Mac Jones Mediocre Again Today?

7 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Every time I hear someone here talk about a QB’s “ceiling”, I think back to when we drafted Darnold. 
Remember when you guys would talk about how “his floor” was higher than Mayfield, Jackson and Allen’s “ceiling”? 
I do, and that’s when I realized most of you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about when it comes to ceilings, floors, and QBs. 
Don’t embarrass yourselves by doing it again with Zach and other QBs.

Well either way it's going to be a long miserable few years for you if you're a Jet fan. You ARE a Jet fan, no?

Mac Jones playing within a system and winning games - low ceiling guy who will never win anything.

Zach Wilson sabotaging games with terrible play in a system competently executed by two journeymen backing him up - high ceiling dude who just needs more time.

You gotta crawl before you walk. Zack Wilson can't even roll over yet.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Mac Jones playing within a system and winning games - low ceiling guy who will never win anything.

Zach Wilson sabotaging games with terrible play in a system competently executed by two journeymen backing him up - high ceiling dude who just needs more time.

You gotta crawl before you walk. Zack Wilson can't even roll over yet.

https://youtu.be/vWFa1cfC8W4 

43 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Well either way it's going to be a long miserable few years for you if you're a Jet fan. You ARE a Jet fan, no?

Ah, the Jet fan purity test…. I always love the knuckleheads who attempt to question another fan’s “true loyalty” because of an opinion on a message board.

I hate to break it to you, but nobody is trying to pull off an elaborate ruse in order to fool you about their Jets fandom. Nor are they going to bother trying to convince you they are a “true fan”. You’re not that important.

9 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Is that really impressive over a 17 game season? Averages out to 235 yards a game.

I've seen him play a bunch, he's OK. They're not asking him to do a whole lot and he hasn't screwed up much, which is something I suppose.

Translation:  The Pats coaching staff is smart and ours is dumb as stumps.  

9 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

He really is a system QB. His ceiling is lower than Zachs. We need to fix the O line.  Zach needs to take what’s given to him. 

ZACH WILL BE THE BEST QB IN THIS DRAFT BY HIS 3RD YEAR. WRITE IT DOWN. 

this is a marathon not a sprint. 

Right now, Zack has a chipped and peeling popcorn ceiling in need of renovation.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

The Patriots are above .500 with a rookie QB starting every game, and if not for two tough losses (RB fumble in the Red zone before they could kick winning FG and a last second loss on a FG) they would be 7-2.

3 of their wins came against the Jets and Jags with a loss to the 2 win Fish team.  Theyre not a 7-2 team who if you need to switch losses to wins

• Upvote 1

Just now, Irish Jet said:

If Zach was playing even close to Mac Jones' level this forum would be prepping the journey to his HOF induction. 

Honestly I feel Mike White  is playing at a higher level than Mac Jones. They very well may be the same caliber of player but obviously Mike’s time absorbing the position while in the league made a difference. Mac Jones  is playing but Patriots are doing everything they can to give him time to grow into the position, doing a masterful job with him. Zach should have had that same start, since offense wasn’t ever going to be raft right away from him he should have sat behind a bet, pushing chips all in on the kid is likely the worse thing they could have done. Kid is a film junkey, he asked a lot of questions… all stuff we heard, so why not let him sit and learn? Just weird decision. I go back and forth in my mind on who I think made it. 

7 hours ago, MykePM said:

The Jets were 9-7 in Mark Sanchez’s rookie season, so I guess Jones is also destined for greatness.

The Jets had the best rushing attack in the league and the best D.  The Pats are 19th in rushing yards right now.  Top 10 D but not close to what Sanchez had.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

3 of their wins came against the Jets and Jags with a loss to the 2 win Fish team.  Theyre not a 7-2 team who if you need to switch losses to wins

If Mac keeps playing at this level they are clearly one of the best teams in a very mediocre AFC this year.  

23 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Then Deshaun Watson stinks. 4-12 last year.What’s the fuss with him (putting aside the sexual assault issues). Measuring QBs by wins and losses in a sport where 45 players play the game only serves to fit a narrative. 

Bingo. The D is keeping that team going, Jones is just not turning the ball over enough to sabotage their efforts 

27 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

It helps that their defense is pretty good. The defense scored more that the offense yesterday. Jones is mediocre but he has good support and coaching to help, unlike the Jets. 

Being a mediocre NFL starting QB for a rookie is a high bar.   There aren't a lot of mediocre starting QB's in the NFL.  It's a very small group.  

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I didn't see either of his last 2 games but his stats aren't anything special.  Yes they're 2-0 in these games and that's the stat that counts the most but how much of that was Mac vs the rest of the squad?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401326453

Pats 24 Carolina 6

image.png.c05da8cb216b7aa1b873e71aae0569d3.png

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401326445

Pats 27 Chargers 24

image.png.c2e72e37c11b65eef77341e59fed9d8c.png

This is the difference between the Jets and the Pats. They are not making the QB win the games. They are able to support him in other ways and allow him to play within himself. 

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, but.......the loss to the Phins was not his fault.

The Patriots could be 7-2 if the RBs and WRs did not fumble the ball as much, but they are also plays away from being 2-7 (1st Jets game, Texans and Chargers one score games).  

I am not saying Mac is the second coming of Brady.  Far from it. 

To quote Jay-Z, the Patriots' have 99 problems, but a QB is not one".  He has played well.  He has played well despite an OL that has not been as good as advertised.  It is getting better, but it is far from a Top 5 unit like some projected.  His skill position players are good, but not great.  

The operative question is, what can he become?  I think, if he does not develop any further, his floor is Kirk Cousins.   Will he be a Top Tier QB?  Probably not.  Can he be in the next tier down?  Maybe.  If he puts effort into developing his craft, he is going to be a very good QB.  

Until he shows otherwise, the Patriots have their QB.

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think this is a testament to how supported Mac is. He has t really been forced to do too much and they can win. They are bringing him along slowly.

Mac is a system cog.  Most of the Pundits described him pre-draft as having a high floor and probably average ceiling.  I agreed with that.  He'll never be a "special" type of QB that can win on his own, nor will he be a QB that will lose on his own.  Somewhat like a Chad Pennington. 

I dint want the Jets to draft Wilson, Fields or Lance even though they clearly all have a much higher ceiling that Jones.  However, if the Jets insisted on one of those very non NFL ready, I had hoped that they would be smart enough to keep them in school for a year or two.

Unlike the Pats and Jones, the Jets and Wilson are not a good bet to "learn and teach on the Job".

It is exactly as your eyes see it.

Jones is a system cog with limited arm talent and athletic ability.

Wilson has great arm talent and athletic ability and no clue about how to play pro ball and the Jets have no clue how to teach him. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

This is the difference between the Jets and the Pats. They are not making the QB win the games. They are able to support him in other ways and allow him to play within himself. 

Plus, they have developed a system which works for them.  And hire coaches who can succeed in that system.  They just keep plugging in the pieces.  For whatever reason, Cam did not work in that system.   But like Brady, Jones is, so far, flourishing in it.

12 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Yeah, but.......the loss to the Phins was not his fault.

The Patriots could be 7-2 if the RBs and WRs did not fumble the ball as much, but they are also plays away from being 2-7 (1st Jets game, Texans and Chargers one score games).  

I am not saying Mac is the second coming of Brady.  Far from it. 

To quote Jay-Z, the Patriots' have 99 problems, but a QB is not one".  He has played well.  He has played well despite an OL that has not been as good as advertised.  It is getting better, but it is far from a Top 5 unit like some projected.  His skill position players are good, but not great.  

The operative question is, what can he become?  I think, if he does not develop any further, his floor is Kirk Cousins.   Will he be a Top Tier QB?  Probably not.  Can he be in the next tier down?  Maybe.  If he puts effort into developing his craft, he is going to be a very good QB.  

Until he shows otherwise, the Patriots have their QB.

Wasn’t commenting so much about Jones as the Pats and the crazy idea that if they won games they lost their record would be better

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Agreed but watching the AFC this year who is?  Teams show flashes and revert to crap the next week.  

I think teams like the Chiefs, Ravens  and Chargers will straighten themselves out.  Still think the Bills will be a tough out.  Crazy year though

• Upvote 2