him on their active roster.  Unlike Mike White, JJ is strictly a backup, and he isn't going anywhere.  

As far as Flacco is concerned, he is a legitimate starter if one of our other 2 QB's get injured.  Based on our recent past, I would like to keep Flacco.

You obviously need as many QBs on your roster esp experienced ones with success in their careers like Flacco as you can have on your roster. The NFL should change the rule back to what it used to be so a team can carry 3 on Gameday without being charged an extra roster spot. 

While he played admirably, it isn't like JJ is lighting it up. That being said, they can protect him, but if they elevate him again, they will have to keep him on the rooster or put him through waivers.

I think we finally have an offense that can move the football even without out a franchise QB; Mike did extremely well. JJ did admirably without the reps. Maybe we aren't so lost, offensively, as we thought. Maybe the system was worth waiting for. Hopefully this means that next year we should be able to be consistently good.

We will have to invest, draft or FA, in the defensive side of the ball, however.