Disney in Negotiations to Sign the NFL Sunday Ticket for ESPN+

Ken Schroy

Disney Is Reportedly Interested in Adding Sunday Ticket to ESPN+

NFL Sunday Ticket is becoming a hot commodity, especially since the league commented that it considers the package a streaming product, and its current deal with DirecTV set to expire in 2022. Now, according to a new report from Sports Business Journal, Disney is showing more interest in acquiring the service for ESPN+. From the report: 

Disney CEO Bob Chapek revealed the company is “in discussions and negotiations with the NFL” for the Sunday Ticket rights, and the company as a whole remains “very bullish on sports.”  Earlier this year, we reported that Disney was interested in acquiring rights to the NFL’s out-of-market service. At the time, Chapek noted that the company would only pursue the deal if they found it made financial sense. At the time, CNBC reported that the NFL was asking between $2 billion and $2.5 billion. A bidding war could be happening soon as many companies are interested in the out-of-market games package. Disney could face fierce competition from Apple, which is a favorite to land the service. Rumors are still floating that ESPN could spin-off from Disney one day, but if they decided to keep the networks, then Sunday Ticket on ESPN+ would be a game-winner.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/disney-is-reportedly-interested-in-adding-sunday-ticket-to-espn/?source=home

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

• 2 months later...

Disney+ Confirms Interest in Sunday Ticket as it Reaches 129.8 Million Subscribers

Speaking to CNBC after the report was released, Bob Chapek, CEO of The Walt Disney Company, reiterated the company’s goal of reaching between 230 million and 260 million Disney+ subscribers by 2024. “That’s been our target, and that continues to be our target,” Chapek said.

During an interview with CNBC, Chapek also confirmed that Disney will be bidding on NFL Sunday Ticket rights. Disney is just one of the big names in the running for the NFL out of market package rights. Amazon, Apple, and Google are just a few of the other names we’ve been reporting on when it comes to scoring Sunday Ticket rights after the current deal with DIRECTV expires at the end of this season. Chapek shared that Disney is “in discussions and negotiations with the NFL” back in November, with the company likely looking at plans to bring the package to ESPN+, which reached 21.3 million subscribers by the end of the quarter, as an add-on.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/disney-confirms-interest-in-sunday-ticket-as-it-reaches-129-8-million-subscribers/?source=home

Huge, huge win for everyone if this happens. Boxing and UFC events/coverage have gotten ******* amazing since ESPN+ took it over.  They've also worked out a lot of the kinks with the app now. I was rooting for Apple or Amazon but whatever gets all the little niche and network games on the same service is really what we're all after at this point and Disney seems to have their finger on the pulse of streaming in that regard. 

• Upvote 3

On 11/11/2021 at 5:26 PM, Warfish said:

Perhaps, but a Parasite we can all utilize.

Direct TV is not available to many of us (in my case because of trees), and they restrict their online version too.

At least with Disney, they'll happily just take my money and not deny me. 

Why would they be any worse than Direct TV?

It really all just comes down to the fact that Sunday Ticket's app is terrible at a time where nobody has any excuses for rolling out a terrible app anymore. Disney+'s suite is all well run and ESPN+'s streaming services all run smooth and organized at this point. I use Prime's NBA All Access service and it's OK, so they would be fine too, but Disney and ESPN seem to do all of this the best, IMO. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Huge, huge win for everyone if this happens. Boxing and UFC events/coverage have gotten ******* amazing since ESPN+ took it over.  They've also worked out a lot of the kinks with the app now. I was rooting for Apple or Amazon but whatever gets all the little niche and network games on the same service is really what we're all after at this point and Disney seems to have their finger on the pulse of streaming in that regard. 

UFC and Boxing produce their own shows unlike the major sports really has nothing to do with ESPN...honestly the NFL should do the same it would eliminate all the nonsense in their broadcasts.  But yeah the ESPN+ app has worked pretty well for me.

Direct TV is not available to many of us (in my case because of trees), and they restrict their online version too.
Wait till Disney has to damage control some of the NFL antics.

Disney is a pretty 'woke' culture... for a profit.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I tried the free broadcasts near the end of the season.   I’ll pay 150ish for Live Games if needed.   The “free” streams are a PITA but not a 400 pain to me.  Included with Disney+ with a small rate increase would be amazing.  

I agree on the “free” streams, but I have no doubt Disney will also charge money just for the FL package on top of the monthly payment.

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I tried the free broadcasts near the end of the season.   I’ll pay 150ish for Live Games if needed.   The “free” streams are a PITA but not a 400 pain to me.  Included with Disney+ with a small rate increase would be amazing.  

I get it was PITA at first when I kept trying it with Reddit, but I've found 2 fairly reliable streams every Sunday, that work 99.9% of the time. I've really had no problem with them. And they work for $0. It beats having to jump in the car and head to Wild Wings.... 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Damage Control.... The NFL is pretty WOKE also, so how is that going to be a problem.

Woke was not the best identifier ...

They wont like the look they get from certain players... the violence against women, the myriad of arrests, the seedy antics by the few ... just dont see peter pan, frozen or toy story being paired with nfl news about odell enjoying a sh*t sandwich, or Deshuan not being satisfied with his latest rub and tug.

But if the $$$ are right ...

... though with the Flores issues in the news .. woke could be used i guess ... but not my original intention ... any women interviewed for the HC spots ... just checking.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Been waiting 7+ years for this. Long time cord cutter. Im also now out of market. I’ll pay for this service.

On 11/11/2021 at 7:26 PM, Warfish said:

10 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Exactly. Out of market fans have been dying for this tbh.

I’m all for this, but FYI, I have been an out of market cord cutter for years - I have Sunday ticket on the PS4 and it works pretty well where I live 

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I’m all for this, but FYI, I have been an out of market cord cutter for years - I have Sunday ticket on the PS4 and it works pretty well where I live 

I'm a part of the PC Gamer Master Race, not a Console Pleb. :D

I'm not buying a Playstation just to get Sunday Ticket.

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

Admittedly i span both worlds. Grew up on the C64 .. dominated Counterstrike on the PC and got hooked on consoles 6 years ago.

C64 was my starting point too. :)

Guess alot of us are of a similar generation, lol.  C64, Apple IIe, then on to the IBM X86's as they developed.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

Admittedly i span both worlds. Grew up on the C64 .. dominated Counterstrike on the PC and got hooked on consoles 6 years ago.

I'm similar - Grew up on PC (I love counterstrike, btw) and Playstation, simultaneously. 

After getting married and later having a son, I had less time for gaming overall and decided to cut PC gaming out. I can't say I regret that decision. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

I'm similar - Grew up on PC (I love counterstrike, btw) and Playstation, simultaneously. 

After getting married and later having a son, I had less time for gaming overall and decided to cut PC gaming out. I can't say I regret that decision. 

There is something to be said for games you can pick up and drop on a moments notice, no doubt, especially as parents with real, actual responsibilities.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warfish said:

There is something to be said for games you can pick up and drop on a moments notice, no doubt, especially as parents with real, actual responsibilities.

This is basically it. 

The other thing is, the PC is in my office and the playstation is out in the family room. I already spend so much time alone in my office working. It feels hard to justify spending additional hours alone in the office just for video games. However, I have definitely thought about firing up some CS:GO, I will admit. 

• Sympathy 1

It will be interesting to see if the streaming service or services that wind up with Sunday Ticket will charge additional for it or include it to entice new customers. I assume it will be part of a higher end package but it might no be as expensive as Direct TV was charging. I still sort of expect Amazon to swoop in at last second and get it,