Mike F’n White starting Sunday

Rhg1084

50 minutes ago, 1010WINS said:

What about those throws in the Titans game? Kid can ball. 

Yes Zach Wilson is one of ~50 guys currently on NFL rosters that can make incredible football throws. Too bad only about 15 of those can do it with a reasonable level of consistency.

• Upvote 2

Quite honestly, there's really no other move that would have made any sense for the team at this point.  Even if Wilson is still the guy the team wanted to go all-in on for the team's future, forcing him out there while still not fully healed and going up against a top defense, following the Jets' 2 best weeks of offensive football with backup QBs, would be a recipe for disaster.  Anything short of Wilson completely lighting the Bills up would only bring more questions to the team from every direction.

Even if they want to hand the starting job back to Wilson, they might as well put him in the best position to succeed when they do that.  On the other hand, if they are considering Wilson having to fight for, and potentially lose, the starting job, then there's no reason to do anything at this moment.  As it is, the injury provides the perfect opportunity for them to kick that can down the road a bit, as they don't have to make any formal commitment right now.  How White does this week could suddenly make the future decision an easier one in either direction.  They only potential "negative" outcome of this move would be if they were hoping to hand Wilson the job back next week, and then instead proceed to watch White tear the Bills apart, but that sounds like a pretty good problem to have.

With all of that said... LET US ALL BASK IN THE UTLIMATE LEGENDARY FRANCHSIE MIKE MOTHER F'N WHITE!!!!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Before I read this thread, Damien Woody posted his thoughts on Twitter about it and basically said “Can’t fool the guys in the locker room”.

Some obviously intelligent, likely incredibly handsome fan asked this in follow up, because I assume that fan is always interested in how players perceive things as opposed to fans.

He was gracious enough to reply.  I truly think this can be viewed as a win/win.  Zach gets some time to grow and learn. We also get a chance to build some confidence as a team and get real glimpses of what other young players are capable of.

Yeah, I think Woody's point here is one that constantly gets lost among a lot of fans.

It was no different when Bowles was getting crapped all over for not forcing Hackenberg out there, when it turned out the entirely of the NFL agreed with him.  Or Saleh criticized for not benching better receivers in favor of Mims, who has proceeded to prove him right these past few weeks.  The team has to be considering how these moves impact the rest of the roster too, not just whatever guys others may be most infatuated with.

Now granted, QB at times may get by as a little bit of an exception, particularly when you're talking about a young "franchise" guy as opposed to a declining old vet.  Even then, we've historically seen some other teams oppose those decisions if the one getting played ends up being a complete bust.  I'd imagine that's tougher to sell to the players in this particular circumstance, with it being between 2 young guys.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Matt had a 46% completion percentage in '78, you may want to rephrase statement "played well."

True - but it was a completely different game back in the 70's. Many of the top QB's during that time had comp pct's in the 50's. Factor in the Jets were a poor to fair team during that time and specifically in 78 were geared towards a running game. Gaines, Harper and Dierking - I would take that trio today in a heartbeat.  

If White performs well against a good Bill's team, after an embarrassing loss. Why would we all feel that White can't perform that way on a regular basis. A poster said he was a journeyman. This is his 3rd year in the league. Not a journeyman. An untested QB, with talent, who now has his shot to prove himself. I'm exited.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, genot said:

If White performs well against a good Bill's team, after an embarrassing loss. Why would we all feel that White can't perform that way on a regular basis. A poster said he was a journeyman. This is his 3rd year in the league. Not a journeyman. An untested QB, with talent, who now has his shot to prove himself. I'm exited.

and let's just go with he does prove himself - that is going to be a nice position for the jets to be in. You will have two young qb's - one who shows tremendous talent but may simply not be ready and another who would have played the better part of a year and is NFL quality. That simply does not happen to this franchise so let's enjoy it while it lasts. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

This was the only logical move.

Starting Zach would make zero sense in this situation.

I agree again with FJ (what?! ;) No need to start Zach coming off injury against Buffalo's D. MW will most likely struggle and then Zach will come in and be the QB for the next decade + hopefully. I mean, taking the underneath stuff isn't rocket science and he has the talent to throw downfield too. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Jet fans typically hold onto hope for their highly drafted young QBs with religious conviction…

…this is rare where we are unanimously in favor of the lowly drafted journeyman backup QB to start.

I like it!

Well...  For me, the larger issue is whether or not Wilson is going to get the bench training he needed to begin with.  Starting White is an empty shell unless it means Wilson is being prepared for the role he failed to perform without the needed coaching and will fail at again unless rectified.  He should sit and learn for the rest of the season be it White or Flacco assuming the starting role.   I don't have much hope as I dont see any QB coach on the Jets that is going to be able to do the job.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yup.  I laid it out in another thread.  White will start and play well Sunday.  He will then start and win the next 3 games vs Miami, Texans and Eagles.  He will lose vs the Saints and Wilson will start the last 4 games.

The Jets have 2 qbs to evaluate now.  This is the perfect season to do that.

If Mike White wins us the next 4 games then he's the starter for the remainder of the season.  QB competition in the summer with Mike White having the edge.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I see Wilson as a physically better talent. I see White as a more experienced and prepared player…as he should be after 3+ years of training camps, practices and professional coaching.

Having Wilson watch for another week or two helps him learn and start to climb the ladder of experience that Mike White has already benefitted from.

I understand what you’re trying to say here, but I’m not sure I agree.

if we were talking about someone like Andy Dalton or Nick Foles, yeah, I’m with you 100%, but we’re talking about Mike White. 
To me, it’s pretty damning that the #2 pick in the draft (rookie or not) hasn’t looked head and shoulders better than a PS guy we cut 4x last year and Josh Johnson.

Then I’m seeing some of Saleh’s quotes in here. It doesn’t sound like he’s saying Zach isn’t healthy yet,and that’s why he isn’t playing. He seems to be saying White is the better QB, the team wants him to start, and he agrees.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The Flacco trade was so totally obvious a panic move.  It showed the Jets despite all the lip service did not think white could do the job and that johsnon who looked good last game could not function either.

The loss of a draft pick for flacco is one thing but the totally obvious panic move by douglas is worse.

Yup....And any one of us might have done the same thing.  

image.jpeg.680d2225b718a96bd55f509a0c0100b5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Flashlite80 said:

Good Move.  Get a good read on Mike White against another top defense.  Best chance to evaluate offense against a top defense.  Need to be concerned about development of Elijah Moore, Michael Carter too.

Wilson would be rushing back.  Unlikely to succeed against a Buffalo defense at this point.  Give him the extra week.  Better to ease him in versus Dolphins, Texans and Eagles.  

Best case, we develop a franchise quarterback with a solid #2.  That's what winners have.

Read the room… If White plays well, you aren’t going to see Wilson next week.