Mike F’n White starting Sunday

Rhg1084

1 minute ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Happy with that decision.

The offense looked like an actual offense under him. He deserves the rest of the season IMO. 

Let Wilson sit and learn,  he clearly wasnt ready.

And if White plays badly this week and next, just start him the rest of the season regardless?  The overreactions and proclamations on this board are both ridiculous and hilarious.  The NFL changes so much week to week, but some want to base season long and career decisions on one game.  Unreal.  

• Upvote 4

In order to get a good read on White, the Jets' D is going to have to play MUCH better then they have in the last month.

If the score is 28-0 at the end of the first quarter, the Bills aren't going to care about 3-4 yard completions.  White puts up 300+ yards and loses, 56-24, it doesn't mean squat.

If the score is 10-7 at the half, White is really going to have to play sharp ball to keep the Jets in the game.

Hope the D really steps up this week, so I can get a good feel of who White is in a contested game.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

If White proceeds to get crowned as the Jets long-term starter, is paid big money, and then continually sucks for the following 5 years straight while this turns out to have been the very highest point of his career, then it might be a worthwhile comparison, as I suspect along the way he may just lose a tiny bit of the (mostly deliberately hyperbolic) current support he's getting as backup QB.

That's the thing though - Chad didn't suck.  Chad won playoff games.  Yet, got destroyed around here for playing precisely the way Mike What is being adored and glorified.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Trotter said:

True - but it was a completely different game back in the 70's. Many of the top QB's during that time had comp pct's in the 50's. Factor in the Jets were a poor to fair team during that time and specifically in 78 were geared towards a running game. Gaines, Harper and Dierking - I would take that trio today in a heartbeat.  

Outside of Todd's Rookie campaign, he never threw under 50%. 

Matt Robinson's handlebar mustache was one of the coolest thing I ever saw at that time, he just wasn't a good QB.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I think Saleh is wise to consider what the rest of the team wants and needs.  It was obvious that the team responded to White and was genuinely happy for him.  

This is a big plus for Saleh in the HC column. It was also a big break for Saleh as it provides a smooth reason to have Wilson sit and learn while healing as White hopefully continues to play well. Ideally Wilson learns and shows he's more than capable of taking what the defense gives him, and striking big when it's there. At that point you could flip White for at least a first provided he continues to play well, and that's if he just doesn't blow you away and force himself into the Jets long term starter role. Yes, if he continues to play well some team will be more than happy to trade a first for him as he's a QB, and not a box safety.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That's the thing though - Chad didn't suck.  Chad won playoff games.  Yet, got destroyed around here for playing precisely the way Mike What is being adored and glorified.

A couple of his injuries really debilitated Chad's ability to compete at the highest level.  Just could not make that sideline throw any longer.   Good QB.  Even better person.  He deserves a better legacy.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

A couple of his injuries really debilitated Chad's ability to compete at the highest level.  Just could not make that sideline throw any longer.   Good QB.  Even better person.  He deserves a better legacy.

Chad throwing 18 yard darts to Lav Coles was one of my favorite sights.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Except it’s nothing like when Mahomes sat while Smith played. Everyone knew Mahomes was the future. Not the aging vet.

White is 26 years old, and getting his shot. He is going out there thinking one thing. He wants to win the NYJ QB job.

And if this continues he will have to win that job on a weekly basis for another year and a half at least.  There is no way White wins the starting job for 2022 this season.  I'm not rooting against him. I'm just stating reality.  It takes 2-3 years to evaluate a QB and the Jets are not going to discard Wilson that quickly.  

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

He deserves the rest of the season IMO. 

I disagree. I think he earned the next start, and he'll get to earn the one after that with his play on the field. One game and a drive doesn't mean the season is his. Ride the hot hand. If White falters, not loses, but rather plays like sh*t then you reevaluate the starter for the following week. Think of them as pitchers. 

This organization is going to lift you up

https://youtu.be/5RVgtwq5xmA

what a clown shoes operation  

Saleh is lost and grasping

the only reason to watch anymore is morbid curiosity  

Telling the world the locker room wants white may be the worst possible thing he could have said 

moron

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The guy I feel bad for here is Josh Johnson. He can clearly be a QB2, a decent backup in this league. And, he is already on the Jets roster.

JD and the Jets have really failed at managing the QB depth chart. They would clearly be prepared with Mike White, Zach Wilson, and Josh Johnson for the season.

Flacco was a panic move and potentially a waste of a pick because the Jets were not knowledgeable or informed enough about the capabilities of quarterbacks already on THEIR OWN ROSTER in Mike White and Johnson.

In all the Mike White hysteria, what is getting lost is that Johnson played nearly as well vs Indy as White did vs Cincy.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

That's just another tired argument still trying to defend a guy who has been off the team for over a decade, with an attempted false equivalence being drawn to a 2-year practice squad player upgraded to backup, where the latter still set multiple marks in his first ever start that the former was incapable of ever reaching throughout his entire pro career.

The significant difference in expectation levels of those incomparable circumstances comes nowhere close to telling the story you want it to.  That's before even getting into your point being based entirely on a series of deliberately optimistic exaggerations about a single game of a backup QB.

Now perhaps it's time for you to prepare to stand in the true awe of the almighty dominance that is the greatest in all of professional sports history, Mike f'n White.

• Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And if this continues he will have to win that job on a weekly basis for another year and a half at least.  There is no way White wins the starting job for 2022 this season.  I'm not rooting against him. I'm just stating reality.  It takes 2-3 years to evaluate a QB and the Jets are not going to discard Wilson that quickly.  

I don’t know about that.

Im not saying White can or will do it, but if a guy like him were to string 8 or 9 solid performances together, I’d think any smart organization is going to look at that player VERY differently than as a long term backup. That’s how you got a Brady and a Warner. Guys come in, open eyes, and change narratives.

There would come a point where the roles reversed, and that’s when you would look at the high draft pick as an asset you could use in a trade.

At this point I think the Jets main concern is to find a viable starter, not to assuage Wilson’s feelings. It doesn’t matter if it turns out to be the 25 or the 21 year old.

10 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

In all the Mike White hysteria, what is getting lost is that Johnson played nearly as well vs Indy as White did vs Cincy.  

Shame on anyone who is losing that in the hysteria.
In fact it’s been eye opening for a lot of us. It’s  raised more concerns about Wilson than the poor play he’d shown before he got hurt.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t know about that.

Im not saying White can or will do it, but if a guy like him were to string 8 or 9 solid performances together, I’d think any smart organization is going to look at that player VERY differently than as a long term backup. That’s how you got a Brady and a Warner. Guys come in, open eyes, and change narratives.

There would come a point where the roles reversed, and that’s when you would look at the high draft pick as an asset you could use in a trade.

At this point I think the Jets main concern is to find a viable starter, not to assuage Wilson’s feelings. It doesn’t matter if it turns out to be the 25 or the 21 year old.

Honestly, if mike white proves himself to be a viable backup that’s big money for him and his family for ten more years. 

27 minutes ago, Larz said:

This organization is going to lift you up

https://youtu.be/5RVgtwq5xmA

what a clown shoes operation  

Saleh is lost and grasping

the only reason to watch anymore is morbid curiosity  

Telling the world the locker room wants white may be the worst possible thing he could have said 

moron

I agree. I was shocked he went there. He didn’t have to, all he needed to say was Zach needed more time.

But he didn’t, and that spoke volumes IMO 

7 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

"Yeah, but White is the hot hand"....and you got to play the hot hand apparently, except when the hot hand has a fore-arm injury and his back up comes in and throws 3 touchdowns.

For some reason, that second back up QB is only the 'luke warm hand', and gets demoted behind the other old guy who came in off the street two weeks ago. The same guy you traded a pick for because you had so much faith in the 'hot hand guy'.

4 minutes ago, Wit said:

Honestly, if mike white proves himself to be a viable backup that’s big money for him and his family for ten more years. 

Yeah, but a lot of you guys are living in a fantasy world here.

Mike White’s goal isn’t to be our backup for the next 10 years. This is his shot. He’s going for the brass ring.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

In order to get a good read on White, the Jets' D is going to have to play MUCH better then they have in the last month.

If the score is 28-0 at the end of the first quarter, the Bills aren't going to care about 3-4 yard completions.  White puts up 300+ yards and loses, 56-24, it doesn't mean squat.

If the score is 10-7 at the half, White is really going to have to play sharp ball to keep the Jets in the game.

Hope the D really steps up this week, so I can get a good feel of who White is in a contested game.

Not sure I'd agree with the logic of this kind of preemptive dismissal of potentially objectively good play based only on the D playing poorly.

I think we can evaluate White (or Wilson) objectively even in light of poor Defensive performance.