The Offensive Line: Off-season

Be_a_Jet

It’s never too early to talk off-season for the Jets. 

So everyone is in agreement Van Roten is a liability and that RG is priority #1 this offseason. 

I’ve personally been looking forward to Wyatt Teller shaking loose from Cleveland because they have so many guys on that line to pay - WELL that when down the drain because they just extended him after the OBJ release. 

So in terms of elite guards that only leaves Brandon Scherff for everyone to fight over in FA. He can still be worth the investment but much less attractive than the younger healthier Teller. 

The draft has a few top lineman
Evan Neal RT

Kenyon Green IOL/OT

Linderbaum Center

Ekwonu (Guard but unsure if he’s left/right, I think left)

In the ideal scenario we would have signed Teller and drafted either Linderbaum for Center or Neal/Green for RT. 

We have Fant signed through 2022 so that’s good. We also have McGovern signed but could cut him if we wanted. Moses is FA and will likely not be signed. 
Best scenario is if Laurent-Duverney is a gem and we sign him while he’s still in house  but not holding my breath

SO……What would you do. 

• Upvote 3

I don’t know what I’d do but I do have some expectations regarding what will happen.

Van Roten is clearly causing problems for the offensive line. That means Douglas is likely to try to add present starter via the draft or free agency to replace him - could be a right guard or a center to kick McGovern to guard. Because of the flexibility there and not high value being placed on the iOL in terms of draft picks I do think it’s possible that happens via the draft.

The added complexity to the OL situation is that McGovern, Van Roten, and Fant all expire after the 2022 season. So Van Roten gets replaced somehow, but I think long term replacements and short term competition for McGovern and Fant get added via the draft as well. For Fant it’s kind of clean since OL depth is important with how often Becton is banged up and Moses is expiring. I’d think something around a day two pick at tackle to replace Moses and push Fant (or possibly Becton depending on how the rest of the season goes) will happen.

I think the nice scenario is drafting Tyler Linderbaum and then competition for McGovern at guard. They could certainly draft a center rounds 2-4 and have him push McGovern, say if they sign a free agent guard or draft one early again, but that seems less likely somehow.

This team’s weaknesses seem to line up with positions that are addressed in a straightforward way on day two and so I’d kind of expect to see them try to accumulate picks there but some of those positions will inevitably kick up to first round range as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Browns might decide to off-load their starting center, JC Tretter next year, if we wanted to go down the veteran FA route and use the draft for other positions. 

Like personally I'd prefer Linderbaum and just slot him in for the next decade. But I'm just not sure Douglas will spend another first round pick on IOL? 

I think a lot will depend on how Becton plays downs the stretch. If he plays well, great, we must just roll with Fant at RT. If Becton struggles for whatever reason, I could see Douglas hedging his bets and drafting Neal as insurance if available. 

• Upvote 1

There's a few intriguing guards that will probably be available next offseason who are under 30:

Austin Corbett

Will Hernandez

James Daniels

Connor Williams

Alex Cappa

All the above have significant starting experience and would be a massive upgrade over Van Roten. As it stands, I think the FA route makes the most sense with the OL next year by signing one of the above and bringing back Fant who has been pretty damn solid this year on both sides of the line. 

Then look to the draft to actually start developing some younger guys and build an actual OL pipeline.

• Upvote 1

Would love to bring back Moses because as we all know continuity along the o line goes along way towards building a great line but will he want to resign here or for that matter any other top tier free agent guard. This team needs to start winning or at the very least being competitive in games so the Jets will be viewed as a team on the rise so free agents will want to come here and be a part of a perennial contender

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Draft Linderbaum

Throw money at a FA RG no 2nd tier schmucks.   If you cannot get a top end guard in FA draft one.

This is the thing that bothers me the most about this years Jets, the D utterly sucking so bad means I fear our draft priorities will change.

McG at RG is pretty good if you draft Linderbaum. I think a 2nd tier schmuck would make a nice backup in that scenario. ?

Wouldn't mind picking up a guard in the draft even if we land Linderbaum though.

• Upvote 2

Moses is having his worst pass protection year ever, giving up a pressure 11% of dropbacks- prior to that his worst was last year at 5.5% which is below average.  I don’t want him starting next year. 

Fant is a very solid pass protector at LT but he’s not as good at RT, and he’s a liability in the run game everywhere.  Plus he’s due $11 mill next year.   He’s a great backup swing tackle but I think another team desperate for a decent LT (Jacksonville?) would be happy to have him start the blind side.

I expect JD to balk at Scherffs price in FA.  Perhaps one of the other FA guards for RG. 

If available I’d go Evan Neal with our top pick. Cut Moses. Try to restructure Fant, he’ll decline and JD trades or cuts him.

with Seattle’s pick I think go Cb (many of them) or Edge (Karlaftis).

I’d be happy with a center or guard but just thinking about opportunity cost.

• Upvote 1

I know what I don’t do. 

I don’t get my hopes up that we’re going to sign the top OL free agents. 

I remember last year everyone just assumed we’re signing Corey Linsley AND Joe Thuney because we have all that FA money and, you know, we’re the Jets where all top FAs want to sign. 

We never got a sniff. 

We need to draft Linderbaum move McGovern to RG and hope Betcton Fant and Moses fill in the tackle spots with one being a swing tackle. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'd target Linderbaum in the first, re-sign Moses, and draft Ben Brown on day 2/3 to take over in 2023. 

22 Line:

Big Ticket

AVT

Linder-stud 

McGovern

Moses/Fant 

That's a championship quality line.

THIS.... Yes !!!  Linderbaum has to be our first pick. We need a STUD Center for the next 10 years. That moves McGovern over to RG, or a competition with a signed FA at RG. 

• Upvote 1

you let the guy who im tooo lazy to search his name that we just traded for play the rest of the season at Guard and if he plays well offer him a contract. in case you haven't notice the line has been fine since the beginning of the year. and we are going to break records on how bad a defense is so don't set yourself up for disappointments when we use our 1st and 2nd rd picks on defense.

what amazes me is that while we are living this horrendous defense right now and its fresh in our heads and guys here are still wanting to draft a OL high. 

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Draft Linderbaum

Throw money at a FA RG no 2nd tier schmucks.   If you cannot get a top end guard in FA draft one.

This is the thing that bothers me the most about this years Jets, the D utterly sucking so bad means I fear our draft priorities will change.

They go can O Line twice in the 1st , and still address the defense with 2 high second round picks.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, chirorob said:

They go can O Line twice in the 1st , and still address the defense with 2 high second round picks.

even if they dont go defense they wont go OL in the 1st rd. nobody drafts OL in the 1st rd three years in a row. not to mention 4 picks in the 1st rd three years in a row.

JD is a traditional GM. everything has a value.  the QBs blind side LT and LG has value. 

GB has the best line in football and has zero 1st rd picks.

look where JD learned how to build a team. Baltimore has one 1st rd pick that they drafted. the rest of there drafts are premium positions like LB , WR , QB, DE, CB....TE.... Phila has 2 1st rd picks that were drafted 6 years apart.

this is a team with a lot of needs. you cannot use 4 out of 6 first rd picks in 3 consecutive years on the line. and your not paying 4 OL big money so were just training 2 of them to leave in 3-4 years. 

1 hour ago, doitny said:

even if they dont go defense they wont go OL in the 1st rd. nobody drafts OL in the 1st rd three years in a row. not to mention 4 picks in the 1st rd three years in a row.

JD is a traditional GM. everything has a value.  the QBs blind side LT and LG has value. 

GB has the best line in football and has zero 1st rd picks.

look where JD learned how to build a team. Baltimore has one 1st rd pick that they drafted. the rest of there drafts are premium positions like LB , WR , QB, DE, CB....TE.... Phila has 2 1st rd picks that were drafted 6 years apart.

this is a team with a lot of needs. you cannot use 4 out of 6 first rd picks in 3 consecutive years on the line. and your not paying 4 OL big money so were just training 2 of them to leave in 3-4 years. 

Agree with this post but the reason why GB and for that matter Tampa Bay’s line look so good is possibly because their QBs get ride of the ball quickly. Blocking for 2 seconds or less tends to make line look a hell of a lot better 

• Upvote 1

Dallas used 3 1st round picks in 4 years with tyron smith, zack martin and travis fredrick.

That line helped make dak prescott a very good qb.

The jets were starting from almost nothing seeing as mccagnan took a total of 3 guys in 5 years, none higher than round 3.

All oline positions are premium positions.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Dallas used 3 1st round picks in 4 years with tyron smith, zack martin and travis fredrick.

That line helped make dak prescott a very good qb.

The jets were starting from almost nothing seeing as mccagnan took a total of 3 guys in 5 years, none higher than round 3.

All oline positions are premium positions.

thats one team. almost the entire NFL develops QBs with 2 or less 1st rd picks on there line. and im sure paying out 3 big contracts on the line hurt them elsewhere.

they made the playoff 3 out of the last 10 years, 2 with Dak. lost all there playoff games in the Division rd. so Dak is very good, but his team would have been better if they used one of those picks elsewhere. 

our best OL had 2 first rd picks ( Brick, Mangold). was that line not good enough? 

you have Atlanta at 3 but 2 of there picks were 5 years apart. 

1 hour ago, doitny said:

thats one team. almost the entire NFL develops QBs with 2 or less 1st rd picks on there line. and im sure paying out 3 big contracts on the line hurt them elsewhere.

they made the playoff 3 out of the last 10 years, 2 with Dak. lost all there playoff games in the Division rd. so Dak is very good, but his team would have been better if they used one of those picks elsewhere. 

our best OL had 2 first rd picks ( Brick, Mangold). was that line not good enough? 

you have Atlanta at 3 but 2 of there picks were 5 years apart. 

To be fair doitny the line of Brick and Nick did have a third first rounder in Alan Faneca as he came over as a free agent but your point is well taken. Need to find some o lineman in the later rounds or an UDFA ala Brandon Moore so all cap space is not gobbled up by one group 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Draft Linderbaum

if it's not one thing it's another.  the defense was a sieve against the dolts.  at least they have enough top draft picks so they should be able to get two oline positions filled and still attend to the defense.