2021 QB Class Check-In

jgb

2021 QB Class  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Of the rookie QBs who have seen meaningful snaps, would you trade Zach Wilson straight up now for... (multiple choice)

• Lawrence
    • Lance
    • Fields
    • Jones
    • Mills (don't @ me, included for completeness)
    • None of the above

So far there is no burrow or Herbert in this class. Zach had a shot to be great if he could just stop showing off his arm and take the check downs. 

So far mac jones  is playing the best out of all of them, but he is doing what he did in college which is being an excellent game manager. 

This is really a who do we like more thread and wish we could swap quarterbacks with fantasy poll. I cannot see the Jaguars or the Patriots wanting to swap quarterbacks with the Jets. The 49ers and Bears is debatable but still highly unlikely. The only one the Jets could swap straight up with is the Texans, but Mills straight up isn't a fair trade for the Jets.

With that said, I'll play along and say I would choose to swap Zach Wilson for Trevor Lawrence  straight up. I believe Lawrence is better built physically and mentally for a long successful NFL career as a starting quarterback. 

51 minutes ago, Wit said:

So far there is no burrow or Herbert in this class. Zach had a shot to be great if he could just stop showing off his arm and take the check downs. 

So far mac jones  is playing the best out of all of them, but he is doing what he did in college which is being an excellent game manager. 

Big question for me is whether Zach sees the check downs or whether he just doesn't look for them/want to throw them. The former would be a bigger problem than the latter.

Too early to know.

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Lawrence. Nothing I've seen in half a season changes our understanding of who these guys are and can be

Agree.  Lawrence is a player with a very high ceiling that shows he is learning.  

Jones is a high floor low ceiling system cog for BB to manipulate on his chess board

Wilson, Lance and Fields are developmental projects with great potential, but only potential.  They are speculative stocks all the way.  Buy with caution. 

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Agree.  Lawrence is a player with a very high ceiling that shows he is learning.  

Jones is a high floor low ceiling system cog for BB to manipulate on his chess board

Wilson, Lance and Fields are developmental projects with great potential, but only potential.  They are speculative stocks all the way.  Buy with caution. 

Again, this assessment of Mac is based on him doing what he's been asked to do, not on what he is capable of.

Meanwhile, Zach resists all instruction like a wild horse. If he can't be reined in, he's not gonna make it.

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

My bad, wasn’t directed at you at all.  I get where you are coming from and it’s an interesting discussion.  I currently wouldn’t do anything, simply because the only one who I believe has produced markedly better to warrant such a change is Jones, but I don’t think Jones is anything more than Jimmy G at best, which I personally wouldn’t be willing to accept as my future at this current moment.

I was just saying, in general, that for those who answer Lawrence, I believe that would be more because they want their evaluation of him in the draft process to be true more so than he has shown anything to warrant it.

I hear ya. The other side of the coin is that everyone likes to argue it's too early to make conclusions so why should people move off their pre-draft evaluations? If they preferred Trevor before, wouldn't it be disingenuous under this theory for them to shift to Wilson?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Again, this assessment of Mac is based on him doing what he's been asked to do, not on what he is capable of.

Meanwhile, Zach resists all instruction like a wild horse. If he can't be reined in, he's not gonna make it.

Good point on Jones, but from what I can see, he does not have any great abilities in his arm or feet.  He's being asked to do what he can do.  We don't see more because he's limited.  I would not use the word flawed, but I would consider his skill set to be limited in comparison to the top 5 or so NFL passers. 

7 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Good point on Jones, but from what I can see, he does not have any great abilities in his arm or feet.  He's being asked to do what he can do.  We don't see more because he's limited.  I would not use the word flawed, but I would consider his skill set to be limited in comparison to the top 5 or so NFL passers. 

Physically Wilson has more tools. I'm only suggesting that beyond a baseline of requisite talent, additional physical ability has a diminishing return as compared to cognitive qualities that cannot be measured, only tested in live action.

Wilson has to learn to recognize, create (with pre-snap reads) and capitalize on the easy ones. The easy ones set up the home runs. Otherwise, it just won't matter.

22 minutes ago, jgb said:

Physically Wilson has more tools. I'm only suggesting that beyond a baseline of requisite talent, additional physical ability has a diminishing return as compared to cognitive qualities that cannot be measured, only tested in live action.

Wilson has to learn to recognize, create (with pre-snap reads) and capitalize on the easy ones. The easy ones set up the home runs. Otherwise, it just won't matter.

I dig.  I was never onboard with drafting Wilson.  A team like the Jets that are in dire need of everything should not be drafting developmental or unconventional prospects.  I think Wilson was a mistake.  Not only does a prospect like Wilson need to sit and learn, he needs teachers too.  Right now, with a young GM, new HC and new OC and no vet QB, there is a shortage of teachers on the Jets.

We all saw this going into the season. For some odd reason, lots of fans/pundits had high hopes for Wilson and I don't get it.  It was an oncoming disaster and easy to see. 

Rookie QB from BYU with limited playing time being put in the job day one and no learned/wise mentors behind him. 

Any betting man/woman would put smart money on Wilson being a disaster as a starter with the Jets as soon as the pick was made. 

• Post of the Week 2

9 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I dig.  I was never onboard with drafting Wilson.  A team like the Jets that are in dire need of everything should not be drafting developmental or unconventional prospects.  I think Wilson was a mistake.  Not only does a prospect like Wilson need to sit and learn, he needs teachers too.  Right now, with a young GM, new HC and new OC and no vet QB, there is a shortage of teachers on the Jets.

We all saw this going into the season. For some odd reason, lots of fans/pundits had high hopes for Wilson and I don't get it.  It was an oncoming disaster and easy to see. 

Rookie QB from BYU with limited playing time being put in the job day one and no learned/wise mentors behind him. 

Any betting man/woman would put smart money on Wilson being a disaster as a starter with the Jets as soon as the pick was made. 

Maybe it's because I live in Europe outside the 24/7 NFL news cycle but it seemed Zach only started being touted as a top pick when the rumors starting flying that the Jets were zeroing in... draft pundits are lagging not leading indicators. They predict picks, not success.

It became a self-reinforcing cycle.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

It's a question about trading, not going back in time and re-drafting

still they aren't trading Lawrence for Zach

as I said, id just stay with Zach and hope he can learn to throw the short pass when there and also stop trying to feed Davis. 

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

still they aren't trading Lawrence for Zach

as I said, id just stay with Zach and hope he can learn to throw the short pass when there and also stop trying to feed Davis. 

It's just a hypothetical. No one is swapping first round QBs at this point.

Appreciate your opinion on Zach, though.

Lawrence because he still has the #1 pedigree of all of the 2021 QBs. I'd still take Wilson second. I think his combination of arm talent and mental make-up are unique and afford him a very high ceiling. After all, in the QB lottery, we're looking for the Million dollar ticket, not the $25,000 winner, right?

I am anxious to see what Wilson looks like when her returns with LaFleur in the booth, Beck on the sideline and having seen what the O looks like when you are willing to check down in a timely manner rather than waiting for your primary to become open.  Hopefully, Wilson has learned that if a receiver is not open when you look, you move on down your progressions and throw it to the first open target you see.