Mike F’n White starting Sunday

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Exactly. White and Wilson are in two different places in their careers. There is a reason the Niners and Bears started the year with their crappy old vets. It's because no matter how crappy a vet is, they are likely more prepared to run an offense than a rookie. 

The lord and savior Trevor Lawrence has struggled a ton as well. That doesn't mean Lawrence isn't good or won't be great. It's just that it takes time. 

Now do Burrow, Herbert, Lamar Jackson Mac Jones and Mayfield

1 hour ago, peebag said:

eh, either way it's "can miss" football viewing this Sunday.

And when is the last time we could say that about a Jets game in November?  This season has had it's ups and downs, but much more enjoyable and memorable.  Which is also an awful reference point to how low the bar is for Jets fans these days lol.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The Bills Defense must be sh!tting bricks as soon as they heard they're facing White Lightning at MetLife...err I mean the White House. 

Hmmmm. You might be on to something here. If the Jets were smart they dress in all white and hand out white tee shirts to everyone on Sunday.

Lets make this a Penn St type white out game!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

Hmmmm. You might be on to something here. If the Jets were smart they dress in all white and hand out white tee shirts to everyone on Sunday.

Lets make this a Penn St type white out game!

And some idiot in the media promotions department thinks it's a great idea to call Sunday "A Day for White Supreme!".

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Weird how check down Chad is so popular now. 

Glad we don't have a dumb low IQ Chad that would risk throwing the ball near the sticks where all the defenders are but rather throw the underneath/checkdown that was open all day.

I think Saleh is being truthful when he says Wilson is not fully healed, but I think it’s also obvious he thinks White give them the best chance to win.  White had an uplifting effect on the whole team in the Cincinnati and Colts games.  You could see it on the field and on the sidelines. For example, I was watching the sideline during the Bengals game, and after White got out of the medical tent after missing some plays because of his neck, the camera focused on him on the sideline looking at his tablet.  All of a sudden, Keenan Cole rushed up to him and you could clearly read his lips saying, “Are you back Mike? Are you back?” White nodded his head and Cole rushed away smiling. This is not a trivial thing. And it’s not a slight against Wilson, as some want to make it out to be. Mahomes sat on the bench virtually his entire rookie year to soak things up.  Nothing wrong with having Wilson sit and watch if White is playing well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

good spot for the Jets, IMHO... Bills looking ragged, Jets showing some life offensively/ granted, johnson had garbage time points, but, the play calling was way better than it has been. IF, I said, IF, offense plays  as good as it has last 2 weeks and Bills offense(which is nothing to write home about) still ragged, then Jets are in this game to the finish.

Would love some LONG PASSES for a change, might even help the short sh*t that's been prevalent, but effective, work that much better.

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Maybe 1/4 of the fanbase is abandoning Zach Wilson. The rest of the fanbase understands that Zach Wilson is not the guy right this second. Seeing Mike White emerge as a viable starter is independent of what we feel about Zach Wilson in the future. Two things can be simultaneously true. 

yup.. if Wilson never got hurt everyone would still be bashing JD for this "back-up qb" neglect as they were. It appears White can play, or at least be a serviceable backup - which is a good thing.

No need to put Wilson back in before he is 1000% healthy, and that is assuming White is paying horribly. 

I hope White goes out and looks like he did 2 weeks ago, I mean it would be nice to have a QB. I would also be ok if Wilson plays lights out and proves to be a FQB. Wilson and White - starter and backup for years to come. Thats a problem I am okay having.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I think Saleh is being truthful when he says Wilson is not fully healed, but I think it’s also obvious he thinks White give them the best chance to win.  White had an uplifting effect on the whole team in the Cincinnati and Colts games.  You could see it on the field and on the sidelines. For example, I was watching the sideline during the Bengals game, and after White got out of the medical tent after missing some plays because of his neck, the camera focused on him on the sideline looking at his tablet.  All of a sudden, Keenan Cole rushed up to him and you could clearly read his lips saying, “Are you back Mike? Are you back?” White nodded his head and Cole rushed away smiling. This is not a trivial thing. And it’s not a slight against Wilson, as some want to make it out to be. Mahomes sat on the bench virtually his entire rookie year to soak things up.  Nothing wrong with having Wilson sit and watch if White is playing well. 

Except it’s nothing like when Mahomes sat while Smith played. Everyone knew Mahomes was the future. Not the aging vet.

White is 26 years old, and getting his shot. He is going out there thinking one thing. He wants to win the NYJ QB job.

30 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Lamar Jackson started his first game week 10 of his rookie year. So probably shouldn't be on  your list of players that were ready from day 1. 

Regardless, I never said that rookie QBs CAN'T start day 1 and do great, just that vets are often more prepared to do well. Fields, Lance, Wilson and Lawrence have all struggled when given the chance to play this year (Wilson flashed in 1 game and Fields has had a couple of good moments recently). I know you live in the twitter world where you need instant gratification and Wilson hasn't given you that so you are sad. 

But I am pretty confident that at least 1 or 2 of Wilson/Lawrence/Fields/Lance will be really good QBs even if they weren't great from day 1 like Herbert and Burrow. 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Lamar Jackson started his first game week 10 of his rookie year. So probably shouldn't be on  your list of players that were ready from day 1. 

Regardless, I never said that rookie QBs CAN'T start day 1 and do great, just that vets are often more prepared to do well. Fields, Lance, Wilson and Lawrence have all struggled when given the chance to play this year (Wilson flashed in 1 game and Fields has had a couple of good moments recently). I know you live in the twitter world where you need instant gratification and Wilson hasn't given you that so you are sad. 

But I am pretty confident that at least 1 or 2 of Wilson/Lawrence/Fields/Lance will be really good QBs even if they weren't great from day 1 like Herbert and Burrow. 

FYI

I’ve never been, nor will I ever be on Twitter. (or Facebook and tik tok)

100% Boomer

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Weird how check down Chad is so popular now. 

Perhaps if Chad was a dirt cheap backup instead of a wildly overpaid, noodle-armed, douchetastic, china doll, it may've been a different story.

Even then, there may still be an ever-so-slight difference in hitting a WR in full stride on early downs, in comparison to celebrating the completion percentage of throwing a 1 yard dump-off to a FB on third and long.

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Lamar Jackson

37th ranked QB his rookie year

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/passing.htm

This is stupid - QB's progress at different paces and are all in different situations.

HOF QB's often have awful rookies years...guys that have really good rookie years often end up sucking.  Guys that have awful rookie years often end up being awful...

5 weeks of playing football on an NFL team with a new coach, new system, the most rookies in the league and the youngest team in the league is really no way to judge a young QB.  It's beyond silly to really try.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

People yelling out windows meant one thing when I was a kid.  It meant get your a** home. The water was boiling and they were going to throw the macaroni in.

I can still hear the various mothers in my neighborhood calling their kids in for dinner.   Then, older brothers like me were commissioned to go find our younger siblings when they didn't answer or come home.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Perhaps if Chad was a dirt cheap backup instead of a wildly overpaid, noodle-armed, douchetastic, china doll, it may've been a different story.

Even then, there may still be an ever-so-slight difference in hitting a WR in full stride on early downs, in comparison to celebrating the completion percentage of throwing a 1 yard dump-off to a FB on third and long.

Not really the point.

If people hated Chad for checking down - but are now fawning over Mike White and looking to him as the future FQB this team has been searching - he has a point.

Sure, if Mike White was being viewed around here as a great back up - I agree with you----but that's not what's going on - he's being crowned by many for looking good after 4 quarters of checking down.

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

I will be too, I just want to see him so it against a real team before I anoint him king.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No one should announcing anyone king, lol, not till they have a real resume to warrant it. Not White. Not Wilson.

bHDKLr.gif

Only with the Jets, the "king" will be pulling the sword out of Woody's ass.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Not really the point.

If people hated Chad for checking down - but are now fawning over Mike White and looking to him as the future FQB this team has been searching - he has a point.

Sure, if Mike White was being viewed around here as a great back up - I agree with you----but that's not what's going on - he's being crowned by many for looking good after 4 quarters of checking down.

If White proceeds to get crowned as the Jets long-term starter, is paid big money, and then continually sucks for the following 5 years straight while this turns out to have been the very highest point of his career, then it might be a worthwhile comparison, as I suspect along the way he may just lose a tiny bit of the (mostly deliberately hyperbolic) current support he's getting as backup QB.