Any Old Timers out there?

2 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

This so called QB controversy that is presently brewing remind anyone of Matt Robinson/Richard Todd?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yes, remember it well

Start with the premise, there isn’t a QB controversy here.  ZW is the QB.   And the Robinson/Todd was filled by Michael’s who mistakenly thought that Todd would easily win a competition with MR and then didnt.  

Also a huge difference is this CS drafted ZW, Michaels didnt draft Todd

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes, remember it well

Start with the premise, there isn’t a QB controversy here.  ZW is the QB.   And the Robinson/Todd was filled by Michael’s who mistakenly thought that Todd would easily win them didnt.  

Maybe Wilson is the QB, but White has a chance to really make that decision tough hopefully he does, I really liked that Wilson didn’t fold at BYU when he found himself in a QB competition he thrived.  White playing well is best case.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Maybe Wilson is the QB, but White has a chance to really make that decision tough hopefully he does, I really liked that Wilson didn’t fold at BYU when he found himself in a QB competition he thrived.  White playing well is best case.

I hope White makes it interesting in the least.  Two capable QBs means we’re getting a nice return down the road.  
I’m also old enough to have seen lots of QBs make an impressive fill in start and then disappear though.  So while it sounds good and is welcome it it’s not a given like some think it is off of one big game

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

20 minutes ago, static14 said:

Any old timers? Like 60% of the folks on here still have VCR's that are flashing 12:00. 

I bought a VCR a few years back to play some old tapes we had--it cost $29.99.  The guy at Best Buy asked me if I wanted the extended protection plan.  

I told him the extended protection plan was the garbage can if it stopped working.  

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I hope White makes it interesting in the least.  Two capable QBs means we’re getting a nice return down the road.  
I’m also old enough to have seen lots of QBs make an impressive fill in start and then disappear though.  So while it sounds good and is welcome it it’s not a given like some think it is off of one big game

Agreed seen the same.  But haven’t seen anything yet from Wilson to show he is the guy either tools are great and all but they need to produce.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, GuitarJet said:

I gotta laugh.  61 years young here with no VCR's, well Ok 1, still in the house?I shudder to think what this board would be like if we had Todd and Robinson now.  The drama would be endless.  Todd shoving Steve Serby into a locker would have blown up this board, let alone ESPN and the internet....... Then the Robinson SprainedThumbGate..... destined to be an internet classic!! Quite honestly, I thought Todd/Ryan was a bigger controversy.  Todd was frustrating as hell to watch.  Games like the Miami game where he lead a two minute comeback  in a late afternoon at Shea on one ankle were great, then the AJ Duhe disaster in the AFCCG in Miami broke your heart.   

Todd had injured ribs in the comeback game vs Miami '81

• Upvote 2

I wasn't that impressed by Matt.  He was ok, but I thought Todd was going to be way better. 
Turns out they both sucked.

In another Jets QB battle, I loved Glenn Foley and really hated O'Donnell.  
Also turns out they both sucked.

I like Mike F. White and I like Zach too.   It's too early to make a judgement yet.  White needs to do it again now that there's tape on him, and if he does, he's gonna break this site!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, GuitarJet said:

I gotta laugh.  61 years young here with no VCR's, well Ok 1, still in the house?I shudder to think what this board would be like if we had Todd and Robinson now.  The drama would be endless.  Todd shoving Steve Serby into a locker would have blown up this board, let alone ESPN and the internet....... Then the Robinson SprainedThumbGate..... destined to be an internet classic!! Quite honestly, I thought Todd/Ryan was a bigger controversy.  Todd was frustrating as hell to watch.  Games like the Miami game where he lead a two minute comeback  in a late afternoon at Shea on one ankle were great, then the AJ Duhe disaster in the AFCCG in Miami broke your heart.   

TRUTH!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

This so called QB controversy that is presently brewing remind anyone of Matt Robinson/Richard Todd?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I qualify as an old timer, LOL.  This is an abrieviated version of that QB controversy. I did this from memory so perhaps some minor details may be slightly off. However this is how I remember it as I became a season ticket holder in 1978:

Richard Todd was a first round pick in 1976 (#6): Matt Robinson, I believe, was a 9th Round pick in 1977. Todd was the heir apparent to Joe Namath.  New HC Walt Michaeals released Namath prior to the 1977 season and named Todd the starter.

Todd was playing reasonably well.  He got injured early in the 1978 season, I think it was game 4 in Washington.  Robinson came in and played well. Todd was set to return late in the season.  He resumed his starting spot in a big game against the Patriots at Shea in late November . He did not play well in the game and the "We want Matt" chant was born.  The Patriots lead most of the game and Todd reinjured his shoulder late in the game and Robinson came in and played well.  He lead a comback in the 4th quarter that should have resulted in a win, however kicker Pat Leahy missed a 35 yarder as time ran out and the Jets lost 19-17.  

Overall Robinson played very well in 1978 and came close to leading the Jets into the playoffs. They were eliminated in a heart-braking loss to the Browns in week 15.

Micheals decided to open up the QB position in 1979 letting Matt and Todd battle it out in the preseason. Matt Robinson won the job and was named starter. Then Robinson did something very stupid. He armed wrestled Joe Klecko on the eve of the season opener against the Browns and injured his thumb on his throwing hand. To compound his stupidity he lied to HC Walt Michaels telling him he got the thumb caught slamming a door shut. Michaels let Robinson start the season opener and the Jets lost to the Browns in overtime while Robinosn threw 2 costly interceptions in that game.

Robinson was unable to play the next couple of games so Todd became the starter.  Todd played OK and the Jets went 1-1 in the two games Robinson was injured.  Robinson was cleared to play the following week however Michaels learned the truth about the injury and announced that Todd was now the starting QB and Matt was the back-up.  Todd had a mediocre 1979 and "We want Matt" chants were common from the fans. Also various writers in the newpapers were calling for Robinosn to regain his starting job. However Michaels stuck with Todd, in part because Matt was caught in a lie and lost the HC's confidence. 

At the conclucion of the 1979 season the Jets traded Robinson to the Broncos for a first round pick. Robinson never amounted to anything in Denver.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 4

There will only be a QB controversy if Mike White plays well and is sat for Zach when Zach is healthy.

If Mike White plays well, and continues to start, the MEDIA will try to invent a controversy, but the fans are ready to embrace whichever QB plays well.

If the ultimate outcome of this whole situation is that we "wasted" the #2 overall pick in 2021 because Mike White turns out to be the real deal...I'm all for it..."waste" away.  I just want a good QB.

Think about it this way.  Mike White probably only got this chance because we drafted Zach.  Had we kept Sam or traded back, we likely bring in a vet presence for the QB room in the spring.  The reason we didn't have a vet presence this spring is because the coaching staff and FO wanted to get Zach the reps and avoid any "controversy" with starting Zach day 1, if the vet looked good in the summer.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1