Mike F’n White starting Sunday

Rhg1084

39 minutes ago, Larz said:

This organization is going to lift you up

https://youtu.be/5RVgtwq5xmA

what a clown shoes operation  

Saleh is lost and grasping

the only reason to watch anymore is morbid curiosity  

Telling the world the locker room wants white may be the worst possible thing he could have said 

moron

This is true. Unless White absolutely tanks, how do you go back to Wilson next week? If White is just ok and puts up 280 yards, two TDS, and keeps the team in the game late against the Bills, what do you do? 

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yup.  I laid it out in another thread.  White will start and play well Sunday.  He will then start and win the next 3 games vs Miami, Texans and Eagles.  He will lose vs the Saints and Wilson will start the last 4 games.

The Jets have 2 qbs to evaluate now.  This is the perfect season to do that.

So, if we go 3-1, that gives us a valid reason to bench White.  Wow!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Wit said:

Honestly, if mike white proves himself to be a viable backup that’s big money for him and his family for ten more years. 

Exactly.  Remember Matt Flynn. 

Started last game of the season for the Packers while they rested Aaron Rodgers. Threw for 480 and 6 TDs in what was his 2nd career start.  Turned that one start into a big FA deal with Seattle.  Only to get beat out by rookie Russell Wilson.  Never heard much of him after that,  but that one game made him fianncially secure for life.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Exactly.  Remember Matt Flynn. 

Started last game of the season for the Packers while they rested Aaron Rodgers. Threw for 480 and 6 TDs in what was his 2nd career start.  Turned that one start into a big FA deal with Seattle.  Only to get beat out by rookie Russell Wilson.  Never heard much of him after that,  but that one game made him fianncially secure for life.

Yeah this is true and likely a similar outcome for White but will be fun to see. White is likely to struggle Sunday and this board will lose their minds/

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Claymation said:

All summer long I read from the likes of Peter King that the Jets need to trade for Nick Foles. People in the forum were banging the table for a veteran QB. Maybe, just maybe this FO knew what they had in the Great White Hope and that's why they chose not to pursue a player like Foles. They brought Flacco backo to be White's understudy.

I hope they sign White to a multiyear contract, ie. 5-7M for 3 years with 10-14 million guaranteed. Losing White for a draft pick would be a complete disaster by this FO.

Sorry but I don't buy that.  If that is the case, they should have started him and let Wilson get acclimated to the game. Instead they through Wilson to the wolves and the only reason we are talking about White is because of Wilsons' injury.  They got lucky; no one and I mean NO ONE, expected White to play as well as he did a few weeks ago.  Not saying we expected him to be terrible but 400 yards etc.?  No f'n way.   

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

He's only 26 and came out the 5th round....(been with the Jets for 2 years, only other team was Cowboys for one year)

If hes the real deal, he could be a long term answer

Yea...hes not really a "journeyman" when he only has 1 start, a half game and a few seconds.

My point is nobody knows what he can do as a starting nfl qb. He is an unknown so yes I am happy to test the waters here maybe we will get lucky

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am rooting for White.  Just not ready to anoint him starter material just yet.  But he has a golden opportunity to build an NFL career for himself right now.  Whether that is for us or elsewhere, starter or backup, remains to be seen. 

After watching some of our backups over the past several years, watching White has been a refreshing change and a fun story to follow.  And there have not been nearly enough fun stories involving Jets in recent years.

Me too. I don't have a favorite in the QB "wars" I just want someone to be a franchise guy. White has even passed the eye test so far so we will see. Odds are that it was just an outlying game and won't be repeated but you never know. I do think all the people confidently saying "Zach was not ready" are wrong. The last two games have had a completely different approach to the way they were stuctured and called. Saleh's comments this morning about "running the system" suggest to me that he is a lot like all the other defensive minded head coaches we have had and just wants the QB not to lose. So I am not convinced either that LaFleur will be sticking with the more open game plan. It is interesting to me how many people hate Zach. Kinda sad.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, 1010WINS said:

This is bad news. Zach is our franchise QB not Mike White. 

Who thought that UDFA's Kurt Warner, Warren Moon or Tony Romo would be franchise QB's?

Or thought 4th round draft picks Joe Theismann, Dak Prescott or Kirk Cousins would be franchise QB's?

How about late rounders Roger Staubach, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell or Brad Johnson, all of which won or played in a Super Bowl?  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I see Wilson as a physically better talent. I see White as a more experienced and prepared player…as he should be after 3+ years of training camps, practices and professional coaching.

Ah so Adam Gase is now considered "professional coaching" these days?  @T0mShane

According to @Uncle Nicco and @BornJetsFan1983, Darnold was ruined by Gase beyond repair.  But here Mike White is, thriving.  

3 minutes ago, Uncle Nicco said:

Through 4 games this year Darnold was the comeback player of the year and a dark horse mvp candidate. Now he’s a bum who will never start again. Mike white has played 1 game, let’s not count our chickens yet. 

Once Sam ran out of Gase-juice, he was finished

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Uncle Nicco said:

Through 4 games this year Darnold was the comeback player of the year and a dark horse mvp candidate. Now he’s a bum who will never start again. Mike white has played 1 game, let’s not count our chickens yet. 

Sam Darnold's career 400+ yard games:  0. 

Funny how Darnold's career high (341 yards) is the same as Pennington's, who I just talked about in the previous post.

Darnold also only has White beat on 3-TD games by a 3-1 margin, too.  To have only three starts with 3+ TD's in the modern NFL, with 47 career starts under your belt, is pathetic.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is true. Unless White absolutely tanks, how do you go back to Wilson next week? If White is just ok and puts up 280 yards, two TDS, and keeps the team in the game late against the Bills, what do you do? 

You tell Mike White he is the starter for the rest of the season.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

You tell Mike White he is the starter for the rest of the season.

Agreed. Mike White can build confidence in the team much better than Zach right now. Zach can be the future, but Mike White is the now.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Sorry but I don't buy that.  If that is the case, they should have started him and let Wilson get acclimated to the game. Instead they through Wilson to the wolves and the only reason we are talking about White is because of Wilsons' injury.  They got lucky; no one and I mean NO ONE, expected White to play as well as he did a few weeks ago.  Not saying we expected him to be terrible but 400 yards etc.?  No f'n way.   

Both the CS and FO believed in White and chose not to sign a Vet because of that. They traded for Flacco because they didn’t believe in Josh Johnson.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Who thought that UDFA's Kurt Warner, Warren Moon or Tony Romo would be franchise QB's?

Or thought 4th round draft picks Joe Theismann, Dak Prescott or Kirk Cousins would be franchise QB's?

How about late rounders Roger Staubach, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell or Brad Johnson, all of which won or played in a Super Bowl?  

Exactly. Why can't the QB we've been searching for all our lives be someone from another team's scrap heap, who just needed an opportunity? 

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure why people are talking about a QB controversy.

The obvious answer is to begin playing the very under-utilized 2-QB set. You can set the QBs in an I, off set I, even a pro-set. McGovern gets to chose to whom he gives the ball on the snap. With 2 QBs on the field, opposing defences will have no idea who to rush. This should lead to less sacks and more time for whichever QB has the ball to find an open receiver.

• Haha 1

Staubach had to serve as an officer in the Navy for 4 years prior to starting his football career, hence him being a 10th round pick.

I understand your point, but White has played 1 full game. I am going to have to see more from White than 1 game and 2 for 6 in tight throws.

4 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And if White plays badly this week and next, just start him the rest of the season regardless?  The overreactions and proclamations on this board are both ridiculous and hilarious.  The NFL changes so much week to week, but some want to base season long and career decisions on one game.  Unreal.  

No, you start White the rest of the year regardless.

Because Zack Wilson was the worst QB in the league and shouldnt have started at all this season.

Let Mike White take the lumps this season. This team isnt making the playoffs regardless  and Wilson needs to sit even if the starting QB is having rocky starts.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

true, but the odds are not in our favor. the most likely thing is White is ok to avg and Zach gets his job back in a week or 2.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I disagree. I think he earned the next start, and he'll get to earn the one after that with his play on the field. One game and a drive doesn't mean the season is his. Ride the hot hand. If White falters, not loses, but rather plays like sh*t then you reevaluate the starter for the following week. Think of them as pitchers. 

Swapping out QBs every time they have a bad game would be awful player management. You need to let one of them just take the team the rest of the way. 

Wilson is unequivocally not ready to start and this team isnt good enough to lift him up. 

• Upvote 1