Is Sam Darnold officially a bust?

1010WINS

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's true, but they also had Bridgewater signed for 2 guaranteed years as well - including this season - and got out of that a year early by eating it. 

I can see taking a shot on Darnold for a 2nd rounder, I guess. What I can't wrap my head around is then doubling down on him by guaranteeing him $19MM next year, before his first practice with the team, and more importantly to see him up close handling adversity in live action.

Purely from a risk/reward standpoint - risking a guaranteed $19MM for a potential reward of $9MM savings on the franchise tag - that was a poor gamble. Never mind they could've worked on an extension at any time during the season if they liked what they saw. The whole thing with acquiring Darnold was it was a relatively low risk pick to try him out and see if they could find a FQB without expending a high pick this year: low risk, high reward. Then they threw that in the garbage.

Now they've got a loser QB, whose upside is still purely imaginary at this point, and next year they're down a 2nd, a 4th, and $19MM for the privilege.

I found that strange as well. I don’t think the Jets had any intention of picking up that option. 

5 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Calling someone a mutt is a straight up racist term. Get this bs outta here.

It is?   I thought a Mutt was a stray dog from a junkyard or some sh*t?

I don't think of Skin Color or Ethnicity with that term unless they changed the meaning and I never noticed.  🤷‍♂️

EDIT : Looked it up.  It has a 2nd meaning :  "A Stupid and incompetent person".

Still nothing about Race or Ethnicity there.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

It is. It's a derogatory slang for mixed race people and people that arent "purebred" 

Same way dogs that arent purebred are called mutts 

5tc6vs.jpg

Those are the only meanings that come to mind.

I think he was calling Robby a stupid and/or incompetent person.  Doubt his skin color played any role in that comment and even if it did, there is no way to prove that's what he meant anyway.

Only thing to do is just shrug our shoulders and move on

3 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

That's nice, but thats not how it's used by racists. 

Just Google the terms Mutt and racist.

Calling a biracial person mutt is racist.

Yes.  Definitions are indeed nice, aren't they?

BTW, based on the bolded above and your initial response to Anthony, are you implying something?

16 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Calling a biracial person mutt is racist. I am not implying it, I am saying it.

Dont care that you're ignorant and dont understand.

It's not exclusively a bi-racial thing, but also multi-national. I've self-identified (and not remotely alone in this) as 'mutt' for decades due to my Italian/Polish/Scottish heritage. But hey, let's all get mad about stuff!!!!

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I find this line of bullsh*t highly offensive.  

Racism is real. There are real racists out there and real racist terms.

But somehow everything someone decides is objectionabe is racist.  And those folks say "google it" and you'll find it's racist.

It diminishes REAL racism. 

A rock in Wisconson is racist.  Math is racist.  Honor classes are racist. Comedy is racist. The dude who ended slavery is racist.  

Google it.  According to the Google all racist.  

Does not make it racist.

This sh*t needs to be shut down.  

Probably going to get band for this but it's gotta stop.  

Except you can literally find dozens of stories of people being fired for calling someone a mutt. It's a word with a long history.

The NHL literally had a huge controversy over a mixed race player being called mutt by a white player.

**** off.

I am a mixed race person and have had that ******* term used against me by ignorant people. 

@Maxmanall it takes is one google of the words mutt and racism to see it. You going to allow people to openly be racist? 

Tired of this and then being lectured about it by ignorant people to just lay down and accept it.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Except you can literally find dozens of stories of people being fired for calling someone a mutt. It's a word with a long history.

The NHL literally had a huge controversy over a mixed race player being called mutt by a white player.

**** off.

I am a mixed race person and have had that ******* term used against me by ignorant people. 

@Maxmanall it takes is one google of the words mutt and racism to see it. You going to allow people to openly be racist? 

Tired of this and then being lectured about it by ignorant people to just lay down and accept it.

I remember when I was growing up we had a saying. Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me

stop being such a pussy. Not everything’s racist.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 2

Now that cool guy Sam has no one else to blame but himself for his poor play, we will finally find out how important to him being a good football qb is. IMO, he’s never really cared enough to truly put in any effort. Instead relying on his substantial God given talent and likeable personality.  Well the rubber has met the road, he either finally puts in the work or he becomes known as a bust.

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

Google “mutt” and the top things that come up are mix bread dogs and stupid people. 

You need to dig deep to find a racist connotation for it. 

Unless you are looking for it. Like all the other non-racist terms that have been hijacked by folks looking everywhere for racism even where it does not exist. 

@Maxman apologies but this should not be tolerated.  Calling a poster racist when it does not exist is not right. 

You can ban me if you want but this ain’t right. 

My kids are Italian German Irish North African and Polish. 

Mutts. Nothing racist there. 

Pure ignorance.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article108892857.html

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/biracial-asian-first-person-essay-1.6052523

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2020/09/14/a-dallas-stars-player-called-ryan-reaves-an-ugly-mutt/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dad-speaks-out-after-teacher-refers-to-biracial-son-as-a-mutt_n_5807eb7ae4b0dd54ce377cd7

https://ny.eater.com/2021/1/8/22218958/prince-street-pizza-yelp-frank-dominic-morano-racism

http://www.rsdb.org/slur/mutt

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

No.  He can’t be successful anywhere because he lacks competitive spirit.

Darnold is OK with losing… 

That spirit was on full display when he let Robbie Anderson say to him "you suck bitch"   without putting the skinny weasel on his rear end

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

It is. It's a derogatory slang for mixed race people and people that arent "purebred" 

Same way dogs that arent purebred are called mutts.

And Robby is mixed race 

Wrong, it’s a non pure bred dog, a mixed breed.  Racists hate pure bred peoples that are different from themselves as well as mixed breed peoples who are different.  The racism part of it is in your head 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Wrong, it’s a non pure bred dog, a mixed breed.  Racists hate pure bred peoples that are different from themselves as well as mixed breed peoples who are different.  The racism part of it is in your head 

I literally just posted like 6 stories about its use in racism and it being listed in the racial slur database.

I'm sure me being mixed race and literally having racist white men call me it was all in my head.

Educate yourself before you open your mouth.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vin said:

5tc6vs.jpg

Those are the only meanings that come to mind.

I think he was calling Robby a stupid and/or incompetent person.  Doubt his skin color played any role in that comment and even if it did, there is no way to prove that's what he meant anyway.

Only thing to do is just shrug our shoulders and move on

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mutt

Yeah, no, there are definitely racial undertones to using that term to describe a person.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

I disagree he looked promising as a rookie.

He had a four game stretch where his stats looked pretty good but the team still lost.

He was never good and didn’t get worse, just was never good.

You can probably say the same thing about Zach

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app