Mims Lands on Covid Reserve List; Jets Protect FB for Sunday’s Contest

JetNation

Denzel Mims

Last week Denzel Mims struggled to catch the football, and now it seems this week that he can’t catch a break as the receiver has landed on the Reserve/Covid19 list.

#Jets WR Denzel Mims has been placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) November 9, 2021

With wide receiver Corey Davis likely to return this Sunday, Mims was likely headed back to the bench, but the last thing he needed was another reason to not see the field.

In somewhat of a surprise move, the Jets protected 3 practice squad players this week, one of which is fullback Nick Bawden.  Bawden’s only two career starts came in 2019 as a member of the Detroit Lions.  With tight end Tyler Kroft on the shelf, this could be a move that allows the Jets to move Trevon Wesco to tight end while Bawden takes on the fullback role.

The Jets also protected tight end Kenny Yeboah and defensive lineman Jabari Zuinga.  Yeboah, an undrafted free agent out of Mississippi is yet to play an offensive snap this season and outside of a sack in his 2021 debut, Zuniga has been rather pedestrian up to this point.

The post Mims Lands on Covid Reserve List; Jets Protect FB for Sunday’s Contest appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/hlErYJzxzbA

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, DonCorleone said:

I don't think that we will see Mims in a Jet uniform next season. 

Disagree. A rookie contract locked up, cheap  6'4 with his speed. Has shown promise. Cole can walk next year. Crazy weird season coming out of Covid where he's had food poising and now Covid. Dont see it happening next season

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I haven't been impressed w/the guy at all but the comment I quoted was in response to Mims being on the covid list. 

No, the comment you quoted said:

I don't think that we will see Mims in a Jet uniform next season. 

Pretty sure that comment had nothing to do with Covid and everything to do with Mims and his lack of production. 

On 11/10/2021 at 8:47 AM, Nixhead said:

Nobody will be complaining when Mims is inactive for more games this season. Its always something with this guy. Next time another team wants to trade for Mims I think JD might listen.

I will be complaining.  It's hard for me to except with how productive last years WR class has been that we could have randomely picked the one bust in the second round.  

Just now, Biggs said:

I will be complaining.  It's hard for me to except with how productive last years WR class has been that we could have randomely picked the one bust in the second round.  

When Chase Claypool was sitting there and JD traded back.

And that's not hindsight, I don't have a table I bang during the draft but I really wanted him.  Saw him play live at ND and he was special.  Should have been the pick.

Not giving up on Mims, I still think he has a chance to be a real good playmaker but something just seems off about him.  I hop he gets the negative tests and plays this week.  

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

And that's not hindsight, I don't have a table I bang during the draft but I really wanted him.  Saw him play live at ND and he was special.  Should have been the pick.

Not giving up on Mims, I still think he has a chance to be a real good playmaker but something just seems off about him.  I hop he gets the negative tests and plays this week.  

Hey, it's OK...with the extra picks we got in the trade down, we picked James Morgan and Cameron Clarke.

Oh.

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2021 at 11:17 AM, Peace Frog said:

And 3/4s of the board either wanted Mims or was pissed we traded down thinking we missed out on him

On 11/10/2021 at 6:50 AM, DonCorleone said:

I don't think that we will see Mims in a Jet uniform next season. 

Yup.  And I got news for ya:  I don't think we see Mims in any NFL uniform next season.  Think other teams haven't noticed "a problem like Maria" with Mims?   Only folks still drinking the Mims Kool-Aid exist on this board.

8933b7ae-dbb4-41f1-b510-dec30c233bda_tex

22 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m interested in seeing if this protected fullback actually gets some playing time this year.  That could be a nice wrinkle for White to utilize as the season progresses.   

Been digging up whatever i could find about him. Seems like an interesting prospect who’s more of a natural FB than Wesco and can catch the ball. He even played QB in HS which could allow us to throw in a few wrinkles.

• Upvote 2

Just now, GreenFish said:

Been digging up whatever i could find about him. Seems like an interesting prospect who’s more of a natural FB than Wesco and can catch the ball. He even played QB in HS which could allow us to throw in a few wrinkles.

Good to know.  Thanks.  A competent FB will allow LaFleur to get a little more creative in the running game.  People are wondering why this rushing attack doesn’t look like the 49ers, and it’s because there is no FB here.  

• Upvote 2

On 11/10/2021 at 9:17 AM, Copernicus said:

Disagree. A rookie contract locked up, cheap  6'4 with his speed. Has shown promise. Cole can walk next year. Crazy weird season coming out of Covid where he's had food poising and now Covid. Dont see it happening next season

I agree - the hate this kid gets is unreasonable. He didn't drive drunk and kill someone, he doesn't even have a bad attitude. He is, like many WRs coming into this league, struggling. If the Jets are dumb enough to cut him, someone will pick him up.

Worse, people are hating on this 24 year old simply because they don't like JD and JD drafted him. It is like all of the jokes about Carter being too short (calling him names) - we don't hear them now because it doesn't support the narrative of JD sucking. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

I agree - the hate this kid gets is unreasonable. He didn't drive drunk and kill someone, he doesn't even have a bad attitude. He is, like many WRs coming into this league, struggling. If the Jets are dumb enough to cut him, someone will pick him up.

Worse, people are hating on this 24 year old simply because they don't like JD and JD drafted him. It is like all of the jokes about Carter being too short (calling him names) - we don't hear them now because it doesn't support the narrative of JD sucking. 

True in all regards.