Any Old Timers out there?

7 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Thanks for this bit of history, JetsFanatic.  Yup, I remember that.

But, once again, I fail to see how all these dopes could not have worked something out to keep the team in NY.  You keep negotiating until a deal is done.   Failing that, again, Hess needs to put the team temporarily in Yankee Stadium, the Yale Bowl, or anywhere else until his new NY park is built.   Just how I feel.

Back in the early 80s, stadiums were not built with private funding.  If Hess built his own stadium, that would have been unprecedented.  I was a Jets fan starting in 1966 and STH from 1981 until this season.  The Jets got royally screwed in Shea.  NYC owned the stadium, but the Mets were the "primary" tenants.  The Mets received a portion of the stadium revenues from Jets games. If the Mets made the postseason, the Jets were  not permitted to play home games.  In 1973, the Jets played the first 6 games on the road and ended up with only 6 home games.  And Shea was a pit back then.  It was built as a baseball stadium. 50% of the seats were in the end zone and it only held 60,000 fans. 1/3 of the field was dirt.  It was colder than the North Pole and windier than Chicago.  If you went to the bathroom, you needed wading boots.  The Jets just tried to get a fair deal from Koch and NYC and the Mets and were given the middle finger.  

The blame lies squarely with Koch and NYC. Hess was forced to move.  

Yes, Shea held great memories from the 60s and some great seasons in the early 80s.  As a fan, the crowd was loud and the atmosphere was great.  There some iconic games from the AFC title game in 68 to three great games in 81 - the Miami "Todd is God" comeback, the playoff clinching demolition of GB, and the thrilling playoff game vs the Bill (with the entire stadium shaking in the 4th quarter).  But Giants Stadium was a better facility and actually gave the Jets a better deal without having to worry about the Mets.  The Jets and Hess were lobbying for a new stadium or a better lease for years and years and NYC would not budge.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

On 11/11/2021 at 9:57 AM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Todd had injured ribs in the comeback game vs Miami '81

Yes, you're totally correct.....ribs.  I remember all the worry going into that game as to whether the flack jacket would do it's job and prevent Todd from having the cracked rib he was trying to play with from puncturing a lung if he was hit bad enough.

If I recall correctly Todd lead the Jets to their only TD of the day, driving the entire field with that cracked rib, in the final minutes of the game.  When he hit Barkum for the winning score as time ran out I think that it was the loudest I had ever heard Shea Stadium, like a bomb went off.

That 1981 team was such an exciting Jet team, both sides of the ball.... Wesley Walker, the great Freeman McNeil, great OL, Richard Todd having some great moments, to say he was bad across the board like some do is a bum rap, real TEs in Mickey Shuler and Barkum....D..The Sack Exchange.....team was loaded, I think it was the best on paper overall.

Then it al ended, shockingly, suddenly, in the mud in Miami.  Shula took advantage of the rains to allow them to destroy the field and negate the Jets very material speed and talent advantage they had on Miami.

It seemed meant to be for them to get to the Super Bowl and win...the annihilation of Kenny Anderson and the Bengals in Cincinnati, going to Oakland and beating Al Davis' Raiders.......and then Miami.

• Post of the Week 1

The most lasting memory I have from that “ mud bowl “ game is not the 5 interceptions thrown by Todd or AJ Duhe running one of those picks back for a TD but the image I still have in my head all these years later is of Marvin Powell blocking the D end , being right in front of him and getting pushed back directly into Todd. Not because Powell was getting steamrolled as he had great position but that his feet were sliding in the mud and couldn’t gain any traction to stop the rush. Pisses me off still to this day as that we lost to David fuching Woodley as that team was definitely a championship caliber squad and ultimately led to Waldos meltdown        ( Waldo was the Jets second best coach after Weeb and it’s not close) which led into Joe “ pick a winner “ Walton. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Yes, you're totally correct.....ribs.  I remember all the worry going into that game as to whether the flack jacket would do it's job and prevent Todd from having the cracked rib he was trying to play with from puncturing a lung if he was hit bad enough.

If I recall correctly Todd lead the Jets to their only TD of the day, driving the entire field with that cracked rib, in the final minutes of the game.  When he hit Barkum for the winning score as time ran out I think that it was the loudest I had ever heard Shea Stadium, like a bomb went off.

That 1981 team was such an exciting Jet team, both sides of the ball.... Wesley Walker, the great Freeman McNeil, great OL, Richard Todd having some great moments, to say he was bad across the board like some do is a bum rap, real TEs in Mickey Shuler and Barkum....D..The Sack Exchange.....team was loaded, I think it was the best on paper overall.

Then it al ended, shockingly, suddenly, in the mud in Miami.  Shula took advantage of the rains to allow them to destroy the field and negate the Jets very material speed and talent advantage they had on Miami.

It seemed meant to be for them to get to the Super Bowl and win...the annihilation of Kenny Anderson and the Bengals in Cincinnati, going to Oakland and beating Al Davis' Raiders.......and then Miami.

This thread brings back so many fond memories of that era of Jets football which brings me back to the days of my youth. 
The building of the team started with Ron Wolf and Waldo drafting good hard nosed players in the mid to late 70’s as I , along with my friend met, hung out with and became friendly with. 
How we got to become friends with quite a few members of that squad was one day the daily news ran an article about how that team which was so young rented rooms and houses during the season  in Point Lookout Long Island which was a little summer town maybe 10-15 miles south of Hofstra The article told a story of how some of the players rented rooms from Mrs. Gillespie who lived there year round whose children were grown and moved out and how she would cook and clean for the guys on the team and naturally they called her “ Mama Gillespie “   Article went on to say that every Monday night they guys would go to a bar restaurant called” Chicolinos” also in Point Lookout to watch Monday Night Football  Well my friend and I read this and naturally we just had to go to meet the guys on our favorite team.

We went every Monday and became first name basis friendly with players like Dierking Darryl “ the Colonel “Austin ( man the Colonel could drink beer) Dan Alexander Tom Newton Kevin Long Greg Buttle ( who was the only pompous ass as the rest of team were just regular guys who liked a cold beer and hanging out ) and a bunch of others We played darts with them was invited to join in Horse shoe tournaments and BBQ thrown by the bar. 
So thanks to the OP as this thread brings back so many great memories 

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

You have conflated the 81 and 82 seasons. 1981 ended with the Wild Card playoff loss to the Bills when Simpson intercepted Todd’s pass to Gafney in the end zone( he was open) after the Jets furious heart thumping comeback down 24-0.   82 was the strike shortened season with the  “ road warrior” playoff run that ended with the Mud Bowl. 

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

The most lasting memory I have from that “ mud bowl “ game is not the 5 interceptions thrown by Todd or AJ Duhe running one of those picks back for a TD but the image I still have in my head all these years later is of Marvin Powell blocking the D end , being right in front of him and getting pushed back directly into Todd. Not because Powell was getting steamrolled as he had great position but that his feet were sliding in the mud and couldn’t gain any traction to stop the rush. Pisses me off still to this day as that we lost to David fuching Woodley as that team was definitely a championship caliber squad and ultimately led to Waldos meltdown        ( Waldo was the Jets second best coach after Weeb and it’s not close) which led into Joe “ pick a winner “ Walton. 

I will never forgive Shula for that game. For me, it forever tarnished him and his intentional failure to cover the field was cheating . The Jets were an athletic team and the Fish were plodders. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Back in the early 80s, stadiums were not built with private funding.  If Hess built his own stadium, that would have been unprecedented.  I was a Jets fan starting in 1966 and STH from 1981 until this season.  The Jets got royally screwed in Shea.  NYC owned the stadium, but the Mets were the "primary" tenants.  The Mets received a portion of the stadium revenues from Jets games. If the Mets made the postseason, the Jets were  not permitted to play home games.  In 1973, the Jets played the first 6 games on the road and ended up with only 6 home games.  And Shea was a pit back then.  It was built as a baseball stadium. 50% of the seats were in the end zone and it only held 60,000 fans. 1/3 of the field was dirt.  It was colder than the North Pole and windier than Chicago.  If you went to the bathroom, you needed wading boots.  The Jets just tried to get a fair deal from Koch and NYC and the Mets and were given the middle finger.  

Yes, Shea held great memories from the 60s and some great seasons in the early 80s.  As a fan, the crowd was loud and the atmosphere was great.  There some iconic games from the AFC title game in 68 to three great games in 81 - the Miami "Todd is God" comeback, the playoff clinching demolition of GB, and the thrilling playoff game vs the Bill (with the entire stadium shaking in the 4th quarter).  But Giants Stadium was a better facility and actually gave the Jets a better deal without having to worry about the Mets.  The Jets and Hess were lobbying for a new stadium or a better lease for years and years and NYC would not budge.

Great post.   You're preaching to the choir about Shea.  I was there lots of times starting in the 60s for Jets/Mets games and can attest to the deplorable conditions.  You want to give Hess a pass?  Fine, I respect that.   I don't.   As I said before, all parties share in this decision.  Keep negotiating.  Find an equitable situation better than the Jets leaving town for NJ.  Why not seek your own funding for a stadium if Hess was so unhappy?

Although I think they are equally clueless for leaving NY and their fans, at least the Maras sought a creative solution for getting a new stadium.   Hess wasn't that clever or just didn't want to expend the energy.   Did he approach Nassau County about a deal?  I have no idea if they did or not.  But going right across the border seems like it would have made a lot of sense.

Instead, Hess just took the easy route going into another team's park as a tenant.  No doubt palms were greased for him to jump into bed with the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority and head into that God-forsaken swamp.   Leaving behind lots of fans who did not want to deal with the traffic and time it took driving into NJ for a game instead of jumping on a subway or LIRR.  

The Jet move is a polarizing issue among us fans.  At least for me, I will never accept that Jets moving into brand spanking new--soulless--Giants Stadium.   As Jet fans going to games out there, that big blue sign at the top of the stadium was the first thing we noticed.   Showed us that as bad as Shea was, this place was definitely not our home.

On 11/12/2021 at 9:27 AM, munchmemory said:

The last thing Hess needed was ticket revenue from the Jets.   The team was a hobby for him.  In no way do I believe Hess could not have funded the renovation of Shea or built his own stadium somewhere else in NY.  Problem is that the desire, or imagination, for this simple answer to the supposed Shea issues was not in his heart.

Shea was owned by the NYC, Hess couldn't renovate anything, it wasnt his stadium and the Mets were the primary tenants.  He would have had to build a stadium on his own land and funded most of it because Koch and the city wouldnt have gone in, they proved that with their dealings with the Giants

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The move to the Meadowlands when announced was suppose to be temporary. Leon Hess did ZERO over the last 14 years of his life to find the Jets their own stadium. Nothing.

• Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I remember the Mets got half of the Jets parking revenue and half of the food concessions.  

Hess was an old school, oil baron, who's word was everything.  He abided by principles he felt all business men should abide by. They had set up meetings with Koch and city reps to try and work out an acceptable deal for a new football stadium and Koch blew him off.  Left the old man to stew, apparently thinking this was a good ploy to put Hess in his place, sitting in an office waiting on the mayor.  That supposedly was the last straw, that when Koch blew Hess off and left him sitting there Hess, who didnt want to leave NY, gave Koch and the city the old "F-you" and accepted the NJ offer of the stadium

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Shea was owned by the NYC, Hess couldn't renovate anything, it wasnt his stadium and the Mets were the primary tenants.  He would have had to build a stadium on his own land and funded most of it because Koch and the city wouldnt have gone in, they proved that with their dealings with the Giants

Exactly.

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Great post.   You're preaching to the choir about Shea.  I was there lots of times starting in the 60s for Jets/Mets games and can attest to the deplorable conditions.  You want to give Hess a pass?  Fine, I respect that.   I don't.   As I said before, all parties share in this decision.  Keep negotiating.  Find an equitable situation better than the Jets leaving town for NJ.  Why not seek your own funding for a stadium if Hess was so unhappy?

Although I think they are equally clueless for leaving NY and their fans, at least the Maras sought a creative solution for getting a new stadium.   Hess wasn't that clever or just didn't want to expend the energy.   Did he approach Nassau County about a deal?  I have no idea if they did or not.  But going right across the border seems like it would have made a lot of sense.

Instead, Hess just took the easy route going into another team's park as a tenant.  No doubt palms were greased for him to jump into bed with the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority and head into that God-forsaken swamp.   Leaving behind lots of fans who did not want to deal with the traffic and time it took driving into NJ for a game instead of jumping on a subway or LIRR.  

The Jet move is a polarizing issue among us fans.  At least for me, I will never accept that Jets moving into brand spanking new--soulless--Giants Stadium.   As Jet fans going to games out there, that big blue sign at the top of the stadium was the first thing we noticed.   Showed us that as bad as Shea was, this place was definitely not our home.

Shea was not home either.  It may as well have been named Mets Stadium.  The Jets were tenants there as well, so why was that any better or different from Giants Stadium?  And Nassau County didn't step up either. As it turned out, Nassau County came within a whisker of losing the Islanders a few times- so I'm not sure that was a solution either.  Would you have preferred that Hess move the team to Indianapolis?  At least they stayed in the metro area.  I actually moved to NJ in 1985 so it worked out for me as a STH, but then moved to Connecticut in 1987 and I made the trip to NJ 8+ times a year. Then I moved back to NJ in 1998 and my trip got shorter.  I just don't agree Hess was to blame.  NYC would not budge.  Without Giants Stadium, the Jets might be in another city.  The thing that really pissed me off was the NYC invested all that money in the US Tennis Center right across the way from Shea, but did nothing for the Jets. So all that money for a week of tennis with 20,000 fans ?  Really?  Tennis?  Then when Hess moved the Jets, the city poured money into Shea to make it much nicer.  Of all three stadiums the Jets have played in, Giants Stadium was by far the best in terms of site lines, parking, noise, etc.  The Jets moving to NJ is no different than another team moving from one suburban location to another in the same metro area. 

The real shame was not getting the West Side Stadium. That would have been tremendous.  I hope Silver enjoyed his time in prison and I will never ever root for a Dolan owned team (hate the Rangers anyway and could not care less about the Knicks).  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You have conflated the 81 and 82 seasons. 1981 ended with the Wild Card playoff loss to the Bills when Simpson intercepted Todd’s pass to Gafney in the end zone( he was open) after the Jets furious heart thumping comeback down 24-0.   82 was the strike shortened season with the  “ road warrior” playoff run that ended with the Mud Bowl. 

On that cold day in 1981, I sat in the right field mezz level boxes, just to the left of where the baseball foul poll would be.  I watched the Jets make a miraculous comeback from all the 1st qtr blunders that gave the Bills such a large lead.  On that final drive, the entire right field loge/mezz/upper deck was shaking and moving.  I sewar, it felt like the tiers were going to coolapse, the crowd was so pumped.  Todd's INT happened right in front of me.  Sucked the air out of every fan in that packed dump of a stadium.   A memorable moment in Jets history.

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

On that cold day in 1981, I sat in the right field mezz level boxes, just to the left of where the baseball foul poll would be.  I watched the Jets make a miraculous comeback from all the 1st qtr blunders that gave the Bills such a large lead.  On that final drive, the entire right field loge/mezz/upper deck was shaking and moving.  I sewar, it felt like the tiers were going to coolapse, the crowd was so pumped.  Todd's INT happened right in front of me.  Sucked the air out of every fan in that packed dump of a stadium.   A memorable moment in Jets history.

I remember that game so vividly.  I also remember not being so upset because I thought the Jets had "arrived."  Little did we know that it was the first of so many disappointing playoff and key regular season losses.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I remember that game so vividly.  I also remember not being so upset because I thought the Jets had "arrived."  Little did we know that it was the first of so many disappointing playoff and key regular season losses.  

Game started off with Harper fumbling away the opening KO and seemed to get worse until they got it together and took the game to the final minute.  Was a great game, a huge disappointment but a sign of good times ahead.  Until Miami a few years later and that cheating POS Don Shula 

10 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Haha...you're absolutely right.  That also shows how long ago it was, although it still feels like yesterday.  When I hit "submit reply" on that post I actually knew I messed up the years.  Although I was wrong on the years that doesn't change how exciting those teams were.

Bill Simpson picking Todd off in the end zone to end that wild card game in 81, Bruce Harper fumbling the opening KO and having it run back as the Jets quickly fell way behind.  Me and my buddies jumping in the air ready to celebrate the ferocious comeback to take Buffalo down, and when that ball was picked, just silence and the feel like you just got hit with a sucker punch.

yeah even on our crappy tv of forty years ago it felt like it was the most intense jet home crowd in history.
you could not recreate that atmosphere in either swamp joint.
the whole game is on youtube still i think. one vivid memory was gastineau trying to pick and run a cribbs fumble down 24-0. he had his eyes on the wide open end zone and flubbed it.
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, CSNY said:

Yeah it was miserable to lose to that "Woodstock" Miami team that always seemed to need some kind of trick play or of course letting their field that was a fast track turn into Mud to slow down the more talented team, in order to win.

It was bittersweet, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching John Riggins stomp all over them in the Super Bowl as Washington blew Miami and Shula's doors off.  I truly believe that Jet team would have put up a much tougher fight and maybe even won.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Yeah it was miserable to lose to that "Woodstock" Miami team that always seemed to need some kind of trick play or of course letting their field that was a fast track turn into Mud to slow down the more talented team, in order to win.

It was bittersweet, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching John Riggins stomp all over them in the Super Bowl as Washington blew Miami and Shula's doors off.  I truly believe that Jet team would have put up a much tougher fight and maybe even won.

Riggo was definitely one that got away. Should have been a Jet for life.

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Joe Willie. No doubt in my mind the Jets would have beaten the Skins ( of course my opinion is a wee bit biased?) but I truly think the Sack Exchange would have held Riggins in check forcing them to pass which would have played right into our hands. Gastineau would have had a big game as he was just too fast off the ball for their tackles to handle when they dropped back to pass. Joe Willie I was so confident of a Jet victory I would have even GUARANTEED IT 

I wonder if there are any computer sites where they can play a simulated game of those two teams to see who would win. I remember years ago the NFL did computer playoff with all of the Super Bowl winning teams which made for some great discussion having a beer at the local tavern just don’t remember who was named the winner 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I missed that game.  I was a fan since 68, when my dad took m e to my first game at Shea in November and then two months later, they were Champs.  Jets were Champs, they were my team and it was awesome.  At 7 years old, I thought it would always be like that.   Then I suffer through an entire decade without a winning record, and my beloved Jets finally make it back to the playoffs, but my sister chooses that very same day to get married.  Wedding in the afternoon while the game was being played. 

The marriage went about as well as that playoff game, but in reverse.  They seemed happy enough at first, but it all fell apart in the second half.

5 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I have to disagree there.  That was a dominant Football Team team.  While I agree we would've put up a good fight, I don't think we'd have won.  Miami put up a very tough fight against them as it was.  

Btw, I'm sure it's just a typo but it was "WoodStrock".

3 hours ago, CSNY said:

Joe Willie. No doubt in my mind the Jets would have beaten the Skins ( of course my opinion is a wee bit biased?) but I truly think the Sack Exchange would have held Riggins in check forcing them to pass which would have played right into our hands. Gastineau would have had a big game as he was just too fast off the ball for their tackles to handle when they dropped back to pass. Joe Willie I was so confident of a Jet victory I would have even GUARANTEED IT 

I wonder if there are any computer sites where they can play a simulated game of those two teams to see who would win. I remember years ago the NFL did computer playoff with all of the Super Bowl winning teams which made for some great discussion having a beer at the local tavern just don’t remember who was named the winner 

The following year, prior to their crushing SB loss to the Raiders, that team was being talked about as the GOAT.    I don't think we would've beaten them.  Gibbs is a legend and that whole team was just so tough all around.  

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The following year, prior to their crushing SB loss to the Raiders, that team was being talked about as the GOAT.    I don't think we would've beaten them.  Gibbs is a legend and that whole team was just so tough all around.  

Tuscany. Yes Gibbs was as a good a coach as there was and they weee a good tough team but I really think we matched up well against them on both sides of the ball. The key would have been our d line which in my opinion would have played an excellent game as Klecko was fast and strong and Gatineau was just as fast they would have given May and Jacoby fits since they wouldn’t have been able to handle their pass rush speed. Lyons and Saalaam never got pushed around on the inside so I think we win the game right there. 
Thats why I would love to see a simulated game against these two teams would be very interesting 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CSNY said:

Tuscany. Yes Gibbs was as a good a coach as there was and they weee a good tough team but I really think we matched up well against them on both sides of the ball. The key would have been our d line which in my opinion would have played an excellent game as Klecko was fast and strong and Gatineau was just as fast they would have given May and Jacoby fits since they wouldn’t have been able to handle their pass rush speed. Lyons and Saalaam never got pushed around on the inside so I think we win the game right there. 
Thats why I would love to see a simulated game against these two teams would be very interesting 

The Redskins (hogs) would have never run on that Jets D. We would have beat them in the SB.