The Offensive Line: Off-season

Be_a_Jet

13 hours ago, Barton said:

McGovern doesnt really have value at RG, imo. You want a RG who can really run block and move people. Not really his thing. 

Not necessarily in an outside zone system, movement is much more important.

If we invest 1 of our top 4 picks in OL, thats smart - and preferably to me that would be Linderbaum.  We allow McGovern to battle it out for RG and if LDT winds up being a better fit in this system, then you cut McGovern and have him start.

The bigger issue is that we simply cant trust Becton.  The guy had a 4-6 week injury that was essentially 8 weeks ago and he doesnt seem close to read to return. When you add that to the injuries last year, and the fact that his body will be difficult to maintain, we are going to need a fant type swing tackle for a long time.  If they can keep moses in house next season, that would be great and then we can find a new RT/Swing OT in the 2023 draft.

Also dont forget what a big role TE play is for this offense.  Lost in the last 2 weeks is that Kroft has played very well, so if we can draft a quality TE to pair with him, it will greatly increase the overall OL play.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Snell41 said:

A competent QB makes a decent OL look great. Our OL is no longer a liability.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Ass backwards, how did partick mahommes look in the super bowl?

A GREAT Qb can make your oline look a bit better.

A great oline makes the QB, wrs and RBs better.

No longer a liability is not something you should strive for as an upside.

When was the last time the ny jets were relevant?  The rex era when they had a great not 'no longer a liability ' oline.

• Upvote 1

Draft Linderbaum in the 1st, an OT in the 3rd to develop, and another OL in the 5th to develop. That still leaves another 1st, two 2nds, two 4ths and another 5th to draft whatever else you want.  Oh, and JD will almost certainly trade down once or twice to pick up another couple of picks.  If the Jets lose faith in Becton, they might want to move the OT up to one of the 2nd round picks.

Nothing wrong with drafting OL in the first round three straight years, esp. since Becton is a huge ? at this time, and especially since the Jets will have had two first round picks in 2 of those 3 years...  The Jets need talent and depth at OL. This is NOT a good OL...right now the only young stud active is AVT.  The rest are mediocrities and JAGs.

Stop the half-assed OL building.

21 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

There's a few intriguing guards that will probably be available next offseason who are under 30:

Austin Corbett

Will Hernandez

James Daniels

Connor Williams

Alex Cappa

All the above have significant starting experience and would be a massive upgrade over Van Roten. As it stands, I think the FA route makes the most sense with the OL next year by signing one of the above and bringing back Fant who has been pretty damn solid this year on both sides of the line. 

Then look to the draft to actually start developing some younger guys and build an actual OL pipeline.

Thanks, didn’t realize those other Guards were possibly available too. 

don’t know much about em other than Hernandez who is hot/cold on the giants and a little bit about Connor Williams. 

Seems like you think all are above GVR though which is good news because either way than GVR is going to get replaced by someone better this offseason - even if we miss on Scherff 

39 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Thanks, didn’t realize those other Guards were possibly available too. 

don’t know much about em other than Hernandez who is hot/cold on the giants and a little bit about Connor Williams. 

Seems like you think all are above GVR though which is good news because either way than GVR is going to get replaced by someone better this offseason - even if we miss on Scherff 

I think JD has shown he's not likely to throw a huge amount of money at guys in their 30s, so I think our next RG is probably in that group.

On 11/10/2021 at 12:16 PM, Be_a_Jet said:

It’s never too early to talk off-season for the Jets. 

So everyone is in agreement Van Roten is a liability and that RG is priority #1 this offseason. 

I’ve personally been looking forward to Wyatt Teller shaking loose from Cleveland because they have so many guys on that line to pay - WELL that when down the drain because they just extended him after the OBJ release. 

So in terms of elite guards that only leaves Brandon Scherff for everyone to fight over in FA. He can still be worth the investment but much less attractive than the younger healthier Teller. 

The draft has a few top lineman
Evan Neal RT

Kenyon Green IOL/OT

Linderbaum Center

Ekwonu (Guard but unsure if he’s left/right, I think left)

In the ideal scenario we would have signed Teller and drafted either Linderbaum for Center or Neal/Green for RT. 

We have Fant signed through 2022 so that’s good. We also have McGovern signed but could cut him if we wanted. Moses is FA and will likely not be signed. 
Best scenario is if Laurent-Duverney is a gem and we sign him while he’s still in house  but not holding my breath

SO……What would you do. 

Subtract Van Roten and try Becton on the insde.

• Thumb Down 1

I'm not sure why everyone wants to move Mc Govern to G.  He's been doing fine at C after the first few games.

My hope is that the "French Doc" can take GVR's lunch.  He seems to think he can.  Loved at his presser when one of the scribes asked him if he would be starting next year.  He said. "I'll be starting at RG this year."  He had a no trade clause, smart guy, I'm sure he watched film on GVR, and thought "I can take that bums job".

• Upvote 2

Here's how it goes down...

Free Agency:

• Tier B Guard
  • Tier B WR
  • Tier A/B LB
  • Tier A/B Safety

Draft

• 1st Round:  Aidan Hutchinson or George Karlaftis, Edge
  • 1st Round: Tyler Linderbaum, C
  • 2nd Round: Jalen Wydermyer, TE
  • 2nd Round: Kenneth Walker, RB
  • 3rd Round: Jalan Catalong, S
  • 4th Round: Emil Ekimor, G
  • 4th Round: Sam LaPorta, TE

Douglas and Woody (hahaha) will be sweating it out to see if Linderbaum falls to them but their backup plan is Kenyon Green.  McDermott's flexibility helps Douglas out.

4 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Here's how it goes down...

Free Agency:

• Tier B Guard
  • Tier B WR
  • Tier A/B LB
  • Tier A/B Safety

Draft

• 1st Round:  Aidan Hutchinson or George Karlaftis, Edge
  • 1st Round: Tyler Linderbaum, C
  • 2nd Round: Jalen Wydermyer, TE
  • 2nd Round: Kenneth Walker, RB
  • 3rd Round: Jalan Catalong, S
  • 4th Round: Emil Ekimor, G
  • 4th Round: Sam LaPorta, TE

Douglas and Woody (hahaha) will be sweating it out to see if Linderbaum falls to them but their backup plan is Kenyon Green.  McDermott's flexibility helps Douglas out.

This is a good plan.

The Jets can draft players or buy them. 

If someone who can play LT is available when the Jets pick, even the highest pick, it could make sense to draft him and let Moses walk.  Becton can play RT if he has to.  He could be better there.  That gives the Jets a T for another 5 years on a rookie deal, Becton for another 2+1, and Fant next year as swing.  that is not bad.  If Becton ends up a better LT than the rookie the rookie can play RT.  If we get a better RG somehow and McGovern is the C another year, that is not a disaster. 

16 hours ago, CSNY said:

To be fair doitny the line of Brick and Nick did have a third first rounder in Alan Faneca as he came over as a free agent but your point is well taken. Need to find some o lineman in the later rounds or an UDFA ala Brandon Moore so all cap space is not gobbled up by one group 

finally someone who understands.

i believe your 1st rd picks should be your core players. guys who spend the next 10-15 years with you as long as they can play. not guys you lose in 4-5 years cause you cant pay them.

On 11/10/2021 at 7:21 PM, David Harris said:

Moses is having his worst pass protection year ever, giving up a pressure 11% of dropbacks- prior to that his worst was last year at 5.5% which is below average.  I don’t want him starting next year. 

Fant is a very solid pass protector at LT but he’s not as good at RT, and he’s a liability in the run game everywhere.  Plus he’s due $11 mill next year.   He’s a great backup swing tackle but I think another team desperate for a decent LT (Jacksonville?) would be happy to have him start the blind side.

I expect JD to balk at Scherffs price in FA.  Perhaps one of the other FA guards for RG. 

If available I’d go Evan Neal with our top pick. Cut Moses. Try to restructure Fant, he’ll decline and JD trades or cuts him.

with Seattle’s pick I think go Cb (many of them) or Edge (Karlaftis).

I’d be happy with a center or guard but just thinking about opportunity cost.

image.jpeg

Replace GVR with a veteran (don’t know who yet). 

Re-sign Moses for $6MM/yr (could go up to 7 if necessary, but he shouldn’t be a bank breaker and won’t command 2 fully guaranteed $ seasons anyway.

Retain McGovern (one year left), still draft a G-C prospect, but definitely not in the top half of round 1.

AVT obviously nothing to do there. 

Fant is still under contract 1 more year as well, but his $ is too high priced for anything other than starting at LT. Bring him back, with Becton, at least until the draft to see if another tackle slipped to then unexpectedly. If not then still hang on for the time being.

Fant can be cut anytime, so there’s no rush to do anything until final cut downs in late Aug at the earliest. May even be able to trade him for a draft pick if someone loses a starting tackle (LT in particular) over the summer. If he’s not starting opening day and no one wants to fork over a pick for him, put the summer salary squeeze on him since he’s not getting $10MM as a sudden FA in late August. If he accepts a pay cut, as most do, he’s great insurance at both tackle positions and could still be traded by the deadline if he’s not starting and someone is desperate.

Net new faces:

Veteran RG. Whom that is will determine whether or not a 1st rd lineman is even a consideration a month later. If it’s someone serious, round 2 at the earliest for any OL position / they can play BAP since they still have enough picks to fill needs. 

Nothing permanent to decide in March 2022, but plan for life without Fant and McGovern and maybe Moses in ‘23.