QW is the most over rated defensive lineman in the NFL

hmhertz

14 minutes ago, HtownJet said:

He’s 26 years old.

Jordan Davis, the TE who graduated from Georgia in 2018 is 26.  Jordan Davis the DT coming out this year is 21 or 22.  Some website got the two guys confused and the rumor spread over twitter.  He is not 26.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Barton said:

Q looks like a solid solid player. But not a game wrecker. I dont see dominance. 

If the Jets did not extend him and he hit FA, what do you see another team paying him?   Would that be a playoff team or a struggling team who needs to sign players to avoid getting killed all the time?  Are the Jets one of those latter teams?

Unfortunately for Quinnen, I can see another Jets contract special here-5th year option, maybe a franchise tag, then let loose.  

24 minutes ago, varjet said:

If the Jets did not extend him and he hit FA, what do you see another team paying him?  

DT pay has gotten insane lately.  It should be Donald ($22.5M per year) and then everyone else by a wide margin.  Instead you have Leonard Williams ($21M per), DeForest Buckner ($21M per), and Chris Jones ($20M) all nipping at Donald's heels, with Jonathan Allen ($18M per), Kenny Clark ($17.5M per), Fletcher Cox ($17.1M per) and Grady Jarrett ($17M) next in line. 

Certainly, QW will attempt to command somewhere in that $20-22M range per year given his draft pedigree and Leonard Williams-esque productivity.  Whether he gets it or not is another story, but the Jets shouldn't even consider giving him that.

The 5th year option of $10.3M (or a little more, depending on performance) is fine.  But beyond that he should be allowed to hit free agency.  The franchise tag shouldn't be in consideration, as my guess is the tag will cost somewhere in the $18-19M range by then.  After all, the franchise tag value of a DT was $13.9M in 2021, and in 2022, that number goes up to $16.9M.  

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, but as I pointed out a couple times earlier in the thread, Douglas has a decision to make on QW’s $10.3M (or more) 5th year option (deadline in May 2022) and/or extension soon.  So QW being merely the 6th best DT (or so) certainly will have an impact on those decisions. 

And we all know highly drafted players command (or attempt to command) elite salaries for their positions.  So where he was drafted matters too, even though Douglas didn’t pick him.  

If i told you QW was going to be the 6th ranked DT would you draft him 3rd ?

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He’s a good player, just not a guy who takes over games 

I’d like to sign him longterm to a reasonable contract - just  depends on the money 

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

DT pay has gotten insane lately.  It should be Donald ($22.5M per year) and then everyone else by a wide margin.  Instead you have Leonard Williams ($21M per), DeForest Buckner ($21M per), and Chris Jones ($20M) all nipping at Donald's heels, with Jonathan Allen ($18M per), Kenny Clark ($17.5M per), Fletcher Cox ($17.1M per) and Grady Jarrett ($17M) next in line. 

Certainly, QW will attempt to command somewhere in that $20-22M range per year given his draft pedigree and Leonard Williams-esque productivity.  

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's not a bust.  But he's also not a guy you absolutely have to extend beyond his rookie deal.

It'll be interesting to see if Douglas gives him the 5th year option.  The deadline on that decision will be coming up in May 2022.  I believe it would cost a minimum of $10.3M.

No question at all he picks up the option. And I think he gets a second contract, too. But this is why you don't draft DTs in the top 5 - he needs to be Aaron Donald to justify that pick, and you can't count on a prospect turning into Donald.

BTW, that doesn't mean he's a bust. If he was giving us this production as a late first rounder we'd be enthused, and you can't blame the kid for Mac not having the first damn clue how to allocate assets. Folks like the OP need to get the hell over it.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, doitny said:

and this surprises you. half this board had the 2021 draft as busts after 2 weeks.

Of course

There are plenty of Jets fans who want to throw Wilson on the junk pile already in favor of Mike f*cking White.

Wilson’s 2nd half performance against the Titans (arguably the best team in the league) is more impressive than anything White or any of the other 2021 rookie QB’s have shown to date.

• Upvote 2

Some of you are completely out of your f*cking minds.  QW is a bust???? He's on pace to get 10 sacks this year as an interior DL. The guy is good. 

Was he worth the #3 overall pick? No. I don't think any DT is worth that. But that's Maccagnan's fault, not QW's. Mac had no idea whatsoever of positional value when it came to the draft. And that's a huge reason why this roster has been a mess for so long.

If they can extend him for a fair deal, then I say do it. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You really think Douglas pays him over $20M per?

Depends on what he does with his next 3 years (4th year of contract, option, franchise tag) and if he's willing to give the Jets a discount to buy out those years.

There are 3 ways Q can get a second deal from the Jets: 1) early extension with risk and upside in both directions; 2) Ball out during the rest of his time under team control and prove he deserves that 20M per (in which case, yes, Douglas gives it to him); or 3) settle in at a lower level of play that caps his demand at a more reasonable number.

There are 2 ways he doesn't get a second contract from the Jets: 1) he's a stud and the Jets get cheap; 2) there's a significant mismatch between how the Jets view Quinnen and how another NFL team does. Re that second one, the shift to this defensive system will help - we're not going to get another team looking at him miscast in the 3-4 and going "OK, but if I shift him to 3-tech in my attacking 4-3 it'll unlock his true potential" and pricing that improvement in. He'll be what he's shown.

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

i think we all would. but will he want a fair deal or just test FA and see if he could get Leo type 63 mil for 3 years type money. i dont think 10 sacks a year is worth that.

19 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Agreed.

Ironically Leonard Williams was actually pretty underrated by our fanbase and was a far better player. Didn’t quite get the sack numbers but was a constant disrupter and excellent against the run. Honestly the way people talked about him toward the end of his tenure was pretty laughable. People unironically calling him a JAG when he’s been one of the best in the game since his rookie year. He wasn’t worth the contract and drafting Q forced our hand but it’s a shame we couldn’t keep him.

Q does nothing for 95% of the game, actually gets targeted in the run game and then shows up for a few big plays which make his stat sheet look good.

I’d be far more comfortable paying Foley who’ll likely be a lot cheaper - Just a far more consistent player. I can see the JFM contract being a problem down the line but we’ll have to live with it and hope he starts making plays. 

Great post. We've been embarrassed in terms of run defense. QW has been part of the problem. Playing off blocks and stuffing the run is just as much of a skill as rushing the passer. Something Leo was very good at.

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Some of you are completely out of your f*cking minds.  QW is a bust???? He's on pace to get 10 sacks this year as an interior DL. The guy is good. 

Was he worth the #3 overall pick? No. I don't think any DT is worth that. But that's Maccagnan's fault, not QW's. Mac had no idea whatsoever of positional value when it came to the draft. And that's a huge reason why this roster has been a mess for so long.

Yea - the Jets not making the playoffs for over a decade has slowly taken its toll on this fanbase. This board is descending into reactionary madness. Everyone sucks. We have no good players. No good coaches. Saleh sucks. Douglas sucks. The color green sucks. New Jersey sucks. New York sucks. etc. It's gotten to be a little much. 

• Upvote 2