Any Old Timers out there?

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

One of the classic sports voices of my youth in the 60s-70s.  Still remember Marty calling games for the NY Nets when they were in the ABA.

Also, a gifted athlete in his own right.

Are there any games that Marty did on you tube or any other media that someone can post a link to as I am technologically inept might be able to find it but wouldn’t be able to post link for every one to enjoy and for the younger posters they get to hear a legendary announcer 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Are there any games that Marty did on you tube or any other media that someone can post a link to as I am technologically inept might be able to find it but wouldn’t be able to post link for every one to enjoy and for the younger posters they get to hear a legendary announcer 

I hate to even play this one, CSNY.  lol

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I hate to even play this one, CSNY.  lol

Lol  munch. Was at that game( section 26 row J seats 1&2 )  if I remember correctly Leahy had a terrible year wasn’t the only game winner he missed but I was nice to hear his play call Totally forgot he also represented the US  on the Olympic track team in the 1936 Berlin games 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Lol  munch. Was at that game( section 26 row J seats 1&2 )  if I remember correctly Leahy had a terrible year wasn’t the only game winner he missed but I was nice to hear his play call Totally forgot he also represented the US  on the Olympic track team in the 1936 Berlin games 

I'm still a huge Leahy fan.  But that was not his best moment.

As for Marty Glickman at the '36 Olympics:

A controversial move at the Games was the benching of two American Jewish runners, Marty Glickman and Sam Stoller. Both had trained for the 4x100-meter relay, but on the day before the event, they were replaced by Jesse Owens and Ralph Metcalfe, the team's two fastest sprinters. Various reasons were given for the change. The coaches claimed they needed their fastest runners to win the race. Glickman has said that Coach Dean Cromwell and Avery Brundage were motivated by antisemitism and the desire to spare the Führer the embarrassing sight of two American Jews on the winning podium. Stoller did not believe antisemitism was involved, but the 21-year-old described the incident in his diary as the "most humiliating episode" in his life.

This August 9, 1936, photograph shows the U.S. 4x100-meter relay team. Their time of 39.8 seconds set a world record that held for 20 years. From left to right: Jesse Owens, Ralph Metcalfe, Foy Draper, and Frank Wykoff. Both Draper and Wyckoff trained under Dean Cromwell at the University of Southern California, leading some observers to believe that favoritism was involved in the selection of the runners. Stoller agreed. He had beaten Draper in practice heats in Berlin.
arrow_up.gif This August 9, 1936, photograph shows the U.S. 4x100-meter relay team. Their time of 39.8 seconds set a world record that held for 20 years. From left to right: Jesse Owens, Ralph Metcalfe, Foy Draper, and Frank Wykoff. Both Draper and Wyckoff trained under Dean Cromwell at the University of Southern California, leading some observers to believe that favoritism was involved in the selection of the runners. Stoller agreed. He had beaten Draper in practice heats in Berlin.
—USHMM #14545A/UPI/Bettmann/CORBIS

Here Glickman (left) and Stoller train aboard the ship <i>Manhattan</i> on their way to Berlin. July 1936.
arrow_up.gif Here Glickman (left) and Stoller train aboard the ship Manhattan on their way to Berlin. July 1936.
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, CSNY said:

I just watched a replay of the 1981 playoff game against Buffalo (I was there) and every extra point just barely squeezed by the goal post. He was awful under pressure. And I remember sheas state of the art postage stamp diamond vision scoreboard would always put up “perfect Pat” after an extra point was made lol

i was in the mezzanine behind home plate, I can’t remember the section, but I do remember tickets costing $8 in 1978.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'm still a huge Leahy fan.  But that was not his best moment.

As for Marty Glickman at the '36 Olympics:

A controversial move at the Games was the benching of two American Jewish runners, Marty Glickman and Sam Stoller. Both had trained for the 4x100-meter relay, but on the day before the event, they were replaced by Jesse Owens and Ralph Metcalfe, the team's two fastest sprinters. Various reasons were given for the change. The coaches claimed they needed their fastest runners to win the race. Glickman has said that Coach Dean Cromwell and Avery Brundage were motivated by antisemitism and the desire to spare the Führer the embarrassing sight of two American Jews on the winning podium. Stoller did not believe antisemitism was involved, but the 21-year-old described the incident in his diary as the "most humiliating episode" in his life.

This August 9, 1936, photograph shows the U.S. 4x100-meter relay team. Their time of 39.8 seconds set a world record that held for 20 years. From left to right: Jesse Owens, Ralph Metcalfe, Foy Draper, and Frank Wykoff. Both Draper and Wyckoff trained under Dean Cromwell at the University of Southern California, leading some observers to believe that favoritism was involved in the selection of the runners. Stoller agreed. He had beaten Draper in practice heats in Berlin.
arrow_up.gif This August 9, 1936, photograph shows the U.S. 4x100-meter relay team. Their time of 39.8 seconds set a world record that held for 20 years. From left to right: Jesse Owens, Ralph Metcalfe, Foy Draper, and Frank Wykoff. Both Draper and Wyckoff trained under Dean Cromwell at the University of Southern California, leading some observers to believe that favoritism was involved in the selection of the runners. Stoller agreed. He had beaten Draper in practice heats in Berlin.
—USHMM #14545A/UPI/Bettmann/CORBIS

Here Glickman (left) and Stoller train aboard the ship <i>Manhattan</i> on their way to Berlin. July 1936.
arrow_up.gif Here Glickman (left) and Stoller train aboard the ship Manhattan on their way to Berlin. July 1936.

Thanks for posting the Steelers clip as well. The person who mentioned the cops lining up on the closed end of the field did not mention that they had tried clearing the field 2 times before they were successful as the fans drove them back by pelting them with turf.I was making my way down to go on the field to get some turf as well but watched the scene unfold as it was really pretty hilarious watching the cops getting their hats knocked off and some getting face full of turf then cops resorting to throwing turf back at the fans as self defense Picture a big snowball fight but with clumps of grass 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BP said:

I just watched a replay of the 1981 playoff game against Buffalo (I was there) and every extra point just barely squeezed by the goal post. He was awful under pressure. And I remember sheas state of the art postage stamp diamond vision scoreboard would always put up “perfect Pat” after an extra point was made lol

i was in the mezzanine behind home plate, I can’t remember the section, but I do remember tickets costing $8 in 1978.

Oh yeah. I had two season tickets for the grand sum of $144.00 with no preseason requirements. We were also allowed to bring in your own beers and refreshments and as an extra added bonus my friends Dad work the parking for a junkyard directly across the street. Parked for free for all games it only cost me one half gallon of Dewars and one half gallon of Seagrams payable on the final game of season 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, BP said:

This game was one of my proudest moments as after all the sporting events my Dad took me too over the years while I was growing up I was finally able to take him to a playoff game with my own tickets paid for solely by me 

I remember telling my dad just before kickoff all we have to do is not fumble on the kickoff and BOOM Harper fumbles and they run it in 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Idk, they all seem to meld together to me.

And as much as I hated the Raiders, I LOVED Fred Biletnikof.  

I’ll go you one better. You know how random things stick in your memory for no particular reason?

I can still picture after Biletnikoff’s last college game, the Raiders organization brought a folding table and chairs out and set them up in the end zone. In full view of all the fans, Fred signed his pro contract with them.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’ll go you one better. You know how random things stick in your memory for no particular reason?

I can still picture after Biletnikoff’s last college game, the Raiders organization brought a folding table and chairs out and set them up in the end zone. In full view of all the fans, Fred signed his pro contract with them.

Wow! You got me there--a bit before my football fandom started.

Was a different time back then.  

• Upvote 1

This game was one of my proudest moments as after all the sporting events my Dad took me too over the years while I was growing up I was finally able to take him to a playoff game with my own tickets paid for solely by me 

I remember telling my dad just before kickoff all we have to do is not fumble on the kickoff and BOOM Harper fumbles and they run it in 

And Todd followed that up with another pick! 

Other great moments? The frisbee guy with the dog at halftime and when the mechanical plane crashed into the stands and killed a Patriots fan.

I just remember freezing my ass off at Shea and a sea of hands would be up in the bathroom going for that one little heater up in the corner. I was so happy when they moved to Jersey.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

I think Glickman was benched the day before the race and was replaced by Jesse Owens.

2 hours ago, BP said:

I was home from college, Buffalo NY, and that game broke my heart. BIG comeback…… only to SOJ ness. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I was home from college, Buffalo NY, and that game broke my heart. BIG comeback…… only to SOJ ness. 

Another game I was at was in 1978 the Jets honored the 10th anniversary of their super bowl win by having all the players from that team out at halftime. Randy Rasmussen came out in uniform (he was playing) and Dave Herman came down from the booth @munchmemory he was working with Marty glickman

back then all the Jets home games were blacked out

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, BP said:

Another game I was at was in 1978 the Jets honored the 10th anniversary of their super bowl win by having all the players from that team out at halftime. Randy Rasmussen came out in uniform (he was playing) and Dave Herman came down from the booth @munchmemory he was working with Marty glickman

back then all the Jets home games were blacked out

s-l400.jpg

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BP said:

And Todd followed that up with another pick! 

Other great moments? The frisbee guy with the dog at halftime and when the mechanical plane crashed into the stands and killed a Patriots fan.

I just remember freezing my ass off at Shea and a sea of hands would be up in the bathroom going for that one little heater up in the corner. I was so happy when they moved to Jersey.

Hated the move to Jersey and as a result I still haven’t bought one gallon of Hess gas since

• Haha 2

Just now, CSNY said:

Hated the move to Jersey and as a result I still haven’t bought one gallon of Hess gas since

Yeah, I still shake my fists at the mover to the swamp.  As a NYer back then, bothered me that all those secondary and tertiary jobs associated with the team that folks depended on just disappeared over a pissing match between Hess and Koch.  

If he had any balls, Hess could have taken his weekly lunch budget and offered to build another stadium on that site or some place else in NY.  Instead, he went hat in hand to the Giants.  

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I still shake my fists at the mover to the swamp.  As a NYer back then, bothered me that all those secondary and tertiary jobs associated with the team that folks depended on just disappeared over a pissing match between Hess and Koch.  
If he had any balls, Hess could have taken his weekly lunch budget and offered to build another stadium on that site or some place else in NY.  Instead, he went hat in hand to the Giants.  
Being from Jersey .. that day is to this day ... one of the greatest moments in Jets history ... no longer was there the crappy drive out to hempstead for training camp ... and getting to the game became simple.

And the team longer was playing on a baseball field !

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Shea was an absolute sh*thole of a football stadium. It wasn’t enclosed and the ******* wind and garbage tornadoes and the horrible bathrooms. I was going with my brother from central NJ (driving) and everything was so much better at GIants stadium. The commute was especially awesome. But I can understand if you lived in queens and then had to commute to the swamp.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Agree with all of this and that one of  Leon’s main gripes was the bathroom situation at Shea and was telling the fan base that he has their comfort and safety in mind when in reality he didn’t want to be what he perceived as a second class citizen at Shea so he goes and kisses Maras ass to play at FU@KING GIANTS STADIUM where he is the ultimate second class citizen Talk about being a dam hypocrite Move was made for money and money alone since Giants stadium was able to hold over 10,000 more fans than Shea 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, BP said:

Shea was an absolute sh*thole of a football stadium. It wasn’t enclosed and the ******* wind and garbage tornadoes and the horrible bathrooms. I was going with my brother from central NJ (driving) and everything was so much better at GIants stadium. The commute was especially awesome. But I can understand if you lived in queens and then had to commute to the swamp.

Totally agree that Shea was a pit.  Horrible conditions for fans.   I could just never reconcile why Hess--massively wealthy at the time--just did not offer to build a new park?   Or even pay for the renovations.   I blame both Hess and Koch for not doing the obvious.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Totally agree that Shea was a pit.  Horrible conditions for fans.   I could just never reconcile why Hess--massively wealthy at the time--just did not offer to build a new park?   Or even pay for the renovations.   I blame both Hess and Koch for not doing the obvious.

In the summer of 1978 the Jets were actively marketing on wplj to try and sell season tickets at…$8.00 a ticket and preseason tix were free, me and my brother took the dive lol They didn’t sell out home games until 1979 (that’s when the blackouts were lifted). So I’m not quite sure the Jets were very profitable back then.

Hess definitely cared about the fans. That’s why he said he made the move to the meadowlands.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Agree with all of this and that one of  Leon’s main gripes was the bathroom situation at Shea and was telling the fan base that he has their comfort and safety in mind when in reality he didn’t want to be what he perceived as a second class citizen at Shea so he goes and kisses Maras ass to play at FU@KING GIANTS STADIUM where he is the ultimate second class citizen Talk about being a dam hypocrite Move was made for money and money alone since Giants stadium was able to hold over 10,000 more fans than Shea 

The home games were blacked out at Shea up until 1979. The Giants games weren’t blacked out even though they sucked at the time. Hess wasn’t stupid.

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

No doubt Shea was a pit and a poor venue for football but there was no place better when the Jets were playing and was a good game going on The place was loud as hell and stands were literally rocking up and down. Never ever had the same atmosphere at FU@KING GIANTS STADIUM  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, BP said:

In the summer of 1978 the Jets were actively marketing on wplj to try and sell season tickets at…$8.00 a ticket and preseason tix were free, me and my brother took the dive lol They didn’t sell out home games until 1979 (that’s when the blackouts were lifted). So I’m not quite sure the Jets were very profitable back then.

Hess definitely cared about the fans. That’s why he said he made the move to the meadowlands.

The last thing Hess needed was ticket revenue from the Jets.   The team was a hobby for him.  In no way do I believe Hess could not have funded the renovation of Shea or built his own stadium somewhere else in NY.  Problem is that the desire, or imagination, for this simple answer to the supposed Shea issues was not in his heart.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BP said:

Disagree completely. Hess didn’t give one crap about the fans and the way the NFL is set up mainly through the efforts of Lamar Hunt every team is profitable Was true then and even more so today Besides do yo really think Hess needed the Jets to be profitable. The expenses the Jets had were basically tip money for him

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

The last thing Hess needed was ticket revenue from the Jets.   The team was a hobby for him.  In no way do I believe Hess could not have funded the renovation of Shea or built his own stadium somewhere else in NY.  Problem is that the desire, or imagination, for this simple answer to the supposed Shea issues was not in his heart.

They didn’t want to pay to keep John Riggins and you expect him to pay for a new stadium? They were cheap because he was probably losing money owning the team. And add on top of that they sucked in the mid 70’s. And took a total sh*t in 83 (waltons first season as hc). My last game at Shea was watching rookie Eric Dickerson run a 90 to run lol not too many fond memories at Shea.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, CSNY said:

Disagree completely. Hess didn’t give one crap about the fans and the way the NFL is set up mainly through the efforts of Lamar Hunt every team is profitable Was true then and even more so today 

The Giants were selling out every game through the 70’s. And every giants  home game (even in the Yale bowl) was on tv. Shea was deserted in the mid 70’s and no jet home games were on tv. How did the Jets make money?

2 minutes ago, BP said:

The Giants were selling out every game through the 70’s. And every giants  home game (even in the Yale bowl) was on tv. Shea was deserted in the mid 70’s and no jet home games were on tv. How did the Jets make money?

Disagree. The games at that time had to have no more than 5000 available seats by Friday to have blackout lifted. By no means was Shea deserted   Let’s also not forget the Giants were around since the NFL started and were the only game in town for so many years. Just stands to reason they will be sold out by having a larger fan base since they were around longer. It is like that with baseball ( Yankees versus Mets ) Hockey ( Rangers versus islanders or Devils) and Basketball ( Knicks versus Nets ) 

22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually as it turned out neither Todd nor Robinson was any good.  

i guess i was in robinson's camp when that all went down.  todd wasn't bad but i think he was drafted, in part, because of his scrambling ability but when he finally got to play he really wasn't much of one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BP said:

They didn’t want to pay to keep John Riggins and you expect him to pay for a new stadium? They were cheap because he was probably losing money owning the team. And add on top of that they sucked in the mid 70’s. And took a total sh*t in 83 (waltons first season as hc). My last game at Shea was watching rookie Eric Dickerson run a 90 to run lol not too many fond memories at Shea.

All good points.  But I'm never going to give Hess a pass.  Folks may argue otherwise, but in terms of having our own identity, we've never been the same team since moving to Giants Stadium.   Sh*tty as Shea was, it was still ours.  

Again, all I'm saying is that it was an idiotic decision by both Hess and Koch to let the Jets move.  Identity, fans, jobs were all lost for nothing more than a new stadium or renovation could have avoided.   Give Hess tax breaks, whatever.   But keep the team from becoming a tenant in Mara's house.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2