Jump to content

Taunting....I mean WTF?


johnnysd
 Share

Recommended Posts

OK I get the NFL wants to focus on player safety. They are overdoing it, and really only doing it in obvious ways since the NFL wants the appearance of protecting players but in reality they dont really five a flying outside of maybe 20 players mostly QBs.

But having an emphasis on taunting?

I mean seriously who cares???

We are really going to flag professional athletes in the heat of battle with emotions and adrenaline at 11 and we are going to penalize smack talk?

I mean I don't think a single fan cares. In fact, most actually LIKE it.

In Little League we teach players to taunt the other batter or is that now outlawed too.

Deciding games on not playing nice is the most ridiculous thing ever.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big emphasis put on this and every one knew about it by this time in the year.

All sorts of dubious borderline to laughable calls on this to this point in  the year.

Therefor after a sack the guy walks towards the other teams bench with a glare at the very least if not words when pretty well everyone else was going off the field.

The idiot got what he deserved. 

Chintzy, foolish rule, borderline call?  Yup to all three.  It doesn't make that players move any less stupid.

You get a sack?  Act like you have actually gotten one before in our career.

People will all focus on this when the true reffing atrocity in this league right now is game management and roughing the passer inequities.

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Big emphasis put on this and every one knew about it by this time in the year.

All sorts of dubious borderline to laughable calls on this to this point in  the year.

Therefor after a sack the guy walks towards the other teams bench with a glare at the very least if not words when pretty well everyone else was going off the field.

The idiot got what he deserved. 

Chintzy, foolish rule, borderline call?  Yup to all three.  It doesn't make that players move any less stupid.

You get a sack?  Act like you have actually gotten one before in our career.

People will all focus on this when the true reffing atrocity in this league right now is game management and roughing the passer inequities.

 

They've been told for how long?  They've seen it flagged how many times?  And then they act like theyre in a state of dead shock when they taunt their opponents bench?  

Because they just had to express themselves

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

But having an emphasis on taunting?

I mean seriously who cares???

They used to let them go at each other until some of the overgrown children started going too far, couldn't take it themselves, and started physically attacking each other on the field often enough that it started becoming normal, and it took away from the game. Odell B was notable in that he was a regular idiot on the field, and his behavior was the final straw which brought upon the two unsportsmanlike penalties and you're out rule.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Taunting/celebration penalties are stupid as hell.

 

Let the players have some fun for god sake. This isn't tennis.

I think there’s a fine line. The guy from last night who’s been a hothead his entire career should know just to get back in the huddle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

OK I get the NFL wants to focus on player safety. They are overdoing it, and really only doing it in obvious ways since the NFL wants the appearance of protecting players but in reality they dont really five a flying outside of maybe 20 players mostly QBs.

But having an emphasis on taunting?

I mean seriously who cares???

We are really going to flag professional athletes in the heat of battle with emotions and adrenaline at 11 and we are going to penalize smack talk?

I mean I don't think a single fan cares. In fact, most actually LIKE it.

In Little League we teach players to taunt the other batter or is that now outlawed too.

Deciding games on not playing nice is the most ridiculous thing ever.

MANY of the Squeelers playoff game wins and their Super Bowls came with a LOT of help from the officials.  LOTS OF HELP.

That trend continues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think the NFL is rigged, but it's definitely swayed for TV ratings. For example, before the 2020 season the refs were told to call less Offensive holding penalties because that would make games more interesting, but it ended up leading to Patriots being more scumbags that previously thought possible, and things like Cam Jordan punching somebody because they were holding him so badly. The experiment seems to have failed, but we will never know

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This has always been a pet peeve of mine. It’s ingrained in American culture. Take baseball for example, if you hit a grand slam and show any emotion, expect the pitcher to throw a fast ball towards your head the next time you come up. And fans are not only ok with this, they expect it.

Compare that to a non-American team sport like Soccer. When those dudes score goals all hell breaks lose on the field. Shirts come off...dudes are sliding left and right...guys are piling on each other. It’ll be like a 5 minute long celebration.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

They've been told for how long?  They've seen it flagged how many times?  And then they act like theyre in a state of dead shock when they taunt their opponents bench?  

Because they just had to express themselves

So the NFL says its ok for players to “ express themselves” during the National Anthem, just not during the game?

  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, PS17 said:

Taunting rule will be one and done like the PI challenge experiment. It’s unanimously loathed. On a semi-related note I hope we see Corrente suspended for initiating contact with a player. 

With the Tuck Rule gone, the NFL needs a new way to make calls that serve the larger agenda.  After it's used to flip a playoff game, it will be discontinued, having served its purpose.  They got a lot of mileage out of the PI rule (see Rams-Saints playoff game) but it's time to shake things up.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, nycdan said:

With the Tuck Rule gone, the NFL needs a new way to make calls that serve the larger agenda.  After it's used to flip a playoff game, it will be discontinued, having served its purpose.  They got a lot of mileage out of the PI rule (see Rams-Saints playoff game) but it's time to shake things up.

Agreed. I would like to add that while the penalty seems too severe for small things, players need to remember to be nice to others. I do have a problem with some of those questionable calls though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GreenFish said:

This has always been a pet peeve of mine. It’s ingrained in American culture. Take baseball for example, if you hit a grand slam and show any emotion, expect the pitcher to throw a fast ball towards your head the next time you come up. And fans are not only ok with this, they expect it.

Compare that to a non-American team sport like Soccer. When those dudes score goals all hell breaks lose on the field. Shirts come off...dudes are sliding left and right...guys are piling on each other. It’ll be like a 5 minute long celebration.

 

I mean how many goals are there per game? Not many. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jets0712 said:

Last night it looked like the ref was digging near his pocket reaching for the flag. I really think that bump on the ref made him say. Eff it I’m gonna throw the flag now


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You mean where the ref backed into him to initiate contact, and justify throwing the flag he’d been reaching for in his pocket?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

OK I get the NFL wants to focus on player safety. They are overdoing it, and really only doing it in obvious ways since the NFL wants the appearance of protecting players but in reality they dont really five a flying outside of maybe 20 players mostly QBs.

But having an emphasis on taunting?

I mean seriously who cares???

We are really going to flag professional athletes in the heat of battle with emotions and adrenaline at 11 and we are going to penalize smack talk?

I mean I don't think a single fan cares. In fact, most actually LIKE it.

In Little League we teach players to taunt the other batter or is that now outlawed too.

Deciding games on not playing nice is the most ridiculous thing ever.

Or maybe they can use their brain and leave the smack talk for Twitter battles?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, GreenFish said:

This has always been a pet peeve of mine. It’s ingrained in American culture. Take baseball for example, if you hit a grand slam and show any emotion, expect the pitcher to throw a fast ball towards your head the next time you come up. And fans are not only ok with this, they expect it.

Compare that to a non-American team sport like Soccer. When those dudes score goals all hell breaks lose on the field. Shirts come off...dudes are sliding left and right...guys are piling on each other. It’ll be like a 5 minute long celebration.

 

Soccer players get booked if they take their shirts off (at least in some countries). They can also get booked for time wasting.

Also, once the ball is on the centre spot after a goal, the referee is free to restart play whenever he wishes. If the other team are still celebrating then too bad. :D  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...