Jets recent drafted young QBs: Why do they keep getting it wrong?

1010WINS

The names:

Mark Sanchez 

Geno Smith 

Christian Hackenberg 

Sam Darnold 

Zach Wilson 

Similarities: All these kids had talent, but were very raw.

Sanchez didn’t have many college starts, Geno played in a gimmicky college offense, Hackenberg was a total reclamation project, Sam was one of the youngest QBs ever drafted, and Zach came from mid major program. 

Fast risers: 

Sanchez and Wilson were similar in this regard. Both weren’t really on anyone’s radar heading into the season, but had big seasons and were able to climb up draft boards as a result. They also both aced the pre-draft process and their agents did a great job hyping them up through the media. 

Fallers:

Conversely at one point in time Geno Smith, Christian Hackenberg, and Sam Darnold were considered potential #1 overall picks. Hackenberg and Darnolds stock was at its pinnacle after their superb freshman season. Geno turned in a great first half of the season at WVU in 2012 and was mocked at the top of the draft as well. All three of these kids entered the NFL on a down-note and their stock took a big hit a result. Geno faded down the stretch that year, Hackenberg was terrible his last two seasons at PSU, and Darnold turned in a bad sophomore season and was exposed during his bowl game vs OSU. 

• Thumb Down 13

6 hours ago, 1010WINS said:

Fast risers: 

Sanchez and Wilson were similar in this regard. Both weren’t really on anyone’s radar heading into the season, but had big seasons and were able to climb up draft boards as a result. They also both aced the pre-draft process and their agents did a great job hyping them up through the media. 

We were hearing about ZW well before the pre-draft process, false

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

So there is no Zach army.

Look, I'm not sure what the point of this is. First you asked which army I belong to and I played along. Now you are saying there isn't  one because I'm claiming to be a fan of the team and not any one player. If you haven't  noticed some posters will rabidly  defend wilson at the slightest  criticism,  there really is no point in discussing  this further. Those are the members I was talking about.  

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Look, I'm not sure what the point of this is. First you asked which army I belong to and I played along. Now you are saying there isn't  one because I'm claiming to be a fan of the team and not any one player. If you haven't  noticed some posters will rabidly  defend wilson at the slightest  criticism,  there really is no point in discussing  this further. Those are the members I was talking about.  

I had no idea that defending your young qb made you part of a cult