Panthers agree to terms with Newton

fullblast

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So can the James Morgan fan boys bow down before the might of the 'James Morgan was a wasted pick' crowd?

Yes, you, you and especially YOU!  Bow down!  NOW!

Taking shots on QBs in the 4th are never wasted picks.

Perine was a wasted pick though.  That one was terrible. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So can the James Morgan fan boys bow down before the might of the 'James Morgan was a wasted pick' crowd?

Yes, you, you and especially YOU!  Bow down!  NOW!

Nah it was not a bad pick at the time. Could we have been better off going a different direction? Sure, but I am not going to kill JD for improving the QB room almost ever. 

I find it funny that the Panthers are signing Newton. Seems like a complete fan-service move, and Carolina plays the WFT (I hope they keep that name) next week so it could be for insight on the offense for that game. Also, add in the fact that Newton is even worse of a QB than Sam at this point and this move is just dumb.

They are exactly no where on QB, and we own their 2nd pick. They also owe Sam like $18M to play next year. They will either need to mortgage the future for a high draft pick, or tread water with some veteran. I cannot imagine Sam is part of their plans. Maybe they sell Sam for like a 2023 7th rounder and cover half the salary. Some team like the Saints might take that flyer.

The complete disarray of the QB position in Carolina once again points out that head coaches should not be given control over the draft and rosters. Just too much conflict between short term and long term goals to be effective.

I am also glad we did not get Rhule.  He is one of the least impressive head coaches in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Taking shots on QBs in the 4th are never wasted picks.

Perine was a wasted pick though.  That one was terrible. 

If the Qb in question is worthy of udfa or 7th round status and if you pass up on all sorts of guys that can help it sure is.  We picked Morgan a full round ahead of Bryce Hall.

6 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

The pick of James Morgan was the worst pick of both of JD's draft.

An incredible waste of a pick.  

Not quite Hackenberg-worthy but not far off.  

At least Hack played for a major college program. 

Morgan played for FIU. Thats Essentially a community College with dorms.

FAU is a bigger program. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

At least Hack played for a major college program. 

Morgan played for FIU. Thats Essentially a community College with dorms.

FAU is a bigger program. 

The 2nd best QB in Jets history went to UC Davis.  The 3rd best went to Western Kentucky.

Hackenberg certainly went to a big program but he also couldn’t complete 60 % of his throws against Indiana.  In 4 tries.  

People need to stop factoring in a QB’s school so heavily when evaluating QB prospects.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If the Qb in question is worthy of udfa or 7th round status and if you pass up on all sorts of guys that can help it sure is.  We picked Morgan a full round ahead of Bryce Hall.

If it’s true that Belichick was strongly considering taking a shot on Morgan in the 5th, then he wasn’t really a 7th/UDFA caliber prospect.

Everything I saw pre-draft had Morgan as one of the top 10 or so QB prospects in the class and he would get taken somewhere in that 4th-6th range as a decent developmental guy.  I just googled “James Morgan pre draft evaluation”.  One had him 3rd-5th, another had him as a “Day 2” guy, another as a “late rounder” and another had him as a “5th-6th rounder”.  So I don’t know where you’re getting this take that Morgan was essentially undraftable.

And who cares that he was taken a round ahead of Hall?  We still ended up with Hall, lol.  If we’d missed out on him because of Morgan, you could certainly use that against Douglas.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

The pick of James Morgan was the worst pick of both of JD's draft.

An incredible waste of a pick.  

Not quite Hackenberg-worthy but not far off.  

It was just terrible from the start.  No second guessing, I hated it on draft day and it played out even worse for JD.   

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

It was just terrible from the start.  No second guessing, I hated it on draft day and it played out even worse for JD.   

100%--no second guess on my part either.  Completely hated the pick as it was being made and nothing since then has changed my mind.  

What a choice--Chase Claypool or a damaged Mims, Captain Morgan soon to be out of the league and Cameron Clarke who has suited up for the exact number of games I have suited up for.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

QB-needy team drafts a big-armed QB in the 4th round.  Outrage ensues.  

That’s the problem. He wasn’t a “big armed” QB and his accuracy was for s**t.   White has a bigger arm than Morgan.   The Jets have made way worse draft blunders than Morgan, but I just didn’t see any value in taking him there.  Like I said, not second guessing, I hated it from day one.  

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There are UDFA QBs or FA QBs every year that are as good or better than Morgan.  We've annoited a guy the savior that while a 5th round pick has been cut TEN times by his 2 teams.  

The "Belichick" was going to take him so WE had to take him first is the funniest unsubstantiated rumor.