QW is the most over rated defensive lineman in the NFL

hmhertz

20 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Agreed.

Ironically Leonard Williams was actually pretty underrated by our fanbase and was a far better player. Didn’t quite get the sack numbers but was a constant disrupter and excellent against the run. Honestly the way people talked about him toward the end of his tenure was pretty laughable. People unironically calling him a JAG when he’s been one of the best in the game since his rookie year. He wasn’t worth the contract and drafting Q forced our hand but it’s a shame we couldn’t keep him.

Q does nothing for 95% of the game, actually gets targeted in the run game and then shows up for a few big plays which make his stat sheet look good.

I’d be far more comfortable paying Foley who’ll likely be a lot cheaper - Just a far more consistent player. I can see the JFM contract being a problem down the line but we’ll have to live with it and hope he starts making plays. 

zeither way, taking an interior DL who is not Aaron Donald 2X was stupidity , right up there with taking a safety over a QB. Maccaganan had NO IDEA about positional scarcity nor relative value compared to other slots. 

2 hours ago, genot said:

Great post. We've been embarrassed in terms of run defense. QW has been part of the problem. Playing off blocks and stuffing the run is just as much of a skill as rushing the passer. Something Leo was very good at.

Welcome back genot.  Your presence is requested in the Darnold threads.  Thanks in advance!  :)

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You really think Douglas pays him over $20M per?

From what we have seen of Douglas I do not think he's going to ever overpay players based on the current market because the current market and the market in general is usually full of mistakes. He would much rather get a draft pick and play that 5 year deal lotto. Defenses that are elite usually have 2 or 3 great players surrounded by good players with a few you could interchange from year to year. I think when Douglas hits on that great player he will find a way to keep him. I think QW is a good player, probably a 12 mil a year guy as it stands now and that's what Douglas offers him. If he turns it down Douglas says bye bye and goes for another cheap 5 year deal.

• Upvote 1

On 11/8/2021 at 2:49 PM, hmhertz said:

Don't pay him, he's a loafer. Guys like Donald, Simmons, Allen and even Autry chase

the play as if the hair on their nuts were on fire, Quinnen's slow jog is pathetic. If you

thought  Muhammed's effort after putting his John Hancock on a contract was grand larceny,

don't give this slacker a chance to pull a Bernie Madoff on the Jets organization

Reminds me of Leonard Williams - another slacker who only moderately improved after leaving the Jets.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's not a bust.  But he's also not a guy you absolutely have to extend beyond his rookie deal.

It'll be interesting to see if Douglas gives him the 5th year option.  The deadline on that decision will be coming up in May 2022.  I believe it would cost a minimum of $10.3M.

If you remember, at the time I wanted to keep/pay Leo and use the pick that became Q on another position of need.

The only thing that makes me feel a little better about it is that there wasn't a FQB that we passed on -- although nobody would've even advocated that after Sam's first year anyway. Sure would be nice to have (other) Josh Allen or Hockensen, but that's a bunch of hindsighting that doesn't add a lot of value.

Still think it was not the wisest allocation of resources, but probably didn't really change much.

• Upvote 1