Mike F’n White starting Sunday

Rhg1084

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is true. Unless White absolutely tanks, how do you go back to Wilson next week? If White is just ok and puts up 280 yards, two TDS, and keeps the team in the game late against the Bills, what do you do? 

Easy you keep him until he stinks then let zach back

• Upvote 2

This is going to be a long post, so bear with me. It will be the last one I make on the subject until we play our most intriguing game in years….

I’ve been watching this team over 50 years, so you know I’ve seen some crazy s**t, but this has to be one of the least expected, and most crazy.

Im sitting here posting and reading on a Jets message board with a bunch of diehard fans, and we’re talking about our team taking the reins from our prized #2 pick in the draft rookie QB halfway into the season. Incredibly, a lot of us are fine with it, in fact we think it’s the smart move.
 The Darnold years changed this board. A lot of people who were his biggest fans have become jaded. Sure there are some “you’ve got to give him 3 years” posts, but I don’t think any of those guys truly believe we’ll give Wilson that much rope. 

If White somehow finishes the season as the starter, I don’t see Wilson ever getting the job back. It would mean White had shown to be a viable starter, and the Jets would then have to try to sign him to a new deal rather than risk losing him and go back to square one with Zach.

Buckle up, boys. Sunday is going to be fun.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

This is going to be a long post, so bear with me. It will be the last one I make on the subject until we play our most intriguing game in years….

I’ve been watching this team over 50 years, so you know I’ve seen some crazy s**t, but this has to be one of the least expected, and most crazy.

Im sitting here posting and reading on a Jets message board with a bunch of diehard fans, and we’re talking about our team taking the reins from our prized #2 pick in the draft rookie QB halfway into the season.

Incredibly, a lot of us are fine with it, in fact we think it’s the smart move.  The Darnold years changed this board.

A lot of people who were his biggest fans have become jaded. Sure there are some “you’ve got to give him 3 years” posts, but I don’t think any of those guys truly believe we’ll give Wilson that much rope. 

If White somehow finishes the season as the starter, I don’t see Wilson ever getting the job back. It would mean White had shown to be a viable starter, and the Jets would then have to try to sign him to a new deal rather than risk losing him and go back to square one with Zach.

At least you put it into paragraphs

• Haha 3

Until White shows he can run a complete offense I am not going to go overboard.  If he can hit a few deeper shots that will change things but teams are going to be poaching everything short until he can get them to respect some down filed throws.

This will be an issue with Mac Jones as well, he is doing well now but when you get into playoff ball you need to be more than a check down charlie.

I am very pleased that our offense looks revitalized the last few weeks.

Our defense is giving me migraines though.  I cannot see the jets holding the bills down after they were embarrassed last week. I see another 40 spot coming up.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t know about that.

Im not saying White can or will do it, but if a guy like him were to string 8 or 9 solid performances together, I’d think any smart organization is going to look at that player VERY differently than as a long term backup. That’s how you got a Brady and a Warner. Guys come in, open eyes, and change narratives.

There would come a point where the roles reversed, and that’s when you would look at the high draft pick as an asset you could use in a trade.

At this point I think the Jets main concern is to find a viable starter, not to assuage Wilson’s feelings. It doesn’t matter if it turns out to be the 25 or the 21 year old.

Brady and Warner won Super Bowls in those seasons when they took over the starting job.  The Jets are likely winning 5-6 games.  Apples and bananas.  If White has a rough game or loses 2-3 in a row, where he doesn't play great, Wilson will get another shot this season.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

We’re in this weird point in time where we may have 1 FQB, 2 FQBs or 0 FQBs. And it’s anyone’s guess which one it’ll be.

Good times.

Considering we're still talking about the Jets, it's probably a bit more than a "guess" to say which one has by far the highest odds.  Let's just enjoy this moment while we have it.

(... but obviously it's 2 FQBs)

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

Staubach had to serve as an officer in the Navy for 4 years prior to starting his football career, hence him being a 10th round pick.

I understand your point, but White has played 1 full game. I am going to have to see more from White than 1 game and 2 for 6 in tight throws.

3 hours ago, doitny said:

true, but the odds are not in our favor. the most likely thing is White is ok to avg and Zach gets his job back in a week or 2.

All I’m saying is it’s equally premature to rule out White as a franchise QB.  It’s improbable but certainly possible.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

We’re in this weird point in time where we may have 1 FQB, 2 FQBs or 0 FQBs. And it’s anyone’s guess which one it’ll be.

Good times.

8 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Considering we're still talking about the Jets, it's probably a bit more than a "guess" to say which one has by far the highest odds.  Let's just enjoy this moment while we have it.

(... but obviously it's 2 FQBs)

Actually we have 3.  Flacco is gonna get a 2nd wind on his career, just watch! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Actually we have 3.  Flacco is gonna get a 2nd wind on his career, just watch! 

That really begs the question, which would be the funnier potential outcome on Sunday.

If White gets hurt again, does Flacco come in and (1) continue the trend of career-best performances, or (2) have a laughably horrific showing?

Anything in between would be just far too boring for this current Jets story.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

That really begs the question, which would be the funnier potential outcome on Sunday.

If White gets hurt again, does Flacco come in and (1) continue the trend of career-best performances, or (2) have a laughably horrific showing?

Anything in between would be just far too boring for this current Jets story.

As Jets fans we ought to be prepared for anything by now.  We’ve already sat through Luke Falk.  We can handle it.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think Saleh is saying that he wants a guy who plays how he's coached.  White is clearly doing that, taking what the defense gives him, not ignoring open guys 5 yards away to try to make a "hero throw" 40 yards down the field.   There is absolutely nothing that infuriates a coach more than looking at film and seeing that a play was designed properly, called at the right time, blocked well by the OLine and a WR beat the defender.... only to have the QB throw all that away in order to gamble for something bigger.

That's the sense I get from Saleh.  And, not surprisingly, it's the way the Pats have gone about developing Mac Jones so far.  We joke that he's been "check down charlie" and completing a ton of passes but only 5 yards down the field.  However, that's working for the Pats in that it's winning some games and it's getting Mac some early success before trying to open up things down the field.

Wilson seemed to think he was Brett Favre and just wanted to sling it everywhere.

And not only all that, but even when Wilson DOES stay within the offense, his short pass accuracy has been fairly pitiful.  No bueno.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I think Saleh is saying that he wants a guy who plays how he's coached.  White is clearly doing that, taking what the defense gives him, not ignoring open guys 5 yards away to try to make a "hero throw" 40 yards down the field.   There is absolutely nothing that infuriates a coach more than looking at film and seeing that a play was designed properly, called at the right time, blocked well by the OLine and a WR beat the defender.... only to have the QB throw all that away in order to gamble for something bigger.

That's the sense I get from Saleh.  And, not surprisingly, it's the way the Pats have gone about developing Mac Jones so far.  We joke that he's been "check down charlie" and completing a ton of passes but only 5 yards down the field.  However, that's working for the Pats in that it's winning some games and it's getting Mac some early success before trying to open up things down the field.

Wilson seemed to think he was Brett Favre and just wanted to sling it everywhere.

He’s a fiery competitor.

18 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is the absolute best scenario for this franchise and Zach Wilson.  Zach wasnt ready and gets to watch and learn a few more weeks.

We are extremely lucky to be in this scenario.

I think that you are right and those who said that the Jets shouldn’t start Wilson this year right away might have been correct after all…

I see nothing wrong with keeping Zack Wilson on the bench. after all he wasn’t ready in the first place and that’s clear by how Mike White and even Josh Johnson have performed. I keep showcasing Mike White for a potential tag and trade after this season. And If White does perform at a crazy high level then we have an interesting situation on our hands going forward. And I think that’s a really good situation. 

19 hours ago, Trotter said:

Similiar to the 70's when Richard Todd was the high draft pick and Matt Robinson was basically Mike White. Robinson played well.  

yep.  and robinson probably had the job won until he broke his thumb.  but then the jets parleyed him into a high draft pick from denver.

52 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Supporting Mike White =/= Turning on Zach Wilson

Some dickheads have given up on Zach but you'll find they never really liked him to begin with. 

i'm not sure there was a hands down must have on wilson from the get go.  he just didn't seem to have a really big body of work and was really only great his last college year.  the jets were just picking the best qb after lawrence.  i think i would've traded back.  but wilson is here and he needs time to learn the game.  and who knows if lafleur being in the booth has something to do with it.  at the end of the day, if white keeps the job so be it.  it's about time something went right for the jets qb wise.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Supporting Mike White =/= Turning on Zach Wilson

Some dickheads have given up on Zach but you'll find they never really liked him to begin with. 

The best one is where they quote stats from a qb that has played the number 2, 5 and 11 pass defenses in football in his first five games as a professional player and write him off, using those stats to hammer their idiotic point home. Five.

Games.

In.

And then feign objectivity.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i'm not sure there was a hands down must have on wilson from the get go.  he just didn't seem to have a really big body of work and was really only great his last college year.  the jets were just picking the best qb after lawrence.  i think i would've traded back.  but wilson is here and he needs time to learn the game.  and who knows if lafleur being in the booth has something to do with it.  at the end of the day, if white keeps the job so be it.  it's about time something went right for the jets qb wise.

Exactly - Mike White continuing to play well even if that lasts thru the remainder of the season is a plus for this team. If you take personal emotions out of it - you would have two qb's who would have significant interest across the league in the offseason. That is a great position for this team to be in.

Who they keep/trade is up to the braintrust. For me and I would think most fans, I could care less the name, draft position etc of the QB. Just give me the guy who gives us the best chance to win for the future. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Im sitting here posting and reading on a Jets message board with a bunch of diehard fans, and we’re talking about our team taking the reins from our prized #2 pick in the draft rookie QB halfway into the season. Incredibly, a lot of us are fine with it, in fact we think it’s the smart move.
 The Darnold years changed this board. A lot of people who were his biggest fans have become jaded. Sure there are some “you’ve got to give him 3 years” posts, but I don’t think any of those guys truly believe we’ll give Wilson that much rope. 

Optimistic: Being a Jet fan for 50 years and NOT being jaded.

• Upvote 1