Reddick accuses Mac Jones of dirty play

Dcat

Mac Jones is surely learning how to be a Patriot.  Belichick is teaching him well.

Haason Reddick says Patriots QB Mac Jones’ play on Brian Burns was ‘dirty’

New England Patriots running back Damien Harris lays on the ground after getting tackled by Carolina Panthers defensive end Brian Burns during the second half of an NFL football game Sunday, Nov. 7, 2021, in Charlotte, N.C. (AP Photo/Jacob Kupferman)
By Joseph Person 1h agocomment-icon@2x.png 5 save-icon@2x.png

Panthers edge rusher Haason Reddick said Mac Jones was guilty of a “dirty play” against Carolina edge rusher Brian Burns on Sunday and called on the NFL to take action against the Patriots’ rookie quarterback.

“I actually saw and witnessed the play while it was happening. … At first, it looked like he was trying to trip or kick Burns, then next thing you notice I saw him tugging on Burns’ ankle,” Reddick said. “I thought it was completely dirty. Hopefully, it’s something that the league addresses.”

The play in question happened after Burns’ strip-sack against Jones late in the first quarter of the Patriots’ 24-6 win. As the ball bounded away from Jones, Burns tried to disengage with Jones to get up and go after the fumble, which the Panthers recovered.

Replays showed Jones holding Burns’ right ankle to prevent him from getting up. When Burns tried to spin out of Jones’ hold, he went down awkwardly and ended up missing several plays with an ankle injury the next series.

No penalty was called, which Reddick called “egregious” and “mind-blowing.”

“It seems they’re always protecting the offensive players. Where’s the protection for the defensive players, as well?” Reddick said. “I’m going to speak out on it, whatever the consequences are. It looked completely intentional from where I was standing, and I was pretty close. I don’t think that was a call that should have been missed.”

Panthers coach Matt Rhule said players on the ground can grab, hold and pull opponents away from the ball. But Rhule indicated Jones, whom Rhule coached at the Senior Bowl in January, should have been flagged for a personal foul.

“Just when I looked at the replay, I thought a foul should be called. I don’t want to call out any of their players or anything like that,” Rhule said. “I’m always gonna protect our guys, and it looked like it was an injury that happened after the play. So I was just defending Brian.”

Burns left the game again with an ankle injury in the fourth quarter, though it was unclear if it was related to the earlier play. Burns was not available after the game, and Jones was not asked about the play.

Referee Clete Blakeman told a pool reporter said it was a judgment call.

“I’m not saying we saw it or didn’t see it. But this is something we can’t discuss, relative to subjective calls like that, what rises to the level of a hold or is not a hold,” Blakeman said. “That is something the league office will deal with in the evaluation of our game.”

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Mac Jones is surely learning how to be a Patriot.  Belichick is teaching him well.

Haason Reddick says Patriots QB Mac Jones’ play on Brian Burns was ‘dirty’

New England Patriots running back Damien Harris lays on the ground after getting tackled by Carolina Panthers defensive end Brian Burns during the second half of an NFL football game Sunday, Nov. 7, 2021, in Charlotte, N.C. (AP Photo/Jacob Kupferman)
By Joseph Person 1h agocomment-icon@2x.png 5 save-icon@2x.png

Panthers edge rusher Haason Reddick said Mac Jones was guilty of a “dirty play” against Carolina edge rusher Brian Burns on Sunday and called on the NFL to take action against the Patriots’ rookie quarterback.

“I actually saw and witnessed the play while it was happening. … At first, it looked like he was trying to trip or kick Burns, then next thing you notice I saw him tugging on Burns’ ankle,” Reddick said. “I thought it was completely dirty. Hopefully, it’s something that the league addresses.”

The play in question happened after Burns’ strip-sack against Jones late in the first quarter of the Patriots’ 24-6 win. As the ball bounded away from Jones, Burns tried to disengage with Jones to get up and go after the fumble, which the Panthers recovered.

Replays showed Jones holding Burns’ right ankle to prevent him from getting up. When Burns tried to spin out of Jones’ hold, he went down awkwardly and ended up missing several plays with an ankle injury the next series.

No penalty was called, which Reddick called “egregious” and “mind-blowing.”

“It seems they’re always protecting the offensive players. Where’s the protection for the defensive players, as well?” Reddick said. “I’m going to speak out on it, whatever the consequences are. It looked completely intentional from where I was standing, and I was pretty close. I don’t think that was a call that should have been missed.”

Panthers coach Matt Rhule said players on the ground can grab, hold and pull opponents away from the ball. But Rhule indicated Jones, whom Rhule coached at the Senior Bowl in January, should have been flagged for a personal foul.

“Just when I looked at the replay, I thought a foul should be called. I don’t want to call out any of their players or anything like that,” Rhule said. “I’m always gonna protect our guys, and it looked like it was an injury that happened after the play. So I was just defending Brian.”

Burns left the game again with an ankle injury in the fourth quarter, though it was unclear if it was related to the earlier play. Burns was not available after the game, and Jones was not asked about the play.

“I’m not saying we saw it or didn’t see it. But this is something we can’t discuss, relative to subjective calls like that, what rises to the level of a hold or is not a hold,” Blakeman said. “That is something the league office will deal with in the evaluation of our game.”

Patriots way baby!

- Mac Jones girlfriend 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jet25 said:

Did you guys not play football? When its a live ball... anything goes. In that situation, any smart QB would have done the same thing that Mac Jones did.

I guess if he was even smarter, Jones could have kneed Reddick in the balls, too.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Jet25 said:

Did you guys not play football? When its a live ball... anything goes. In that situation, any smart QB would have done the same thing that Mac Jones did.

Yeah I have to mostly agree. When your going for a loose ball and an opposing player is about to pick it up you can hold, push, pull, grab, punch at the ball - but I would say you can't trip with your legs and you can't kick a player or do other personal foul things. As far a hold back or hold down - as long as its not a personal foul I think its fair. Now I dont like Mac Jones but he does seem to be a competitor - but I definitely dont like him!

Gutless a$$hole:  You either willingly let a call go because it was a qb and probably a patriot qb or you are 100% incompetent, make your choice.

• Upvote 2

I'm betting (because I looked it up) Reddick has been called for hands to the face, roughing the passer, face mask, Horse collar tackle and he was thrown out of a game in 2017.   

It's football.  It should have been a penalty.  It doesn't make him a dirty player.  The refs in the NFL have a lot of lattitude and generally suck.  That doesn't make the leap to Jones is a dirty player.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And?  It should have been a penalty.  Pretty obvious no?

For what?

If Mac did a WWE type ankle lock, sure, a personal foul would be warranted.  

If there is a holding call that falls within what he did by holding the ankle, ok.  

35 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Twisting his foot did not help his ankle.

Maybe the player shouldn't have tried to escape.  J/K.

Was it dirty?  I do not think so.  I think Mac grabbed the only thing he could and held on.  Unfortunately, it caused an injury.  

I just watched this several times multiple angles.

Much ado about nothing. He grabbed the dudes foot because thats all he could grab and held him to prevent him to make a play. LEGAL!

It’s mind numbing that fans don’t know this, and even more so that a player wouldn’t. Mac didn’t twist the guy’s ankle, he just held onto his foot. The player twisted around to see who was holding him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

100% if that was mike white trying to stop a defender this ENTIRE board would be screaming and yelling about another unfair call

What unfair call? I’d be praising Mike for doing whatever it took to keep the defender from recovering a loose ball, which is exactly what Mac Jones did. There was no penalty called because there was no penalty committed.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1