Zach Wilson returns to practice

Patriot Killa

4 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

There is no greater motivation in football than watching your backup play well.

I think Zach's contract is guaranteed.   He might enjoy getting paid and not being charged a seat license fee?  Seems like a pretty good gig if you can get it.  Zach could probably fund the fire Saleh go fund me page all by himself.  

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I think Zach's contract is guaranteed.   He might enjoy getting paid and not being charged a seat license fee?  Seems like a pretty good gig if you can get it.  Zach could probably fund the fire Saleh go fund me page all by himself.  

It would be even worse if he was funding the 'FIRE JD' gofundme page

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

So, the Siege of Petersburg almost lasted a year. Nothing was fast about taking Richmond

Your fellow fan history buff

This isn't the time or place, and I appreciate that your history knowledge, but I was referring to the how the Union forces brought the surrender of the confederacy in the Civil War "Like Grant took Richmond" or "that was quick."

Just now, johnnysd said:

In the NFL, players are given labels. Those labels generally match their draft position. As an example Darnold was the #3 pick, so despite the fact that he has 100% proven he is not a capable starter, he will still get opportunities even after Carolina as some team that had him rated really highly in the draft will think they can fix him and bring out his talent.

There are a few exceptions to this. Josh Rosen was out of the league (essentially) really fast, and there are players who were undrafted and will always have opportunities based off of their previous success.

If Wilson starts, and poops the bed, it's the end of Wilson as a New York Jet in 2021.  

The team, after two big performances by nobody backup QB scrubs, will not accept the #2 overall pick playing "just because" if he's clearly not the best guy on the team at QB right now.  Saleh would lose the team completely, as would Wilson.

And there is a very good chance the worst QB in the NFL in 2021 WILL, in fact, poop the bed rushing back from injury vs. a pissed off Buffalo team.

Sit Wilson.  Start White.  See what happens, go from there.

Jobs are earned, not awarded, and Wilson frankly hasn't earned the #1 job in 2021 yet.

• Upvote 2

You have to see what you have in Wilson. The more he plays the more he learns. Unfortunately he will lose the team and the defense sucking wont make it easy on the offense. Start Mike White at least one more week and pray the Bills defense takes the shine off him. If it doesn't, you have a QB controversy. 

• Upvote 1

White should, and almost certainly will, start this week. Getting Wilson into practice this week is the start of getting him back up to speed. If he’s looking and feeling good in practice next week, he’ll start against Miami. Them and the Texans would be a nice way to ease the rookie back into the lineup - much better than a hungry Bills team. Either way, he’ll be starting by the Texans game, bare minimum.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Wit said:

You have to see what you have in Wilson. The more he plays the more he learns. Unfortunately he will lose the team and the defense sucking wont make it easy on the offense. Start Mike White at least one more week and pray the Bills defense takes the shine off him. If it doesn't, you have a QB controversy. 

On the contrary, I'm hoping Mike White drops another 400 yard 3 TD game against Buffalo in a big win.

A QB Controversy is literally the least of this franchises concerns right now.

Zach hasn't earned anything.  He's not Joe Montana, he's just a high draft pick.  Any controversy would be pure fan/media created, because IF White has another good game (far FAR from a certainty), against Buffalo of all teams, there IS NO CONTROVERSY lol, Mike White has earned the #1 job on the field in a way Zack completely hasn't as yet.

To be clear, White will probably suck (because it's us), and we'll probably go right back to Zack sucking (because he sucks so far), and that'll be that.

But on that slim chance White has a good game.....controversy?  What controversy?  Lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

On the contrary, I'm hoping Mike White drops another 400 yard 3 TD game against Buffalo in a big win.

A QB Controversy is literally the least of this franchises concerns right now.

Zach hasn't earned anything.  He's not Joe Montana, he's just a high draft pick.  Any controversy would be pure fan/media created, because IF White has another good game (far FAR from a certainty), against Buffalo of all teams, there IS NO CONTROVERSY lol, Mike White has earned the #1 job on the field in a way Zack completely hasn't as yet.

To be clear, White will probably suck (because it's us), and we'll probably go right back to Zack sucking (because he sucks so far), and that'll be that.

But on that slim chance White has a good game.....controversy?  What controversy?  Lol.

There are so many myths in professional football that we all hear so much we start take it as gospel…

Truth is $ and draft position often is the deciding factor in situations like this, this “jobs are earned” is nothing but BS talk to appease sleeping fans 

7 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

There are so many myths in professional football that we all hear so much we start take it as gospel…

Truth is $ and draft position often is the deciding factor in situations like this, this “jobs are earned” is nothing but BS talk to appease sleeping fans 

You're quite right.  Many poorly run franchise with soft-spined coaches gave in to the pressure, and played the big $$ free agent or the high pick "upside" draft pick over the guy who actually earned the job.

I hope we're not that stupid, should something good happen for us at QB with White.  

As I said, it almost assuredly won't, and we'll soon be back to squabbling about Zach Wilson and exactly how much he sucks vs. LaFluer vs. his supporting cast again, the brief period of production forgotten in a desperate attempt to bolster Zack and reject that we drafted a possible bust QB yet AGAIN, same business as always here.  See the Darnold years as an example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

There is no greater motivation in football than watching your backup play well.

Yet some people here abhorred the idea of bringing in a legit backup in the off season for fear it will wreck poor Zachy's confidence...

We've even taken competition out of sports in the name of self-esteem. Sad.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm old enough to remember threads about how JD was negligent in not bringing in a vet QB this year and that we were doomed if Wilson got hurt, now the discussion is about how JD brought in such a good backup QB that we can't even consider starting Wilson when he is healthy. Love this forum. 

Even JD didn't realize what he had in Mike White hence the Flacco move.

No one knew Mike White was a star child.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Honestly have to feel the players will be pretty pissed about this. If Wilson plays and falters this is the stuff that loses locker rooms.

Jets have 9 draft picks in the first 5 rounds next year, and almost $70M in FA money.

If the players are smart they'll worry about how well they need to  play to keep their roster spot.

Let the CS figure out who plays QB to keep their jobs. 

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Smartly worded. It could get take weeks to "fully recover." Basically, gets to punt the issue to let White throw for 400 yards a game the next 3 weeks and deal with that then. 

Exactly…he worded that PERFECTLY.

He absolutely has zero intentions in starting Wilson this week.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Jets have 9 draft picks in the first 5 rounds next year, and almost $70M in FA money.

If the players are smart they'll worry about how well they need to  play to keep their roster spot.

Let the CS figure out who plays QB to keep their jobs. 

I don’t think players consciously throw games but you can lose them through alienation all the same. If they think the coaching staff is playing an inferior player at the most important position to justify his draft pick then that’s the kind of sh*t that will cause dysfunction and finger pointing. It wont just be in the locker room either, if Wilson sucks the fans and media are now going to pile on.

Just seems a stupid decision to commit to him either way. Stick with what’s working until it isn’t. Experiment with what wasn’t when it isn’t. It’s not complicated.

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You're quite right.  Many poorly run franchise with soft-spined coaches gave in to the pressure, and played the big $$ free agent or the high pick "upside" draft pick over the guy who actually earned the job.

I hope we're not that stupid, should something good happen for us at QB with White.  

As I said, it almost assuredly won't, and we'll soon be back to squabbling about Zach Wilson and exactly how much he sucks vs. LaFluer vs. his supporting cast again, the brief period of production forgotten in a desperate attempt to bolster Zack and reject that we drafted a possible bust QB yet AGAIN, same business as always here.  See the Darnold years as an example.

What‘s worse is I think it’s stupid from a purely busienss perspective too. If White is actually good then we should be letting him show it off, he can become a serious asset either as trade bait or as a long term option here. As it stands he’ll probably just walk as a FA at the end of the season.

You lose nothing by having Wilson sit and learn. His play hasn’t been good and you can give him break. No one’s giving up on him and if he doesn’t respond well then he was likely never the guy to begin with. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Honestly have to feel the players will be pretty pissed about this. If Wilson plays and falters this is the stuff that loses locker rooms.

Given their own complete ineptitude, the defensive players have enough to be worrying about at the moment.

What will happen if Saleh loses the locker room? Will the defense give up 600 yards instead of 500? Concede 60 points instead of 51?

Start White.

Or don't start White. Honestly outside of NYJ and the fanbase, who cares about some manufactured QB controversy on a 2-6 team in yet another lost season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I don’t think players consciously throw games but you can lose them through alienation all the same. If they think the coaching staff is playing an inferior player at the most important position to justify his draft pick then that’s the kind of sh*t that will cause dysfunction and finger pointing. It wont just be in the locker room either, if Wilson sucks the fans and media are now going to pile on.

Just seems a stupid decision to commit to him either way. Stick with what’s working until it isn’t. Experiment with what wasn’t when it isn’t. It’s not complicated.

I agree it's not comlplicated.  I also agree that White should start against the Bills.

If Saleh decides to go with Wilson I really don't know how much of a locker room there is to lose on a 2-6 team.

Any players that grumble about it, just use the ole Parcells line.  "I have your bus ticket in my desk drawer."  :)

If Saleh is making decisions based on what the players think, he won't be here long.