Panthers agree to terms with Newton

fullblast

39 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Lol…ok.  He was cut before he ever saw the field and looked terrible in camp this year.    ‘’All the physical tools”??   That’s comical.   I’m not missing anything, it was a bad pick.   Not the end of the world.  It doesn’t even require anymore discussion, it’s wasted energy at this point.  

Its comical to think that because he didnt make the cut it was because he didnt have a strong arm or tools.  He didnt make the team because they tried to get him onto the practice squad and was poached.  

Does his being taken by the Panthers then mean that he has the tools?  Not every pick makes the team, especially late picks, we get it.  4th round QB picks are always developmental shots 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He didnt make the team because they tried to get him onto the practice squad and was poached.  

Technically, he wasn't poached it was his choice.  The Jets offered to sign him to the practice squad as did the Panthers.

As an UFA, he got to choose which practice squad he wanted to sign to.

I'm guessing he chose the Panthers because of the Jets commitment to Wilson and White being above him on the depth chart.  And Sam being in Carolina. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Right?!  He loses me with the tucked in shirt and belted pants nearly up to his chest.  And why the rolled up pant cuffs?  That entire outfit looks like it belongs on an 80 year-old fishing off a jetty.

His fashion sense reminds me of a cross somewhere between Pee Wee's Playhouse and the Village People.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Wow they gave him much more cash than I thought he would rate.

Agree

I read he wanted a multi year deal, the Panthers offered him 2 years.   Cam decided on a $10m prove it deal.

This whole thing doesn't seem to bode well for Darnold.  Seems like both Newton and the Panthers would like him back next year.    Their fan base is thrilled he's back and Sam is on the bench

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Agree
I read he wanted a multi year deal, the Panthers offered him 2 years.   Cam decided on a $10m prove it deal.
This whole thing doesn't seem to bode well for Darnold.  Seems like both Newton and the Panthers would like him back next year.    Their fan base is thrilled he's back and Sam is on the bench
Hmmm.... remember this?

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Haha 4

Rank these QB acquisitions in bad to least bad order:

1. Draft Hackenburg in the 2nd Round
  2. Draft Morgan in the 4th Round.
  3. Draft Darnold number 3 ahead of Allen and Jackson.
  4. Trade a 6th round pick for Flacco when you already have White and Johnson.
  5. Exercise Darnold’s 5th year option.

At least the Jets don’t own all of these.

3 hours ago, varjet said:

Rank these QB acquisitions in bad to least bad order:

1. Draft Hackenburg in the 2nd Round
  2. Draft Morgan in the 4th Round.
  3. Draft Darnold number 3 ahead of Allen and Jackson.
  4. Trade a 6th round pick for Flacco when you already have White and Johnson.
  5. Exercise Darnold’s 5th year option.

At least the Jets don’t own all of these.

No thanks 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Technically, he wasn't poached it was his choice.  The Jets offered to sign him to the practice squad as did the Panthers.

As an UFA, he got to choose which practice squad he wanted to sign to.

I'm guessing he chose the Panthers because of the Jets commitment to Wilson and White being above him on the depth chart.  And Sam being in Carolina. 

He was an UFA?  

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He was an UFA?  

Being outright cut, not sure he was subject to a waiver claim and if he was, I think he needed to be added to an active roster.  I THINK, you can only poach someone off, say, a practice squad if you sign them to the active roster for a certain period of time.  I don't think you can poach a player from a practice squad and put him on your practice squad.  In any event, he wasn't on our PS so he was given a choice where to sign.  That sounds like an UFA.  

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/04/new-york-jets-robert-saleh-not-worried-about-james-morgan-signing-panthers/

James Morgan followed Sam Darnold to Carolina when he chose to sign on to the Panthers practice squad after the Jets cut him last week.

While the move is a lateral one for Morgan – the Jets wanted to sign him to their practice squad – it’s intriguing because the Panthers face New York in Week 1. Morgan’s familiarity with the Jets’ playbook could certainly have affected the Panthers’ decision to sign the quarterback, but Robert Saleh isn’t worried about Morgan leaking team secrets.

“Teams do it all the time,” Saleh said Thursday. “I don’t know if that’s something we would ever do. But at the same time, I know the people in Carolina and I’m sure they’re genuine and sincere in giving him an opportunity to show that he’s a good quarterback and that he belongs in this league rather than using him for something they can see on tape.”

Saleh is right. It isn’t uncommon for teams to sign or trade for players that were previously with a team the new organization will face that season. Gang Green famously traded for former Patriots quarterback Kevin O’Connell after he signed with the Lions before Rex Ryan’s first season. The Jets denied the move was about prying New England’s playbook out of O’Connell, though.

Saleh added that while he wishes Morgan had chosen the Jets, he understood why a team like the Panthers might be a better opportunity for him. The Jets are fully committed to Zach Wilson for the next few years, while Darnold’s future with the Panthers isn’t set in stone, yet.

“However [Morgan] saw that to benefit himself is what’s most important,” Saleh said. “For him to take advantage of the opportunities and grow – that’s what’s most important.”

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

You don't read so goodly.  Whatever, you sound angry so have at it.  

If someone doesn't understand your point... maybe you could try to make it better.

Or just call the person angry and assume you explained it well.

If your goal is to convey information, the choice is clear.

If your goal is to extricate yourself from a poor argument, your choice is equally clear.

Just now, jgb said:

If someone doesn't understand your point... maybe you could try to make it better.

Or just call the person angry and assume you explained it well.

If your goal is to convey information, the choice is clear.

If your goal is to extricate yourself from a poor argument, your choice is equally clear.

I've made my point to my satisfaction.  If you don't understand it, or choose to ignore it, that's on you.  

I've been off the Sam bandwagon for a while.  I wanted him traded and wanted Zach.  

That he had a few good games to start the year, good on him.  Hurt our draft picks, bad on us.  It's clear he's REALLy terrible regardless of who is to blame but it looks like it's mostly him.

I think the obsessive hate is kind of funny, but not the ha ha type of funny. 

But keep pestering me if you feel compelled, it's a rainy day, work's kind of slow today and I'm bored.  

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

I've made my point to my satisfaction.  If you don't understand it, or choose to ignore it, that's on you.  

I've been off the Sam bandwagon for a while.  I wanted him traded and wanted Zach.  

That he had a few good games to start the year, good on him.  Hurt our draft picks, bad on us.  It's clear he's REALLy terrible regardless of who is to blame but it looks like it's mostly him.

I think the obsessive hate is kind of funny, but not the ha ha type of funny. 

But keep pestering me if you feel compelled, it's a rainy day, work's kind of slow today and I'm bored.  

You are an interesting bird.