Jump to content

Mac Jones Mediocre Again Today?


TuscanyTile2
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I think teams like the Chiefs, Ravens  and Chargers will straighten themselves out.  Still think the Bills will be a tough out.  Crazy year though

The look on Josh Allen's face after yesterday's loss scares me.  He looked like he wanted to kill somebody.  I think it's going to be our D.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I didn't see either of his last 2 games but his stats aren't anything special.  Yes they're 2-0 in these games and that's the stat that counts the most but how much of that was Mac vs the rest of the squad?

 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401326453

Pats 24 Carolina 6

image.png.c05da8cb216b7aa1b873e71aae0569d3.png

 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401326445

Pats 27 Chargers 24

image.png.c2e72e37c11b65eef77341e59fed9d8c.png

 

At the end of the day he is not losing games for them.  Like you said, the stat that matters.

 

He is doing what a rookie should do.  Stay within the system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Ah, the Jet fan purity test…. I always love the knuckleheads who attempt to question another fan’s “true loyalty” because of an opinion on a message board.

I hate to break it to you, but nobody is trying to pull off an elaborate ruse in order to fool you about their Jets fandom. Nor are they going to bother trying to convince you they are a “true fan”. You’re not that important.

You just wrote a hundred word response.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Then Deshaun Watson stinks. 4-12 last year.What’s the fuss with him (putting aside the sexual assault issues). Measuring QBs by wins and losses in a sport where 45 players play the game only serves to fit a narrative. 

Yup.  Up until yesterday @kelticwizard was giving Darnold credit for the Panthers being 4-4.  He hasn't posted much today I don't think, at least not on the topic of Sam Darnold.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, jgb said:

If Wilson were putting up Jones numbers, this place would be counting the future Lombardis.

Instead, he's a bum because... Patriots.

I know you don't really believe that.

there would be a quite a large stronghold of the Anat-Wilson contingency that would be calling him scared,  never be good...Same things they're saying about Mac.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I know you don't really believe that.

there would be a quite a large stronghold of the Anat-Wilson contingency that would be calling him scared,  never be good...Same things they're saying about Mac.

I do believe it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, jgb said:

People like to say this. Based on what?

Sure Macc is playing within a system as a rookie while Zach is spraying diarrhea all over a system that Mike White and Josh Johnson seem to grasp.

I can remember many Jet fans including myself saying the same thing when Brady got his start..."It's the system he's playing in".  Hey, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Patsies in the playoffs this year, especially the way AFC cream of the crop teams are playing.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Uncle Nicco said:

Show me 1 example of Mac Jones displaying potential beyond what a Cooper Rush Colt McCoy or Mike White are capable of. Now remember that this is a player you took in the 1st round. 

Mac Jones has -- and it is early -- displayed the beginnings of #1 most important FQB trait: taking what the defense gives you and doing the little things well consistently. I'll take that every single time over a rocket armed flame thrower who throws into triple coverage down the field when there's a guy open for 8 yards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Mac Jones is the best QB in this class right now, it isn’t close. He is being groomed exactly the way Brady was years ago, and he is only going to get better.

The Patriots are above .500 with a rookie QB starting every game, and if not for two tough losses (RB fumble in the Red zone before they could kick winning FG and a last second loss on a FG) they would be 7-2.

Let’s say they finish 10-7 with him. How many rookie QBs pull that off?

On the Jets Mac Jones is Sam Darnold.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Mac Jones has -- and it is early -- displayed the beginnings of #1 most important FQB trait: taking what the defense gives you and doing the little things well consistently. I'll take that every single time over a rocket armed flame thrower who throws into triple coverage down the field when there's a guy open for 8 yards.

Wrong. A franchise QB can single handedly carry a team and win you a game, while at the same time playing efficient football. The first half of that statement is what separates Elite players from Andy Dalton. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Uncle Nicco said:

Wrong. A franchise QB can single handedly carry a team and win you a game, while at the same time playing efficient football. The first half of that statement is what separates Elite players from Andy Dalton. 

This is funny coming from a guy who defended Sam Darnold until the bitter end. I thought wins were impossible for great QBs if he has no zopweponz?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Uncle Nicco said:

Show me 1 example of Mac Jones displaying potential beyond what a Cooper Rush Colt McCoy or Mike White are capable of. Now remember that this is a player you took in the 1st round. 

For one thing his release of the football blows the three of them away.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Mac Jones has -- and it is early -- displayed the beginnings of #1 most important FQB trait: taking what the defense gives you and doing the little things well consistently. I'll take that every single time over a rocket armed flame thrower who throws into triple coverage down the field when there's a guy open for 8 yards.

This.  

I know I am preaching to the Jets' Nation choir.  

Cam was dealt a crap sandwich last year and the Patriots tried to fit a round peg into a square hole.  I am just saying it is nice to see a QB deliver a catchable ball to his target.    

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

On the Jets Mac Jones is Sam Darnold.

We (you)really don’t know that though, do we (you)?  It’s one of those funny things Jet fans like to say about QBs who are playing better than ours. The @Uncle Nicco types eat it up.
What we do know though is that Jones was good enough to be recruited by, and win as the Alabama QB in the SEC against the best competition there is. We know he’s good enough to lead the Patriots to a winning record during his rookie season. Finally, we also know he’s performing better than any other rookie QB this year.

I really don’t understand how that equates to the suckiness that is Sam Darnold.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

We (you)really don’t know that though, do we (you)?  It’s one of those funny things Jet fans like to say about QBs who are playing better than ours. The @Uncle Nicco types eat it up.
What we do know though is that Jones was good enough to be recruited by, and win as the Alabama QB in the SEC against the best competition there is. We know he’s good enough to lead the Patriots to a winning record during his rookie season. Finally, we also know he’s performing better than any other rookie QB this year.

I really don’t understand how that equates to the suckiness that is Sam Darnold.

Location location location. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

This.  

I know I am preaching to the Jets' Nation choir.  

Cam was dealt a crap sandwich last year and the Patriots tried to fit a round peg into a square hole.  I am just saying it is nice to see a QB deliver a catchable ball to his target.    

After seeing his first game:

Tons of pundits have since expressed the same opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

This.  

I know I am preaching to the Jets' Nation choir.  

Cam was dealt a crap sandwich last year and the Patriots tried to fit a round peg into a square hole.  I am just saying it is nice to see a QB deliver a catchable ball to his target.    

I also posted this in 2017 in response to someone expressing the opinion that all Geno needed was weaponinz to be a good QB (boy, doesn't that sound familiar around here). I still believe every word. Although of course Dak has developed plenty since his rookie year:

***
 
The accuracy thing is huge. When a Brady or a Brees can consistently put it on the receiver's belt buckle, he doesn't need the elite skills necessary to gain significant separation play after play like he would need with a less-accurate thrower. If Jeremy Kerley was a Patriot, I think you'd be looking at a 90+ catch player and if Edelman was a Jet he'd be... well, Jeremy Kerley. Probably a lot of guys in the league that would be true for Brady is just that good. But having a Randy Moss in his prime wouldn't turn an average QB into Brady. I agree with you some WRs are transcendent players, and your list feels about right. But given that a QB touches the ball every snap, I still say the QB elevates the supporting cast more than the other way around. Put another way I'd bet on the elite QB with the average receivers (which he would get more out of then their skill indicates) over the average QB with one elite WR, who can only be fed so much. Sure there are exceptions when you also have an unstoppable OLine and stud RB, maybe you can protect the QB a bit and make him look better than he is (like Dak Prescott, who would not have won OROTY on almost any other team, Hell he wasn't the best offensive rookie on his own team). But that's not the easiest path to win a championship. If there were 10 roads to the SB, 9 of them depend on an elite QB imho. That's a long winded way to say if Geno had a reasonable chance to succeed in the future, we would've seen more evidence suggesting that possibility even with the "lack of weapons" he undoubtedly experienced. Thus, it's possible (I'd argue reasonable) to believe both that Geno had a below average supporting cast but still himself sucks.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Location location location. 

Yeah it’s definitely a part of the equation, but nowhere near all of it.

None of us are posting “Just imagine the career and how many millions of dollars Ryan Leaf would’ve made if the Colts drafted him instead of Peyton Manning!”

Or talking about how different the careers of Rosen and Sam would be if they’d been drafted by the Chiefs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Green Ghost said:

Yeah it’s definitely a part of the equation, but nowhere near all of it.

None of us are posting “Just imagine the career and how many millions of dollars Ryan Leaf would’ve made if the Colts drafted him instead of Peyton Manning”!

Or talking about how different the careers of Rosen and Sam would be if they’d been drafted by the Chiefs.

image.png.8cb634889e2f6e4c83dc4a43715294de.png

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Jet Life said:

Hopefully Mac Jones is decent enough that the Patriots keep him, because he’ll never win a thing for them. Very average and limited player. He’s like a Walmart Mike White

image.thumb.png.be9b0abedcbaf817c62c393a5f3c3bdc.png

Mike White is like Walmart, Mac Jones is like Grocery Outlet

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Yeah it’s definitely a part of the equation, but nowhere near all of it.

None of us are posting “Just imagine the career and how many millions of dollars Ryan Leaf would’ve made if the Colts drafted him instead of Peyton Manning!”

Or talking about how different the careers of Rosen and Sam would be if they’d been drafted by the Chiefs.

Speaking of the Chiefs, how different was Matt Cassell's career in Kansas City, opposed to New England? Success in New England and disappointment in Kansas City. Imagine if Alex Smith started out with Andy Reid in KC instead of Mike Nolan in San Francisco. Even the Rams made a scrub like Marc Bulger look good post Kurt Warner. Trent Dilfer succeeded in Baltimore compared to Tampa Bay. How did you like Steve Young with the Yuccaneers  before joining Bill Walsh's 49ers? Bottom line location matters more to the success of a quarterback than how high they were drafted. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...